Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cool Whip Frosting

In article <3xUdj.604$yv5.17@trndny07>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Hmmm... I've made a lot of frostings in my time but never one with flour in
> it! And that sounds like a LOT of milk. I wonder how it sets up?

LOL! I just remarked about the flour, too, before reading your post.
It doesn't set up -- it's soft and greasy and sometimes compared to
whipped cream. Clearly it is nothing like whipped cream, but that's the
comparison that's sometimes made. It's an old recipe -- at least 40
years back.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article <3xUdj.604$yv5.17@trndny07>,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... I've made a lot of frostings in my time but never one with flour
>> in
>> it! And that sounds like a LOT of milk. I wonder how it sets up?

> LOL! I just remarked about the flour, too, before reading your post.
> It doesn't set up -- it's soft and greasy and sometimes compared to
> whipped cream. Clearly it is nothing like whipped cream, but that's the
> comparison that's sometimes made. It's an old recipe -- at least 40
> years back.

Yikes! I wouldn't like it then. Never had a frosting with Crisco in it
until we got some bakery cake that was made that way. Can't say I cared for
it.

When I was a kid, I made some boiled frostings (can't remember the names)
but mostly it was a hunk of Blue Bonnet margarine (never had butter in the
house), powdered sugar and whatever flavorings I wanted with a few drops to
a few spoonfuls of milk, depending on how thick I wanted it and how much I
was making.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 30 Dec 2007 07:54:54p, Becca told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Hmmm... I've made a lot of frostings in my time but never one with
>>> flour in it! And that sounds like a LOT of milk. I wonder how it
>>> sets up?
>>>

>> Before folks began using cream cheese frosting on Red Velvet Cake, this
>> was the standard type of frosting used on it.

> On Red Velvet Cakes, I use Seven Minute Frosting. It has been a couple
> of years since I made one.
>
> Becca

Yes, that's certainly another good option. The original recipe was with
the cooked frosting (as above), but that dates back to the 1950s. I still
have an original clipped recipe of it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 12(XII)/30(XXX)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
1dys 3hrs 35mins
Go Speed Racer Go Speed Racer Go Speed
Racer Go

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 30 Dec 2007 07:53:00p, Ms P told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...

2

>> Before folks began using cream cheese frosting on Red Velvet Cake, this
>> was the standard type of frosting used on it.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> That's where I've seen this frosting recipe! I knew I'd seen it with

some
> specific cake recipe but I couldn't remember which one.
>
> Ms P

Yep, that be the one. Started in the 1950s.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 12(XII)/30(XXX)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
1dys 3hrs 35mins
Go Speed Racer Go Speed Racer Go Speed
Racer Go

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 30 Dec 2007 07:48:48p, Julie Bove told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...

>>> Hmmm... I've made a lot of frostings in my time but never one with
>>> flour in it! And that sounds like a LOT of milk. I wonder how it
>>> sets up?
>>>

>> Before folks began using cream cheese frosting on Red Velvet Cake, this
>> was the standard type of frosting used on it.

> Really? I didn't know that. I never made one. My mom had some story
> about Red Velvet Cake. I can't remember exactly but I want to say
> something like she had an aunt she despised who always made it. So
> every time I mentioned making one, she shrieked, "Nooooo!"

I don't dislike Red Velvet Cake (regardless of which frosting is used), but
I don't find it particularly special either.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 12(XII)/30(XXX)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
1dys 3hrs 35mins
Go Speed Racer Go Speed Racer Go Speed
Racer Go

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 10:50 am, (Little Malice) wrote:
> It's not something I'd want to try either. I've been trying scratch
> frostings lately and though I haven't done this one, it sounds nice
> to me:
>
> French Vanilla Frosting

Here's a scratch recipe that I make all the time and really like:

Marshmallow Meringue

2-1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1 Tbs milk
4-egg whites
6 Tbs granulated sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a saucepan, heat milk and marshmallows
over medium heat. Fold with rubber spatula
while heating. Continue folding marshmallows
until they have all melted. Remove from heat.
Set aside until needed.

