Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Current grocery prices!

Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!

Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>
> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock

Prices from one week to the next are almost meaningless, and could be due to
the store setting prices higher on some stuff while they lower it on other
stuff. In a broad sense, everything's gone up "SOME" because of the price of
oil. The only way you can really get a sense of whether prices are generally
higher across a wide range of products is to keep track of it for a long
period of time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>
> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

You do know that our country (if your in the US)is in a war right? It seems
like many ppl are more than willing to forget. Prices go up during war
times ... that's why Bush started this oil war in the first place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>
> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock

Water is in tight supply all over the country. The South has been very hard
hit. Water in California is pricey and they have removed subsidies for
growers.

Also, fuel prices are through the roof.

All of this adds up to permanent price increases. Where I live beef is
still cheaper than cauliflower. Around here cauliflower is going for 2.50 a
pound and that is during the growing season. I can get chuck steaks for
1.89 a pound. Corn was a buck an ear, up from 15 cents a few years ago.
Bell peppers are 4 dollars a pound.

A salad has become a very costly proposition.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 5, 7:34*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> increase in prices? *For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> hamburger). *Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! *Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb! *
>
> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

For the last 5 year I had to comfort my family on a very strict diet
of rice and chicken ,
my property taxes went from 350 $ 2,500 $ just on property tax
I forgot how steak looks like .

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Kitchen Nitemare wrote:

> On Jan 5, 7:34 pm, Sky > wrote:
> > Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> > increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> > the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> > about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> > hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> > what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
> >
> > Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
> >
> > --
> > Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> > Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

> For the last 5 year I had to comfort my family on a very strict diet
> of rice and chicken ,
> my property taxes went from 350 $ 2,500 $ just on property tax
> I forgot how steak looks like .

OUCH!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kitchen Nitemare" > wrote in message
On Jan 5, 7:34 pm, Sky > wrote:
> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>
> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

For the last 5 year I had to comfort my family on a very strict diet
of rice and chicken ,
my property taxes went from 350 $ 2,500 $ just on property tax
I forgot how steak looks like .

+++++++++++++++++==

Where do you live?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kitchen Nitemare" > wrote in message

For the last 5 year I had to comfort my family on a very strict diet
of rice and chicken ,
my property taxes went from 350 $ 2,500 $ just on property tax
I forgot how steak looks like .

What happened to all your riches?

" 52000000,00 USD $ for me !! "
" I am New Rich "

http://groups.google.ca/groups?as_q=...0 08&safe=off

http://groups.google.ca/advanced_group_search for author

Or is this spammer not you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 5, 4:34*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> increase in prices? *For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> hamburger). *Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! *Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb! *
>
> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Sky,

I've noticed the same thing as well. (I live in Central California.) I
eat a lot of veggies, and prices do vary considerably from season to
season and week to week. But what use to be .59/pound U.S. -.89/pound
U.S. is not around $1.50, and what was .99 -$1.50 is now $2.50. I use
to get eggs from .89 - $1.50, and they're now over $2.00. Beef went
up with the protein diets everyone was on, and now it's gone up
higher. And all dairy products have gone way up.

I've heard it blamed on the price of corn going way up because of the
diversion from animal feed to new ethanol production. And therefore
there's a big increase in demand. Chickens and cows eat lots of
corn. But it's been a long time since I've seen zucchini or
cauliflower eat corn. So they blame that on the high fuel and
fertilizer prices. It seems funny that bananas haven't really
increased that much. And they have to fuel those cargo ships with
something.

IOW, I don't know the real cause of the price spike, but I sure have
seen it as well. I know this is anecdotal, but it sure seems that way
to me too.

Ken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message

>It seems funny that bananas haven't really

increased that much. And they have to fuel those cargo ships with
something.

