FoodBanter.com

-   -   Raw Peanuts (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/145814-raw-peanuts.html)

Silvar Beitel 07-01-2008 10:34 PM

Raw Peanuts

When I was at the grocery store the other day, I grabbed a one-pound
bag
of in-the-shell peanuts on a whim. Last night, I settled down to
watch
something on TV, opened the bag to snack and ...

bleah.

Looking more closely at the bag, they were *raw* peanuts. They were
soft and not very flavorful, tasting a bit like raw dried peas (no
surprise
there, eh?)

Anyway, today I roasted them (15 minutes in a 365 degree oven was
about
right - 10 minutes was still too raw, 20 was towards burnt) and they
tasted
fine, albeit, of course, salt-less.

My question is: What can one do with raw peanuts other than turning
them
into cooked peanuts?

--
Silvar Beitel

Janet Bostwick 07-01-2008 11:17 PM

Raw Peanuts

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> When I was at the grocery store the other day, I grabbed a one-pound
> bag
> of in-the-shell peanuts on a whim.

> My question is: What can one do with raw peanuts other than turning
> them
> into cooked peanuts?
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Make Peanut Brittle.
Janet

Mark Thorson 08-01-2008 12:56 AM

Raw Peanuts

Silvar Beitel wrote:

> My question is: What can one do with raw peanuts
> other than turning them
> into cooked peanuts?

I believe raw peanuts are sold for the purpose
of making boiled peanuts. Very popular snack
in the Deep South and in Hawaii. I've had
the Hawaiian version and I've made them myself,
and they are pretty good.

Goomba38 08-01-2008 02:40 AM

Raw Peanuts

Silvar Beitel wrote:

> My question is: What can one do with raw peanuts other than turning
> them
> into cooked peanuts?
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Microwave Peanut Brittle!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Microwave Peanut Brittle

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

1 cup raw peanuts
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup white karo
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda

Stir peanuts, sugar, karo and salt into 1 1/2 quart casserole.
Cook 4 min on High. Stir
Cook 4 more min. on High.
Mix in butter and vanilla. Cook 2 more min. on High.
Add baking soda and stir till white and foamy.
Pour onto lightly greased sheet pan and cool one hour.
Break into pieces and store in airtight container.

Goomba38 08-01-2008 02:41 AM

Raw Peanuts

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Silvar Beitel wrote:
>> My question is: What can one do with raw peanuts
>> other than turning them
>> into cooked peanuts?

> I believe raw peanuts are sold for the purpose
> of making boiled peanuts. Very popular snack
> in the Deep South and in Hawaii. I've had
> the Hawaiian version and I've made them myself,
> and they are pretty good.

Boiled peanuts are boiled in the shell.
Most folks accidentally buy raw but shelled peanuts, I think?
Do we know which one the OP has?

Miche[_3_] 08-01-2008 04:12 AM

Raw Peanuts

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Silvar Beitel wrote:
> >> My question is: What can one do with raw peanuts
> >> other than turning them
> >> into cooked peanuts?

> > I believe raw peanuts are sold for the purpose
> > of making boiled peanuts. Very popular snack
> > in the Deep South and in Hawaii. I've had
> > the Hawaiian version and I've made them myself,
> > and they are pretty good.

> Boiled peanuts are boiled in the shell.
> Most folks accidentally buy raw but shelled peanuts, I think?
> Do we know which one the OP has?

Raw peanuts are used in baking here, specifically for a type of biscuit
(cookie) called "peanut brownies" (which aren't brownies).

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Woolstitcher 08-01-2008 04:23 AM

Raw Peanuts

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> When I was at the grocery store the other day, I grabbed a one-pound
> bag
> of in-the-shell peanuts on a whim. Last night, I settled down to
> watch
> something on TV, opened the bag to snack and ...
>
> bleah.
>
> Looking more closely at the bag, they were *raw* peanuts. They were
> soft and not very flavorful, tasting a bit like raw dried peas (no
> surprise
> there, eh?)
>
> Anyway, today I roasted them (15 minutes in a 365 degree oven was
> about
> right - 10 minutes was still too raw, 20 was towards burnt) and they
> tasted
> fine, albeit, of course, salt-less.
>
> My question is: What can one do with raw peanuts other than turning
> them
> into cooked peanuts?
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

You would still have to roast them, but peanut butter made in the food
processer is wonderful.

I remember someone making a Peanut Stew that was from Africa .. it was
amazing ... don't have a rec though.

Mark Thorson 08-01-2008 05:04 AM

Raw Peanuts

Yes, in his original posting, he said:

> When I was at the grocery store the other day, I grabbed a one-pound
> bag
> of in-the-shell peanuts on a whim. Last night, I settled down to
> watch
> something on TV, opened the bag to snack and ...