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar.
When egg whites are foamy, add 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time
and beat about 30-seconds before adding next tablespoon of sugar.
Continue until all sugar has been added to egg whites.

Add vanilla to egg whites after all sugar has been added.

Continue beating egg whites until stiff peaks form.

Fold melted, warm, marshmallow sauce into egg whites
until well incorporated.

Spread immediately over pie or cake.

If desired, bake in 350F oven, until peaks of marshmallow meringue
are slightly browned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 03:22:30 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>"Anna" > wrote in message
.. .
>>1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
>> 1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
>> 1 cup milk
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>>
>> In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix with milk and vanilla. Mix until
>> smooth. Gently fold in whipped topping until no streaks remain. Spread
>> evenly over cake

>Ugh. That sounds vile!

It's a take-off on a Mandarin Orange Cake, which is actually popular
around here.

There's one at this link.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mandari...-I/Detail.aspx

My MIL makes one when everyone goes to visit, though she makes a
pineapple-orange cake from scratch and she uses whipped cream instead
of topping. That changes the equation. It has to be eaten quickly
because it has zero shelf life, although that's never been a problem..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 08:56:39 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo®"
> wrote:

>On Dec 30, 10:22*am, "Ms P" > wrote:
>> "Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message

>> It's flat out not nice to insult people
>> for their taste, whatever it might be.

>Guess I'm "flat out not nice."
>>
>> Ms P

>--Bryan

don't flatter yourself. mostly you're just tedious.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:59:56 -0900, Anna >
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:37:59 GMT, blake murphy >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:35:31 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo®"
> wrote:

>>>Has anyone ever called you a piece of trash? If not, consider that
>>>remedied. Only garbage would prepare/serve what you posted.
>>>
>>>--Bryan

>>smite her, bobo! by god's holy horn!
>>
>>your pal,
>>blake

>Sounds like the stuff your momma has been fixin for you. May you choke
>on it.

ease up, anna, i'm on your side. i might not eat the stuff myself,
but post what you want, honey.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:
> On Sun 30 Dec 2007 07:48:48p, Julie Bove told us...
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> > 3.184...
> >> On Sun 30 Dec 2007 02:59:27p, Julie Bove told us...

> >> Before folks began using cream cheese frosting on Red Velvet Cake, this
> >> was the standard type of frosting used on it.

> > Really? I didn't know that. I never made one. My mom had some story
> > about Red Velvet Cake. I can't remember exactly but I want to say
> > something like she had an aunt she despised who always made it. So
> > every time I mentioned making one, she shrieked, "Nooooo!"
> >

> I don't dislike Red Velvet Cake (regardless of which frosting is used), but
> I don't find it particularly special either.

What does it taste like? I assume the "red" is just food coloring in a
white cake...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Little Malice" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:
>> On Sun 30 Dec 2007 07:48:48p, Julie Bove told us...
>>

>> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> > 3.184...

>> > Really? I didn't know that. I never made one. My mom had some story
>> > about Red Velvet Cake. I can't remember exactly but I want to say
>> > something like she had an aunt she despised who always made it. So
>> > every time I mentioned making one, she shrieked, "Nooooo!"
>> >

>> I don't dislike Red Velvet Cake (regardless of which frosting is used),
>> but
>> I don't find it particularly special either.

> What does it taste like? I assume the "red" is just food coloring in a
> white cake...
>
> --
> Jani in WA

I had it once, it was chocolate with red added, nothing special.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 31 Dec 2007 03:36:09p, Little Malice told us...

> One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:
>> On Sun 30 Dec 2007 07:48:48p, Julie Bove told us...
>>

>> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> > 3.184...

>> > Really? I didn't know that. I never made one. My mom had some
>> > story about Red Velvet Cake. I can't remember exactly but I want to
>> > say something like she had an aunt she despised who always made it.
>> > So every time I mentioned making one, she shrieked, "Nooooo!"
>> >

>> I don't dislike Red Velvet Cake (regardless of which frosting is used),
>> but I don't find it particularly special either.

> What does it taste like? I assume the "red" is just food coloring in a
> white cake...