Ken

=======================

The freight on cargo ships is divided among a much larger number of "freight
pieces", so it's often cheaper than truck freight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 5, 7:34 pm, Sky > wrote:
> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>
> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock

Eggs are double what they were in the fall, and prices on just about
everything else have climbed due to a) the cost of transportation, and
b) the cost of heat. Anything that has corn or corn derivatives in it
is also climbing due to the greater demand from ethanol production.
(off topic: a bigger crock of guano--the amount of energy produced by
ethanol is offset by the amount of energy it takes to produce ethanol)

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 5, 11:01*pm, "Adolpho" > wrote:
> "Kitchen Nitemare" > wrote in message

> For the last 5 year I had to comfort my family on a very strict diet
> of rice and chicken ,
> *my property taxes went from 350 $ 2,500 $ just on property *tax
> I forgot how steak looks like .
>
> What happened to all your riches?
>
> " 52000000,00 USD $ for me !! *"
> " I am New Rich *"
>
> http://groups.google.ca/groups?as_q=...hl=en&as_epq=&...
>
> Searchhttp://groups.google.ca/advanced_group_searchfor author
>
> Or is this spammer not you?

Hahahahah, yeah in my dreams I was bombarded with these email scams
telling me to send my personal information
to collect like a bunch of millions yeah right every one want your
money if is not a crock is the IRS, the City , the banks, the
electrical power company, the water company, now the gas is so high
The rich is really getting richer, and if you want to use alternative
power you just don't have the money you will end up with your tomb in
your mouth, now if you complaint no one will listen unless you have
millions backing you up oops i almost forget I need to collect those
millions from my Buddy in Nigeria Can I borrow 850,00 to pay the
money delivery insurance . hahaha I just Hope the city of Tampa don't
sell my taxes , Then I will be screw, I believe this governments have
learn a lot from the Italian mafias
any ways all I need to live comfortable Is Jesus. Amen .

By the way if you like I think I have a new scam

http://e-mail-scam.blogspot.com

If you all feel like to insult me or say something bad to me go ahead
if it make you feel better

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Ken wrote:

> On Jan 5, 4:34 pm, Sky > wrote:
> > Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> > increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> > the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> > about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> > hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> > what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
> >
> > Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
> >
> > --
> > Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> > Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

> Sky,
>
> I've noticed the same thing as well. (I live in Central California.) I
> eat a lot of veggies, and prices do vary considerably from season to
> season and week to week. But what use to be .59/pound U.S. -.89/pound
> U.S. is not around $1.50, and what was .99 -$1.50 is now $2.50. I use
> to get eggs from .89 - $1.50, and they're now over $2.00. Beef went
> up with the protein diets everyone was on, and now it's gone up
> higher. And all dairy products have gone way up.
>
> I've heard it blamed on the price of corn going way up because of the
> diversion from animal feed to new ethanol production. And therefore
> there's a big increase in demand. Chickens and cows eat lots of
> corn. But it's been a long time since I've seen zucchini or
> cauliflower eat corn. So they blame that on the high fuel and
> fertilizer prices. It seems funny that bananas haven't really
> increased that much. And they have to fuel those cargo ships with
> something.
>
> IOW, I don't know the real cause of the price spike, but I sure have
> seen it as well. I know this is anecdotal, but it sure seems that way
> to me too.
>
> Ken

I'm sorry you've noticed the same thing I have, Ken. The increased
prices for practically nearly any product make it that much harder for
the "everyday joe or joetta" to get along in the atmosphere of the
current economy. Thanks for concurring my impressions.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

maxine in ri wrote:

> On Jan 5, 7:34 pm, Sky > wrote:
> > Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> > increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> > the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> > about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> > hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> > what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
> >
> > Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
> >

> Eggs are double what they were in the fall, and prices on just about
> everything else have climbed due to a) the cost of transportation, and
> b) the cost of heat. Anything that has corn or corn derivatives in it
> is also climbing due to the greater demand from ethanol production.
> (off topic: a bigger crock of guano--the amount of energy produced by
> ethanol is offset by the amount of energy it takes to produce ethanol)
>
> maxine in ri

Thanks Maxine - this makes a lot more sense than "it's the war"! Either
which-a-way, bummer no matter what. I wonder if miscanthus will ever
outstrip corn as a biofuel? Who knows . . . .

