Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2008-01-05) New survey on the RFC site: Salt and sugar mix-ups?

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Thanks go to Sky for this one

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wow. I've never been first before, and I wouldn't have been if I
hadn't forgotten I still had rfc open :-D

I don't remember. It seems likely that it happened at some point,
though.

pat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cryambers wrote:
> Wow. I've never been first before, and I wouldn't have been if I
> hadn't forgotten I still had rfc open :-D
>
> I don't remember. It seems likely that it happened at some point,
> though.

Help yourself to a TFH

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:22:24 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Thanks go to Sky for this one

> If people are confusing the two, they need serious help. DOesn't
> salt come in, and is stored in, completely different containers
> of different sizes?
>
> -sw

Most folks tend to keep sugar in their particular personal (perhapds
decorative) containers, not necessarily its original paper packaging as
it comes from the store. It's also possible to accidentally substitute
a 'mise en place' dispenser of salt instead of sugar by having a
momentary lapse of attention. Indeed, there are many variables that can
contribute to the use of one instead of the other.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:22:24 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> > >
> > > Thanks go to Sky for this one

> > If people are confusing the two, they need serious help. DOesn't
> > salt come in, and is stored in, completely different containers
> > of different sizes?
> >
> > -sw

> Most folks tend to keep sugar in their particular personal (perhapds
> decorative) containers, not necessarily its original paper packaging as
> it comes from the store. It's also possible to accidentally substitute
> a 'mise en place' dispenser of salt instead of sugar by having a
> momentary lapse of attention. Indeed, there are many variables that can
> contribute to the use of one instead of the other.

Certainly the two are stored very differently in my kitchen. Sugar is in
one of the 6qt square Rubbermaid commercial storage containers (great
containers, but kinda expensive), while the salt remains in it's factory
box. The only time I ever 'MIP' those items is when baking and in that
case it is only the sugar which is in much greater quantity. The 'MIP'
for the salt is to simply put the box of salt out with the other MIP
items so I remember to measure out the 1/2 tsp and then put the box
away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote

> Sky wrote:
>>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>> > If people are confusing the two, they need serious help. DOesn't
>> > salt come in, and is stored in, completely different containers
>> > of different sizes?

>> Most folks tend to keep sugar in their particular personal (perhapds
>> decorative) containers, not necessarily its original paper packaging as
>> it comes from the store. It's also possible to accidentally substitute
>> a 'mise en place' dispenser of salt instead of sugar by having a
>> momentary lapse of attention. Indeed, there are many variables that can
>> contribute to the use of one instead of the other.

> Certainly the two are stored very differently in my kitchen. Sugar is in
> one of the 6qt square Rubbermaid commercial storage containers (great
> containers, but kinda expensive), while the salt remains in it's factory
> box. The only time I ever 'MIP' those items is when baking and in that
> case it is only the sugar which is in much greater quantity. The 'MIP'
> for the salt is to simply put the box of salt out with the other MIP
> items so I remember to measure out the 1/2 tsp and then put the box
> away.

If you were to MIP salt and sugar while you were making something,
you might add the sugar and salt at the wrong times if you mix them
up. That's the most I could see. Otherwise, salt is in a salt grinder or
box, sugar is in the sugar bowl or the glass canister thing. I just can't
picture an instance where I would put sugar into something when I meant
to put salt, or vice versa.

To each their own, of course.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

The worst mixup I ever had was at the restauraunt. An employee was preparing
a 5 gallon batch of our sweet tea, and used salt instead of sugar. It was
caught because my kitchen staff is required to taste everything they batch
produce. The look on the employees face when he tasted the tea was almost
woth the price of the mistake. :-O

Yes, the containers were labeled. Of course, we made the labels bigger and
placed them all over the containers.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> Certainly the two are stored very differently in my kitchen. Sugar is in
> one of the 6qt square Rubbermaid commercial storage containers (great
> containers, but kinda expensive), while the salt remains in it's factory
> box. The only time I ever 'MIP' those items is when baking and in that
> case it is only the sugar which is in much greater quantity. The 'MIP'
> for the salt is to simply put the box of salt out with the other MIP
> items so I remember to measure out the 1/2 tsp and then put the box
> away.