It has a rather small amount of cocoa and a huge amount of red food
coloring. Not enough cocoa to really distinguish as a chocolate cake, so
it's almost a neutral flavor. It's "pretty". :-) It was all the rage in
the mid 1950s, and originally known as the Waldorf Astoria Red Cake. I
suppose it could be said that it's a nice birthday cake. The texture is
nice, and the original frosting (made with milk and flour, butter and
sugar) is very smooth and creamy.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 12(XII)/31(XXXI)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
7hrs 55mins
'A lie told often enough becomes the
truth.' -- Lenin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

>> I don't dislike Red Velvet Cake (regardless of which frosting is used), but
>> I don't find it particularly special either.

> What does it taste like? I assume the "red" is just food coloring in a
> white cake...

No.. it is red in a CHOCOLATE cake. So... ya see the problem? To make a
brown cake red takes a hellafa LOT of red dye. I find the cake takes on
a slightly unpleasant taste myself. But that doesn't seem to hinder my
accepting a slice when offered? LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 31 Dec 2007 04:12:50p, Goomba38 told us...

> Little Malice wrote:
>
>>> I don't dislike Red Velvet Cake (regardless of which frosting is
>>> used), but I don't find it particularly special either.

>> What does it taste like? I assume the "red" is just food coloring in a
>> white cake...
>>

> No.. it is red in a CHOCOLATE cake. So... ya see the problem? To make a
> brown cake red takes a hellafa LOT of red dye. I find the cake takes on
> a slightly unpleasant taste myself. But that doesn't seem to hinder my
> accepting a slice when offered? LOL.

I have a hard time classifying this as a CHOCOLATE cake, since the typical
recipe (there are many variations) calls for only 3 tablespoons of cocoa
and 2 ONCES of red food coloring. :-)

This one is fairly typical:

Waldorf Astoria Red Cake

1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs
2 oz. red food coloring
1 c. buttermilk
1 TBS. vinegar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 TBS. cocoa
2 1/4 c. flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Frosting:
3 TBS. four
1 c. milk
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. margarine
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Cake:
Make paste of cocoa and coloring. Cream shortening, sugar and eggs. Add
cocoa & coloring. Mix well. Add buttermilk with vinegar and flour with salt
alternately. By hand, fold in vanilla and baking soda. Grease and flour
cake pans. Makes 3 layers. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Frosting:
Cook until thick- flour and milk. Beat until creamy -shortening, margarine,
sugar, vanilla. Mix together and add milk and flour mixture a little at a
time and beat well.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 12(XII)/31(XXXI)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
7hrs 45mins
Health is the slowest rate at which
one can die.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 5:23*pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> >> What does it taste like? I assume the "red" is just food coloring in a
> >> white cake...

> > No.. it is red in a CHOCOLATE cake. So... ya see the problem? To make a
> > brown cake red takes a hellafa LOT of red dye. I find the cake takes on
> > a slightly unpleasant taste myself. But that doesn't seem to hinder my
> > accepting a slice when offered? LOL.

> I have a hard time classifying this as a CHOCOLATE cake, since the typical
> recipe (there are many variations) calls for only 3 tablespoons of cocoa
> and 2 ONCES of red food coloring. :-)
>
> This one is fairly typical:
>
> Waldorf Astoria Red Cake
>
> 1/2 c. shortening
> 2 eggs
> 2 oz. red food coloring
> 1 c. buttermilk
> 1 TBS. vinegar
> 1 tsp. baking soda
> 1 1/2 c. sugar
> 3 TBS. cocoa
> 2 1/4 c. flour
> 3/4 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. vanilla
>
> Frosting:
> 3 TBS. four
> 1 c. milk
> 1/2 c. shortening
> 1/2 c. margarine
> 1 c. sugar
> 1 tsp. vanilla

That's not a recipe for cake and frosting. It's a recipe for dogshit.

No intelligent person uses ****ing shortening in 2007.

> --
> * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 4:34*pm, (Little Malice) wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:
>

> > In article >,
> > (Little Malice) wrote:

> > > French Vanilla Frosting

> > > 1 C. milk
> > > 3 T. flour

> > > Make a white sauce of above. It will be very thick. Boil for 1 few
> > > minutes. Cool completely.