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> On Jan 5, 7:34 pm, Sky > wrote:
>> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
>> increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
>> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
>> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
>> hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
>> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>>
>> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
>>

> Eggs are double what they were in the fall, and prices on just about
> everything else have climbed due to a) the cost of transportation, and
> b) the cost of heat. Anything that has corn or corn derivatives in it
> is also climbing due to the greater demand from ethanol production.
> (off topic: a bigger crock of guano--the amount of energy produced by
> ethanol is offset by the amount of energy it takes to produce ethanol)
>
> maxine in ri

We are the Corn People.

There are many articles and books about corn now. Many would like to call
it a conspiracy; many would like to say it's a necessity, etc.

Good book is "Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan.
Also his book "Omnivore's Dilemma."

Good thing I looked this up, I see he has another book out or coming out:
In Defense of food: an eater's manifesto.

Itelligently written.
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Jan 5, 7:34 pm, Sky > wrote:
>> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
>> increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
>> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
>> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
>> hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
>> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>>
>> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
>>

> Eggs are double what they were in the fall, and prices on just about
> everything else have climbed due to a) the cost of transportation, and
> b) the cost of heat. Anything that has corn or corn derivatives in it
> is also climbing due to the greater demand from ethanol production.
> (off topic: a bigger crock of guano--the amount of energy produced by
> ethanol is offset by the amount of energy it takes to produce ethanol)
>
> maxine in ri

Ethanol is a lose-lose (if not worse) non-solution!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote

> We are the Corn People.
>
> There are many articles and books about corn now.

Yeah! I remember Children of the Corn! Stephen King?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>
> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

I think I need to plant a garden, either raised bed or container. Have
gotten
a few seed catalogs, better start deciding now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Sky wrote:
>> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously
>> sudden increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so,
>> I noticed the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen
>> significantly from about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some,
>> depending on 'grade' of hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes
>> (my fault I didn't notice what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week,
>> the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>>
>> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock

> I don't think it's winter sticker shock. I think it's the wave of what's
> to come, unfortunately. We're experiencing it here in Florida, too. It's
> insane.
>
> kili

Here in Virginia, too. Even the huge Asian/Hispanic store I went to last
week was outrageous. The prices there were as bad as the local Winchester
prices that I've been complaining about. The only thing that hadn't gone up
proportionally was standard Napa Cabbage and Daikon, but everything else was
over-the-top.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> On Jan 5, 4:34�pm, Sky > wrote:
> > Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> > increase in prices? �For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> > the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> > about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> > hamburger). �Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> > what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! �Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb! �
> >
> > Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
> >
> > --
> > Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> > Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

> Sky,
>
> I've noticed the same thing as well. (I live in Central California.) I
> eat a lot of veggies, and prices do vary considerably from season to
> season and week to week. But what use to be .59/pound U.S. -.89/pound
> U.S. is not around $1.50, and what was .99 -$1.50 is now $2.50. I use
> to get eggs from .89 - $1.50, and they're now over $2.00. Beef went
> up with the protein diets everyone was on, and now it's gone up
> higher. And all dairy products have gone way up.
>
> I've heard it blamed on the price of corn going way up because of the
> diversion from animal feed to new ethanol production. And therefore
> there's a big increase in demand. Chickens and cows eat lots of
> corn. But it's been a long time since I've seen zucchini or
> cauliflower eat corn. So they blame that on the high fuel and
> fertilizer prices. It seems funny that bananas haven't really
> increased that much. And they have to fuel those cargo ships with
> something.
>
> IOW, I don't know the real cause of the price spike, but I sure have
> seen it as well. I know this is anecdotal, but it sure seems that way
> to me too.
>
> Ken

I know the prices have gone up for sure - DH was bugging me about
buying too high on the hog!! We eat well, but I am a scratch cook, so
it is all basic foods, not premade salt & fat laden crap. We haven't
been shopping weekly so I am hard put to compare, but I do know I'm
still cooking the same type meals, new recipies all the time, but the
basic foods are what I usually buy.

I can't even find Cauliflower frozen, only in combo with broc &
carrotts. We love it fresh, but the heads have been small, and
expensive. Sams clubs meats in bulk, which I separate, and seal a meal
when I get home, have been a blessing. And it's that salad time of
year, to lose weight before summer hits, so that is more expensive
too. Everybody wants our $$.

