Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default how do you make applesauce

I have apples

now what?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
tert in seattle > wrote:

> I have apples
>
> now what?

Google!

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle > wrote in news:fjt6dp$hs0$2
@ftupet.ftupet.com:

Type "recipe applesauce" in the search box at www.google.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>I have apples
>
> now what?

Peel them. Core them. Cut them in chunks. Add a small amount of water and
some sugar if you want. Cinnamon if you want. Cook them down until thick,
stirring constantly. Add more water if you need to. You can leave as is,
or you can mash with a potato masher to make it smooth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Peel them. Core them. Cut them in chunks. Add a small amount of water and
> some sugar if you want. Cinnamon if you want. Cook them down until thick,
> stirring constantly. Add more water if you need to. You can leave as is,
> or you can mash with a potato masher to make it smooth.

I did that years ago. It was fun and the applesauce was amazing. It
does take a while. It helps if you have a kid to do the stirring. I
did the stirring and, at that age, thought it was fun. How much water
and sugar depends on the apples...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
>> Peel them. Core them. Cut them in chunks. Add a small amount of water
>> and
>> some sugar if you want. Cinnamon if you want. Cook them down until
>> thick,
>> stirring constantly. Add more water if you need to. You can leave as
>> is,
>> or you can mash with a potato masher to make it smooth.

> I did that years ago. It was fun and the applesauce was amazing. It
> does take a while. It helps if you have a kid to do the stirring. I
> did the stirring and, at that age, thought it was fun. How much water
> and sugar depends on the apples...

My daughter not only helped me make it, but can it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 14, 3:00 am, wrote:
> > Peel them. Core them. Cut them in chunks. Add a small amount of water and
> > some sugar if you want. Cinnamon if you want. Cook them down until thick,
> > stirring constantly. Add more water if you need to. You can leave as is,
> > or you can mash with a potato masher to make it smooth.

> I did that years ago. It was fun and the applesauce was amazing. It
> does take a while. It helps if you have a kid to do the stirring. I
> did the stirring and, at that age, thought it was fun. How much water
> and sugar depends on the apples...

Sounds more like apple butter. Applesauce is just apples, the water
from rinsing them, and heat. Run it through a foley mill or sieve to
remove seeds and skin if you wish.

maxine in ri, with a bag of windfall apples waiting for when I have
the time to pot them up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>I have apples
>
> now what?

The empty skull strikes again. Hire a private detective to help you find the
library. It may be disguised as a library, which makes it tricky to spot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
tert in seattle > wrote:

> I have apples
>
> now what?

Depends on how many you have and what you want to do with the sauce and
what type of sauce you want. You'll have better luck with apples
designated as good for cooking. Macintoshes will turn to sauce while
you look at them.

If you've "some" apples and you want to make applesauce to use within a
week or so, peel and core them and cook them until very tender, then
mash. Personally, I recommend cooking them in a 2-quart Pyrex measuring
pitcher in the microwave, covered, for about 5-10 minutes, stirring once
or twice to rearrange them. You won't need to add water and they won't
stick and burn because of not much liquid in the pan. If you want
thick sauce, drain off the resulting juice before pureeing (if you want
smooth sauce) or mashing (if you want chunky sauce). If you want
soupier sauce, leave the juice in when you puree or mash. Season to
taste -- cinnamon, sugar -- or don't. Eat it. Or refrigerate it for
up to a week.

If you want to do something else with it, let me know.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle > wrote in news:fjt6dp$hs0$2
@ftupet.ftupet.com:

> I have apples
>
> now what?

Mush them till you have sauce.

Orrrrrrrrr, if you had half a brain, you'd go to Google and type in

recipe apple sauce

whereupon you would have 177,000 recipes to choose from.

But you're just a troll, aren't you?

From: tert in seattle >
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:21:07 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: how do you make hummus

I have cooked some chick peas

now what?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Wars begin where you will...
but they do not end where you please.

Machiavelli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>In article >,
> tert in seattle > wrote:
>
>> I have apples
>>
>> now what?