> > > 1/2 lb. (2 sticks) butter
> > > 1 C. granulated sugar
> > > 2 tsp. vanilla extract

> > > Cream butter. Add sugar and vanilla. Combine white sauce and beat at
> > > high speed on food mixer for about 5 minutes. Makes enough to frost a
> > > 2 or 3 layer cake.

> > I've made this with Crisco. *It's hard for me to get past the idea of
> > flour in a cake frosting. *It's pretty greasy, Jani.

> Ew, really? Maybe I'll just make a tiny batch and we can test it on
> graham crackers...

Crisco isn't fit for a pig to eat.
You'd have to dumb as a pig to cook with it.
Unfortunately, it does almost nothing to clean up the gene pool, since
it nearly always kills after normal reproductive years.

> --
> Jani in WA

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 31 Dec 2007 04:47:57p, Bobo Bonobo® told us...

> On Dec 31, 5:23*pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>> > No.. it is red in a CHOCOLATE cake. So... ya see the problem? To make

>> > brown cake red takes a hellafa LOT of red dye. I find the cake takes

on
>> > a slightly unpleasant taste myself. But that doesn't seem to hinder my
>> > accepting a slice when offered? LOL.

>> I have a hard time classifying this as a CHOCOLATE cake, since the

typical

>> recipe (there are many variations) calls for only 3 tablespoons of cocoa
>> and 2 ONCES of red food coloring. :-)
>>
>> This one is fairly typical:
>>
>> Waldorf Astoria Red Cake
>>
>> 1/2 c. shortening
>> 2 eggs
>> 2 oz. red food coloring
>> 1 c. buttermilk
>> 1 TBS. vinegar
>> 1 tsp. baking soda
>> 1 1/2 c. sugar
>> 3 TBS. cocoa
>> 2 1/4 c. flour
>> 3/4 tsp. salt
>> 1 tsp. vanilla
>>
>> Frosting:
>> 3 TBS. four
>> 1 c. milk
>> 1/2 c. shortening
>> 1/2 c. margarine
>> 1 c. sugar
>> 1 tsp. vanilla
>>

> That's not a recipe for cake and frosting. It's a recipe for dogshit.
>
> No intelligent person uses ****ing shortening in 2007.
>>
>> --
>> * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright

> --Bryan

First off, I was giving this as an example, not as a recommendation.

Secondly, I've finally had about enough of your crap, Bryan, and I think a
lot of other folks here have, as well. This is clearly a group you don't
belong in.

Thanks the cybergods for killfiles...

Bye bye!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 12(XII)/31(XXXI)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
7hrs 10mins
Cats are good company for singles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 5:12�pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Little Malice wrote:
> >> I don't dislike Red Velvet Cake (regardless of which frosting is used), but
> >> I don't find it particularly special either. �

> > What does it taste like? I assume the "red" is just food coloring in a
> > white cake...

> No.. it is red in a CHOCOLATE cake. So... ya see the problem? To make a
> brown cake red takes a hellafa LOT of red dye. I find the cake takes on
> a slightly unpleasant taste myself. But that doesn't seem to hinder my
> accepting a slice when offered? LOL.

I remember my grandmother making this cake, and she used a whole
bottle of red food coloring in the cake. I liked it, it was special!
of cou I was a kid and really amazed you could have a red cake that
tasted chocolate. Have not had one in years, maybe I will make it.

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 5:52 pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> On Mon 31 Dec 2007 04:47:57p, Bobo Bonobo® told us...
>

> > On Dec 31, 5:23 pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >> On Mon 31 Dec 2007 04:12:50p, Goomba38 told us...

> on

> >> I have a hard time classifying this as a CHOCOLATE cake, since the

> typical
>
> >> recipe (there are many variations) calls for only 3 tablespoons of cocoa
> >> and 2 ONCES of red food coloring. :-)

> >> This one is fairly typical:

> >> Waldorf Astoria Red Cake

> >> 1/2 c. shortening
> >> 2 eggs
> >> 2 oz. red food coloring
> >> 1 c. buttermilk
> >> 1 TBS. vinegar
> >> 1 tsp. baking soda
> >> 1 1/2 c. sugar
> >> 3 TBS. cocoa
> >> 2 1/4 c. flour
> >> 3/4 tsp. salt
> >> 1 tsp. vanilla

> >> Frosting:
> >> 3 TBS. four
> >> 1 c. milk
> >> 1/2 c. shortening
> >> 1/2 c. margarine
> >> 1 c. sugar
> >> 1 tsp. vanilla

> > That's not a recipe for cake and frosting. It's a recipe for dogshit.