Well, I have to admit that I put salt in my tea one morning (albeit
years ago), when that Tupperware stuff was all the rage. I paid a
fortune for a 'matching' set of sugar and salt containers, and boy, did
they match! I didn't have my contact lenses in at that time of the
morning, was half awake and I didn't read the labels.... silly me. Blech!

Nowadays, we have the sugar stored in a glass jar (it usually comes in
paper packaging) that one of those rubber seals too - and I buy salt in
500g plastic containers for cooking, so I leave it in there - and I buy
coarse 'sea-salt' in those throw-away grinders for the table...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> The worst mixup I ever had was at the restauraunt. An employee was preparing
> a 5 gallon batch of our sweet tea, and used salt instead of sugar. It was
> caught because my kitchen staff is required to taste everything they batch
> produce. The look on the employees face when he tasted the tea was almost
> woth the price of the mistake. :-O
>
> Yes, the containers were labeled. Of course, we made the labels bigger and
> placed them all over the containers.
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Musta been fun

I suspect this type of mistake is almost exclusively applicable in a
commercial setting where both sugar and salt are usually stored in
standardized containers and in much larger than home quantities. In the
home the quantities / container sizes are usually very different.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:

> The worst mixup I ever had was at the restauraunt. An employee was preparing
> a 5 gallon batch of our sweet tea, and used salt instead of sugar. It was
> caught because my kitchen staff is required to taste everything they batch
> produce. The look on the employees face when he tasted the tea was almost
> woth the price of the mistake. :-O

I can relate to that!! LOL!

> Yes, the containers were labeled. Of course, we made the labels bigger and
> placed them all over the containers.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

>> The worst mixup I ever had was at the restauraunt. An employee was
>> preparing a 5 gallon batch of our sweet tea, and used salt instead
>> of sugar. It was caught because my kitchen staff is required to
>> taste everything they batch produce. The look on the employees face
>> when he tasted the tea was almost woth the price of the mistake. :-O
>>
>> Yes, the containers were labeled. Of course, we made the labels
>> bigger and placed them all over the containers.
>> --
>> Dave
>> www.davebbq.com

> Musta been fun
>
> I suspect this type of mistake is almost exclusively applicable in a
> commercial setting where both sugar and salt are usually stored in
> standardized containers and in much larger than home quantities. In
> the home the quantities / container sizes are usually very different.

That's it in a nutshell :-) We use 5 gallon sized containers, which holds
about 35 pounds of sugar or salt. The big wide opening allows us to use
large scoops and measuring containers. I prefer the translucent heavy
plastic containers because you can readily visualize how much is in the
container.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>

>> The worst mixup I ever had was at the restauraunt. An employee was
>> preparing a 5 gallon batch of our sweet tea, and used salt instead
>> of sugar. It was caught because my kitchen staff is required to
>> taste everything they batch produce. The look on the employees face
>> when he tasted the tea was almost woth the price of the mistake. :-O

> I can relate to that!! LOL!

Yeah, you're expecting one thing and your tongue says it's something else.
It's a combination of the taste and the mental whiplash from the totally
unexpected.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Thanks go to Sky for this one

We have a basket with various containers for things like that. It has two
covered sugar bowls, one for white sugar and one for crown, plus an open
bowl of cane sugar and one with salt. Last summer when my won was year he
put a spoonful of salt in his coffee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 5, 1:22 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Thanks go to Sky for this one

People are lying. I'd say about half the people who cook have made
that mistake at sometime or another.

Not me, of course, but you hear things....

<g>
maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Thanks go to Sky for this one

My mother once emptied out a salt shaker and put sugar in it for
sprinkling on cookies she was making. My dad got home late and went to
eat the supper saved for him, and he picked up that salt shaker. He
kept salting the mashed potatoes . . .

