Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Steam or grill "fresh" salmon

A local store has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I am sure they
are farm raised. I have grilled them in the past, but thought that it
dried them out. Could I steam them, and would that make them juicier?
Or would poach them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat it
to a slow simmer.

Thanks

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tomba wrote:
> A local store �has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I am sure they
> are farm raised. I have grilled them in the past, but thought that it
> dried them out. Could I steam them, and would that make them juicier?
> Or would poach them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat it
> to a slow simmer.

Search for a salmon aspic recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote on Tue, 8 Jan 2008 16:23:05 -0600:

??>> A local store has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I
??>> am sure they are farm raised. I have grilled them in the
??>> past, but thought that it dried them out. Could I steam
??>> them, and would that make them juicier? Or would poach
??>> them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat it to
??>> a slow simmer.
??>>
??>> Thanks
??>>
??>> Tom

j> Farmed salmon benefits from the grill IMO. If they were
j> dried out you cooked them too long. Steaming or poaching
j> will also produce a "dry" product if you over cook 'em.

I still believe the best way to cook any fillets of salmon (skin
on) is at 500F on a bed of rock salt for 10 minutes. This is
fast enough not to dry them out and the skin comes off easily.
You can put the salt in a frypan but the smoke drives my
detector crazy!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:15:39 -0800 (PST),
" > wrote:

>A local store has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I am sure they
>are farm raised. I have grilled them in the past, but thought that it
>dried them out. Could I steam them, and would that make them juicier?
>Or would poach them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat it
>to a slow simmer.
>

>Thanks
>
>Tom

Hi Tom,

A thick piece of salmon on the grill can be great, but with
a filet, I'm with you. I'd steam them (and I would not buy
farm raised salmon if I could avoid it, but that's another
matter.<g>

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> A local store has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I am sure they
> are farm raised. I have grilled them in the past, but thought that it
> dried them out. Could I steam them, and would that make them juicier?
> Or would poach them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat it
> to a slow simmer.

Are the scare quotes around "fresh" yours or theirs?

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> A local store has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I am sure they
> are farm raised. I have grilled them in the past, but thought that it
> dried them out. Could I steam them, and would that make them juicier?
> Or would poach them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat it
> to a slow simmer.

If they got too dry you probably cooked them too long. Grill salmon fillets
skin side down until the white goop starts oozing out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith" <"adavid,smith wrote:
> " wrote:
>>
>> A local store has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I am sure they
>> are farm raised. I have grilled them in the past, but thought that it
>> dried them out. Could I steam them, and would that make them juicier?
>> Or would poach them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat
>> it to a slow simmer.

> If they got too dry you probably cooked them too long. Grill salmon
> fillets skin side down until the white goop starts oozing out.

LOL what a great and oh so delectable description!

I've never seen salmon fillets with skin on them. With any fish, it depends
on the thickness as to how long to cook it. The general (very general) rule
is to cook it, regardless of method, until it's opaque and flakes easily
with a fork.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>A local store has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I am sure they
> are farm raised. I have grilled them in the past, but thought that it
> dried them out. Could I steam them, and would that make them juicier?
> Or would poach them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat it
> to a slow simmer.

They are great sealed in foil with spices, maybe some lemon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
tomba wrote:
> A local store ?has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I am sure they
> are farm raised. I have grilled them in the past, but thought that it
> dried them out. Could I steam them, and would that make them juicier?
> Or would poach them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat it
> to a slow simmer.

Search for a salmon aspic recipe.

No thank you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:15:39 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>A local store has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I am sure they
>are farm raised. I have grilled them in the past, but thought that it
>dried them out. Could I steam them, and would that make them juicier?
>Or would poach them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat it
>to a slow simmer.

I prefer to grill (although I've taken to baking them in a lemon, wine
etc combo lately), but whatever you do, don't overcook them.... that's
what dries them out.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:29:11 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>I still believe the best way to cook any fillets of salmon (skin
>on) is at 500F on a bed of rock salt for 10 minutes. This is
>fast enough not to dry them out and the skin comes off easily.
>You can put the salt in a frypan but the smoke drives my
>detector crazy!

Invest in better kitchen ventilation, my friend!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:15:39 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>A local store has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I am sure they
>>are farm raised. I have grilled them in the past, but thought that it
>>dried them out. Could I steam them, and would that make them juicier?
>>Or would poach them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat it
>>to a slow simmer.
>>

> I prefer to grill (although I've taken to baking them in a lemon, wine
> etc combo lately), but whatever you do, don't overcook them.... that's
> what dries them out.

This is true. I would grill but I have no grill. My kitchen is just sad,
sad, sad. Very old, in need of remodeling. We have "other priorities" for
now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:23:51 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

><sf> wrote in message ...
>> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:15:39 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>A local store has a special on "fresh" salmon filets. I am sure they
>>>are farm raised. I have grilled them in the past, but thought that it
>>>dried them out. Could I steam them, and would that make them juicier?
>>>Or would poach them by placing them in a small amout of water, heat it
>>>to a slow simmer.
>>>

>> I prefer to grill (although I've taken to baking them in a lemon, wine
>> etc combo lately), but whatever you do, don't overcook them.... that's
>> what dries them out.
>>

>This is true. I would grill but I have no grill.

A Weber Smokey Joe is under 50 bucks. If you would grill, but can't,
then you should disconnect your isp for a month and buy a grill. Then
come back and tell us how wonderful you can cook.

>My kitchen is just sad,
>sad, sad. Very old, in need of remodeling. We have "other priorities" for
>now.

And you asked me if I've ever worked full time. You really are a
piece of work.

Lou