> > No intelligent person uses ****ing shortening in 2007.

> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright

> > --Bryan

> First off, I was giving this as an example, not as a recommendation.
>
> Secondly, I've finally had about enough of your crap, Bryan, and I think a
> lot of other folks here have, as well. This is clearly a group you don't
> belong in.
>
> Thanks the cybergods for killfiles...
>
> Bye bye!

You deserve to die of coronary artery disease.

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> 2 oz. red food coloring

And this dates from the time when red food coloring was
carcinogenic, or something.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 5:52 pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> On Mon 31 Dec 2007 04:47:57p, Bobo Bonobo® told us...
>

> > On Dec 31, 5:23 pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >> On Mon 31 Dec 2007 04:12:50p, Goomba38 told us...

> on

> >> I have a hard time classifying this as a CHOCOLATE cake, since the

> typical
>
> >> recipe (there are many variations) calls for only 3 tablespoons of cocoa
> >> and 2 ONCES of red food coloring. :-)

> >> This one is fairly typical:

> >> Waldorf Astoria Red Cake

> >> 1/2 c. shortening
> >> 2 eggs
> >> 2 oz. red food coloring
> >> 1 c. buttermilk
> >> 1 TBS. vinegar
> >> 1 tsp. baking soda
> >> 1 1/2 c. sugar
> >> 3 TBS. cocoa
> >> 2 1/4 c. flour
> >> 3/4 tsp. salt
> >> 1 tsp. vanilla

> >> Frosting:
> >> 3 TBS. four
> >> 1 c. milk
> >> 1/2 c. shortening
> >> 1/2 c. margarine
> >> 1 c. sugar
> >> 1 tsp. vanilla

> > That's not a recipe for cake and frosting. It's a recipe for dogshit.

> > No intelligent person uses ****ing shortening in 2007.

> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright

> > --Bryan

> First off, I was giving this as an example, not as a recommendation.

You posted it in a thread advocating freaking Cool Whip. If it was so
obviously not "a recommendation," then why so defensive? It was
sloppy on your part, or should I say, "SLoppy"?

> Secondly, I've finally had about enough of your crap, Bryan, and I think a
> lot of other folks here have, as well.

Sure, and I'd just bet there there are some others who think that some
of these things need to be said, but they are too nice to say them.

> This is clearly a group you don't belong in.

I've been killfiltered by a lot of people, many better, and many worse
than you.
Do you really think that I'll get off of my tirade against
hydrogenated fats because a few more people killfile me? Do I seem
like I'm very concerned with being liked? I'll, I'm sure, find
reasons to compliment some of your posts, based on worthiness, and as
such I maintain my integrity. You, on the other hand, play the drama
queen who hasn't the courage to even read my replies.

For the most part, I've been quite friendly to you, but I don't shy
away from making a valid point because I don't want to offend any
particular person.

I'm RIGHT about the partially hydrogenated oils issue, and nothing
will deter me from posting about it in as aggressive a way as I happen
to feel like at the time. I read, and feel free to comment upon any
and all posts.

> Thanks the cybergods for killfiles...
>
> Bye bye!

You may not read this, but many will. Some, maybe a large majority
will sympathize with you. Others will see that in an age of virtually
unlimited bandwidth, killfiltering = cowardice.

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

>> Secondly, I've finally had about enough of your crap, Bryan, and I think a
>> lot of other folks here have, as well. This is clearly a group you don't
>> belong in.
>>
>> Thanks the cybergods for killfiles...
>>
>> Bye bye!