>Depends on how many you have and what you want to do with the sauce and
>what type of sauce you want. You'll have better luck with apples
>designated as good for cooking. Macintoshes will turn to sauce while
>you look at them.
>
>If you've "some" apples and you want to make applesauce to use within a
>week or so, peel and core them and cook them until very tender, then
>mash. Personally, I recommend cooking them in a 2-quart Pyrex measuring
>pitcher in the microwave, covered, for about 5-10 minutes, stirring once
>or twice to rearrange them. You won't need to add water and they won't
>stick and burn because of not much liquid in the pan. If you want
>thick sauce, drain off the resulting juice before pureeing (if you want
>smooth sauce) or mashing (if you want chunky sauce). If you want
>soupier sauce, leave the juice in when you puree or mash. Season to
>taste -- cinnamon, sugar -- or don't. Eat it. Or refrigerate it for
>up to a week.
>
>If you want to do something else with it, let me know.

thanks Melba and thanks to all who replied, even the joke replies
that weren't actually funny -- you still brightened my day :-) :-) :-)

FYI here's my method: take 1 part Braeburns and 1 part Granny Smiths,
core, peel, and quarter, put in a saucepan with enough water to
cover them, simmer covered for an hour or so, stirring occasionally.
Maybe uncover or partially cover towards the end until the desired
thickness/flavor concentration has been achieved. No need to stir
constantly. I like it chunky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 14, 1:04 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "tert in seattle" > wrote in ...
>
> >I have apples

> > now what?

> Peel them. Core them. Cut them in chunks. Add a small amount of water and
> some sugar if you want. Cinnamon if you want. Cook them down until thick,
> stirring constantly. Add more water if you need to. You can leave as is,
> or you can mash with a potato masher to make it smooth.

I like them in chunks without peels. If you don't want to peel them
and like it more sauce-y and smoother, though, you can put them
through a food mill or a chinois to get rid of the peels after they're
cooked.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:56:30 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:

> writes:
>>In article >,
>> tert in seattle > wrote:
>>
>>> I have apples
>>>
>>> now what?

>>Depends on how many you have and what you want to do with the sauce and
>>what type of sauce you want. You'll have better luck with apples
>>designated as good for cooking. Macintoshes will turn to sauce while
>>you look at them.
>>
>>If you've "some" apples and you want to make applesauce to use within a
>>week or so, peel and core them and cook them until very tender, then
>>mash. Personally, I recommend cooking them in a 2-quart Pyrex measuring
>>pitcher in the microwave, covered, for about 5-10 minutes, stirring once
>>or twice to rearrange them. You won't need to add water and they won't
>>stick and burn because of not much liquid in the pan. If you want
>>thick sauce, drain off the resulting juice before pureeing (if you want
>>smooth sauce) or mashing (if you want chunky sauce). If you want
>>soupier sauce, leave the juice in when you puree or mash. Season to
>>taste -- cinnamon, sugar -- or don't. Eat it. Or refrigerate it for
>>up to a week.
>>
>>If you want to do something else with it, let me know.

> thanks Melba and thanks to all who replied, even the joke replies
> that weren't actually funny -- you still brightened my day :-) :-) :-)
>

> FYI here's my method: take 1 part Braeburns and 1 part Granny Smiths,
> core, peel, and quarter, put in a saucepan with enough water to
> cover them, simmer covered for an hour or so, stirring occasionally.
> Maybe uncover or partially cover towards the end until the desired
> thickness/flavor concentration has been achieved. No need to stir
> constantly. I like it chunky.

One good recipe posted by the jelly lady ..and you did this?

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> I have apples
>
> now what?

Have you finished the hummus yet?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> FYI here's my method: take 1 part Braeburns and 1 part Granny Smiths,
> core, peel, and quarter, put in a saucepan with enough water to
> cover them, simmer covered for an hour or so, stirring occasionally.
> Maybe uncover or partially cover towards the end until the desired
> thickness/flavor concentration has been achieved. No need to stir
> constantly. I like it chunky.

