Old 30-12-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whole Foods Worker Sacked For Stopping Shoplifter...

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:19:03 -0500, George
wrote:

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

When I worked for Walmart as a Customer Service Manager (mid level
management) I was told that we could physically 'observe' someone stuff
goods into a bag and walk out with it but could do nothing. Corporate
policy was that an "Assistant Manager" or higher had to see them steal
before they could be stopped. Find an assistant manager on the floor at any
time.....Good luck. So it got to a point that in the break room the
cashiers and the floor associates kept a tally of who saw how many people
steal. But come bonus time, there wasn't one because 'we allowed
shrink'.......go figure.

Big box stores know that with the deep pockets they have it is cheaper
to let someone walk away with $100 worth of stuff than to be involved
even in token litigation for say $12,000 which I understand is the
current amount your "council" can pretty much ask for and you will get a
part of simply to go away.

bullshit, george. how about a cite?

your pal,
blake

Old 30-12-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

[...]

It is an everyday thing that businesses do that isn't published for
obvious reasons. There is a cost to defend any suit or for that matter
investigate any claim. Since ultimately it comes down to how much
something will cost it makes sense for a deep pocketed business to
simply make a deal and pay a token amount to make it go away rather than
proceed with litigation.

There are lawyers that thrive on this kind of stuff. It isn't
multi-million dollar get your face on the front page deals but it is a
constant income. My cousins husband is a local lawyer (honest guy, just
makes an average income) who started out working for a firm that had
their partners pictures on the city buses telling everyone that they
would help them. He said there was a constant parade of people who knew
the possibilities coming to the firm and the junior staff would get
those cases. He said it is common knowledge in those circles how much
can be demanded.

My buddies wife is a paralegal and actually works for the same firm my
cousins husband worked for (we all bust her about getting an honest
job). She doesn't name names but always has lots of stories about these
types of cases that they handle.

Same thing with insurance companies. There is a certain threshold where
they don't even look at a claim because the cost of an investigator is
more than the claim.

As Virginia said the big box stores know all of this and that it is a no
win situation to even try and stop or pursue people because of possible
litigation because of their deep pockets so they choose to write it off
as shrinkage. I am friendly with the police chief of a nearby town where
most of the local big box stores are located. I was in his office a few
months back and he showed me a DVD of a shoplifter and we got into a
discussion about how they handle it. He said a mom & pop shop might do
something on their own (which I think is right) and detain the person
but the big box places simply call the police after the fact and bring
them into the room where the DVRs are located, show them what happened
and burn them a copy.
Old 30-12-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

[...]

This is absolutely true. When I had one of my major surgeries, the bill from
the hospital was more than $60,000. The insurance company sent a little note
that any overcharges we identified and reported to the insurance company was
worth a reward. I don't remember how much. But it certainly saves them from
hiring auditors. The patient audits the bill for free on their time, if a
mistake is found they get a small compensation. Very cost saving for the
insurance company.

Cindi

Old 31-12-2007, 12:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message

Moist shoplifting cases are pretty cut and dried. You're also
setting an example to prevent them, and others, from ripping of
the store day after day after day.

-sw

Are they moist or dried? Make up your mind.

Mitch

Old 31-12-2007, 06:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
George wrote:

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

[...]

Its a matter of risk and insurance. If that man who stopped the thief
was injured, who do you think he would sue? Yup, Whole Foods. I used to
work in a tiny convenience store. The entire store was a fraction of the
size of a Whole Foods store. Management there had the same policy. I was
robbed there once and I followed policy not to resist in any way. As a
result, I am alive and the thief made off with only around $30 because I
also followed management's policy of stuffing excess cash in the till
into the safe every chance I got.

Old 31-12-2007, 05:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

[...]

sorry, george. your cousin's husband's 'buddies' wife doesn't count
as a cite except on alt.rightwing.kook.

i'm not saying that some retailers aren't lax about corralling
shoplifters, but it's more concern for employee safety - they don't
want them conked on the head or worse (and possible lawsuits arising
from that) - not from fear of suits by thieves from the vicious
'council' they all have on retainer.

you also seem to be seriously deluded about the number of people who
win their suits against large corporations. hint: it ain't many.

your pal,
blake
Old 31-12-2007, 07:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

[...]

I didn't claim it was a citation. Just because you don't have direct
experience with something I know doesn't make me a kook.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Your pal,

George
Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...for_stopp.html

Grocery worker fired for stopping shoplifter

by Dave Gershman | The Ann Arbor News
Thursday December 27, 2007, 8:15 AM

BY DAVE GERSHMAN
The Ann Arbor News

"John Schultz says he lost his job at Whole Foods Market in Ann Arbor after
he tried to stop a shoplifter from making a getaway. But the company says he
went too far and violated a policy that prohibits employees from physically
touching a customer - even if that person is carrying a bag of stolen goods.

I guess that means it's OK to steal stuff from Whole Paycheck as long as
you can outrun the manager....

They must just jack up the prices for those who pay in order to make up
for the theft.

gloria p