Old 10-01-2008, 06:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bitter Coleslaw :(

Daughter has loved coleslaw since she was a baby. Her favorite version is
one that we get at a Mexican restaurant that appears to be just cabbage and
carrots with a vinegar dressing. It's possible there are onions but that
they are blending in, much as they did with the recipe I just tried.

We have food allergies so we can't have dairy or eggs. Because of the
allergies, this is the only type of coleslaw we can eat. I also have
diabetes so prefer not to use sugar or at least not a lot.

I tried one recipe at Christmas a few years ago and it was inedible because
it was so bitter. My mom surmised that my celery seeds were rancid. I was
not so sure. Have tried a few recipes since and they were just okay.
Nobody had seconds or ate the leftovers.

So tonight I tried this recipe:

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/...cole-slaw.html

I didn't have the green pepper so I left that out. Didn't have the celery
seed so left that out too but used 1/2 celery salt in place of the sea salt
I would have used. I subbed in Splenda for the sugar. And since it didn't
specify the type of vinegar I used white wine. Perhaps I should have used
rice vinegar? I've seen other similar recipes that called for rice vinegar.

At any rate, my finished dish looked yummy and it smelled yummy. But it
didn't taste so yummy. Once again, it was very bitter. It didn't taste so
bad as the first bite went in, but after chewing it, it left a nasty bitter
aftertaste. In fact I can still taste it now, even though I had a bite of
the tomato salad I made which fortunately did turn out well.

Could it be the Splenda? I don't normally find that Splenda has a bitter
aftertaste. Would it work better to use 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 sugar?

Could it be the cabbage? That was my thought. I didn't taste the cabbage
this time but I did the last time it happened. I had a piece from the
center of the cabbage and that was bitter so I didn't use the center. I
just assumed that the center was not good but the more outer leaves were. I
didn't use the very outer leaves because they tend to be tough and on this
particular cabbage they appeared to have some mildew.

I sure would love to make some slaw that daughter will eat. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
PVC PVC is offline

On Jan 9, 11:02*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

Could it be the Splenda?

Gee, do ya think?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"PVC" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 11:02 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

Could it be the Splenda?

Gee, do ya think?

It doesn't normally taste bitter to me. I made cranberry salad with it and
it was fine.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

"PVC" wrote in message
.
.. On Jan 9, 11:02 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

Could it be the Splenda?

Gee, do ya think?

It doesn't normally taste bitter to me. I made cranberry salad with
it and it was fine.

The reason people cut splenda with sugar is to reduce sweetness as some
find splenda too sweet.

What kind of cabbage was used? I find savoy cabbages bitter.

When I make coleslaw I use regular cabbage and red cabbage (mostly for
colour) carrots, onion and green pepper. I use mayo thinned with vinegar
(regular white) some splenda (1 coffee pkg) and celery seeds as a
dressing...Maybe you can find eggless mayo?.

Try fresh pickled cuccumber and onions ... slices of cukes and white
onion sitting in a vinegar, splenda and some crushed red pepper bath all
to taste. Let it sit at least a half hour before eating to develop
flavour. That should prove whether it was the splenda, or not.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Old 10-01-2008, 04:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

"PVC" wrote in message
.
.. On Jan 9, 11:02 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

Could it be the Splenda?

Gee, do ya think?

It doesn't normally taste bitter to me. I made cranberry salad with
it and it was fine.

The reason people cut splenda with sugar is to reduce sweetness as some
find splenda too sweet.

What kind of cabbage was used? I find savoy cabbages bitter.

I don't know the name. It was just the typical round, light green one.
Although I noticed only the very outer leaves were green and the inside was
more of a yellowish white.

When I make coleslaw I use regular cabbage and red cabbage (mostly for
colour) carrots, onion and green pepper. I use mayo thinned with vinegar
(regular white) some splenda (1 coffee pkg) and celery seeds as a
dressing...Maybe you can find eggless mayo?.

The only eggless mayo is made with soy and we have to avoid that too.

Try fresh pickled cuccumber and onions ... slices of cukes and white
onion sitting in a vinegar, splenda and some crushed red pepper bath all
to taste. Let it sit at least a half hour before eating to develop
flavour. That should prove whether it was the splenda, or not.

Ugh. I don't think I could stomach that. My mom used to make cucumbers in
vinegar. She and my brother liked them but I couldn't stand them. Not a
big fan of cukes.

