Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is This A Cheese Slicer ??? I Think Not !!!

Look at it he

http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ120207314961

If it weren't for the two spikes in the middle,
I'd say it was a cheese slicer. It looks something
like a curd knife (used to cut the curd into cubes
during cheesemaking), but it's way too small for
that.

Could it be an unusual form of cake rake?

If not, what are those spikes for?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 06 Jan 2008 09:26:46p, Mark Thorson told us...

> Look at it he
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ120207314961
>
> If it weren't for the two spikes in the middle,
> I'd say it was a cheese slicer. It looks something
> like a curd knife (used to cut the curd into cubes
> during cheesemaking), but it's way too small for
> that.
>
> Could it be an unusual form of cake rake?
>
> If not, what are those spikes for?

i have one that belonged to my parents, exactly like that but with a green
handle. I always knew it as a cheese slicer. I can't remember ever using
it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must play 'Charge of the Light
Brigade' with the other cat in the
hallway at 3 am.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:26:46 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Look at it he
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ120207314961
>
>If it weren't for the two spikes in the middle,
>I'd say it was a cheese slicer. It looks something
>like a curd knife (used to cut the curd into cubes
>during cheesemaking), but it's way too small for
>that.
>
>Could it be an unusual form of cake rake?
>
>If not, what are those spikes for?

I think it is a cake slicer look here

http://www.tias.com/11374/InventoryPage/1909692/1.html

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 1/02

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 06 Jan 2008 09:34:34p, told us...

> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:26:46 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>>Look at it he
>>
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ120207314961
>>
>>If it weren't for the two spikes in the middle,
>>I'd say it was a cheese slicer. It looks something
>>like a curd knife (used to cut the curd into cubes
>>during cheesemaking), but it's way too small for that.
>>
>>Could it be an unusual form of cake rake?
>>
>>If not, what are those spikes for?

> I think it is a cake slicer look here
>
> http://www.tias.com/11374/InventoryPage/1909692/1.html
>
> koko
> ---
> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 1/02
>
> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> George Bernard Shaw

You're partly right. The top implement is a cake breaker used primarily
for angel food and chiffon cakes. The middle one is the cheese slicer.
The bottom one is obviously a knife. We also have the cake breaker, though
I didn't mention in my previous response. I remember my mother using it
with angel food cakes.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
Light a candle, curse the glare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 06 Jan 2008 09:52:43p, Sqwertz told us...

> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:34:34 -0800, koko wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:26:46 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Look at it he
>>>
>>>http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ120207314961
>>>
>>>If it weren't for the two spikes in the middle,
>>>I'd say it was a cheese slicer. It looks something
>>>like a curd knife (used to cut the curd into cubes
>>>during cheesemaking), but it's way too small for that.
>>>
>>>Could it be an unusual form of cake rake?
>>>
>>>If not, what are those spikes for?

>> I think it is a cake slicer look here
>>
>> http://www.tias.com/11374/InventoryPage/1909692/1.html

> I quoted the same site.
>
> But how would you keep from mangling the center of a round cake?
>
> -sw

The top implement in the picture is the cake breaker. It's generally used
on cakes baked in a tube pan, like angel food and chiffon cakes.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
Q: 'Do you favor the overthrow of the
United States government by subversion
or violence?' A: 'Violence.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> If it weren't for the two spikes in the middle,
> I'd say it was a cheese slicer. It looks something
> like a curd knife (used to cut the curd into cubes
> during cheesemaking), but it's way too small for
> that.
>
> Could it be an unusual form of cake rake?
>
> If not, what are those spikes for?

I'd guess that the spikes were a precursor to modern day rollers. They
appear to simply be a thickness controller to me. Personally, I'd break
them off so that I could slice the cheese any thickness I wanted.
The best cheese slicer I ever owned had the roller fail which I removed
and could then slice cheese up to an inch and a half thick. It was great
for cubing along with slicing but required eyeballing.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:26:46 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >Could it be an unusual form of cake rake?

> I think it is a cake slicer look here
>
> http://www.tias.com/11374/InventoryPage/1909692/1.html

The one on top of item group 70006 is definitely
a cake rake.

The one below it looks identical to the eBay
item, and it is probably the one the seller
is describing as a cheese slicer. That seems
to be a positive ID.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 04:54:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>You're partly right. The top implement is a cake breaker used primarily
>for angel food and chiffon cakes. The middle one is the cheese slicer.
>The bottom one is obviously a knife. We also have the cake breaker, though
>I didn't mention in my previous response. I remember my mother using it
>with angel food cakes.

How on earth would the cheese slicer be used? It looks impossible.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 06 Jan 2008 10:47:43p, told us...

> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 04:54:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>You're partly right. The top implement is a cake breaker used primarily
>>for angel food and chiffon cakes. The middle one is the cheese slicer.
>>The bottom one is obviously a knife. We also have the cake breaker,
>>though I didn't mention in my previous response. I remember my mother
>>using it with angel food cakes.

> How on earth would the cheese slicer be used? It looks impossible.

I believe it's for crumbly cheeses.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
What a useless scroll, all it says is
'Hastur Hastur Hastur' over and over again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:26:46 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >Look at it he
> >
> >http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ120207314961
> >
> >If it weren't for the two spikes in the middle,
> >I'd say it was a cheese slicer. It looks something
> >like a curd knife (used to cut the curd into cubes
> >during cheesemaking), but it's way too small for
> >that.
> >
> >Could it be an unusual form of cake rake?
> >
> >If not, what are those spikes for?

> I think it is a cake slicer look here
>
> http://www.tias.com/11374/InventoryPage/1909692/1.html
>
> koko
> ---
> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 1/02
>
> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> George Bernard Shaw

Must be a cheesecake slicer...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 6, 11:26�pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Look at it he
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ120207314961
>
> If it weren't for the two spikes in the middle,
> I'd say it was a cheese slicer. �It looks something
> like a curd knife (used to cut the curd into cubes
> during cheesemaking), but it's way too small for
> that.
>
> Could it be an unusual form of cake rake?
>
> If not, what are those spikes for?

It's a cheese slicer... those two elongated "spikes" are to prevent
the freshly cut slice from sticking back on to the block of cheese...
works especially well with soft cheeses... in delis of years ago such
a cheese slicer was used on farmer and cream cheese.... fifty years
ago cream cheese wasn't available in individual foil wrapped packages,
instead it was sliced to order from a huge block from a wooden box, of
course butter too... was a much better product back then.... farmer
cheese the same... cottage cheese and pot cheese was scooped from a
large wooden pail, later from a parchment lined metal can. People
forget that there was no plastic back then, folks typically brought
their own glass containers when they shopped... even brought their own
milk bottles, not everyone wanted to pay for milk delivery nor was it
available everytwhere. There were no six packs then either, folks
bought beer from the local tavern, tapped from a wooded barrel into
their wooden pail (was called a growler), when I was six years old I
could buy beer... of course I always sipped some from the growler on
the way home. Back then beer was real... no one under sixty years old
has ever tasted real beer... was about then brewerys began using metal
production equipment and artificial ingredients too, plus it's all
pastereurized(cooked).

Pickle Slicer Guv Bob Barbecue 3 10-12-2010 07:18 AM
Potato Slicer Nonny Barbecue 0 07-11-2009 08:00 PM
Slicer, But For What ??? Mark Thorson General Cooking 6 24-02-2009 06:35 PM
garlic slicer Nonnymus Barbecue 7 15-12-2006 03:26 AM
Looking for a GOOD cheese slicer ELAhrens Cooking Equipment 6 16-10-2003 04:31 AM