> You deserve to die of coronary artery disease.
>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

> --Bryan

I doubt that occasional use of Crisco kills anyone. The rage you often
seem to go into at the mere mention of it probably does you more harm
then taking in a little Crisco once a month or so?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 7:52 am, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> >> Secondly, I've finally had about enough of your crap, Bryan, and I think a
> >> lot of other folks here have, as well. This is clearly a group you don't
> >> belong in.

> >> Thanks the cybergods for killfiles...

> >> Bye bye!

> > You deserve to die of coronary artery disease.

> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright

> > --Bryan

> I doubt that occasional use of Crisco kills anyone.

Atherosclerosis is cumulative. Partially hydrogenated fats are huge
contributors to coronary artery disease. Their probably second only
to tobacco in deadliness.

> The rage you often seem to go into at the mere mention of it probably
> does you more harm then taking in a little Crisco once a month or so?

The fact that people tolerate its legality means that millions may die
sooner than they otherwise would. It also means that I can't get a
Goddamned pastry at a regular grocery store.

Also, you can't know how much actual "rage" I am or am not feeling.
I'm a good actor, and "rage" is a specialty. I sing in a punkrock
band.

--Bryan http://youtube.com/watch?v=SStEMsI4lqk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> It has a rather small amount of cocoa and a huge amount of red food
> coloring. Not enough cocoa to really distinguish as a chocolate cake, so
> it's almost a neutral flavor. It's "pretty". :-) It was all the rage in
> the mid 1950s, and originally known as the Waldorf Astoria Red Cake. I
> suppose it could be said that it's a nice birthday cake. The texture is
> nice, and the original frosting (made with milk and flour, butter and
> sugar) is very smooth and creamy.

People stopped making the Red Velvet Cake, because there are so many
great cake recipes available.

This chocolate/coffee cake and frosting recipe has been in my family for
at least 3+ generations. It is moist, has a beautiful color, but it
tastes much better than the Red Velvet Cake, IMO.

Becca

* Exported from Key Home Gourmet *

Red Earth Cake & Frosting

Recipe By : Becca Love
Serving Size : O
Categories : 0

Amount Measure Ingredients
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 large egg
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon red food coloring
4 tablespoons strong coffee
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour, sifted
1 cup buttermilk

-- Preparation Method

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour 2 9-inch cake pans.
Cream butter and sugar; add eggs one at a time. Mix. Add cocoa, food
coloring, coffee, baking soda, vanilla and salt. Mix. While mixing,
alternately add flour and buttermilk. Mix for 2 minutes
on medium speed. Pour into cake pans and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30
minutes.

Red Earth Frosting

1 box (1 lb.) powdered sugar
1 stick butter, melted
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons red food coloring
3 tablespoons strong coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

To melted butter, add coffee, food coloring and vanilla extract. Mix
well. Add powdered sugar and mix well. Beat until smooth. For a
thinner icing, add more coffee, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, or milk can be
added to desired consistency.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Goomba38 > said:
> Little Malice wrote:
>
> >> I don't dislike Red Velvet Cake (regardless of which frosting is used), but

> >> I don't find it particularly special either.

> > What does it taste like? I assume the "red" is just food coloring in a
> > white cake...
> >

> No.. it is red in a CHOCOLATE cake. So... ya see the problem? To make a
> brown cake red takes a hellafa LOT of red dye. I find the cake takes on
> a slightly unpleasant taste myself. But that doesn't seem to hinder my
> accepting a slice when offered? LOL.

I get it now. I've seen them in food catalogs -- this one for example:

http://www.swisscolony.com/Gift-Guide/Red-Velvet-Cake.
pro?keyword=red+velvet&size=9&pageName=SC%3ASearch %3ASearch+Results

Guess I should have read the description... ;-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 08:52:01 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>
>>> Secondly, I've finally had about enough of your crap, Bryan, and I think a
>>> lot of other folks here have, as well. This is clearly a group you don't
>>> belong in.
>>>
>>> Thanks the cybergods for killfiles...
>>>
>>> Bye bye!

