Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bitter Coleslaw :(

"hahabogus" > wrote in message

> Stay away from salt as much as possible...it causes the veggies to weep
> making them lose crispness faster and limp soggy coleslaw sucks no matter
> what the dressing.

Okay. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote
>>> I developed a thyroid problem when I was pregnant.

>> When were you diagnosed with an egg allergy?

> I can't remember exactly. Something like 2-3 years ago.

I've only known one person who had an egg allergy. It caused itchy sores and
pimples on his shoulders.
It made him miserable.

Sometimes I don't think one has to be diagnosed, one can put two and two
together.

However, it took DH and I some 10 years to realize that both of us -- get
it! both of us -- were getting headaches and feelings that we had eaten
something poisonous, shaking legs, upset stomach, difficulty breathing,
inability to concentrate from garlic.
I still find it hard to believe because it wasn't like we ate all garlic
from Gilroy, or from China or other parts. It was any garlic.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message

> Stay away from salt as much as possible...it causes the veggies to weep
> making them lose crispness faster and limp soggy coleslaw sucks no matter
> what the dressing.
>
> --

Depending upon your final dish, some cole slaw recipes will be a bit
soggy -- Jacques Pepin blanches his cabbage first in one of his recipes.
I've tried it.
Does anyone here do that?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote
>>>
>>> When were you diagnosed with an egg allergy?

>> I can't remember exactly. Something like 2-3 years ago.

> I've only known one person who had an egg allergy. It caused itchy sores
> and pimples on his shoulders.
> It made him miserable.
>
> Sometimes I don't think one has to be diagnosed, one can put two and two
> together.
>
> However, it took DH and I some 10 years to realize that both of us -- get
> it! both of us -- were getting headaches and feelings that we had eaten
> something poisonous, shaking legs, upset stomach, difficulty breathing,
> inability to concentrate from garlic.
> I still find it hard to believe because it wasn't like we ate all garlic
> from Gilroy, or from China or other parts. It was any garlic.

In my case, I throw up very violently if I eat an egg. This didn't used to
happen before. Before, I just had chronic diarrhea and didn't know the
case.

When my daughter was diagnosed with an egg allergy (among other things), I
pretty much stopped eating eggs. Then one day I got some salad from the
salad bar at the local grocery, including some egg salad. I ate it and got
very sick. Assumed it was food poisoning.

Then about a month went by. Had a dozen eggs in the fridge about to go bad.
So I made egg salad and ate it. Again, had the same violent reaction.

So when the Dr. tested me and said I had one severe allergy and could I
guess what it was, it wasn't hard for me to give an answer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

> "hahabogus" > wrote in message
>

>> Stay away from salt as much as possible...it causes the veggies to weep
>> making them lose crispness faster and limp soggy coleslaw sucks no matter
>> what the dressing.
>>
>> --

> Depending upon your final dish, some cole slaw recipes will be a bit
> soggy -- Jacques Pepin blanches his cabbage first in one of his recipes.
> I've tried it.
> Does anyone here do that?

Really? I haven't seen that recipe. Hmmm... There are so many versions of
slaw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message news:4786f031$1$25983
>> Grate the cabbage and use your imagination. I love to grate a bit of
>> carrot in with the cabbage, for sweetness. I dislike stringy cole slaw,
>> it usually tastes sour to me, but finely grated cabbage tastes sweet and
>> fine.
>>
>> If I had your allergies/aversions, I think I would try a nondairy
>> creamer, some sugar (the amount needed is so small, surely the diabetes
>> would not be exacerbated) and some cider vinegar.

> Non-dairy creamer is a bad name for the stuff. It actually contains
> dairy. And often soy too. I wouldn't use it for anything. I buy Vance's
> Dari-replacer, but it's very sweet and better suited for desserts.
>>
>> I imagine yogurt might work well as the white element in the dressing,
>> too, and give you some tang.

> Allergic to yogurt. Can't have any dairy.
>>
>> For me, the best cole slaw has very little dressing and very little
>> spices. I never use celery salt, eckk. In fact I do not salt it at all,
>> nor do I pepper it. The cabbage is sweet if it is fresh. Grate it finely,
>> add a baby carrot or two, then maybe a bit of yogurt. Taste it and
>> proceed from there.
>>
>> Keep it simple.

> Thanks, but that wouldn't work for me.

Have you considered giving up cole slaw?

:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>> Grate the cabbage and use your imagination. I love to grate a bit of
>>> carrot in with the cabbage, for sweetness. I dislike stringy cole
>>> slaw, it usually tastes sour to me, but finely grated cabbage
>>> tastes sweet and fine.
>>>
>>> If I had your allergies/aversions, I think I would try a nondairy
>>> creamer, some sugar (the amount needed is so small, surely the
>>> diabetes would not be exacerbated) and some cider vinegar.

>> Non-dairy creamer is a bad name for the stuff. It actually contains
>> dairy. And often soy too. I wouldn't use it for anything. I buy
>> Vance's Dari-replacer, but it's very sweet and better suited for
>> desserts.
>>>
>>> I imagine yogurt might work well as the white element in the
>>> dressing, too, and give you some tang.

>> Allergic to yogurt. Can't have any dairy.
>>>
>>> For me, the best cole slaw has very little dressing and very little
>>> spices. I never use celery salt, eckk. In fact I do not salt it at
>>> all, nor do I pepper it. The cabbage is sweet if it is fresh. Grate
>>> it finely, add a baby carrot or two, then maybe a bit of yogurt.
>>> Taste it and proceed from there.
>>>
>>> Keep it simple.

>> Thanks, but that wouldn't work for me.
>>

> Have you considered giving up cole slaw?

*cough*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote
>> Have you considered giving up cole slaw?

> *cough*

It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from here"
situations, you know?

If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:03:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote
>>> Have you considered giving up cole slaw?

>> *cough*

>It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from here"
>situations, you know?
>
>If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

You should croak anyway looser.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Have you considered giving up cole slaw?

No. My daughter loves it. And I intend to make it. It can be gotten at
Mexican restaurants so I'm sure there is a way for me to make it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote
>>> Have you considered giving up cole slaw?

>> *cough*

> It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from here"
> situations, you know?
>
> If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

Oh well...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:03:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Ophelia" > wrote
>>>
>>> *cough*

>>It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from here"
>>situations, you know?
>>
>>If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

> You should croak anyway looser.

Pssst ... asshole ... everybody does, eventually. You'll go before I will
because you're such an old ****less twit.

Meanwhile, I would never wish anyone dead. That stuff comes back on you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote
>>>
>>> *cough*

>> It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from here"
>> situations, you know?
>>
>> If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

> Oh well...

I do feel for you. And your child.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Ophelia" > wrote

>>> It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from here"
>>> situations, you know?
>>>
>>> If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

>> Oh well...

> I do feel for you. And your child.

Well, don't bother. We're okay with it. Everybody has their problems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 11 Jan 2008 08:00:04a, Dee.Dee told us...

> "hahabogus" > wrote in message
>

>> Stay away from salt as much as possible...it causes the veggies to weep
>> making them lose crispness faster and limp soggy coleslaw sucks no

matter
>> what the dressing.
>>
>> --

> Depending upon your final dish, some cole slaw recipes will be a bit
> soggy -- Jacques Pepin blanches his cabbage first in one of his recipes.
> I've tried it.
> Does anyone here do that?
> Dee Dee

I don't blanch it, but I do salt it and allow it to set for a while. Then
rinse and drain. It softens the cabbage to a nice degree.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 01(I)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Best diet: Eat as much as you want,
but don't swallow it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Oh well...

>> I do feel for you. And your child.

> Well, don't bother. We're okay with it. Everybody has their problems.

It's not a bother to feel for others.

Jesus.

Have your bubbleboy check your pulse, will you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:20:25 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:03:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Ophelia" > wrote

>>>It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from here"
>>>situations, you know?
>>>
>>>If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

>> You should croak anyway looser.
>>

>Pssst ... asshole ... everybody does, eventually. You'll go before I will
>because you're such an old ****less twit.

I'd die eating your cooking looser

>Meanwhile, I would never wish anyone dead. That stuff comes back on you.

Whatever looser.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jan 2008 09:11:59a, Lou Decruss told us...

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:20:25 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> You should croak anyway looser.
>>>

>>Pssst ... asshole ... everybody does, eventually. You'll go before I will
>>because you're such an old ****less twit.

> I'd die eating your cooking looser
>
>>Meanwhile, I would never wish anyone dead. That stuff comes back on you.