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Salt and sugar mix-ups

Years ago I was on the School Board of a district that had a vocational
high school attached to the academic high school. Occasionally we had
daytime meetings in the building and a few of us would go to the
student-run restaurant there (available to faculty and seniors of both
schools) for breakfast which was usually delicious.

Certain student jokesters thought it was hilarious to substitute salt in
the sugar bowl, or at least a thick enough layer on top so that salt was
what you got when you sugared your coffee. Taking that first sip of
very salty coffee was always a shock. We ate there seldom enough that
we were not on the lookout for the substitution.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default User wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Thanks go to Sky for this one

> My mother once emptied out a salt shaker and put sugar in it for
> sprinkling on cookies she was making. My dad got home late and went to
> eat the supper saved for him, and he picked up that salt shaker. He
> kept salting the mashed potatoes . . .
>
> Brian

OH OH OH, the picture of this scene has made me giggle something
fierce! Thanks for the laugh

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> Salt and sugar mix-ups
>
> Certain student jokesters thought it was hilarious to substitute salt
> in the sugar bowl, or at least a thick enough layer on top so that
> salt was what you got when you sugared your coffee. Taking that
> first sip of very salty coffee was always a shock. We ate there
> seldom enough that we were not on the lookout for the substitution.
>
> gloria p

Must have been 30 years ago I was told if you buy really cheap ground coffee
(back then it was the "Cost Cutter" yellow packaging at Kroger) to add a
little salt to the grinds before brewing it to help alleviate bitterness.
Obviously that's different from adding a spoonful of salt to a cuppa joe! I
only tried buying that el-cheapo coffee once. After that I waited until I
got to the office to have a cup of coffee; it was at least marginally better

I've never mixed up sugar with salt or vice versa in a cooking situation.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Jan 5, 1:22 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Thanks go to Sky for this one

> People are lying. I'd say about half the people who cook have made
> that mistake at sometime or another.
>
> Not me, of course, but you hear things....
>
> <g>
> maxine in ri

I don't really understand how it could happen, maxine. I have some salt in
a salt shaker and the rest in the box it came in. I store sugar in a glass
cannister. There's no confusing the two.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 06 Jan 2008 08:07:45a, jmcquown told us...

> maxine in ri wrote:
>> On Jan 5, 1:22 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Thanks go to Sky for this one

>> People are lying. I'd say about half the people who cook have made
>> that mistake at sometime or another.
>>
>> Not me, of course, but you hear things....
>>
>> <g>
>> maxine in ri

> I don't really understand how it could happen, maxine. I have some salt

in
> a salt shaker and the rest in the box it came in. I store sugar in a

glass
> cannister. There's no confusing the two.
>
> Jill

I have, on one occasion, mixed up cornstarch and baking soda. Both had ben
transferred to glass snap-lid canning jars. I can attest that baking soda
and Lemon Meringue Pie are not compatible. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
'Yield to temptation, it may not pass
your way again.' - L. Long

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri > wrote in news:e8045c9e-f376-454c-8892-
:

> On Jan 5, 1:22 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

>> Thanks go to Sky for this one

> People are lying. I'd say about half the people who cook have made
> that mistake at sometime or another.
>
> Not me, of course, but you hear things....

I use Maldon Sea Salt (always in the packet)..... and have a small round
plastic container of sugar for 2 of our friends who 'need' to have sugar
in their coffee/tea.

I have about 25kgs of sugar (bagged) that I use to brew spirits........
but other that that, the only sugar we have in the house is caster sugar
for making cakes etc. (and that's in the 'baking section' of my pantry)

Not much of a chance of mixing them up :-)

I used to have a "Standard NATO" for my coffee.... a looooooooong time
ago.

(White with 2 sugars)

Now, it's black coffee, black tea.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Wars begin where you will...
but they do not end where you please.

