Old 03-01-2008, 02:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Potato Soup and a Salad (pics at alt.binaries.food)

Mixed green salad (bagged lettuces shoot me) and potato soup. Cukes,
carrots, red onion, and tomatoes were added to the lettuce mix. It was
dressed with some olive oil, verjus, and red wine vinegar.

When locally grown leeks are plentiful in the late summer and fall, I
make a sort of soup base with them, using chicken broth for some of the
liquid. I freeze 2-cup packages with instructions to add a couple diced
potatoes and milk, heating through.

That's almost what I did. :-) I peeled and diced four spuds and
cooked them until tender. I mashed them with a potato mashed and added
a package of the frozen soup base and some chicken broth. I took the
stick blender to it to puree it some, added about 1-1/2 cups diced
leftover ham (OHMIGOD!!! It's been in the fridge for a WEEK! We're
gonna DIE!), added some evaporated milk (didn't have any half and half
in house), heated through and served it up. Garnished with a few
sprinkles of Penzeys Sunny Paris seasoning and some black pepper. It
was served hot and eaten hot.

Dayam! It was tasty. I, uh, hard more than one bowl of it. ALL
RIGHT!!! So I finished it off. Rob had a couple bowls, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to

Old 03-01-2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I peeled and diced four spuds and
cooked them until tender. I mashed them with a potato mashed and added
a package of the frozen soup base and some chicken broth. I took the
stick blender to it to puree it some, added about 1-1/2 cups diced
leftover ham (OHMIGOD!!! It's been in the fridge for a WEEK! We're
gonna DIE!), added some evaporated milk (didn't have any half and half
in house), heated through and served it up. Garnished with a few
sprinkles of Penzeys Sunny Paris seasoning and some black pepper. It
was served hot and eaten hot.

Dayam! It was tasty. I, uh, hard more than one bowl of it. ALL
RIGHT!!! So I finished it off. Rob had a couple bowls, too.

That sounds perfect for the frigid weather we've been having.
I have a miserable cold and last night's dinner was macaroni and cheese
with (gasp) ham left over from the weekend before Christmas. (Nyah,
nyah, we're probably gonna die before you do.) I haven't been grocery
shopping since before Christmas due to our DC trip and the romaine was
throw-away nasty, so we had applesauce and a salad made from one
overripe pear, salvageable bits from an avocado that's been around
4ever, and gorgonzola with a blush wine dressing. Since I couldn't
taste anything, it was fine.

gloria p
Old 03-01-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 03 Jan 2008 11:46:39a, kilikini told us...

Puester wrote:
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

[...]

I've had a craving for mac 'n cheese, so your meal sounds wonderful to
me. Hmmm, you just gave me a thought. I have tortillas, cheese and
mushrooms. Maybe a quesdadilla would do the trick. Yum.

It's darn cold here in Central Florida, too. Some parts in our area got
below 20 degrees (our town's lowest sank to 26F) and before all of you
folks do the "boo hoo-to-you" thing, keep in mind that this was
seriously damaging to the citrus and strawberry crops. Our state
strawberry festival is next month and the consensus is that the crop was
severely hit. This evening's news should tell more about the status of
that.

On a bright note, I'm warm and toasty wrapped up in 3 sweatshirts,
socks, slippers, sweatpants, a towel around my neck, and a blanket
around me. We don't have heat in the house, but layers *do* work!
They're just cumbersome and make cooking difficult. How did the
pioneers do it? :~)

kili

They built fires, which I do not suggest unless you have a fireplace or
wood stove in the house. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 01(I)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Butterflies. If you throw it.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in
:

Some parts in our area got
below 20 degrees (our town's lowest sank to 26F) and before all of you
folks do the "boo hoo-to-you" thing,

In these parts when it gets up to 26F we consider putting on shorts.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

On a bright note, I'm warm and toasty wrapped up in 3 sweatshirts, socks,
slippers, sweatpants, a towel around my neck, and a blanket around me. We
don't have heat in the house, but layers *do* work! They're just cumbersome
and make cooking difficult. How did the pioneers do it? :~)

Wood heat.

:-)
gloria p

Old 04-01-2008, 12:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in message
..