I think it is ludicrous to pay farmers not to farm, and I'm fed up
with congress for continuing to do it. That is just one thing I am fed
up that they are doing. Not impeaching or tar and feathering 'shrub'
is on the top of my list. What a travesty his govt is, and he is so
singleminded, WAR, that no one can seem to make him understand what is
really going on.
Nuff bitchin, Nan in DE.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nanzi" > wrote in message
I think it is ludicrous to pay farmers not to farm, and I'm fed up
with congress for continuing to do it.

As early as the mid-1950's there was subsidy for farmers not to farm.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Jan 5, 7:34 pm, Sky > wrote:
>> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
>> increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
>> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
>> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
>> hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
>> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>>
>> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
>>

> Eggs are double what they were in the fall, and prices on just about
> everything else have climbed due to a) the cost of transportation, and
> b) the cost of heat. Anything that has corn or corn derivatives in it
> is also climbing due to the greater demand from ethanol production.
> (off topic: a bigger crock of guano--the amount of energy produced by
> ethanol is offset by the amount of energy it takes to produce ethanol)
>
> maxine in ri

The current idea of grinding up foodstuffs to make ethanol is basically
a big business/SUV subsidy. As you said it takes more energy to make
ethanol that is gained by making it. There is some outfit that wants to
build multiple plants in my state to use corn of course. My buddy is on
the planning board of the local municipality where one plant is proposed
and they have to approve it before the Federal gov't can pull the money
out of our pockets. There would be a $110 Million grant just to build
the plant and then because of the inefficiencies you noted there will
need to be a per gallon subsidy combined with a waiver of liquid fuel
taxes to keep the selling price low enough to mix with gasoline.

Even the Chinese gov't has banned using foodstuffs for making ethanol
because it leads to exactly where we are now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message

> The current idea of grinding up foodstuffs to make ethanol is basically a
> big business/SUV subsidy. As you said it takes more energy to make ethanol
> that is gained by making it. There is some outfit that wants to build
> multiple plants in my state to use corn of course.
>
> Even the Chinese gov't has banned using foodstuffs for making ethanol
> because it leads to exactly where we are now.

Agree that it takes more energy than it makes, but I don't necessarily agree
about the term "foodstuffs". If you divert a truckload of fresh veggies
that would otherwise be feeding people, yes, it can hurt, but if you grow
vegetation on otherwise unused land and make fuel, what is the problem? Not
all corn is good to eat. Get rid of the subsidies for not growing crops and
see what happens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
et...

> "George" > wrote in message
>>
>> The current idea of grinding up foodstuffs to make ethanol is basically a
>> big business/SUV subsidy. As you said it takes more energy to make
>> ethanol that is gained by making it. There is some outfit that wants to
>> build multiple plants in my state to use corn of course.
>>
>> Even the Chinese gov't has banned using foodstuffs for making ethanol
>> because it leads to exactly where we are now.

> Agree that it takes more energy than it makes, but I don't necessarily
> agree about the term "foodstuffs". If you divert a truckload of fresh
> veggies that would otherwise be feeding people, yes, it can hurt, but if
> you grow vegetation on otherwise unused land and make fuel, what is the
> problem? Not all corn is good to eat. Get rid of the subsidies for not
> growing crops and see what happens.

I don't think that is the way it is working out -- growing corn on otherwise
unused land. Good growing land is becoming premium.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>
> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock

Wait till you buy eggs next!

The Economist had a cover article a few weeks ago about rising food
prices. They cited higher fuel cost, diversion of corn for biofuel
causing greater demand and shift to corn from other grains by farmers,
demand from third world nations for more meat and grain, and the
weakness of the American dollar as a few of the reasons.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "E
> > Agree that it takes more energy than it makes, but I don't necessarily
> > agree about the term "foodstuffs". If you divert a truckload of fresh
> > veggies that would otherwise be feeding people, yes, it can hurt, but if
> > you grow vegetation on otherwise unused land and make fuel, what is the
> > problem? Not all corn is good to eat. Get rid of the subsidies for not
> > growing crops and see what happens.