> Whatever looser.
>
> Lou

Oh, Lou, just plonk her and maybe be done with it. Maybe it will go away.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
DEFINE: De ting you get for breaking
de law.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:20:05 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>"cybercat" > wrote in message
>
>> Have you considered giving up cole slaw?

>No. My daughter loves it. And I intend to make it. It can be gotten at
>Mexican restaurants so I'm sure there is a way for me to make it.

i'm thinking at this point you just had nasty cabbage to start with.

have you just googled 'mexican coleslaw'? i the first few recipes
that turned up seem to have none of your forbidden ingredients:

<http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1649,151160-234203,00.html>

<http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mexican_coleslaw.html>

....but i'm sure there are tons out there. you could also google for
'curtido,' a salvadoran slaw typically served with papusas.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote
>>> Have you considered giving up cole slaw?

>> *cough*

> It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from here"
> situations, you know?
>
> If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

Nodnodnod!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:03:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Ophelia" > wrote
>>>
>>> *cough*

>> It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from
>> here" situations, you know?
>>
>> If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

> You should croak anyway looser.

*growl*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:03:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Ophelia" > wrote

>>> It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from
>>> here" situations, you know?
>>>
>>> If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

>> You should croak anyway looser.
>>

> Pssst ... asshole ... everybody does, eventually. You'll go before I
> will because you're such an old ****less twit.
>
> Meanwhile, I would never wish anyone dead. That stuff comes back on
> you.

Yes it does!!!!!! I can't believe anyone would say such a thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:20:25 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:03:33 -0500, "cybercat"

>>> You should croak anyway looser.
>>>

>> Pssst ... asshole ... everybody does, eventually. You'll go before I
>> will because you're such an old ****less twit.

> I'd die eating your cooking looser
>
>> Meanwhile, I would never wish anyone dead. That stuff comes back on
>> you.

> Whatever looser.

Pah! You are so stupid!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 12 Jan 2008 09:11:59a, Lou Decruss told us...
>
>> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:20:25 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>> Pssst ... asshole ... everybody does, eventually. You'll go before
>>> I will because you're such an old ****less twit.

>> I'd die eating your cooking looser
>>
>>> Meanwhile, I would never wish anyone dead. That stuff comes back on
>>> you.

>> Whatever looser.
>>
>> Lou
>>

> Oh, Lou, just plonk her and maybe be done with it. Maybe it will go
> away.

Oh Wayne! That is not like you to wish someone dead

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jan 2008 10:01:36a, Ophelia told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 12 Jan 2008 09:11:59a, Lou Decruss told us...

>>> I'd die eating your cooking looser

>>> Whatever looser.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>> Oh, Lou, just plonk her and maybe be done with it. Maybe it will go
>> away.

> Oh Wayne! That is not like you to wish someone dead

There are exceptionis, Ophelia! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
I keep my feathers numbered for just
such an emergency. -F.Leghorn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jan 2008 09:53:29a, blake murphy told us...

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:20:05 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

>>"cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Have you considered giving up cole slaw?

>>No. My daughter loves it. And I intend to make it. It can be gotten at
>>Mexican restaurants so I'm sure there is a way for me to make it.
>>

> i'm thinking at this point you just had nasty cabbage to start with.
>
> have you just googled 'mexican coleslaw'? i the first few recipes
> that turned up seem to have none of your forbidden ingredients:
>
> <http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1649,151160-234203,00.html>
>
> <http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mexican_coleslaw.html>
>
> ...but i'm sure there are tons out there. you could also google for
> 'curtido,' a salvadoran slaw typically served with papusas.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I didn't know you could eat papooses, much less with coleslaw. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
A lot of people mistake a short memory
for a clear conscience. --Doug Larson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 12 Jan 2008 09:11:59a, Lou Decruss told us...

>>> I'd die eating your cooking looser

>>> Whatever looser.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>> Oh, Lou, just plonk her and maybe be done with it. Maybe it will go
>> away.

> Oh Wayne! That is not like you to wish someone dead

He loves Jill. He can't help it. It's her amazing intellect and
scintillating personality.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:03:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Ophelia" > wrote

>>> It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from
>>> here" situations, you know?
>>>
>>> If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

>> You should croak anyway looser.

> *growl*

Down Miss O, Karma will take care of this pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:26:21 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh, Lou, just plonk her and maybe be done with it. Maybe it will go away.

Good advice Wayne. She'll be number two. I've fought using KF's
here, but I guess I'm becoming a disturbance too, so she's gone.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:35:40 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> You should croak anyway looser.

