Old 25-12-2007, 11:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
3.184...
I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed and
mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Anybody?

I don't think I've ever used mace, but I don't like the flavor of nutmeg
very much. I hadn't really noticed before until my dad brought home this
apple pie from work. It was from a Christmas buffet. He said the woman
made a ton of them and nobody was eating them. Apparently she had an
accident with the nutmeg when adding it to the filling. Why she didn't try
to take some of it out was beyond me. The filling was a dark brown and I
recall it making my tongue go numb. Now if I have a recipe that calls for
it, I can only put a pinch of it in. Any more than that is overkill to me.

Old 25-12-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 03:15:34p, meant to say...

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:39:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

I can't stand nutmeg, even in tiny amounts. Mace is fine.

Interesting... Nutmeg contains an oil that I don't believe is in mace.
Mace is generally thought to be a stronger, sharper flavor. Can you
determine what makes the difference to you?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 23rd,2007

Today is: Fourth Sunday of Advent
Countdown 'til Christmas
15hrs 57mins 34secs
I made it foolproof. They are making
better fools!
Old 25-12-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 03:25:14p, Julie Bove meant to say...

[...]

Oh, that would be extreme. Some spices are quite powerful in large
amounts. I recall getting a serious burn in my mouth when a school nurse
swabbed it heavily with oil of clove. I can only cloves in very tiny
amounts now.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 23rd,2007

Old 26-12-2007, 08:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

I can't stand nutmeg, even in tiny amounts. Mace is fine.

Interesting... Nutmeg contains an oil that I don't believe is in mace.
Mace is generally thought to be a stronger, sharper flavor. Can you
determine what makes the difference to you?

I don't know. I just know I can't stand even a hint of nutmeg, but
mace is fine as is allspice.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smil