FoodBanter.com

-   -   Goose grease for making tamales? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/143072-goose-grease-making-tamales.html)

zxcvbob 14-12-2007 08:41 PM

Goose grease for making tamales?

I have several quarts of goose fat in the freezer. How well would it
work for making tamale masa dough? I don't have a source of good lard,
just supermarket processed lard.

Bob

Steve Pope 14-12-2007 08:48 PM

zxcvbob > wrote:

> I have several quarts of goose fat in the freezer. How well
> would it work for making tamale masa dough? I don't have a
> source of good lard, just supermarket processed lard.

I've never done what you suggest, but if I were to hazard
a guess I would say the tamales will be tasty, denser /
not as fluffy as those with lard, and probably would not stay fresh
as long. Probably they will be very good. Get hold of some
duck leg meat and make duck tamales, I say.

Steve

Scott[_11_] 14-12-2007 08:54 PM

zxcvbob wrote:
> I have several quarts of goose fat in the freezer. How well would it
> work for making tamale masa dough? I don't have a source of good lard,
> just supermarket processed lard.
>
> Bob

You must had watch The Office last night

zxcvbob 14-12-2007 09:00 PM

Scott wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> I have several quarts of goose fat in the freezer. How well would it
>> work for making tamale masa dough? I don't have a source of good
>> lard, just supermarket processed lard.
>>
>> Bob

> You must had watch The Office last night

Actually, no. What was it about? Did Michael or Dwight do something
stupid again? (that kind of sums up every episode, doesn't it) ;-)

Bob

Giusi[_2_] 14-12-2007 09:48 PM

"zxcvbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I have several quarts of goose fat in the freezer. How well would it work
>for making tamale masa dough? I don't have a source of good lard, just
>supermarket processed lard.
>
> Bob

Do it. It's so delicious. I bet if you were a Mexican cook and you had
goosefat, you wouldn't even ask.--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Scott[_11_] 14-12-2007 09:59 PM

zxcvbob wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>> I have several quarts of goose fat in the freezer. How well would it
>>> work for making tamale masa dough? I don't have a source of good
>>> lard, just supermarket processed lard.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> You must had watch The Office last night

> Actually, no. What was it about? Did Michael or Dwight do something
> stupid again? (that kind of sums up every episode, doesn't it) ;-)
>
> Bob

Dwight brought in a dead goose and made a comment about using the goose fat.

Bobo Bonobo(R) 14-12-2007 11:52 PM

On Dec 14, 2:52 pm, jay > wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:41:32 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
> > I have several quarts of goose fat in the freezer. How well would it
> > work for making tamale masa dough? I don't have a source of good lard,
> > just supermarket processed lard.

> > Bob

> Does it smell? Seriously.. I'd substitute the processed heart attack for
> the goose grease. I wouldn't want flavored fat in the dough.

The hydrogenated supermarket lard IS "heart attack."
I don't know how the goose fat would be for that use, but lard can be
pretty easy to come by. You just render it yourself.

> jay

--Bryan

Arri London 15-12-2007 02:25 AM

zxcvbob wrote:

> I have several quarts of goose fat in the freezer. How well would it
> work for making tamale masa dough? I don't have a source of good lard,
> just supermarket processed lard.
>
> Bob

It's strongly flavoured but should work texturally. You can make your
own lard by rendering pork fat.

Paul M. Cook[_1_] 15-12-2007 03:24 AM

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "zxcvbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >I have several quarts of goose fat in the freezer. How well would it

work
> >for making tamale masa dough? I don't have a source of good lard, just
> >supermarket processed lard.
> >
> > Bob

> Do it. It's so delicious. I bet if you were a Mexican cook and you had
> goosefat, you wouldn't even ask.--
> http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Exactly, they cook with what they have. If they have lard, they use lard,
if they have chicken fat they use that. So tamales were and are cooked with
every form of fat there is because they never waste anything in peasant
cooking.

Paul