Old 29-12-2007, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whole Foods Worker Sacked For Stopping Shoplifter...

Gregory Morrow wrote:
[the most "interesting" part of this particular drama is that the dude
stashed away almost ___$350.00___ worth of vittles in a shopping
bag...but it IS Whole Paycheck, after all...]

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...for_stopp.html

Grocery worker fired for stopping shoplifter

by Dave Gershman | The Ann Arbor News
Thursday December 27, 2007, 8:15 AM

......snip

Schultz said he was called to the store's office the next day, on
Christmas Eve, and was fired because he violated a company policy
prohibiting employees from having any physical contact with a
customer.

Kate Klotz, a company spokesperson, said the policy is clear and
listed in a booklet that all employees have to acknowledge that they
received before they can start work.

"The fact that he touched him, period, is means for termination," said
Klotz.

Since when is a thief considered a 'customer'? Schultz was affecting the
apprehension of a criminal, he wasn't manhandling grandma selecting the best
bunch of bannanas in the fruit aisle. I wonder what kind of settlement
Schultze's attorneys will go for. I'm sure happy that we ain't got an
AssWhole Foods around here.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 29-12-2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Schultz, 35, of Ypsilanti Township, had worked at the store for five years,
most recently as a fishmonger. He wants his job back.

"The fact that I worked at the store at (the time of the robbery) is
coincidental," he said. "If I had went over to the book store on my break
and they were being ripped off, I would have helped them."

/

Unfortunately the first thing you have to consider in operating a
business is not doing something that may allow John Edwards or one of
his friends to transfer huge wealth to themselves.

You can be assured that "Mr Thief" if identified will get dozens of
calls with offers to "help him" obtain large monetary compensation for
the terrible ordeal of someone trying to stop him.
Old 29-12-2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[the most "interesting" part of this particular drama is that the dude
stashed away almost ___$350.00___ worth of vittles in a shopping bag...but
it IS Whole Paycheck, after all...]

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...for_stopp.html

Grocery worker fired for stopping shoplifter

by Dave Gershman | The Ann Arbor News
Thursday December 27, 2007, 8:15 AM

BY DAVE GERSHMAN
The Ann Arbor News

"John Schultz says he lost his job at Whole Foods Market in Ann Arbor after
he tried to stop a shoplifter from making a getaway. But the company says he
went too far and violated a policy that prohibits employees from physically
touching a customer - even if that person is carrying a bag of stolen goods.

Schultz says he had just punched out for a break at 7 p.m. on Sunday when he
heard a commotion at the front door of the store, 3135 Washtenaw Ave. He
said he came to the aid of the manager who yelled for help in stopping a
shoplifter. Schultz, the manager and another employee cornered the
shoplifter between two cars in the parking lot.

Schultz said he told the shoplifter he was making a citizens arrest and to
wait for the police to arrive, but the shoplifter broke away from the group
and ran across Washtenaw Avenue and toward a gas station at the corner of
Huron Parkway.

Before the man could cross Huron Parkway, Schultz caught up and grabbed the
man's jacket and put his leg behind the man's legs. When the manager arrived
at the intersection, Schultz said, the manager told him to release the
shoplifter, and he complied, and the shoplifter got away.

Schultz said he was called to the store's office the next day, on Christmas
Eve, and was fired because he violated a company policy prohibiting
employees from having any physical contact with a customer.

Kate Klotz, a company spokesperson, said the policy is clear and listed in a
booklet that all employees have to acknowledge that they received before
they can start work.

"The fact that he touched him, period, is means for termination," said
Klotz.

Schultz said he acted as a private citizen on property that isn't owned by
Whole Foods, but Klotz said where the incident happened doesn't change the
policy.

"He is still considered an employee of Whole Foods Market regardless of
where he was and what was happening," she said.

The police report of the incident doesn't mention Schultz's
involvement. It says police responded to the call of retail fraud at7:09
p.m. and could not locate the shoplifter.

