Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default World Market Find

I cruised through World Market aka Cost Plus today.
I picked up some saffron and a spice blend I'm not familiar with.
Sansho seven spice blend. The package says, "Shichimi Togarashi -
Flavorful Japanese style spice blend that has a chili heat with notes
of citrus."

It's a blend of red chili, seaweed, sansho peppers, orange peel, poppy
seeds, white and black sesame seeds.
Product Description says: Used as a table seasoning to bring out the
flavor of Udon noodle dishes and grilled fish.

It's got quite a kick to it. I think I'll try it sprinkled on
vegetables also, like grilled asparagus. mmmmm

http://i10.tinypic.com/6z6f6o7.jpg

I love trying new things.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 1/02

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> I cruised through World Market aka Cost Plus today.
> I picked up some saffron and a spice blend I'm not familiar with.
> Sansho seven spice blend. The package says, "Shichimi Togarashi -
> Flavorful Japanese style spice blend that has a chili heat with notes
> of citrus."
>
> It's a blend of red chili, seaweed, sansho peppers, orange peel, poppy
> seeds, white and black sesame seeds.
> Product Description says: Used as a table seasoning to bring out the
> flavor of Udon noodle dishes and grilled fish.
>
> It's got quite a kick to it. I think I'll try it sprinkled on
> vegetables also, like grilled asparagus. mmmmm
>
> http://i10.tinypic.com/6z6f6o7.jpg
>
> I love trying new things.

A flight attendant friend of mine who flies to Tokyo has brought
several small bottles of this back for me, it's very good. He gets it
at the "Dollar Store" (actually the "100 Yen" store) that is adjacent
to their layover hotel at Narita...

You can use it as a general seasoning, it's good on most everything...

I'm going to World Market tomorrow, thanx for the tip. They carry
decent spices at very reasonable prices...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Gregory Morrow > wrote:

> koko wrote:
>
> > I cruised through World Market aka Cost Plus today.
> > I picked up some saffron and a spice blend I'm not familiar with.
> > Sansho seven spice blend. The package says, "Shichimi Togarashi -
> > Flavorful Japanese style spice blend that has a chili heat with notes
> > of citrus."

> A flight attendant friend of mine who flies to Tokyo has brought
> several small bottles of this back for me, it's very good. He gets it
> at the "Dollar Store" (actually the "100 Yen" store) that is adjacent
> to their layover hotel at Narita...
>
> You can use it as a general seasoning, it's good on most everything...
>
> I'm going to World Market tomorrow, thanx for the tip. They carry
> decent spices at very reasonable prices...
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Well, FINE!! I'll go, too. Maybe today.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:45:52 -0800 (PST), Gregory Morrow
> wrote:

>koko wrote:
>
>> I cruised through World Market aka Cost Plus today.
>> I picked up some saffron and a spice blend I'm not familiar with.
>> Sansho seven spice blend. The package says, "Shichimi Togarashi -
>> Flavorful Japanese style spice blend that has a chili heat with notes
>> of citrus."
>>
>> It's a blend of red chili, seaweed, sansho peppers, orange peel, poppy
>> seeds, white and black sesame seeds.
>> Product Description says: Used as a table seasoning to bring out the
>> flavor of Udon noodle dishes and grilled fish.
>>
>> It's got quite a kick to it. I think I'll try it sprinkled on
>> vegetables also, like grilled asparagus. mmmmm
>>
>> http://i10.tinypic.com/6z6f6o7.jpg
>>
>> I love trying new things.

>A flight attendant friend of mine who flies to Tokyo has brought
>several small bottles of this back for me, it's very good. He gets it
>at the "Dollar Store" (actually the "100 Yen" store) that is adjacent
>to their layover hotel at Narita...
>
>You can use it as a general seasoning, it's good on most everything...
>
>I'm going to World Market tomorrow, thanx for the tip. They carry
>decent spices at very reasonable prices...