Does WebTV not allow you to re-read his original post?

jmcquown 08-01-2008 02:52 PM

Raw Peanuts

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>>
>> Mark Thorson wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe raw peanuts are sold for the purpose
>>> of making boiled peanuts. Very popular snack
>>> in the Deep South and in Hawaii. I've had
>>> the Hawaiian version and I've made them myself,
>>> and they are pretty good.

>> Boiled peanuts are boiled in the shell.
>> Most folks accidentally buy raw but shelled peanuts, I think?
>> Do we know which one the OP has?

> Yes, in his original posting, he said:
>
>> When I was at the grocery store the other day, I grabbed a one-pound
>> bag
>> of in-the-shell peanuts on a whim. Last night, I settled down to
>> watch
>> something on TV, opened the bag to snack and ...

> Does WebTV not allow you to re-read his original post?

Goomba doesn't have WebTV. It's easy to miss a word or phrase here and
there if you read a post very quickly.

Jill

zxcvbob 08-01-2008 09:06 PM

Raw Peanuts

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Silvar Beitel wrote:
>> My question is: What can one do with raw peanuts
>> other than turning them
>> into cooked peanuts?

> I believe raw peanuts are sold for the purpose
> of making boiled peanuts. Very popular snack
> in the Deep South and in Hawaii. I've had
> the Hawaiian version and I've made them myself,
> and they are pretty good.

Shelled raw peanuts is what you use to make peanut brittle. The peanuts
cook in the 300° syrup. I imagine if you tried to make peanut brittle
with roasted peanuts they would burn.

Bob

John Kane 08-01-2008 09:11 PM

Raw Peanuts

On Jan 7, 8:41 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Silvar Beitel wrote:
> >> My question is: What can one do with raw peanuts
> >> other than turning them
> >> into cooked peanuts?

> > I believe raw peanuts are sold for the purpose
> > of making boiled peanuts. Very popular snack
> > in the Deep South and in Hawaii. I've had
> > the Hawaiian version and I've made them myself,
> > and they are pretty good.

> Boiled peanuts are boiled in the shell.
> Most folks accidentally buy raw but shelled peanuts, I think?
> Do we know which one the OP has?

"a one-pound bag of in-the-shell peanuts " suggests that the OP has
peanuts in the shell.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Goomba38 08-01-2008 10:35 PM

Raw Peanuts

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Does WebTV not allow you to re-read his original post?

I dunno? Who's using WebTV?

Goomba38 08-01-2008 10:36 PM

Raw Peanuts

jmcquown wrote:

>> Does WebTV not allow you to re-read his original post?

> Goomba doesn't have WebTV. It's easy to miss a word or phrase here and
> there if you read a post very quickly.
>
> Jill

Yes, thank you Jill. That is exactly what happened.
I have no clue where the WebTV comes into this?

Michael O'Connor 09-01-2008 04:49 AM

Raw Peanuts

On Jan 7, 8:41 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Silvar Beitel wrote:
> >> My question is: What can one do with raw peanuts
> >> other than turning them
> >> into cooked peanuts?

> > I believe raw peanuts are sold for the purpose
> > of making boiled peanuts. Very popular snack
> > in the Deep South and in Hawaii. I've had
> > the Hawaiian version and I've made them myself,
> > and they are pretty good.

> Boiled peanuts are boiled in the shell.
> Most folks accidentally buy raw but shelled peanuts, I think?
> Do we know which one the OP has?

I make boiled peanuts from time to time. Easy to make, just get a
large stock pot with about 3 gallons of water in there, a lot of salt
and a ham hock, and a pound or two of raw peanuts and boil it on high
about 3 hours. You'll know they're done when you crack the shells
open and the peanuts have a little crunch, with about the consistency
of chickpeas.

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 09-01-2008 06:44 AM

Raw Peanuts

On Tue 08 Jan 2008 08:49:43p, Michael O'Connor told us...

> On Jan 7, 8:41 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
>> Mark Thorson wrote:

>> > I believe raw peanuts are sold for the purpose
>> > of making boiled peanuts. Very popular snack
>> > in the Deep South and in Hawaii. I've had
>> > the Hawaiian version and I've made them myself, and they are pretty
>> > good.

>> Boiled peanuts are boiled in the shell.
>> Most folks accidentally buy raw but shelled peanuts, I think?
>> Do we know which one the OP has?

> I make boiled peanuts from time to time. Easy to make, just get a
> large stock pot with about 3 gallons of water in there, a lot of salt
> and a ham hock, and a pound or two of raw peanuts and boil it on high
> about 3 hours. You'll know they're done when you crack the shells
> open and the peanuts have a little crunch, with about the consistency
> of chickpeas.

My grandmother used to boil them that way, then spread them on baking
sheets and roast them in the oven 'til dry.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)
Pandora's Rule: Never open a box you