Virginia Tadrzynski

Default For ALL you BEET LOVERS out there

I saw this on a newsletter I get (credit given at bottom) and automatically
thought of all you avowed Beetists in RFC land.
-Ginny

Here goes:

Beet and Blue Cheese Salad

6 - 8 medium beets, boiled until tender, peeled, sliced
3 Tbs (45 ml) red wine vinegar
3 Tbs (45 ml) walnut oil
1/2 cup (125 ml) walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 lb (110 g) good quality blue cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Gently toss the cooked, sliced beets with the vinegar and oil in a
mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Transfer
the beets to a serving bowl or individual salad plates and sprinkle
with walnuts and blue cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves 4 to 6.

Bon appetit from the Chef at World Wide Recipes

--
"The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated." - Mark Twain

PENMART01

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > writes:

>I saw this on a newsletter I get (credit given at bottom) and automatically
>thought of all you avowed Beetists in RFC land.
>-Ginny
>
>Here goes:
>
>Beet and Blue Cheese Salad
>
>6 - 8 medium beets, boiled until tender, peeled, sliced

<snip>

The recipe will turn out much better with beets roasted... if you're going to
boil beets you may as well use canned.

ROMAINE AND ROASTED-BEET SALAD WITH CREAMY ROQUEFORT DRESSING

Vinegar and mustard give the dressing in this salad an assertive flavor that
contrasts nicely with the sweetness of the beets.
For dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 large shallot, minced
1 tablespoon Sherry wine vinegar
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/3 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese
3 tablespoons whipping cream

For salad
6 medium beets, tops trimmed

3 hearts of romaine lettuce, quartered lengthwise, ends left intact
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 watercress bunch, thick stems trimmed
3/4 cup walnut halves, toasted

Make dressing:
Whisk first 5 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Fold in Roquefort cheese and
cream. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day
ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Make salad:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil beets, s n' p, and bake until tender, about
1 hour 15 minutes. Cool beets; peel and cut each into wedges.

Arrange 2 lettuce quarters crosswise on each of 6 large plates. Surround
lettuce on each plate with beet wedges. Top with some onion slices and
watercress sprigs. Drizzle with dressing, sprinkle with walnuts and serve.

Makes 6 first-course servings.

Bon Appétit
September 1997

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

sf

Sounds good, except I don't think I've ever bought walnut
oil in my entire lifetime. Would another type work?

````````````````````

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:31:49 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

> I saw this on a newsletter I get (credit given at bottom) and automatically
> thought of all you avowed Beetists in RFC land.
> -Ginny
>
> Here goes:
>
> Beet and Blue Cheese Salad
>
> 6 - 8 medium beets, boiled until tender, peeled, sliced
> 3 Tbs (45 ml) red wine vinegar
> 3 Tbs (45 ml) walnut oil
> 1/2 cup (125 ml) walnuts, coarsely chopped
> 1/4 lb (110 g) good quality blue cheese
> Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
>
> Gently toss the cooked, sliced beets with the vinegar and oil in a
> mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Transfer
> the beets to a serving bowl or individual salad plates and sprinkle
> with walnuts and blue cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
> Serves 4 to 6.
>
> Bon appetit from the Chef at World Wide Recipes

Wayne Boatwright

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in
:

> I saw this on a newsletter I get (credit given at bottom) and
> automatically thought of all you avowed Beetists in RFC land.
> -Ginny
>
> Here goes:
>
> Beet and Blue Cheese Salad
>
> 6 - 8 medium beets, boiled until tender, peeled, sliced
> 3 Tbs (45 ml) red wine vinegar
> 3 Tbs (45 ml) walnut oil
> 1/2 cup (125 ml) walnuts, coarsely chopped
> 1/4 lb (110 g) good quality blue cheese
> Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
>
> Gently toss the cooked, sliced beets with the vinegar and oil in a
> mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Transfer
> the beets to a serving bowl or individual salad plates and sprinkle
> with walnuts and blue cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
> Serves 4 to 6.
>
> Bon appetit from the Chef at World Wide Recipes

I think I would like it even better with Pickled Beets.

Wayne

Julian Vrieslander

In article >,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:

> I saw this on a newsletter I get (credit given at bottom) and automatically
> thought of all you avowed Beetists in RFC land.

The proper term is "beetnik". Show some respect.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Jeff Bienstadt

Rosie Miller wrote:

[snippage]

> Ginny, this sounds wonderful except for the BEEETTTTSSSS.
> Rosie.. who has not ever eaten a beet!

Then how do you know you don't like them?

---jkb ...who has eaten beets, and cannot stand them!

--
"No sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!"
-- Stewie Griffin

A.T. Hagan

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:33:19 -0700, Jeff Bienstadt
> wrote:

>Rosie Miller wrote:
>
>[snippage]
>
>> Ginny, this sounds wonderful except for the BEEETTTTSSSS.
>> Rosie.. who has not ever eaten a beet!

>Then how do you know you don't like them?
>
>---jkb ...who has eaten beets, and cannot stand them!

Now, I have to laugh at this one.

My four year old daughter and I go around and around and around about
this all the time. "I don't like that!" "You've never tasted (X) in
your life. How do you know you don't like it?" "I don't like it!"

But, I can truthfully say I've had enough people feed me beets over
the course of my life to say - I don't like that!

The rest of that beet recipe sounded pretty good. Maybe over a nice
green salad - sans beets, of course.

......Alan. <laughing>

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Jeff Bienstadt

A.T. Hagan wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:33:19 -0700, Jeff Bienstadt
> > wrote:
>
>>Rosie Miller wrote:
>>
>>[snippage]
>>
>>> Ginny, this sounds wonderful except for the BEEETTTTSSSS.
>>> Rosie.. who has not ever eaten a beet!

>>Then how do you know you don't like them?
>>
>>---jkb ...who has eaten beets, and cannot stand them!

> Now, I have to laugh at this one.
>
> My four year old daughter and I go around and around and around about
> this all the time. "I don't like that!" "You've never tasted (X) in
> your life. How do you know you don't like it?" "I don't like it!"

My sister was like that, at least through high school. And, she had a long
list of things that she didn't like (that she had never once tried) simply
because my mother didn't like them.

---jkb

--
"Grandma taught me never to judge a species by their eating habits."
-- Commander Tucker

Virginia Tadrzynski

"sf" > wrote in message

> Sounds good, except I don't think I've ever bought walnut
> oil in my entire lifetime. Would another type work?

Tain't got a clue....however I don't see why not.
Any one else? I just cut and pasted to hear certain RFCers go EWWWWW>