"Mitsuwa" out in Arlington Heights has 7 spice. If you can ever get
out there it's a fun place. Lot's of things you won't see anywhere
else. It was the only place I could find marinated veggies for
potstickers. The food court is great too. I know you don't drive,
but if you can ever drag someone with a car out there plan on spending
a few hours.

http://www.mitsuwachicago.net/php/index.php?lang=eng

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 05:18:23 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:49:59 -0800, koko wrote:
>
>> I cruised through World Market aka Cost Plus today.
>> I picked up some saffron and a spice blend I'm not familiar with.
>> Sansho seven spice blend. The package says, "Shichimi Togarashi -
>> Flavorful Japanese style spice blend that has a chili heat with notes
>> of citrus."

>How big was the package and how much $?
>
>They sell little (tiny!) bottles of this at the Kor4ean and
>Japanese markets, but they cost at least $2.50 for what I suspect
>is less than a half ounce.
>
>-sw

I'm not sure how much it weighs, I'll check it when I get home. I just
looked at the receipt and it was $1.49

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 1/02

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, koko wrote:

> I'm not sure how much it weighs, I'll check it when I get home. I just
> looked at the receipt and it was $1.49
>
> koko
> ---
> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 1/02
>
> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> George Bernard Shaw

I just came back from Cost Plus World Market with a package of that
stuff. Yikes, it's hot stuff. For my taste, a little salt would be
nice; I may add some Penzeys Old World to it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:49:59 -0800, koko wrote:
>
>> I cruised through World Market aka Cost Plus today.
>> I picked up some saffron and a spice blend I'm not familiar with.
>> Sansho seven spice blend. The package says, "Shichimi Togarashi -
>> Flavorful Japanese style spice blend that has a chili heat with notes
>> of citrus."

>How big was the package and how much $?
>
>They sell little (tiny!) bottles of this at the Kor4ean and
>Japanese markets, but they cost at least $2.50 for what I suspect
>is less than a half ounce.
>
>-sw

It is a one ounce package, for $1.49

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 1/02

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:33:44 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, koko wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure how much it weighs, I'll check it when I get home. I just
>> looked at the receipt and it was $1.49
>>
>> koko
>> ---
>> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
>> updated 1/02
>>
>> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
>> George Bernard Shaw

>I just came back from Cost Plus World Market with a package of that
>stuff. Yikes, it's hot stuff. For my taste, a little salt would be
>nice; I may add some Penzeys Old World to it.

Yeah, it does have a little kick to it.
I was thinking of cutting some of it with almonds or hazlenuts like in
the Egyptian Dukkah Blend that I made, just for a little change.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 1/02

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<koko> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 05:18:23 GMT, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:49:59 -0800, koko wrote:
>>
>>> I cruised through World Market aka Cost Plus today.
>>> I picked up some saffron and a spice blend I'm not familiar with.
>>> Sansho seven spice blend. The package says, "Shichimi Togarashi -
>>> Flavorful Japanese style spice blend that has a chili heat with notes
>>> of citrus."

>>How big was the package and how much $?
>>
>>They sell little (tiny!) bottles of this at the Kor4ean and
>>Japanese markets, but they cost at least $2.50 for what I suspect
>>is less than a half ounce.
>>
>>-sw

> It is a one ounce package, for $1.49
>
> koko
> ---
> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 1/02
>
> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<koko> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 05:18:23 GMT, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:49:59 -0800, koko wrote:
>>
>>> I cruised through World Market aka Cost Plus today.
>>> I picked up some saffron and a spice blend I'm not familiar with.
>>> Sansho seven spice blend. The package says, "Shichimi Togarashi -
>>> Flavorful Japanese style spice blend that has a chili heat with notes
>>> of citrus."

>>How big was the package and how much $?
>>
>>They sell little (tiny!) bottles of this at the Kor4ean and
>>Japanese markets, but they cost at least $2.50 for what I suspect
>>is less than a half ounce.
>>
>>-sw

> It is a one ounce package, for $1.49
>
> koko

I just replenished a bottle .63 oz (18g) last week. I noticed when I bought
it that it was $3.49, but when I checked my bill, I was charged $1.49, so I
don't know for sure what it was.