On a bright note, I'm warm and toasty wrapped up in 3 sweatshirts, socks,
slippers, sweatpants, a towel around my neck, and a blanket around me. We
don't have heat in the house, but layers *do* work! They're just
cumbersome and make cooking difficult. How did the pioneers do it? :~)

kili

They hardly had time to sit down. Just to eat, sleep & ...., so they stayed
warm.
:-)
Dee Dee

Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"kilikini" wrote:

It's darn cold here in Central Florida, too. Some parts in our area got
below 20 degrees (our town's lowest sank to 26F) and before all of you folks
do the "boo hoo-to-you" thing, keep in mind that this was seriously damaging
to the citrus and strawberry crops. Our state strawberry festival is next
month and the consensus is that the crop was severely hit. This evening's
news should tell more about the status of that.

On a bright note, I'm warm and toasty wrapped up in 3 sweatshirts, socks,
slippers, sweatpants, a towel around my neck, and a blanket around me. We
don't have heat in the house, but layers *do* work! They're just cumbersome
and make cooking difficult. How did the pioneers do it? :~)

kili

Yeah, my grandniece was to be married on the beach at Captiva at about
4:30 this afternoon. I wonder if she had her snuggies on. . . .
Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 13:46:39 -0500, "kilikini"
wrote:

On a bright note, I'm warm and toasty wrapped up in 3 sweatshirts, socks,
slippers, sweatpants, a towel around my neck, and a blanket around me. We
don't have heat in the house, but layers *do* work! They're just cumbersome
and make cooking difficult. How did the pioneers do it? :~)

kili

they froze their butts off is what.

your pal,
blake
Old 04-01-2008, 05:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 20:12:44 GMT, hahabogus wrote:

"kilikini" wrote in
:

Some parts in our area got
below 20 degrees (our town's lowest sank to 26F) and before all of you
folks do the "boo hoo-to-you" thing,

In these parts when it gets up to 26F we consider putting on shorts.

yeah, and when i was a kid we had to walk miles through the snow to
get to twenty-six degrees.

your pal,
blake
Old 04-01-2008, 05:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 22:00:56 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

"kilikini" wrote:

[...]

barb, it's not polite to speculate about the bride's underwear...

your pal,
blake

Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 20:12:44 GMT, hahabogus wrote:

"kilikini" wrote in
:

Some parts in our area got
below 20 degrees (our town's lowest sank to 26F) and before all of you
folks do the "boo hoo-to-you" thing,

In these parts when it gets up to 26F we consider putting on shorts.

yeah, and when i was a kid we had to walk miles through the snow to
get to twenty-six degrees.

What? No skis?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Old 04-01-2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"kilikini" wrote:

It's darn cold here in Central Florida, too. Some parts in our area got
below 20 degrees (our town's lowest sank to 26F) and before all of you folks
do the "boo hoo-to-you" thing, keep in mind that this was seriously damaging
to the citrus and strawberry crops. Our state strawberry festival is next
month and the consensus is that the crop was severely hit. This evening's
news should tell more about the status of that.

Yeah, my grandniece was to be married on the beach at Captiva at about
4:30 this afternoon. I wonder if she had her snuggies on. . . .

I think that falls in the category of "Never assume..."

gloria p
Old 04-01-2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
news should tell more about the status of that.

On a bright note, I'm warm and toasty wrapped up in 3 sweatshirts, socks,
slippers, sweatpants, a towel around my neck, and a blanket around me. We
don't have heat in the house, but layers *do* work! They're just cumbersome
and make cooking difficult. How did the pioneers do it? :~)

kili

We were not pioneers, but lived in Delray Beach in the late 1950's.
The house, like most at the time was not heated or air conditioned. We
had a kerosene heater. Served the purpose even the smell is not
great.
--
Susan N.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote in news:2Eufj.4855$w4.4779
@fe117.usenetserver.com:

What? No skis?

It is so flat here that you can watch your dog run away from home all
weekend. So skiis would be not a good idea.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
ChattyCathy wrote in news:2Eufj.4855$w4.4779
@fe117.usenetserver.com:

What? No skis?

It is so flat here that you can watch your dog run away from home all
weekend.

It takes a whole weekend to fall off the edge of the Earth from where
you live? I'm Impressed.