Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sunbeam electric frypan

Well,mine finally died..after YEARS of faithfull service.It was a
vintage one,yellow with flower designs.Hated to see it go.Im looking for
a replacement that will be just as good,no junk that will self-destruct
in a few years,preferably a high dome double size.Looking for
quality,reliability.Need feedback on brands others have used....or know
whats out there.
Good to be posting again.Spine is on track again and ready to go
Cheers,Smitty

"Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 8, 11:20*am, (Smitty xx) wrote:
> Well,mine finally died..after YEARS of faithfull service.It was a
> vintage one,yellow with flower designs.Hated to see it go.Im looking for
> a replacement that will be just as good,no junk that will self-destruct
> in a few years,preferably a high dome double size.Looking for
> quality,reliability.Need feedback on brands others have used....or *know
> whats out there. [snip]

Electric frypans are such simple devices that I doubt there are
meaningful differences in quality among them, either for performance
or for longevity. I'd first decide whether I wanted nonstick or
stainless steel, then choose on the basis of price. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:
:On Jan 8, 11:20*am, (Smitty xx) wrote:
:> Well,mine finally died..after YEARS of faithfull service.It was a
:> vintage one,yellow with flower designs.Hated to see it go.Im looking for
:> a replacement that will be just as good,no junk that will self-destruct
:> in a few years,preferably a high dome double size.Looking for
:> quality,reliability.Need feedback on brands others have used....or *know
:> whats out there. [snip]

:Electric frypans are such simple devices that I doubt there are
:meaningful differences in quality among them, either for performance
r for longevity. I'd first decide whether I wanted nonstick or
:stainless steel, then choose on the basis of price. -aem

My electric skillet died recently. The replacement, a Rival, worked
once. It went back, needless to say. I haven't replaced it yet.
They're all much bigger then they need to be for the the size of the
cooking surface.

--
sig 51
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 1:20*pm, (Smitty xx) wrote:
> Well,mine finally died..after YEARS of faithfull service.It was a
> vintage one,yellow with flower designs.Hated to see it go.Im looking for
> a replacement that will be just as good,no junk that will self-destruct
> in a few years,preferably a high dome double size.Looking for
> quality,reliability.Need feedback on brands others have used....or *know
> whats out there.
> Good to be posting again.Spine is on track again and ready to go
> Cheers,Smitty
>
> "Food, Art and Films,What else *do you need?...Well.."

I think mine's a West Bend, and I've used it for decades. Big,
square, high-dome lid (although I've really never needed it).

I saw in the new JCP Cook's catalogue, they have a 5" deep "chicken
fryer" with a high lid (I think) - don't know anything about
longevity, but you might take a look at the website.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:

> Believe it or not, the Rival electric skilets have another use. They're
> great for re-flowing solder on surface mount PC-Boards.
>
> The reason they're great is you have fairly granular control over the
> temperature and they're cheap.

My Sunbeam was used for desoldering chips from
surplus circuit boards, back when Dad was teaching
high school electronics. He'd remove the chips
from donated circuit boards, then repackage them
as kits for his students to build. He had a fairly
large selection of little gadgets the students
could build from recycled parts. This was back in
in the 1970's and 1980's when you could still do
that sort of thing. He even had a set up for
etching circuit boards for the kits.

Eventually, the rise of the personal computer
sucked away all of the students that would have
taken the electronics courses into studying software.
That, plus the shortage of qualified math teachers,
killed the electronics program. Dad spent the last
decade of his career teaching math.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Smitty xx wrote:
> Well,mine finally died..after YEARS of faithfull service.It was a
> vintage one,yellow with flower designs.Hated to see it go.Im looking for
> a replacement that will be just as good,no junk that will self-destruct
> in a few years,preferably a high dome double size.Looking for
> quality,reliability.Need feedback on brands others have used....or know
> whats out there.
> Good to be posting again.Spine is on track again and ready to go
> Cheers,Smitty
>
> "Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."

We got a Presto one as a wedding gift ~10 years back. It's a large
rectangular one with the high-dome lid. I don't use it terribly often
(forget that I even have it), but when I do, it always works great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote:
> (Smitty xx) wrote:
>
> > Well,mine finally died..after YEARS of faithfull service.It was a
> > vintage one,yellow with flower designs.Hated to see it go.Im looking for
> > a replacement that will be just as good,no junk that will self-destruct
> > in a few years,preferably a high dome double size.Looking for
> > quality,reliability.Need feedback on brands others have used....or *know
> > whats out there.

> I think mine's a West Bend, and I've used it for decades. *Big,
> square, high-dome lid (although I've really never needed it).