Machiavelli
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> maxine in ri wrote:
>> On Jan 5, 1:22 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Thanks go to Sky for this one

>> People are lying. I'd say about half the people who cook have made
>> that mistake at sometime or another.
>>
>> Not me, of course, but you hear things....
>>
>> <g>
>> maxine in ri

> I don't really understand how it could happen, maxine. I have some salt

in
> a salt shaker and the rest in the box it came in. I store sugar in a

glass
> cannister. There's no confusing the two.
>
> Jill

Jill,

About the same here. A box of kosher salt is in the spice lazy Susan and
apothecary jars of flours and sugars are in the pantry. I tear off and
leave the labels in the flour jars. I only use granular sugar (not
recently), so that's no problem..

Andy

P.S. Welcome home. --A

--
All Posts Blocked From: @yahoo|@gmail|@hotmail
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:22:24 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
>Thanks go to Sky for this one

I haven't mixed up salt and sugar but once at my parents' house I
mixed up sugar and flour...

How do you do that, you ask? My sister was making the gravy, she
needed the flour, I reached into the cabinet and got the flour
container from the lazy susan. Well, it *looked* like a flour
container. But it contained powdered sugar.

She wondered why the gravy wasn't getting thick...

A couple of kids really liked it. Wanted to know "Is Aunt Roxie gonna
make sweet gravy again this year?" :-)

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 14:36:21 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>If you were to MIP salt and sugar while you were making something,
>you might add the sugar and salt at the wrong times if you mix them
>up. That's the most I could see. Otherwise, salt is in a salt grinder or
>box, sugar is in the sugar bowl or the glass canister thing. I just can't
>picture an instance where I would put sugar into something when I meant
>to put salt, or vice versa.
>
>To each their own, of course.
>
>nancy

don't you people drink in the kitchen?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote

> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 14:36:21 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>If you were to MIP salt and sugar while you were making something,
>>you might add the sugar and salt at the wrong times if you mix them
>>up. That's the most I could see. Otherwise, salt is in a salt grinder or
>>box, sugar is in the sugar bowl or the glass canister thing. I just can't
>>picture an instance where I would put sugar into something when I meant
>>to put salt, or vice versa.
>>
>>To each their own, of course.

> don't you people drink in the kitchen?

Oh! I didn't know you wanted stories of what I did in the kitchen
while in an inebriated state! That changes everything. (laugh) Still
never mixed up the salt and the sugar.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> > don't you people drink in the kitchen?

> Oh! I didn't know you wanted stories of what I did in the kitchen
> while in an inebriated state! That changes everything. (laugh) Still
> never mixed up the salt and the sugar.

I have to confuse to a few lapses in judgement. A few years ago I dumped
some chicken into a wok, causing the oil to sputter and splash and give me
a nasty burn on my wrist. A few days later I repeated that mistake and got
a matching burn on the other wrist. Then there was the avocado incident.
After two Manhattans I was preparing a salad to go with the leg of lamb
that was almost ready on the BBQ. I held the avocado in one hand and swung
the knife into it. I was shocked to see the knife halfway through the index
finger on my left hand. I immediately slapped a paper towel on it and
applied pressure while my wife ran to get bandages.

I managed to stop the bleeding and enjoyed a nice dinner with some good
wine. The next morning I headed off to the ER to get stitched because it
bled when I changed the dressing. I caught a blast from the ER nurse for
not coming in the night before. But what the heck.....a nice bottle of
wine and a nice leg of BBQed lamb versus waiting in the ER?? It was too
late for stitches, but it healed up.

I learned not to hold avocados in one hand while chopping :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 06 Jan 2008 04:34:55p, Dave Smith told us...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>

>> > don't you people drink in the kitchen?

>> Oh! I didn't know you wanted stories of what I did in the kitchen
>> while in an inebriated state! That changes everything. (laugh) Still
>> never mixed up the salt and the sugar.