The thief was described as a thin white male, 5-foot-10, in his mid-20s,
wearing a black jacket, tan pants and carrying a backpack.

The report says store employees were suspicious when the man walked into the
store and they watched as he filled up a basket and then took it into a
bathroom. When he came out, his basket was empty, but his backpack looked
full. Then he filled up a canvas store tote bag with
groceries, and walked out the door.

The manager and the other employee told police they caught up to the
shoplifter at the corner of Washtenaw and Huron Parkway. It says one of them
grabbed the tote bag away from the shoplifter, and the suspect walked away.
The bag contained $346 worth of food and other products.

Old 29-12-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:42:00 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:

"John Schultz says he lost his job at Whole Foods Market in Ann Arbor after
he tried to stop a shoplifter from making a getaway. But the company says he
went too far and violated a policy that prohibits employees from physically
touching a customer - even if that person is carrying a bag of stolen goods.

The employee does have a case for wrongful termination (depending
on the state). He was off the clock and off the premises when
the supposed violation occurred.

Maybe he has them on a technicality. A customer is a person who purchases
goods or services. The shoplifter was purchasing neither. He was stealing,
therefore a thief and not a customer.

This is also why most grocery companies outsource theft
prevention services and security. Liability.

I worked in a department store for a while when I was in high school. The
store had a small security crew who were notorious for busting kids, but
rarely caught adult shoplifters. They were such jerks that we never
bothered to tell them when we saw people stealing. However they did once
catch a good one.... the sleazy assistant manager. They caught him one
night loading up his car at the truck loading ramp.
Old 29-12-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:42:00 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:
"John Schultz says he lost his job at Whole Foods Market in Ann Arbor after
he tried to stop a shoplifter from making a getaway. But the company says he
went too far and violated a policy that prohibits employees from physically
touching a customer - even if that person is carrying a bag of stolen goods.

The employee does have a case for wrongful termination (depending
on the state). *He was off the clock and off the premises when
the supposed violation occurred.

Yep...does a company "own" their employees when they are off the clock
and off the property...???

This is also why most grocery companies outsource theft
prevention services and security. *Liability.

Banks too, IIRC...

--
Best
Greg

Old 29-12-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
Gregory Morrow wrote:

Schultz, 35, of Ypsilanti Township, had worked at the store for five
years, most recently as a fishmonger. He wants his job back.

"The fact that I worked at the store at (the time of the robbery) is
coincidental," he said. "If I had went over to the book store on my
break and they were being ripped off, I would have helped them."

/

Unfortunately the first thing you have to consider in operating a
business is not doing something that may allow John Edwards or one of
his friends to transfer huge wealth to themselves.

You can be assured that "Mr Thief" if identified will get dozens of
calls with offers to "help him" obtain large monetary compensation for
the terrible ordeal of someone trying to stop him.

I doubt it. No attorney in their right mind would expose themselves to the
ridicule of a dismisaal of the lawsuit from the bench.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 29-12-2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" wrote in message

[...]

When I worked for Walmart as a Customer Service Manager (mid level
management) I was told that we could physically 'observe' someone stuff
goods into a bag and walk out with it but could do nothing. Corporate
policy was that an "Assistant Manager" or higher had to see them steal
before they could be stopped. Find an assistant manager on the floor at any
time.....Good luck. So it got to a point that in the break room the
cashiers and the floor associates kept a tally of who saw how many people
steal. But come bonus time, there wasn't one because 'we allowed
shrink'.......go figure. Oh, and the biggest heist from the store I worked
at ....an Assistant Manager found the lapse in the security tape in the cash
room (7 minutes at midnight to reset all the registers in the store) and
made off with over $30k in small incriments during those lapses.
-ginny

Old 29-12-2007, 09:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...ker_fired_for_...