>> *growl*

>Down Miss O, Karma will take care of this pig.

Karma always wins. That's why you have a kitchen that needs
remodeling.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:01:02 -0000, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>Pah! You are so stupid!

Defending cyberluzzer doesn't make you look to smart either.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:00:28 -0000, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>cybercat wrote:
>> "Lou Decruss" > wrote in message

>>> You should croak anyway looser.
>>>

>> Pssst ... asshole ... everybody does, eventually. You'll go before I
>> will because you're such an old ****less twit.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I would never wish anyone dead. That stuff comes back on
>> you.

>Yes it does!!!!!! I can't believe anyone would say such a thing.

And I can't believe anyone would make such a big deal out of a flip
response to a troll and a useless poster who can't cook.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:58:38 -0000, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:03:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Ophelia" > wrote

>>> It just really looks like one of those "you can't get there from
>>> here" situations, you know?
>>>
>>> If I were allergic to dairy and eggs, I would croak.

>> You should croak anyway looser.

>*growl*

Get over it. She's proving herself to be as bad as Shempdon.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:26:21 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> Oh, Lou, just plonk her and maybe be done with it. Maybe it will go
>> away.

> Good advice Wayne. She'll be number two. I've fought using KF's
> here, but I guess I'm becoming a disturbance too, so she's gone.

You do seem to be fighting a lot

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:35:40 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:

>>> *growl*

>> Down Miss O, Karma will take care of this pig.
>>

> Karma always wins. That's why you have a kitchen that needs
> remodeling.

and you will be fighting it again?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:20:05 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

>>"cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Have you considered giving up cole slaw?

>>No. My daughter loves it. And I intend to make it. It can be gotten at
>>Mexican restaurants so I'm sure there is a way for me to make it.
>>

> i'm thinking at this point you just had nasty cabbage to start with.
>
> have you just googled 'mexican coleslaw'? i the first few recipes
> that turned up seem to have none of your forbidden ingredients:
>
> <http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1649,151160-234203,00.html>
>
> <http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mexican_coleslaw.html>
>
> ...but i'm sure there are tons out there. you could also google for
> 'curtido,' a salvadoran slaw typically served with papusas.

Yes. I am next going to try a recipe that has just cilantro and rice
vinegar. And hope I get a good cabbage!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:01:02 -0000, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Pah! You are so stupid!

> Defending cyberluzzer doesn't make you look to smart either.

*smile*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:00:28 -0000, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> cybercat wrote:

>>> Pssst ... asshole ... everybody does, eventually. You'll go before I
>>> will because you're such an old ****less twit.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, I would never wish anyone dead. That stuff comes back on
>>> you.

>> Yes it does!!!!!! I can't believe anyone would say such a thing.

> And I can't believe anyone would make such a big deal out of a flip
> response to a troll and a useless poster who can't cook.

You don't??? Um how well do you know cybercat? You are in her kitchen? How
do you know if she can cook or not? I am always interested in those who
make comments on the lives of others whom they don't like, do not know, but
like to make personal claims about them.

Do feel free to tell me what she cooked today and what she bought for dinner
tomorrow

BTW wishing someone dead is NOT a flip response. NOT EVER!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote
> BTW wishing someone dead is NOT a flip response. NOT EVER!!!!

No worries, Miss O, there is justice in the ether.

Lunch today was shredded sirloin burritos with bean nachos with
salad. I used shredded sharp cheddar for the first two and Daisy
light sour cream for the nachos. No guac as I found no suitable
avocados. Mmm mmm mmmm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:42:04 -0000, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:26:21 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, Lou, just plonk her and maybe be done with it. Maybe it will go
>>> away.

>> Good advice Wayne. She'll be number two. I've fought using KF's
>> here, but I guess I'm becoming a disturbance too, so she's gone.

>You do seem to be fighting a lot

That was days ago. I'm changed now.

Lou

coleslaw KROM Diabetic 9 20-09-2011 12:02 AM
KFC Coleslaw Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 27 30-07-2011 08:59 PM
Coleslaw help! notbob[_5_] General Cooking 13 11-06-2011 01:48 PM
Better Coleslaw Dane Beko General Cooking 1 28-01-2008 10:45 PM
Coleslaw Blondie Lou General Cooking 0 06-04-2005 10:43 PM