We have been buying this maybe 30 years. It is a staple in our house. One
thing to bewa Shi is 7 (spices). There is another spice in the same jar
"... Togarashi" which means 5 (spice). I got caught picking up the wrong
spice once -- not nearly as good. I'm not sure which spice is missing --
perhaps the orange peel.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:45:52 -0800 (PST), Gregory Morrow
> > wrote:
>
> >koko wrote:
> >
> >> I cruised through World Market aka Cost Plus today.
> >> I picked up some saffron and a spice blend I'm not familiar with.
> >> Sansho seven spice blend. The package says, "Shichimi Togarashi -
> >> Flavorful Japanese style spice blend that has a chili heat with notes
> >> of citrus."
> >>
> >> It's a blend of red chili, seaweed, sansho peppers, orange peel, poppy
> >> seeds, white and black sesame seeds.
> >> Product Description says: Used as a table seasoning to bring out the
> >> flavor of Udon noodle dishes and grilled fish.
> >>
> >> It's got quite a kick to it. I think I'll try it sprinkled on
> >> vegetables also, like grilled asparagus. mmmmm
> >>
> >> http://i10.tinypic.com/6z6f6o7.jpg
> >>
> >> I love trying new things.

> >A flight attendant friend of mine who flies to Tokyo has brought
> >several small bottles of this back for me, it's very good. He gets it
> >at the "Dollar Store" (actually the "100 Yen" store) that is adjacent
> >to their layover hotel at Narita...
> >
> >You can use it as a general seasoning, it's good on most everything...
> >
> >I'm going to World Market tomorrow, thanx for the tip. They carry
> >decent spices at very reasonable prices...

> "Mitsuwa" out in Arlington Heights has 7 spice. If you can ever get
> out there it's a fun place. Lot's of things you won't see anywhere
> else. It was the only place I could find marinated veggies for
> potstickers. The food court is great too. I know you don't drive,
> but if you can ever drag someone with a car out there plan on spending
> a few hours.
>
> http://www.mitsuwachicago.net/php/index.php?lang=eng

That's on my list, several new pals (who live on my street!) have cars...

There are also places called "H Mart" and "Grand Mart", they are primarily
Korean - run places IIRC that some of the posters on www.lth.forum.com talk
about at length...

Saturday we are having a birthday bash for a friend, she is not only vegan
but Polish, so I'm making a big pot of mushroom - vegatable soup/stew for
her. I have all the mushrooms, I got them up at the Asian places on Argyle
Street here in Chicago...about four pounds of assorted dried and fresh.
Gawd, I love our multi - cultural city...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Gregory Morrow > wrote:
>
> > koko wrote:
> >
> > > I cruised through World Market aka Cost Plus today.
> > > I picked up some saffron and a spice blend I'm not familiar with.
> > > Sansho seven spice blend. The package says, "Shichimi Togarashi -
> > > Flavorful Japanese style spice blend that has a chili heat with notes
> > > of citrus."

> > A flight attendant friend of mine who flies to Tokyo has brought
> > several small bottles of this back for me, it's very good. He gets it
> > at the "Dollar Store" (actually the "100 Yen" store) that is adjacent
> > to their layover hotel at Narita...
> >
> > You can use it as a general seasoning, it's good on most everything...
> >
> > I'm going to World Market tomorrow, thanx for the tip. They carry
> > decent spices at very reasonable prices...

> Well, FINE!! I'll go, too. Maybe today.

Ya know, Barb, if you have a Borders nearby they are selling nice big bags
of xmas - themed Ghiradelli chocolate squares - many flavours - for 50% off
(at least here in Chicawgo)...they have some other xmas - era stuff for sale
too...

Didn't know Borders sold comestibles, but these daze everyone is trying to
get into yer pants for money...

[Checkout was a Lana Turner DVD (_The Big Cube_), a Bette Davis DVD (_Mr.
Skeffington_), a copy of _Collectible Automobile_ magazine (lead story was
about '65 - '66 Cadillacs), and...uh..."I'll take a bag of these here
choco - raspberry squares". Ya gotta love retail...]

Bought several packets of the afore - mentioned Japanese spice at WM, no
other biggie sales except for furniture...hopefully they'll have their "40%
off of any one item" coupon sale going on soon...