Grocery worker fired for stopping shoplifter

by Dave Gershman | The Ann Arbor News
Thursday December 27, 2007, 8:15 AM

.....snip

Schultz said he was called to the store's office the next day, on
Christmas Eve, and was fired because he violated a company policy
prohibiting employees from having any physical contact with a
customer.

Kate Klotz, a company spokesperson, said the policy is clear and
listed in a booklet that all employees have to acknowledge that they
received before they can start work.

"The fact that he touched him, period, is means for termination," said
Klotz.

Since when is a thief considered a 'customer'? Schultz was affecting the
apprehension of a criminal, he wasn't manhandling grandma selecting the best
bunch of bannanas in the fruit aisle.

Or manhandling grandDAUGHTER trying to choose among the various fair
trade chocolate bars in the candy aisle.

--
Davewww.davebbq.com

--Bryan
Old 29-12-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 12:40*pm, George wrote:
Gregory Morrow wrote:
Schultz, 35, of Ypsilanti Township, had worked at the store for five years,
most recently as a fishmonger. He wants his job back.

"The fact that I worked at the store at (the time of the robbery) is
coincidental," he said. "If I had went over to the book store on my break
and they were being ripped off, I would have helped them."

/

Unfortunately the first thing you have to consider in operating a
business is not doing something that may allow John Edwards or one of
his friends to transfer huge wealth to themselves.

Listen Mr. Shit-for-Brains, it is juries who award damages.

You can be assured that "Mr Thief" if identified will get dozens of
calls with offers to "help him" obtain large monetary compensation for
* the terrible ordeal of someone trying to stop him.

Do you think that a jury would award damages in a case like that?
Sure, there have been a very small percentage of cases where
exorbitant sums were paid to the undeserving. Most of those get
thrown out on appeal. More often, the rich and powerful shove it up
the rectums of average folks and get away with it.

I guess you're the kind of guy who worships the corporations like
they're gods.

--Bryan
Old 29-12-2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 1:45*pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
George wrote:
Gregory Morrow wrote:

Schultz, 35, of Ypsilanti Township, had worked at the store for five
years, most recently as a fishmonger. He wants his job back.

"The fact that I worked at the store at (the time of the robbery) is
coincidental," he said. "If I had went over to the book store on my
break and they were being ripped off, I would have helped them."

/

Unfortunately the first thing you have to consider in operating a
business is not doing something that may allow John Edwards or one of
his friends to transfer huge wealth to themselves.

You can be assured that "Mr Thief" if identified will get dozens of
calls with offers to "help him" obtain large monetary compensation for
*the terrible ordeal of someone trying to stop him.

I doubt it. No attorney in their right mind would expose themselves to the
ridicule of a dismisaal of the lawsuit from the bench.

Of corse not, but George is obviously a Right-wing ****wad trying to
make a bogus political point.

When I worked at a discount store in my 20s, I was buffing the floor
when store security walked by and told me to unplug my machine and
follow him. We went into the security office, he with a very scared
looking teenage male shoplifter. He told the guy to sit down, said
that he was going up front to meet the police, handed me a miniature
baseball bat and told me, "If he so much as moves, hit him as many
times as you feel like."

Since I was the housekeeping dept. manager, he knew that I knew that
if the guy got up and bolted, I could not do a single thing beyond
picking up the phone and making a PA announcement, but this terrified
kid didn't know that. I looked at the security guy and said, very
convincingly, in a very "make my day" way, "Yes, sir." The guy sat
perfectly still until the security guy got back with the cop.

The funny part is that he said, "...as many times as you feel like."
Not as you need to. For all the kid knew, I was being given
permission to brutalize him.

--
Davewww.davebbq.com

--Bryan

Old 30-12-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
George dropped this
: in rec.food.cooking

Unfortunately the first thing you have to consider in operating a
business is not doing something that may allow John Edwards or one of
his friends to transfer huge wealth to themselves.

You can be assured that "Mr Thief" if identified will get dozens of
calls with offers to "help him" obtain large monetary compensation for
the terrible ordeal of someone trying to stop him.