> I have to confuse to a few lapses in judgement. A few years ago I dumped
> some chicken into a wok, causing the oil to sputter and splash and give

me
> a nasty burn on my wrist. A few days later I repeated that mistake and

got
> a matching burn on the other wrist. Then there was the avocado incident.
> After two Manhattans I was preparing a salad to go with the leg of lamb
> that was almost ready on the BBQ. I held the avocado in one hand and

swung
> the knife into it. I was shocked to see the knife halfway through the

> finger on my left hand. I immediately slapped a paper towel on it and
> applied pressure while my wife ran to get bandages.
>
> I managed to stop the bleeding and enjoyed a nice dinner with some good
> wine. The next morning I headed off to the ER to get stitched because it
> bled when I changed the dressing. I caught a blast from the ER nurse for
> not coming in the night before. But what the heck.....a nice bottle of
> wine and a nice leg of BBQed lamb versus waiting in the ER?? It was too
> late for stitches, but it healed up.
>
> I learned not to hold avocados in one hand while chopping :-)

Good thing you weren't holding it under your chin. You could have
decapitated yourself. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
A dog is a dog, but a cat is a purrson!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 18:34:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Then there was the avocado incident.
>After two Manhattans I was preparing a salad to go with the leg of lamb
>that was almost ready on the BBQ. I held the avocado in one hand and swung
>the knife into it. I was shocked to see the knife halfway through the index
>finger on my left hand. I immediately slapped a paper towel on it and
>applied pressure while my wife ran to get bandages.

Oh, man... I remember you posting about that little incident. It's a
cautionary tale about drinking and using sharp knives.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> >Then there was the avocado incident.
> >After two Manhattans I was preparing a salad to go with the leg of lamb
> >that was almost ready on the BBQ. I held the avocado in one hand and swung
> >the knife into it. I was shocked to see the knife halfway through the index
> >finger on my left hand. I immediately slapped a paper towel on it and
> >applied pressure while my wife ran to get bandages.

> Oh, man... I remember you posting about that little incident. It's a
> cautionary tale about drinking and using sharp knives.

:-) It was a learning experience for me. It didn't hurt much, and it
healed up quickly. I will chalk it up to a learning experience. That was a
few years ago and, unlike the hot wok incident, I have not (yet) repeated
it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:22:24 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>> >
>> > Thanks go to Sky for this one

>> If people are confusing the two, they need serious help. DOesn't
>> salt come in, and is stored in, completely different containers
>> of different sizes?
>>
>> -sw

> Most folks tend to keep sugar in their particular personal (perhapds
> decorative) containers, not necessarily its original paper packaging as
> it comes from the store. It's also possible to accidentally substitute
> a 'mise en place' dispenser of salt instead of sugar by having a
> momentary lapse of attention. Indeed, there are many variables that can
> contribute to the use of one instead of the other.
>
> Sky

I haven't made the salt vs sugar mix up during cooking, but have, while
distracted, picked up a sachet of salt instead of sugar at a cafe and put
that in my tea

bleeccchh

re another type of mix up...
my ex was making shepherd's pie one day, and used icing sugar instead of
cornflour for thickening...he couldn't work out why the gravy wouldn't
thicken up lol

once he'd tasted it and discovered his mistake, he thought he could cover
the mess up by rinsing the meat/veg etc under running water, and making a
new gravy

still tasted horribly sweet...he eventually confessed to what he'd done when
I refused to eat any more

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:21:12 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Oh! I didn't know you wanted stories of what I did in the kitchen
>while in an inebriated state! That changes everything. (laugh) Still
>never mixed up the salt and the sugar.

The MIL always lectured the family about drinking in moderation (right
about the time she had distributed sequential pourings of the
daiquiris she kept in Tupperware containers in the freezer, and which
always seemed to replicate themselves overnight). She also kept a
liquer glass of sherry on the kitchen counter as she cooked dinner,
which also seemed to miraculously refill itself.

