Old 16-12-2007, 04:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default joy of cooking 1962

The recipe in my 1962 edition of The Joy of Cooking for gingerbread
men on page 677 is worn out. I cant read the number of cups of flour
needed. I would be grateful it anyone has this old copy and would
tell me about the flour. This is a great recipe. It has no eggs and
the gingerbread just gets better and better as it ages. Thanks very
much.

Old 16-12-2007, 04:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Dec 2007 08:45:14p, honeybunch meant to say...

The recipe in my 1962 edition of The Joy of Cooking for gingerbread
men on page 677 is worn out. I cant read the number of cups of flour
needed. I would be grateful it anyone has this old copy and would
tell me about the flour. This is a great recipe. It has no eggs and
the gingerbread just gets better and better as it ages. Thanks very
much.

Sorry, thought I had it, but mine is 1964.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 13,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 2dys 5hrs 45mins 41secs
Did you really expect mere proof to
sway my opinion? HA!
Old 16-12-2007, 05:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

honeybunch wrote on Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:45:14 -0800 (PST):

h The recipe in my 1962 edition of The Joy of Cooking for
h gingerbread men on page 677 is worn out. I cant read the
h number of cups of flour needed. I would be grateful it
h anyone has this old copy and would tell me about the flour.
h This is a great recipe. It has no eggs and the gingerbread
h just gets better and better as it ages. Thanks very much.

I think the same eggless recipe may be on page 662 of the 1963
edition. Anyway, it's

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water

I'm giving the ingredient list so that you can check if it might
be the same recipe. If you want, I can give more details of the
rather long recipe.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 16-12-2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

On Dec 15, 8:20 pm, "James Silverton replied to honeybunch:

I think the same eggless recipe may be on page 662 of the 1963
edition. Anyway, it's

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water

I'm giving the ingredient list so that you can check if it might
be the same recipe. If you want, I can give more details of the
rather long recipe.

The recipe in the 1975 edition - Page 712 - is similar. What is
different is you have a choice of white or brown sugar and you beat in
1/2 c. dark molasses. Not sure how all the rest of the instructions
compare to the 1962 ed., but that is the ingredient list.

Coincidentally, I am waiting for delivery of a copy (in very good to
excellent shape I am told) of the 1962 ed. of JOC. It is a gift for
someone that lost his in a house fire. If I can get it to him by
Christmas, that would be sweet .... It's a surprise.

--Lin
Old 16-12-2007, 01:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 03:47:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Dec 2007 08:45:14p, honeybunch meant to say...

The recipe in my 1962 edition of The Joy of Cooking for gingerbread
men on page 677 is worn out. I cant read the number of cups of flour
needed. I would be grateful it anyone has this old copy and would
tell me about the flour. This is a great recipe. It has no eggs and
the gingerbread just gets better and better as it ages. Thanks very
much.

Sorry, thought I had it, but mine is 1964.

Same at the 62 edition, just has some corrections.
http://www.cookbkjj.com/college/joy.htm

Correction to my last post. Mine is the '51-'53 edition. But I
would suspect it's the same.

-swsw

Are you playing "My JOC is older than your JOC?" ;-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to

Old 16-12-2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 11:20 pm, "James Silverton"
wrote:
[...]

Thank all you kind people.
Old 16-12-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote on Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:11:49 -0800 (PST):

?? I think the same eggless recipe may be on page 662 of the
?? 1963 edition. Anyway, it's
??
?? 1/4 cup butter
?? 1/2 cup sugar
?? 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
?? 1 tsp soda
?? 1/4 tsp cloves
?? 1/2 tsp cinnamon
?? 1 tsp ginger
?? 1/2 tsp salt
?? 1/4 cup water
??
?? I'm giving the ingredient list so that you can check if it
?? might be the same recipe. If you want, I can give more
?? details of the rather long recipe.

L The recipe in the 1975 edition - Page 712 - is similar. What
L is different is you have a choice of white or brown sugar
L and you beat in 1/2 c. dark molasses. Not sure how all the
L rest of the instructions compare to the 1962 ed., but that
L is the ingredient list.

Thanks for adding that! My recipe has molasses too and the
choice of white and brown sugar. I missed those while typing in
the ingredients. I am not the world's greatest transcriber :-)
Now you know why I did not type the whole long recipe but I
think the ingredients I did give tend to establish that the
recipes are the same and it was only the amount of flour that
was wanted.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

TN: Asst. wines 1962-2014 on Memorial Day weekend DaleW Wine 1 26-05-2015 09:11 PM
1962 Chateau Suduiraut Kent[_5_] Wine 0 01-01-2012 02:37 AM
NEWS: Man looks for gift fruitcake from 1962 - and finds it Rusty General Cooking 1 20-04-2006 02:10 AM
Pico de Gallo (1962) Barry Popik Historic 0 12-11-2004 03:26 AM
TN Ducru-Beaucaillou 1962. Cwdjrx _ Wine 0 12-10-2003 11:43 PM