Old 30-12-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

On Sat 29 Dec 2007 08:58:59p, Arri London told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sat 29 Dec 2007 08:30:18a, Arri London told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Fri 28 Dec 2007 08:43:33a, Arri London told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Wed 26 Dec 2007 06:40:06p, Arri London told us...

Wayne Boatwright

Two completely different flavours for me. One wouldn't be a
substitute for the other.

I think it depends on what the use is. I agree that the flavors

are
different, but also think there's enough similarity that subbing
wouldn't be a disaster in some dishes.

--
Wayne Boatwright

True enough. We always have both in the house so subbing is never

an
issue. Rather like subbing anise seeds for fennel seeds; lots of
people do that but the two tastes are totally different to me.

Yep, you're right, and I usually have all of those in the house.

There
have been a few times when I've run out of something and didn't know
it. Subbing was the only alternative. Now, if I were making
Springerle, I would definitely NOT substitute fennel seed for anise
seed. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

That would be heresy indeed! *sigh* I miss the anise-flavoured cubes
used in the Netherlands to put into hot milk. The seeds work but the
taste just isn't quite the same.

Ari, you have lived in many different places. I've always been curious
about where you were from originally.

LOL What and give away my secrets??? Oh OK....originally from
Maastricht, Limburg, the Netherlands. And no I can't stand Limburger
cheese. When my mother gets some I try to leave the house LOL.

Thanks, Ari. Oddly, for some reason I thought you might be from the
Netherlands. Don't really know why. Perhaps it was something you said at
some point that I had stored away in my head. OTOH, David and I both love
Limburger cheese, although we don't have it often. I just bought some, as
we always do have some on New Year's Eve, regardless what else we have. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 12(XII)/29(XXIX)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
2dys 3hrs
I've seen the future and I leave it
all behind

Old 30-12-2007, 06:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Arri London
wrote:

Miche wrote:

In article , Arri London
wrote:

That would be heresy indeed! *sigh* I miss the anise-flavoured cubes
used in the Netherlands to put into hot milk. The seeds work but the
taste just isn't quite the same.

Anijsmelk? I can get the cubes here; let me know if you want some.

LOL TY! That's OK and very nice of you. My relatives in NL can send them
to me in less time. How do you come to know about anijsmelk? Do you get
'muisjes' as well?

There's a sizeable Dutch and Dutch-descended population in NZ (about 1%
of our population was born in the Netherlands or descended from a Dutch
person who immigrated, including two of my cousins), and some Dutch
specialties are available here as a result.

Yes we can get muisjes, speculaasjes, drop (I don't like the dubbel-zout
or salmiak) and other things as well. I grew up on beschuit!

Miche (who must admit that she doesn't care for anijsmelk)

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Old 31-12-2007, 06:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking