Old 25-12-2007, 10:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutmeg vs. Mace

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
3.184...
I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed and
mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Anybody?

I don't think I've ever used mace, but I don't like the flavor of nutmeg
very much. I hadn't really noticed before until my dad brought home this
apple pie from work. It was from a Christmas buffet. He said the woman
made a ton of them and nobody was eating them. Apparently she had an
accident with the nutmeg when adding it to the filling. Why she didn't try
to take some of it out was beyond me. The filling was a dark brown and I
recall it making my tongue go numb. Now if I have a recipe that calls for
it, I can only put a pinch of it in. Any more than that is overkill to me.

Old 25-12-2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 03:15:34p, meant to say...

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:39:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

I can't stand nutmeg, even in tiny amounts. Mace is fine.

Interesting... Nutmeg contains an oil that I don't believe is in mace.
Mace is generally thought to be a stronger, sharper flavor. Can you
determine what makes the difference to you?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 23rd,2007

Today is: Fourth Sunday of Advent
Countdown 'til Christmas
15hrs 57mins 34secs
I made it foolproof. They are making
better fools!
Old 25-12-2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 03:25:14p, Julie Bove meant to say...

[...]

Oh, that would be extreme. Some spices are quite powerful in large
amounts. I recall getting a serious burn in my mouth when a school nurse
swabbed it heavily with oil of clove. I can only cloves in very tiny
amounts now.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 23rd,2007

Old 26-12-2007, 07:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

I can't stand nutmeg, even in tiny amounts. Mace is fine.

Interesting... Nutmeg contains an oil that I don't believe is in mace.
Mace is generally thought to be a stronger, sharper flavor. Can you
determine what makes the difference to you?

I don't know. I just know I can't stand even a hint of nutmeg, but
mace is fine as is allspice.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Old 26-12-2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 07:49:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

Years ago I used to love tarragon. Today I
can barely stand the smell or taste of it.

That means no bernaise sauce for you! I love tarragon, but my use
of it has always been in moderation.... thyme and garlic are a
different story though (much more versatile IMO).

Old 26-12-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 26 Dec 2007 09:13:32a, meant to say...

wrote:

Years ago I used to love tarragon. Today I can barely stand the smell
or taste of it.

That means no bernaise sauce for you! I love tarragon, but my use
of it has always been in moderation.... thyme and garlic are a
different story though (much more versatile IMO).

Agreed, and I use thyme and garlic a lot. I could barely manage to cook an
entire meal with some garlic in something. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Old 26-12-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright schrieb :
Oh pshaw, on Tue 25 Dec 2007 02:58:57p, Michael Kuettner meant to say...

Wayne Boatwright schrieb :
I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed

and
mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Anybody?

Nutmeg is the nut; mace is the blossom.
It's no surprise that they taste vastly different.

I already stated that. I wondered what other people felt about the
didfference in flavor, not just that fact that it's different.

There's a saying (to which I also subscribe) :
"You can always replace nutmeg with mace, but never mace with nutmeg."
Sums it up rather well, I think.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Old 26-12-2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
3.184...
I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed and
mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Anybody?

--
Wayne Boatwright

I always think of mace as being lighter and sweeter.

.... to me it also has a hint of citrus.
Old 26-12-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 26 Dec 2007 10:56:22a, Michael Kuettner meant to say...

Wayne Boatwright schrieb :
[...]

I think I would generally agree with that; however, I ran out of nutmeg
last night and sprinkled mace on my eggnog. In that case it tasted fine.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 12(XII)/26(XXVI)/07(MMVII)
Today is: Boxing Day (U.K.)
Mothers are the necessity of invention
-- Calvin

Old 26-12-2007, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright schrieb :
[...]

Err, why "however" ? You've just proven that the rule above is true.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Old 26-12-2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 26 Dec 2007 01:19:39p, Michael Kuettner told us...

Wayne Boatwright schrieb :
[...]

We,, yes, you're quite right. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 12(XII)/26(XXVI)/07(MMVII)
Today is: Boxing Day (U.K.)
Never try to out stubborn a cat.

Old 26-12-2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Mace will nutmeg you sick...
ducking and running :-)

Terry
Old 27-12-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed and
mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Anybody?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Two completely different flavours for me. One wouldn't be a substitute
for the other.
Old 27-12-2007, 02:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 26 Dec 2007 04:48:57p, Terry told us...

wrote:

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Mace will nutmeg you sick...
ducking and running :-)

Terry

LOL! Too clever!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 12(XII)/26(XXVI)/07(MMVII)
Today is: Boxing Day (U.K.)
Countdown till New Years
5dys 4hrs 30mins
'Eyes...failing...Chicken soup..only
chance for survival..' -The Tick
Old 27-12-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 26 Dec 2007 06:40:06p, Arri London told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I know the physical difference between the two, that nutmeg is the seed
and mace is the lacy covering surrounding it. I use both in recipes as
specified, and I have subbed one for the other when I had run out.

What I'm interested in is your personal perception of the difference in
flavor. The main difference I perceive is that mace has a somewhat
stronger flavor and is, of course, lighter in color.

Anybody?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Two completely different flavours for me. One wouldn't be a substitute
for the other.

I think it depends on what the use is. I agree that the flavors are
different, but also think there's enough similarity that subbing wouldn't
be a disaster in some dishes.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 12(XII)/26(XXVI)/07(MMVII)
Today is: Boxing Day (U.K.)
Countdown till New Years
5dys 4hrs 30mins
'Eyes...failing...Chicken soup..only
chance for survival..' -The Tick

Chocolate & nutmeg??? Sky General Cooking 1 25-12-2010 01:41 AM
Nutmeg recall Virginia Tadrzynski[_2_] General Cooking 9 03-12-2010 02:25 AM
Mace PENMART01 General Cooking 1 14-10-2004 07:36 PM
Whole Mace or Ground Mace?? Help! Matthew Givens General Cooking 12 27-09-2004 08:09 PM
nutmeg? Kevin and Katie General Cooking 3 30-09-2003 07:22 PM