> I don't think that is the way it is working out -- growing corn on otherwise
> unused land. Good growing land is becoming premium.

Corn puts huge demands on the land on which it is growing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Woolstitcher wrote:

> You do know that our country (if your in the US)is in a war right? It seems
> like many ppl are more than willing to forget. Prices go up during war
> times ... that's why Bush started this oil war in the first place.

....did he arrange the weather conditions too..?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Woolstitcher wrote:
> > You do know that our country (if your in the US)is in a war right? *It seems
> > like many ppl are more than willing to forget. *Prices go up during war
> > times ... that's why Bush started this oil war in the first place.

> ...did he arrange the weather conditions too..?

Lol...

I wonder who some of these folks will find to blame everything on
after GWB leaves office...???

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
Goomba38 wrote:

> Woolstitcher wrote:
> > You do know that our country (if your in the US)is in a war right? It
> > seems
> > like many ppl are more than willing to forget. Prices go up during war
> > times ... that's why Bush started this oil war in the first place.

> ...did he arrange the weather conditions too..?

Lol...

I wonder who some of these folks will find to blame everything on
after GWB leaves office...???
Best
Greg

===================

Who else is to blame for using 4000+ American lives for a cause based on
faith, and being too stupid to see that he was repeating our flawed tactics
in the Middle East? I suppose you cold blame Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld and Cheney
for being great salesmen, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message

> Goomba38 wrote:
> > Woolstitcher wrote:
> > > You do know that our country (if your in the US)is in a war right? It
> > > seems
> > > like many ppl are more than willing to forget. Prices go up during war
> > > times ... that's why Bush started this oil war in the first place.

> > ...did he arrange the weather conditions too..?

> Lol...
>
> I wonder who some of these folks will find to blame everything on
> after GWB leaves office...???
> Best
> Greg
>
> ===================
>
> Who else is to blame for using 4000+ American lives for a cause based on
> faith, and being too stupid to see that he was repeating our flawed tactics
> in the Middle East? *I suppose you cold blame Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld and Cheney
> for being great salesmen, though.

yawn

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message

> Goomba38 wrote:
> > Woolstitcher wrote:
> > > You do know that our country (if your in the US)is in a war right? It
> > > seems
> > > like many ppl are more than willing to forget. Prices go up during war
> > > times ... that's why Bush started this oil war in the first place.

> > ...did he arrange the weather conditions too..?

> Lol...
>
> I wonder who some of these folks will find to blame everything on
> after GWB leaves office...???
> Best
> Greg
>
> ===================
>
> Who else is to blame for using 4000+ American lives for a cause based on
> faith, and being too stupid to see that he was repeating our flawed
> tactics
> in the Middle East? I suppose you cold blame Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld and
> Cheney
> for being great salesmen, though.

yawn
Best
Greg

==============

What a great patriot you are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Ken > wrote:

> I've heard it blamed on the price of corn going way up because of the
> diversion from animal feed to new ethanol production. And therefore
> there's a big increase in demand. Chickens and cows eat lots of
> corn. But it's been a long time since I've seen zucchini or
> cauliflower eat corn. So they blame that on the high fuel and
> fertilizer prices. It seems funny that bananas haven't really
> increased that much. And they have to fuel those cargo ships with
> something.

The people that produce the cauliflower and zucchini eat chicken and
cows, and their workers do too. Ethanol is not an energy solution. It is
energy expensive to produce and is a political ploy at best. Excess
ethanol produced for but not sold for other means is viable as a tiny
part of an ordinary nation's energy means. I'm aware of Brazil's 'energy
independence', but Brazil has a completely different demographic and
geographic than the US or any other industrialized country.
Ethanol is a 'we'll show you no matter how much it costs us' solution.
ObFood: I haven't eaten yet tonight and I'm getting cranky.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> but if you grow
> vegetation on otherwise unused land and make fuel, what is the problem? Not
> all corn is good to eat. Get rid of the subsidies for not growing crops and
> see what happens.

My argument to that would be that much of the land that is out of
production through government subsidies, isn't arable at all without
irrigation or leveling which is real expensive in itself and, of course,
would be subsidized by the taxpayers as an added expense through taxes
to a bogus program in the first place.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 5, 7:34*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> increase in prices? *For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> hamburger). *Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! *Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb! *
>
> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

One thing I will tell every one , we need to pray, becouse things will
be worst , there is to much hate going on. People agaist people. And
if you see trough history every powerfull country that had tolerate
HATE has fell down
Only Jesus Can help us .....Got JESUS?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 03:05:04 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:
>
>I wonder who some of these folks will find to blame everything on
>after GWB leaves office...???

Him. He wanted to leave a legacy and being mired *forever* in the
Middle East plus the national dept (grave) is it. I'll be surprised
if we ever climb out of the hole we're in, thanks to President Ego.

Say what you will about Clinton, but when he left office in 2001 we
hadn't declared war in the Mid East and there was a projected surplus
of $6 trillion.

Here is what every American's share of this debt is to date
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
If you can afford to pay off your family's share, pony up.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nanzi" > wrote in message

I think it is ludicrous to pay farmers not to farm, and I'm fed up
with congress for continuing to do it. That is just one thing I am fed
up that they are doing. Not impeaching or tar and feathering 'shrub'
is on the top of my list. What a travesty his govt is, and he is so
singleminded, WAR, that no one can seem to make him understand what is
really going on.
Nuff bitchin, Nan in DE.

Paying farmers not to farm marginal ground keeps them in business so you can
eat. If they're not paid they have to farm every bit of ground they can to
stay in business. Then you get a dust bowl.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > Woolstitcher wrote:
> > > You do know that our country (if your in the US)is in a war
> > > right? *It seems like many ppl are more than willing to forget.
> > > *Prices go up during war times ... that's why Bush started this
> > > oil war in the first place.

> > ...did he arrange the weather conditions too..?

> Lol...
>
> I wonder who some of these folks will find to blame everything on
> after GWB leaves office...???

The usual. If the next President is a Republican (which looks
increasingly unlikely), it will be easy enough to put the new name in
the blank.

If it's a Democrat? Obviously, he/she isn't a _real_ Democrat.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
ouse.com...
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>> > ...did he arrange the weather conditions too..?

>> Lol...
>>
>> I wonder who some of these folks will find to blame everything on
>> after GWB leaves office...???

> The usual. If the next President is a Republican (which looks
> increasingly unlikely), it will be easy enough to put the new name in
> the blank.
>
> If it's a Democrat? Obviously, he/she isn't a _real_ Democrat.

C'mon, Dan. There are certain things which are inarguable at this point in
history. Example: We should've placed the correct country under new
management. The majority of the 9/11 gang was from Saudi Arabia. Why didn't
we invade that country? Simple: The royal family contributes way too much
money to important causes like presidential libraries and other pet
projects. In all fairness, every president has eaten out of Saudi hands,
back as far as Carter. They were all paid to remain quiet.

You won't believe this, though. It would make life difficult.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 5, 7:34 pm, Sky > wrote:
> Is it just my imagination, or have grocery prices had a seriously sudden
> increase in prices? For instance, during the past week or so, I noticed
> the prices of hamburger (minced) meat have risen significantly from
> about US$2.19 to $3.29 (give or take some, depending on 'grade' of
> hamburger). Not to mention, I saw tomatoes (my fault I didn't notice
> what 'variety) were $3.99/lb! Last week, the tomatoes were $2.99/lb!
>
> Sky, who's trying to get over winter+ sticker shock
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

One thing I will tell every one , we need to pray, becouse things will
be worst , there is to much hate going on. People agaist people. And
if you see trough history every powerfull country that had tolerate
HATE has fell down
Only Jesus Can help us .....Got JESUS?

===========================

Suddenly, your Dr Pepper rant makes perfect sense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 21:34:23 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Woolstitcher wrote:
>
>> You do know that our country (if your in the US)is in a war right? It seems
>> like many ppl are more than willing to forget. Prices go up during war
>> times ... that's why Bush started this oil war in the first place.

>...did he arrange the weather conditions too..?

cruddy weather conditions are an indication that he *did* try to plan
them. look at his other 'plans.'

your pal,
laura