OTOH, that woman turned out the most amazing meals in a '40s built
kitchen that had only ever seen the appliances changed out! Awful
kitchen by today's standards - narrow, roughly 90 square feet,
precious little counter or cupboard space, but that woman could
produce a meal to make the food gods jealous.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd--

SEAGULL MANAGER : A manager, who flies in, makes a lot of noise,
craps on everything, and then leaves.

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote

> On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:21:12 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>>Oh! I didn't know you wanted stories of what I did in the kitchen
>>while in an inebriated state! That changes everything. (laugh) Still
>>never mixed up the salt and the sugar.

> The MIL always lectured the family about drinking in moderation (right
> about the time she had distributed sequential pourings of the
> daiquiris she kept in Tupperware containers in the freezer, and which
> always seemed to replicate themselves overnight). She also kept a
> liquer glass of sherry on the kitchen counter as she cooked dinner,
> which also seemed to miraculously refill itself.

Guess she thought no one would notice. That's okay.

> OTOH, that woman turned out the most amazing meals in a '40s built
> kitchen that had only ever seen the appliances changed out! Awful
> kitchen by today's standards - narrow, roughly 90 square feet,
> precious little counter or cupboard space, but that woman could
> produce a meal to make the food gods jealous.

A real cook. Imagine what she could do with a nice kitchen?
Probably no better.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:55:55 -0600, Terry >
wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:22:24 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>>Thanks go to Sky for this one

>I haven't mixed up salt and sugar but once at my parents' house I
>mixed up sugar and flour...
>
>How do you do that, you ask? My sister was making the gravy, she
>needed the flour, I reached into the cabinet and got the flour
>container from the lazy susan. Well, it *looked* like a flour
>container. But it contained powdered sugar.
>
>She wondered why the gravy wasn't getting thick...
>
>A couple of kids really liked it. Wanted to know "Is Aunt Roxie gonna
>make sweet gravy again this year?" :-)
>
>Best -- Terry

too funny.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote
>
>> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 14:36:21 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>If you were to MIP salt and sugar while you were making something,
>>>you might add the sugar and salt at the wrong times if you mix them
>>>up. That's the most I could see. Otherwise, salt is in a salt grinder or
>>>box, sugar is in the sugar bowl or the glass canister thing. I just can't
>>>picture an instance where I would put sugar into something when I meant
>>>to put salt, or vice versa.
>>>
>>>To each their own, of course.

>> don't you people drink in the kitchen?

>Oh! I didn't know you wanted stories of what I did in the kitchen
>while in an inebriated state! That changes everything. (laugh) Still
>never mixed up the salt and the sugar.
>
>nancy

just don't confuse the hot sauce with *anything*.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Thanks go to Sky for this one

Not that I can recall, but I did use 1 T. of salt instead
of 1 t. of salt for my first "cooking" event when I was
about 8 and wanted to make Sat. lunch for my dad.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Kate Connally wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Thanks go to Sky for this one

> Not that I can recall, but I did use 1 T. of salt instead
> of 1 t. of salt for my first "cooking" event when I was
> about 8 and wanted to make Sat. lunch for my dad.
>
> Kate

So, how did you dad like your first cooking attempt and what did you
cook for Saturday lunch? The curious (me!) would like to know!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Kate Connally wrote:
>
>>ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>>Thanks go to Sky for this one

>>Not that I can recall, but I did use 1 T. of salt instead
>>of 1 t. of salt for my first "cooking" event when I was
>>about 8 and wanted to make Sat. lunch for my dad.
>>
>>Kate

> So, how did you dad like your first cooking attempt and what did you
> cook for Saturday lunch? The curious (me!) would like to know!
>
> Sky

I made egg salad sandwiches from a recipe in
a children's cookbook (Betty Crocker?) I misread
the amount of salt. My dad made a face but didn't
say anything. But when I tasted mine I realized
what went wrong. Daddy was very nice about it but
did not finish his sandwich. I don't know what we
ate instead.

Kate