>> You deserve to die of coronary artery disease.
>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>>

>> --Bryan
>>

>I doubt that occasional use of Crisco kills anyone. The rage you often
>seem to go into at the mere mention of it probably does you more harm
>then taking in a little Crisco once a month or so?

he's fixated on the subject because his lover is too cheap to buy k-y
jelly.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 06:21:14 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo®"
> wrote:

>On Jan 1, 7:52 am, Goomba38 > wrote:
>> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

>> The rage you often seem to go into at the mere mention of it probably
>> does you more harm then taking in a little Crisco once a month or so?

>The fact that people tolerate its legality means that millions may die
>sooner than they otherwise would. It also means that I can't get a
>Goddamned pastry at a regular grocery store.
>
>Also, you can't know how much actual "rage" I am or am not feeling.
>I'm a good actor, and "rage" is a specialty. I sing in a punkrock
>band.
>
>--Bryan http://youtube.com/watch?v=SStEMsI4lqk

good to know your emotions are all artificial.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:32:34 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo®"
> wrote:

>On Dec 31, 5:52 pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>> Secondly, I've finally had about enough of your crap, Bryan, and I think a
>> lot of other folks here have, as well.

>Sure, and I'd just bet there there are some others who think that some
>of these things need to be said, but they are too nice to say them.

yes, just like richard nixon you speak for the silent majority.

>> This is clearly a group you don't belong in.

>I've been killfiltered by a lot of people, many better, and many worse
>than you.
>Do you really think that I'll get off of my tirade against
>hydrogenated fats because a few more people killfile me? Do I seem
>like I'm very concerned with being liked? I'll, I'm sure, find
>reasons to compliment some of your posts, based on worthiness, and as
>such I maintain my integrity. You, on the other hand, play the drama
>queen who hasn't the courage to even read my replies.
>
>For the most part, I've been quite friendly to you, but I don't shy
>away from making a valid point because I don't want to offend any
>particular person.
>
>I'm RIGHT about the partially hydrogenated oils issue, and nothing
>will deter me from posting about it in as aggressive a way as I happen
>to feel like at the time. I read, and feel free to comment upon any
>and all posts.
>>
>> Thanks the cybergods for killfiles...
>>
>> Bye bye!

>You may not read this, but many will. Some, maybe a large majority
>will sympathize with you. Others will see that in an age of virtually
>unlimited bandwidth, killfiltering = cowardice.

you're a true crusader, bobo, and no doubt you're saving millions of
lives. we're lucky to have you here.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 02 Jan 2008 12:00:39p, blake murphy told us...

> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 08:52:01 -0500, Goomba38 >
> wrote:

>>> You deserve to die of coronary artery disease.

>>> --Bryan
>>>

>>I doubt that occasional use of Crisco kills anyone. The rage you often
>>seem to go into at the mere mention of it probably does you more harm
>>then taking in a little Crisco once a month or so?

> he's fixated on the subject because his lover is too cheap to buy k-y
> jelly.
>
> your pal,
> blake

LOL!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
If in doubt, don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 02 Jan 2008 12:02:25p, blake murphy told us...

And, after all, who the **** cares.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
If in doubt, don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, blake murphy > said:
> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 08:52:01 -0500, Goomba38 >
> wrote:

> >> You deserve to die of coronary artery disease.

> >> --Bryan
> >>

> >I doubt that occasional use of Crisco kills anyone. The rage you often
> >seem to go into at the mere mention of it probably does you more harm
> >then taking in a little Crisco once a month or so?

> he's fixated on the subject because his lover is too cheap to buy k-y
> jelly.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Reminds me of an old ditty, sung to the tune of "Turkey In the Straw":

You can put it in a pan
You can put it in a bowl
You can put it on your finger
You can stick it in a hole!
Crisco!

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 1:02 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 06:21:14 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo®"
>

> > wrote:
> >On Jan 1, 7:52 am, Goomba38 > wrote:
> >> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> >> The rage you often seem to go into at the mere mention of it probably
> >> does you more harm then taking in a little Crisco once a month or so?

> >The fact that people tolerate its legality means that millions may die
> >sooner than they otherwise would. It also means that I can't get a
> >Goddamned pastry at a regular grocery store.

> >Also, you can't know how much actual "rage" I am or am not feeling.
> >I'm a good actor, and "rage" is a specialty. I sing in a punkrock
> >band.