And exactly what point are you trying to make? If it's political you're
doing a **** poor job of it.

Michael

Not political. Edwards happens to come to mind as a lawyer who moved
large amounts of wealth (28,000 sf house etc) to himself by "helping"
people.

There is one in another town but you likely wouldn't recognize his name
(he has a 16,000 sf house with a 12 car drive through garage) but his
picture is on many buses, billboards and phone directories telling us he
is ready to "help"...

My point is that avoiding legal issues is a major part of any commercial
enterprise. I have been involved in some product liability suits as a
company representative and it is totaling amazing what litigation some
lawyers will bring.

Sometimes I visit a friend whose office is in the same building as a law
firm and one of the partners constantly tells me I should tell him about
things I see because they were almost the principle firm on a class
action and had the case stolen by another firm and can't wait to put
themselves on the map with a big suit.
Old 30-12-2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

When I worked for Walmart as a Customer Service Manager (mid level
management) I was told that we could physically 'observe' someone stuff
goods into a bag and walk out with it but could do nothing. Corporate
policy was that an "Assistant Manager" or higher had to see them steal
before they could be stopped. Find an assistant manager on the floor at any
time.....Good luck. So it got to a point that in the break room the
cashiers and the floor associates kept a tally of who saw how many people
steal. But come bonus time, there wasn't one because 'we allowed
shrink'.......go figure.

Big box stores know that with the deep pockets they have it is cheaper
to let someone walk away with $100 worth of stuff than to be involved
even in token litigation for say $12,000 which I understand is the
current amount your "council" can pretty much ask for and you will get a
part of simply to go away.

Old 30-12-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 13:40:54 -0500, George
wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Schultz, 35, of Ypsilanti Township, had worked at the store for five years,
most recently as a fishmonger. He wants his job back.

"The fact that I worked at the store at (the time of the robbery) is
coincidental," he said. "If I had went over to the book store on my break
and they were being ripped off, I would have helped them."

/

Unfortunately the first thing you have to consider in operating a
business is not doing something that may allow John Edwards or one of
his friends to transfer huge wealth to themselves.

You can be assured that "Mr Thief" if identified will get dozens of
calls with offers to "help him" obtain large monetary compensation for
the terrible ordeal of someone trying to stop him.

i would try to cut down on the glue-sniffing if i were you, george...

your pal,
blake
Old 30-12-2007, 03:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:45:21 -0800, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

George wrote:
Gregory Morrow wrote:

Schultz, 35, of Ypsilanti Township, had worked at the store for five
years, most recently as a fishmonger. He wants his job back.

"The fact that I worked at the store at (the time of the robbery) is
coincidental," he said. "If I had went over to the book store on my
break and they were being ripped off, I would have helped them."

/

Unfortunately the first thing you have to consider in operating a
business is not doing something that may allow John Edwards or one of
his friends to transfer huge wealth to themselves.

You can be assured that "Mr Thief" if identified will get dozens of
calls with offers to "help him" obtain large monetary compensation for
the terrible ordeal of someone trying to stop him.

I doubt it. No attorney in their right mind would expose themselves to the
ridicule of a dismisaal of the lawsuit from the bench.

don't you know that all us liberals have as our primary goal aiding
the downtrodden shoplifter? don't you listen to rush?

your pal,
blake
Old 30-12-2007, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 00:23:54 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
wrote:

George dropped this
: in rec.food.cooking

Unfortunately the first thing you have to consider in operating a
business is not doing something that may allow John Edwards or one of
his friends to transfer huge wealth to themselves.

You can be assured that "Mr Thief" if identified will get dozens of
calls with offers to "help him" obtain large monetary compensation for
the terrible ordeal of someone trying to stop him.

And exactly what point are you trying to make? If it's political you're
doing a **** poor job of it.

Michael

he made his point: thieves should lift themselves up by their own
bootstraps, like all good republicans.

your pal,
blake