Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default In Search of the Best Chicken Dish

I am in a contest to make the best bird. We can use any type of
fowl. I've been toying with using ostrich, duck, or chicken. The
problem is that I've never made ostrich or duck nor have I tasted
either, so I am thinking of focusing on chicken.

I am in search of the best chicken dish ever. I also need a
complimenting side dish. I would like it to be impressive in taste,
presentation, and complexity. Please let me know your ideas. If you
can post links with pictures that would be excellent!

Thank you all in advance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cookie1973 wrote:

> I am in a contest to make the best bird. We can use any type of
> fowl. I've been toying with using ostrich, duck, or chicken. The
> problem is that I've never made ostrich or duck nor have I tasted
> either, so I am thinking of focusing on chicken.
>
> I am in search of the best chicken dish ever. I also need a
> complimenting side dish. I would like it to be impressive in taste,
> presentation, and complexity. Please let me know your ideas. If you
> can post links with pictures that would be excellent!
>
> Thank you all in advance.

Poularde a la Louis d'Orleans
-----------------------------

Stud a whole foie gras with truffle and cook it in a little good veal
stock with 1/2 cup old Madeira for 15 minutes; allow to cool then place
it inside a fattened pullet and truss it.

Place the chicken to set and colour with butter in a hot oven for 20
minutes, basting occasionally.

On removing from the oven, cover the bird completely with thick slices
of truffle, then with thin slices of salt pour fat and finally enclose
it in hot water paste. seal the edges well, place on a baking tray and
make a hole in the top to allow the steam to escape. Cook in a moderate
oven for 1 & 1/2 hours.

Serve either hot or cold.

As an hot entree serve with petit pois or fonds d'artichauts aux pontes
d'asperges and a well chilled Rieseling.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 18, 8:06 am, Cookie1973 > wrote:
> I am in a contest to make the best bird. [snip]
>
> I am in search of the best chicken dish ever. I also need a
> complimenting side dish. I would like it to be impressive in taste,
> presentation, and complexity. [snip]

"the best ever" is silly, of course, but a contest is a
contest.....Here's a dish I posted in 1999 that you can make with
chicken or duck that is utterly delicious. Maybe if you try it with
chicken you will be ready to do it with duck. (You are going to
practice/do some trial runs for the contest, right?) If so, googling
for "tea smoked duck" should give you an idea of where this recipe may
have been simplified. (Seems to me I recall a process for duck of
steaming, smoking and then deep frying.) For presentation, chop the
entire bird into large bite-sized pieces, then reassemble on a platter
to look like the original bird. May be served hot or cold, which
might be an advantage in a contest. For a complementary side dish,
whole small Shanghai bok choy arranged decoratively on a platter with
shiitake mushrooms (dried, rehydrated, cooked) and served with oyster
sauce. -aem

Recipe is from "Madame Wong's Long -
Life Chinese Cookbook" (1977), with [comments] added.

Tea Smoked Chicken

1 3 lb. fryer (the best you can find; don't spurn one that's "organic
free range")
2 tsp. salt
juice from 1 slice ginger, use garlic press [or just use the
slice]
1 TB sherry
1 stalk scallion

Rub chicken with salt inside and out. (Do not omit this step).
Pour ginger juice inside (or put in several slices fresh ginger),
add sherry and scallion. Place chicken in bowl on rack in pot or
steamer. Cover, steam over boiling water 35 minutes. [larger
chicken probably takes longer] Cool.

Rub chicken all over with 1 TB light soy sauce.

Line the inside of a wok and the cover with aluminum foil. Put
2 TB black tea
2 TB brown sugar
2 TB uncooked long grain rice
on the foil. Place a greased rack in wok, and chicken on rack.
Bring to high heat. Cover wok [very] tightly and smoke the
chicken for 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes. [Watch the
smoke alarm!] Brown both sides evenly. Smoke 5 minutes more.

Remove chicken. Brush with 1 TB sesame oil. Cut into bite-sized
serving pieces. Serve hot or cold. [Hot as a main course, cold
as an appetizer with a multi-course dinner]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Dec 18, 8:06 am, Cookie1973 > wrote:
>> I am in a contest to make the best bird. [snip]
>>
>> I am in search of the best chicken dish ever. I also need a
>> complimenting side dish. I would like it to be impressive in taste,
>> presentation, and complexity. [snip]

