Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default joy of cooking 1962

The recipe in my 1962 edition of The Joy of Cooking for gingerbread
men on page 677 is worn out. I cant read the number of cups of flour
needed. I would be grateful it anyone has this old copy and would
tell me about the flour. This is a great recipe. It has no eggs and
the gingerbread just gets better and better as it ages. Thanks very
much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Dec 2007 08:45:14p, honeybunch meant to say...

> The recipe in my 1962 edition of The Joy of Cooking for gingerbread
> men on page 677 is worn out. I cant read the number of cups of flour
> needed. I would be grateful it anyone has this old copy and would
> tell me about the flour. This is a great recipe. It has no eggs and
> the gingerbread just gets better and better as it ages. Thanks very
> much.

Sorry, thought I had it, but mine is 1964.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 13,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 2dys 5hrs 45mins 41secs
Did you really expect mere proof to
sway my opinion? HA!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

honeybunch wrote on Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:45:14 -0800 (PST):

h> The recipe in my 1962 edition of The Joy of Cooking for
h> gingerbread men on page 677 is worn out. I cant read the
h> number of cups of flour needed. I would be grateful it
h> anyone has this old copy and would tell me about the flour.
h> This is a great recipe. It has no eggs and the gingerbread
h> just gets better and better as it ages. Thanks very much.

I think the same eggless recipe may be on page 662 of the 1963
edition. Anyway, it's

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water

I'm giving the ingredient list so that you can check if it might
be the same recipe. If you want, I can give more details of the
rather long recipe.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

On Dec 15, 8:20 pm, "James Silverton replied to honeybunch:

> I think the same eggless recipe may be on page 662 of the 1963
> edition. Anyway, it's
>
> 1/4 cup butter
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
> 1 tsp soda
> 1/4 tsp cloves
> 1/2 tsp cinnamon
> 1 tsp ginger
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/4 cup water
>
> I'm giving the ingredient list so that you can check if it might
> be the same recipe. If you want, I can give more details of the
> rather long recipe.

The recipe in the 1975 edition - Page 712 - is similar. What is
different is you have a choice of white or brown sugar and you beat in
1/2 c. dark molasses. Not sure how all the rest of the instructions
compare to the 1962 ed., but that is the ingredient list.

Coincidentally, I am waiting for delivery of a copy (in very good to
excellent shape I am told) of the 1962 ed. of JOC. It is a gift for
someone that lost his in a house fire. If I can get it to him by
Christmas, that would be sweet .... It's a surprise.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 03:47:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Dec 2007 08:45:14p, honeybunch meant to say...
> >
> >> The recipe in my 1962 edition of The Joy of Cooking for gingerbread
> >> men on page 677 is worn out. I cant read the number of cups of flour
> >> needed. I would be grateful it anyone has this old copy and would
> >> tell me about the flour. This is a great recipe. It has no eggs and
> >> the gingerbread just gets better and better as it ages. Thanks very
> >> much.
> >>

> > Sorry, thought I had it, but mine is 1964.

> Same at the 62 edition, just has some corrections.
> http://www.cookbkjj.com/college/joy.htm
>
> Correction to my last post. Mine is the '51-'53 edition. But I
> would suspect it's the same.
>
> -swsw

Are you playing "My JOC is older than your JOC?" ;-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 11:20 pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> honeybunch wrote on Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:45:14 -0800 (PST):
>
> h> The recipe in my 1962 edition of The Joy of Cooking for
> h> gingerbread men on page 677 is worn out. I cant read the
> h> number of cups of flour needed. I would be grateful it
> h> anyone has this old copy and would tell me about the flour.
> h> This is a great recipe. It has no eggs and the gingerbread
> h> just gets better and better as it ages. Thanks very much.
>
> I think the same eggless recipe may be on page 662 of the 1963
> edition. Anyway, it's
>
> 1/4 cup butter
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
> 1 tsp soda
> 1/4 tsp cloves
> 1/2 tsp cinnamon
> 1 tsp ginger
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/4 cup water
>
> I'm giving the ingredient list so that you can check if it might
> be the same recipe. If you want, I can give more details of the
> rather long recipe.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Thank all you kind people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote on Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:11:49 -0800 (PST):

??>> I think the same eggless recipe may be on page 662 of the
??>> 1963 edition. Anyway, it's
??>>
??>> 1/4 cup butter
??>> 1/2 cup sugar
??>> 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
??>> 1 tsp soda
??>> 1/4 tsp cloves
??>> 1/2 tsp cinnamon
??>> 1 tsp ginger
??>> 1/2 tsp salt
??>> 1/4 cup water
??>>
??>> I'm giving the ingredient list so that you can check if it
??>> might be the same recipe. If you want, I can give more
??>> details of the rather long recipe.

L> The recipe in the 1975 edition - Page 712 - is similar. What
L> is different is you have a choice of white or brown sugar
L> and you beat in 1/2 c. dark molasses. Not sure how all the
L> rest of the instructions compare to the 1962 ed., but that
L> is the ingredient list.

Thanks for adding that! My recipe has molasses too and the
choice of white and brown sugar. I missed those while typing in
the ingredients. I am not the world's greatest transcriber :-)
Now you know why I did not type the whole long recipe but I
think the ingredients I did give tend to establish that the
recipes are the same and it was only the amount of flour that
was wanted.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

TN: Asst. wines 1962-2014 on Memorial Day weekend DaleW Wine 1 26-05-2015 09:11 PM
1962 Chateau Suduiraut Kent[_5_] Wine 0 01-01-2012 02:37 AM
NEWS: Man looks for gift fruitcake from 1962 - and finds it Rusty General Cooking 1 20-04-2006 02:10 AM
Pico de Gallo (1962) Barry Popik Historic 0 12-11-2004 03:26 AM
TN Ducru-Beaucaillou 1962. Cwdjrx _ Wine 0 12-10-2003 11:43 PM