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in message

Since I've been with my husband, I generally follow his mother's cole slaw
recipe because it's what he grew up with, got used to and loves, now.
When I make it, I shred up the "standard" green head of cabbage and some
red onion. (The red onion adds some color. I find if you add red cabbage
the red bleeds and the whole dish turns pink.) For the dressing I add
some oil, some cider vinegar, a sprinking of sugar (splenda would work), a
bit of pepper and some salt. I've used celery seeds in my mix, too and
have never had it turn bitter. My guess would be that you used wine??

Hope this helps.

Hmmm... Maybe the type of vinegar I used? I found another recipe that
calls for rice vinegar and no sweetener whatever. Might try that next.
Thanks!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

Hmmm... Maybe the type of vinegar I used? I found another recipe that
calls for rice vinegar and no sweetener whatever. Might try that next.
Thanks!

Many rice wine vinegars area already sweetened. I think those are listed
as "Seasoned" but that might include more too? I keep both seasoned and
unseasoned at home.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" wrote in message
. ..
Julie Bove wrote:

Hmmm... Maybe the type of vinegar I used? I found another recipe that
calls for rice vinegar and no sweetener whatever. Might try that next.
Thanks!

Many rice wine vinegars area already sweetened. I think those are listed
as "Seasoned" but that might include more too? I keep both seasoned and
unseasoned at home.

It didn't say rice wine. It said rice. Is there a difference?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

try again using a pinch of sugar instead of the splenda. I know being
diabetic you have to watch the intake, but only a pinch or two in the whole
slaw won't matter that much and then compare to the one with splenda. It
could be that one of the other ingredients was 'off' as well.
-ginny

Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:37:58 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

I didn't have the green pepper so I left that out. Didn't have the celery
seed so left that out too but used 1/2 celery salt in place of the sea
salt I would have used. I subbed in Splenda for the sugar. And since it
didn't specify the type of vinegar I used white wine. Perhaps I should
have used rice vinegar? I've seen other similar recipes that called for

I sure would love to make some slaw that daughter will eat. Thanks!

try again using a pinch of sugar instead of the splenda. I know being
diabetic you have to watch the intake, but only a pinch or two in the whole
slaw won't matter that much and then compare to the one with splenda. It
could be that one of the other ingredients was 'off' as well.
-ginny

I am wondering if it is the celery salt.
I know that if I add a tad too much celery seed, it will be bitter.
Might be somewhat the same thing for the celery salt. Not sure, as I
have never used celery salt...

Christine

Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 10 Jan 2008 03:13:36p, Christine Dabney told us...

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, celery seed can be quite bitter if overused. It doesn't seem to have
anything to do with quality of age. I have never had celery seed that
became rancid. I love celery seed in coleslaw, but I use it judiciously.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 01(I)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
Managing software engineers is like
herding cats.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:
[...]

The center of a cabbage is the sweetest most tender portion (it's the
youngest portion), I eat that part plain, it never gets into the
slaw... if the center is bitter then the further you go to the
exterior the more bitter it will taste. I always taste cabbage before
proceding, why waste my time, effort, and other ingredients if the
cabbage tastes weird, then it goes outside for the critters. I can't
imagine anything else in your recipe made your slaw so bitter as to be
inedible, it had to be bad cabbage... storage cabbage is often bitter
and/or strong flavored. Next time taste.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" wrote in message
try again using a pinch of sugar instead of the splenda. I know being
diabetic you have to watch the intake, but only a pinch or two in the
whole slaw won't matter that much and then compare to the one with
splenda. It could be that one of the other ingredients was 'off' as well.

All of my ingredients were fresh except for the celery salt and I don't
think it was old. But it could be one of the fresh vegetables had a bitter
taste to begin with. I guess I should have tasted them first. I will try
again with a small amount of sugar.

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

I only added the celery salt after daughter said it tasted funny. So I
think it was bitter before that. But I don't know since I didn't personally
taste it.

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
3.184...

Yes, celery seed can be quite bitter if overused. It doesn't seem to have
anything to do with quality of age. I have never had celery seed that
became rancid. I love celery seed in coleslaw, but I use it judiciously.

Hmmm... I have found a recipe that calls for neither celery seed nor
sweetener. I will try that next.

Thanks!

coleslaw KROM Diabetic 9 20-09-2011 12:02 AM
KFC Coleslaw Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 27 30-07-2011 08:59 PM
Coleslaw help! notbob[_5_] General Cooking 13 11-06-2011 01:48 PM
Better Coleslaw Dane Beko General Cooking 1 28-01-2008 11:45 PM
Coleslaw Blondie Lou General Cooking 0 06-04-2005 10:43 PM