> >--Bryan http://youtube.com/watch?v=SStEMsI4lqk

> good to know your emotions are all artificial.

Not all. You just have no way of knowing which are.

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yeah. Who the **** cares?

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 3:01 pm, (Little Malice) wrote:
> One time on Usenet, blake murphy > said:
>

> > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 08:52:01 -0500, Goomba38 >
> > wrote:

> > >I doubt that occasional use of Crisco kills anyone. The rage you often
> > >seem to go into at the mere mention of it probably does you more harm
> > >then taking in a little Crisco once a month or so?

> > he's fixated on the subject because his lover is too cheap to buy k-y
> > jelly.

> > your pal,
> > blake

> Reminds me of an old ditty, sung to the tune of "Turkey In the Straw":
>
> You can put it in a pan
> You can put it in a bowl
> You can put it on your finger
> You can stick it in a hole!
> Crisco!

I hope you're singing about anal sex. Only an idiot would use it as a
vaginal lubricant. The same sort of person who thinks of it as a
valid food.

> --
> Jani in WA

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 1:00 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 08:52:01 -0500, Goomba38 >
> wrote:

> >> You deserve to die of coronary artery disease.

> >> --Bryan

> >I doubt that occasional use of Crisco kills anyone. The rage you often
> >seem to go into at the mere mention of it probably does you more harm
> >then taking in a little Crisco once a month or so?

> he's fixated on the subject because his lover is too cheap to buy k-y
> jelly.

You know what K-Y is good for? Hair gel. It works just as well as
other hair gels, and is fragrance free.

And you're a fool if you think that the trans fat issue is bullshit.
City and state governments are criminalizing the stuff.
http://www.newstarget.com/hydrogenated_oils.html

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:49:10 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo®"
> wrote:

>On Jan 2, 1:02 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 06:21:14 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo®"
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >The fact that people tolerate its legality means that millions may die
>> >sooner than they otherwise would. It also means that I can't get a
>> >Goddamned pastry at a regular grocery store.

>> >Also, you can't know how much actual "rage" I am or am not feeling.
>> >I'm a good actor, and "rage" is a specialty. I sing in a punkrock
>> >band.

>> >--Bryan http://youtube.com/watch?v=SStEMsI4lqk

>> good to know your emotions are all artificial.

>Not all. You just have no way of knowing which are.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>--Bryan

yeah, i guess i should pay more attention.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 15:00:10 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo®"
> wrote:

>On Jan 2, 1:00 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 08:52:01 -0500, Goomba38 >
>> wrote:

>> >I doubt that occasional use of Crisco kills anyone. The rage you often
>> >seem to go into at the mere mention of it probably does you more harm
>> >then taking in a little Crisco once a month or so?

>> he's fixated on the subject because his lover is too cheap to buy k-y
>> jelly.

>You know what K-Y is good for? Hair gel. It works just as well as
>other hair gels, and is fragrance free.
>
>And you're a fool if you think that the trans fat issue is bullshit.
>City and state governments are criminalizing the stuff.
>http://www.newstarget.com/hydrogenated_oils.html
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>--Bryan

a punk rocker weighs in on the virtue of the nanny state. you really
are cutting-edge.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, blake murphy > said:
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:01:12 GMT, (Little
> Malice) wrote:
>
> >One time on Usenet, blake murphy > said:

> think a

> don't

> >> he's fixated on the subject because his lover is too cheap to buy k-y
> >> jelly.
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> >Reminds me of an old ditty, sung to the tune of "Turkey In the Straw":
> >
> >You can put it in a pan
> >You can put it in a bowl
> >You can put it on your finger
> >You can stick it in a hole!
> >Crisco!

> i don't think that one ever made it to my neighborhood.

A couple of friends made it up, IIRC. It was a long time ago, but like
Crisco, it sticks in your head...

--
Jani in WA

Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] Baking 6 05-09-2013 11:58 PM
Cool Whip Frosting? merryb General Cooking 25 24-03-2013 02:37 AM
Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 01-01-2008 09:18 PM
Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] Recipes 1 31-12-2007 06:58 AM