West Bend and a few other brand names of the same manufacturing
company have demonstrations at home shows. They try to get you
to buy an entire set but they do offer individual pieces. Mine is
getting close to 20 years old now and it still looks like new and
works like new. List me as a happy customer. Last year we got
one of their salad chopper/spinners.

The high dome lid is flat on the top. A couple of times a put other
pans on top to cook in a stack. Fun game but more work than it's
worth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:20:55 -0500, (Smitty xx)
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Well,mine finally died..after YEARS of faithfull service.It was a
>vintage one,yellow with flower designs.Hated to see it go.Im looking for
>a replacement that will be just as good,no junk that will self-destruct
>in a few years,preferably a high dome double size.Looking for
>quality,reliability.Need feedback on brands others have used....or know
>whats out there.

When my old Farberware croaked, I vowed that I would never again get
something that wouldn't allow me to put an entire cutup chicken in it
without crowding the chicken. I also wanted something big enough to
cook a half dozen pork chops at once, three split game hens or just a
large dinner party portion of whatever. I settled on a:
http://www.cuisinartwebstore.com/pro...=CUI+CSK%2D150

And depending on what floats your boat, I also have a Deni
multi-fryer: http://www.deni.com/multi_9200.asp which I wish I had
seen first, frankly. It's amazingly versatile and could take the place
of my electric frypan, crockpot and deep fryer. OTOH, it's really big
and takes big batches.

>Good to be posting again.Spine is on track again and ready to go

Spine?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sunbeam electric frypan

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Wed, Jan 9, 2008, 8:56pm (EST-3) From:
(Terry*Pulliam*Burd)

"When my old Farberware croaked, I vowed that I would never again get
something that wouldn't allow me to put an entire cutup chicken in it
without crowding the chicken. I also wanted something big enough to cook
a half dozen pork chops at once, three split game hens or just a large
dinner party portion of whatever. I settled on a:
http://www.cuisinartwebstore.com/pro...=CUI+CSK%2D150
Spine?"
Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--------------------------------------

That exactly what Ive been looking for thanks so much!I put in my email
to be notified when its available.Im a big batch cooker also,always have
been.I guess its a throwback to my restaurant days.
Winn-Dixie has thier 40% off all their chicken sales this week at .69
lb.(whole),so I,ll stock up.Roast 2,keep 1for soup and the rest for the
freezer.I still have 4 packs of pork chops from When Albertsons had
their .79 lb. sale last month.My local produce stand has much cheaper
prices than the big stores,so I have all bases covered.Some of my best
pork roasts I.ve made in my old Sunbeam.
Ihave a recipe I wrote up,,but have to dig it out of my files and I,ll
post it..it changes according to my moods.
The spine thing?,well Im glad to say Ive beaten 2 years of hell-on-earth
of sciatica.The l-2 and l- 3 in my spine were half out,pressing on my
sciatic nerve and leaking.The pain down my legs was excruciating .Its an
awfull thing to realize that you wake up one day and cant walk.and in
such pain it paralysis you.After 2 hospital stays 3 mri,s (the dreaded
tube),various pain killers.,using a walker,Im finally back and well.Ive
never been sick in my life really so this floored me.I appreciate each
day now that I can walk the 1 block to Walgreens and other things I
took for granted (Im up to 2 miles now)swim and keep my back strong.Once
in a while I,ll feel a slight twinge and It puts me on my guard
Thanks for the feedback and everyone else who was kind enough to respond
--------------------------P

"Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."Tyler Florence
reached out his hand and begged me to go with him ..Damn!..thats when I
woke up,T'was all a dream"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Smitty xx wrote:

> Dejavu---My cousins used to build radiio,s etc from heathkits and misc,
> parts.My Mom was a foreman in an electronics plant in northern NJ and
> got me my first job there at 17.There were12 employees then,now theyre
> worldwide.That was just before PCB'S. came in,all done by
> hand,wiring,harnessing,testing,stripping and soldering,(and solder
> pots)stuffing components..and that AWFULL melting teflon wiring.When
> pcb's came in we did work for Bendix Aircraft,power supplies,control
> panels..loved it,did it till the 70,s,got married went into restaurant
> biz.I still drag out the old iron now for repairs
> Thanks for bringing back a memory.

Geez, you must be old as dirt.

Griddle v frypan PeterL[_17_] General Cooking 0 05-07-2009 10:25 PM
Ping: Larry - Eggs @ 250º - 'regular' ss frypan Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 3 06-10-2008 10:58 PM
seasoning frypan Jen General Cooking 8 12-10-2005 05:39 PM
electric frypan insert Jen General Cooking 2 10-10-2005 05:01 PM
Electric Frypan Xmas Cake Miss Prissy General Cooking 7 20-11-2003 05:05 AM