> "the best ever" is silly, of course, but a contest is a
> contest.....Here's a dish I posted in 1999 that you can make with
> chicken or duck that is utterly delicious. Maybe if you try it with
> chicken you will be ready to do it with duck. (You are going to
> practice/do some trial runs for the contest, right?) If so, googling
> for "tea smoked duck" should give you an idea of where this recipe may
> have been simplified. (Seems to me I recall a process for duck of
> steaming, smoking and then deep frying.) For presentation, chop the
> entire bird into large bite-sized pieces, then reassemble on a platter
> to look like the original bird. May be served hot or cold, which
> might be an advantage in a contest. For a complementary side dish,
> whole small Shanghai bok choy arranged decoratively on a platter with
> shiitake mushrooms (dried, rehydrated, cooked) and served with oyster
> sauce. -aem
>
> Recipe is from "Madame Wong's Long -
> Life Chinese Cookbook" (1977), with [comments] added.
>
> Tea Smoked Chicken
>
> 1 3 lb. fryer (the best you can find; don't spurn one that's "organic
> free range")
> 2 tsp. salt
> juice from 1 slice ginger, use garlic press [or just use the
> slice]
> 1 TB sherry
> 1 stalk scallion
>
> Rub chicken with salt inside and out. (Do not omit this step).
> Pour ginger juice inside (or put in several slices fresh ginger),
> add sherry and scallion. Place chicken in bowl on rack in pot or
> steamer. Cover, steam over boiling water 35 minutes. [larger
> chicken probably takes longer] Cool.
>
> Rub chicken all over with 1 TB light soy sauce.
>
> Line the inside of a wok and the cover with aluminum foil. Put
> 2 TB black tea
> 2 TB brown sugar
> 2 TB uncooked long grain rice
> on the foil. Place a greased rack in wok, and chicken on rack.
> Bring to high heat. Cover wok [very] tightly and smoke the
> chicken for 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes. [Watch the
> smoke alarm!] Brown both sides evenly. Smoke 5 minutes more.
>
> Remove chicken. Brush with 1 TB sesame oil. Cut into bite-sized
> serving pieces. Serve hot or cold. [Hot as a main course, cold
> as an appetizer with a multi-course dinner]

Couldn't snip anything. Sounds fabulous and I can actually get every
ingredient here.

--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 12:02 pm, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> Stud a whole foie gras with truffle and cook it in a little good veal
> stock with 1/2 cup old Madeira for 15 minutes; allow to cool then place
> it inside a fattened pullet and truss it.

Foie gras? Veal? Do you get off on abusing humans too?

> --
> JL

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo(R) wrote:
> On Dec 18, 12:02 pm, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>

>>Stud a whole foie gras with truffle and cook it in a little good veal
>>stock with 1/2 cup old Madeira for 15 minutes; allow to cool then place
>>it inside a fattened pullet and truss it.

> Foie gras? Veal? Do you get off on abusing humans too?

Eh? even you would probly taste good braised in veal stock. Try making
soup with veal stock and then get back to me.
--
JL
>>--
>>JL

> --Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 4:51 pm, "Bobo Bonobo(R)" > wrote:
> On Dec 18, 12:02 pm, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>

> > Stud a whole foie gras with truffle and cook it in a little good veal
> > stock with 1/2 cup old Madeira for 15 minutes; allow to cool then place
> > it inside a fattened pullet and truss it.

> Foie gras? Veal? Do you get off on abusing humans too?

Veal, mmmm.

Cows and geese aren't humans.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Dec 18, 4:51 pm, "Bobo Bonobo(R)" > wrote:
>
>>On Dec 18, 12:02 pm, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>>

>>>Stud a whole foie gras with truffle and cook it in a little good veal
>>>stock with 1/2 cup old Madeira for 15 minutes; allow to cool then place
>>>it inside a fattened pullet and truss it.

>>Foie gras? Veal? Do you get off on abusing humans too?

> Veal, mmmm.
>
> Cows and geese aren't humans.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Given the tone of "Bobo's" other posts, notably its "contribution" to
the tuna casserole thread i think Bobo was hoping i would answer "yes"
to abusing humans and follow that admission up with an invitation to
demonstrate my technique (checking the whips and leather restraints
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:36:14 -0800, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>>Foie gras? Veal? Do you get off on abusing humans too?

>> Veal, mmmm.
>>
>> Cows and geese aren't humans.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>Given the tone of "Bobo's" other posts, notably its "contribution" to
>the tuna casserole thread i think Bobo was hoping i would answer "yes"
>to abusing humans and follow that admission up with an invitation to
>demonstrate my technique (checking the whips and leather restraints

He is an opinionated jerk most of the time. I had him killfiled in
his last persona and I ask myself almost daily why I don't do it
again. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.... or maybe my criteria is
daily.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first