[so's you can buy those BIG bags of Lindt TRUFFLES that we know you so
adore... :-) ]

Another hint for you birds that relish chocolate: in late January or so the
Walgreen's drugstore chain puts all it's leftover boxed xmas chocolate on
sale for CHEAPO prices. Last year I scored about ten boxes of Lindt,
Ghiradelli, Droste, etc. pound boxes were like four or so bux...I originally
thought the pricing was a mistake, but it was not.

Just so ya know...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 23:31:00 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>> "Mitsuwa" out in Arlington Heights has 7 spice. If you can ever get
>> out there it's a fun place. Lot's of things you won't see anywhere
>> else. It was the only place I could find marinated veggies for
>> potstickers. The food court is great too. I know you don't drive,
>> but if you can ever drag someone with a car out there plan on spending
>> a few hours.
>>
>> http://www.mitsuwachicago.net/php/index.php?lang=eng
>>

>That's on my list, several new pals (who live on my street!) have cars...

Hopefully they have off street parking. We've always had it. One of
the kids moved to Berwyn and she doesn't. Even visiting is a total
pita.

>There are also places called "H Mart" and "Grand Mart", they are primarily
>Korean - run places IIRC that some of the posters on www.lth.forum.com talk
>about at length...

I've heard of them. The link didn't work. Are they north-side?

>Saturday we are having a birthday bash for a friend, she is not only vegan
>but Polish, so I'm making a big pot of mushroom - vegatable soup/stew for
>her. I have all the mushrooms, I got them up at the Asian places on Argyle
>Street here in Chicago...about four pounds of assorted dried and fresh.
>Gawd, I love our multi - cultural city...

Yep. Fun place for a foodie to live. The mail just came with the new
flyers. I'm seeing Italian beef in the near future. Ultra has
English roasts for $1.98 a pound. I have no clue what the cut is, but
it makes great Italian beef.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Gregory Morrow > wrote:

> > > A flight attendant friend of mine who flies to Tokyo has brought
> > > several small bottles of this back for me, it's very good. He gets it
> > > at the "Dollar Store" (actually the "100 Yen" store) that is adjacent
> > > to their layover hotel at Narita...
> > >
> > > You can use it as a general seasoning, it's good on most everything...
> > >
> > > I'm going to World Market tomorrow, thanx for the tip. They carry
> > > decent spices at very reasonable prices...

> > Well, FINE!! I'll go, too. Maybe today.

> Ya know, Barb, if you have a Borders nearby they are selling nice big bags
> of xmas - themed Ghiradelli chocolate squares - many flavours - for 50% off
> (at least here in Chicawgo)...they have some other xmas - era stuff for sale
> too...

> Didn't know Borders sold comestibles, but these daze everyone is trying to
> get into yer pants for money...

> [so's you can buy those BIG bags of Lindt TRUFFLES that we know you so
> adore... :-) ]

I've received them, but am not all that fond of them. Doesn't stop me
from eating them, though. I don't think I've ever paid money for them.
I like m&ms once in a while. And milk chocolate with nuts all the time.
Oink, oink.

> Another hint for you birds that relish chocolate: in late January or so the
> Walgreen's drugstore chain puts all it's leftover boxed xmas chocolate on
> sale for CHEAPO prices. Last year I scored about ten boxes of Lindt,
> Ghiradelli, Droste, etc. pound boxes were like four or so bux...I originally
> thought the pricing was a mistake, but it was not.
>
> Just so ya know...
>

> :-)

Thanks. Borders is next door to the Lands' End Inlet -- 7 miles away.
:-) I dasn't get involved with the chocolate squares. I'm a
compulsive eater and an impulsive shopper. ;-) I'm set for next
year's Christmas gift baskets/boxes/bags having done serious damage at
Walgreen's (a couple of them) last week. The Widow Dorothy and I went
out to see what we could see. Seventy-five percent off was good. I
spent $50 total.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> koko wrote:
>
> > I cruised through World Market aka Cost Plus today.
> > I picked up some saffron and a spice blend I'm not familiar with.
> > Sansho seven spice blend. The package says, "Shichimi Togarashi -
> > Flavorful Japanese style spice blend that has a chili heat with notes
> > of citrus."

> How big was the package and how much $? *
>
> They sell little (tiny!) bottles of this at the Kor4ean and
> Japanese markets, but they cost at least $2.50 for what I suspect
> is less than a half ounce.

I get the red stuff in the bottles - I love to put it on my pizza for
little extra heat. It fits my level of heat tolerance nicely.

The first tme I encountered it was at a chain in California that
originated in Japan - Yoshinoya Beef Bowl. It was on shakers on
their tables.

As to the green Sansho I like it on fish or eel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 23:31:00 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
> >> "Mitsuwa" out in Arlington Heights has 7 spice. If you can ever get
> >> out there it's a fun place. Lot's of things you won't see anywhere
> >> else. It was the only place I could find marinated veggies for
> >> potstickers. The food court is great too. I know you don't drive,
> >> but if you can ever drag someone with a car out there plan on spending
> >> a few hours.
> >>
> >> http://www.mitsuwachicago.net/php/index.php?lang=eng
> >>

> >That's on my list, several new pals (who live on my street!) have cars...

> Hopefully they have off street parking. We've always had it. One of
> the kids moved to Berwyn and she doesn't. Even visiting is a total
> pita.

Visit Chicago and park yer vehicle and if you aren't careful you will
probably in one way or another contribute to the city's "revenue stream"...I
must see right from my window at least a dozen cars or more a month getting
towed...

You really have to have off - street parking here, can't imagine just
parking one's car on the street...

BTW the city of Berwyn is promoting itself as an "affordable alternative" to
Chicago, there are even billboards touting the place here in Lakeview. Who
knew...!!!???

> >There are also places called "H Mart" and "Grand Mart", they are

primarily
> >Korean - run places IIRC that some of the posters on www.lth.forum.com

talk
> >about at length...

> I've heard of them. The link didn't work. Are they north-side?

Opps, it's www.lthforum.com , just do a search on the site, these places
are suburban...

> >Saturday we are having a birthday bash for a friend, she is not only

vegan
> >but Polish, so I'm making a big pot of mushroom - vegatable soup/stew for
> >her. I have all the mushrooms, I got them up at the Asian places on

Argyle
> >Street here in Chicago...about four pounds of assorted dried and fresh.
> >Gawd, I love our multi - cultural city...

> Yep. Fun place for a foodie to live. The mail just came with the new
> flyers. I'm seeing Italian beef in the near future. Ultra has
> English roasts for $1.98 a pound. I have no clue what the cut is, but
> it makes great Italian beef.

Treasure Island has pork shoulder roasts for 99 cents/lb, guess I'll stock
up...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 22:25:08 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>> Hopefully they have off street parking. We've always had it. One of
>> the kids moved to Berwyn and she doesn't. Even visiting is a total
>> pita.

>Visit Chicago and park yer vehicle and if you aren't careful you will
>probably in one way or another contribute to the city's "revenue stream"...I
>must see right from my window at least a dozen cars or more a month getting
>towed...

I've been parked legally and still got tickets. Look at the brain
dead idiots writing them.

>You really have to have off - street parking here, can't imagine just
>parking one's car on the street...

Life expectancy of the car = 6 months

>BTW the city of Berwyn is promoting itself as an "affordable alternative" to
>Chicago, there are even billboards touting the place here in Lakeview. Who
>knew...!!!???

I didn't see the billboards, but they've got a beautiful 2 br
apartment with a formal dining room, huge living room and an eat in
kitchen. Totally re-done with hardwood floors and central A/C for a
grand a month. The kitchen is big with plenty of cabinets I'd want a
nicer stove, but I think all they do is dust it once a week anyway.
lol

>Treasure Island has pork shoulder roasts for 99 cents/lb, guess I'll stock
>up...

Can't go wrong there!

Lou

World Market Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 40 09-07-2011 04:13 AM
World Market Nad R General Cooking 1 06-07-2011 11:20 PM
Farmer's Market Find Wayne Boatwright[_5_] General Cooking 5 07-10-2008 06:26 PM
Great find at the local Asian market zxcvbob General Cooking 13 25-02-2008 05:00 AM
Cost Plus World Market Serendipity General Cooking 6 07-03-2005 10:10 PM