WHY all that water? No no no.. very little to no water is necessary. The
fruit itself is packed with enough water.
I stew chunks of apple slow and low until soft (probably about 15 min
max?) then add a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch (very little to none)
Splenda, depending on the apples used. I often toss in odd pears that
are starting to overripen too.
I smoosh it up a bit with the back of a spoon, but like you I prefer it
chunky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>>Depends on how many you have and what you want to do with the sauce and
>>>what type of sauce you want. You'll have better luck with apples
>>>designated as good for cooking. Macintoshes will turn to sauce while
>>>you look at them.
>>>
>>>If you've "some" apples and you want to make applesauce to use within a
>>>week or so, peel and core them and cook them until very tender, then
>>>mash. Personally, I recommend cooking them in a 2-quart Pyrex measuring
>>>pitcher in the microwave, covered, for about 5-10 minutes, stirring once
>>>or twice to rearrange them. You won't need to add water and they won't
>>>stick and burn because of not much liquid in the pan. If you want
>>>thick sauce, drain off the resulting juice before pureeing (if you want
>>>smooth sauce) or mashing (if you want chunky sauce). If you want
>>>soupier sauce, leave the juice in when you puree or mash. Season to
>>>taste -- cinnamon, sugar -- or don't. Eat it. Or refrigerate it for
>>>up to a week.
>>>
>>>If you want to do something else with it, let me know.

>> thanks Melba and thanks to all who replied, even the joke replies
>> that weren't actually funny -- you still brightened my day :-) :-) :-)
>>

>> FYI here's my method: take 1 part Braeburns and 1 part Granny Smiths,
>> core, peel, and quarter, put in a saucepan with enough water to
>> cover them, simmer covered for an hour or so, stirring occasionally.
>> Maybe uncover or partially cover towards the end until the desired
>> thickness/flavor concentration has been achieved. No need to stir
>> constantly. I like it chunky.

>One good recipe posted by the jelly lady ..and you did this?

I see several recipes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
tert in seattle > wrote:

> writes:
> >In article >,
> > tert in seattle > wrote:
> >
> >> I have apples
> >>
> >> now what?

> >Depends on how many you have and what you want to do with the sauce and
> >what type of sauce you want. You'll have better luck with apples
> >designated as good for cooking. Macintoshes will turn to sauce while
> >you look at them.
> >
> >If you've "some" apples and you want to make applesauce to use within a
> >week or so, peel and core them and cook them until very tender, then
> >mash. Personally, I recommend cooking them in a 2-quart Pyrex measuring
> >pitcher in the microwave, covered, for about 5-10 minutes, stirring once
> >or twice to rearrange them. You won't need to add water and they won't
> >stick and burn because of not much liquid in the pan. If you want
> >thick sauce, drain off the resulting juice before pureeing (if you want
> >smooth sauce) or mashing (if you want chunky sauce). If you want
> >soupier sauce, leave the juice in when you puree or mash. Season to
> >taste -- cinnamon, sugar -- or don't. Eat it. Or refrigerate it for
> >up to a week.
> >
> >If you want to do something else with it, let me know.

> thanks Melba and thanks to all who replied, even the joke replies
> that weren't actually funny -- you still brightened my day :-) :-) :-)
>

> FYI here's my method: take 1 part Braeburns and 1 part Granny Smiths,
> core, peel, and quarter, put in a saucepan with enough water to
> cover them, simmer covered for an hour or so, stirring occasionally.
> Maybe uncover or partially cover towards the end until the desired
> thickness/flavor concentration has been achieved. No need to stir
> constantly. I like it chunky.

Would you consider nuking them without the addition of any water? That
is one helluva lot of water to add and then cook off.
Heck, if I'd known you already knew how, I wouldn't have bothered. It
sounded like you'd never done it before.
Rock on.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jay > wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:56:30 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
> > writes:

> >>Depends on how many you have and what you want to do with the sauce and
> >>what type of sauce you want. You'll have better luck with apples
> >>designated as good for cooking. Macintoshes will turn to sauce while
> >>you look at them.
> >>
> >>If you've "some" apples and you want to make applesauce to use within a
> >>week or so, peel and core them and cook them until very tender, then
> >>mash. Personally, I recommend cooking them in a 2-quart Pyrex measuring
> >>pitcher in the microwave, covered, for about 5-10 minutes, stirring once
> >>or twice to rearrange them. You won't need to add water and they won't
> >>stick and burn because of not much liquid in the pan. If you want
> >>thick sauce, drain off the resulting juice before pureeing (if you want
> >>smooth sauce) or mashing (if you want chunky sauce). If you want
> >>soupier sauce, leave the juice in when you puree or mash. Season to
> >>taste -- cinnamon, sugar -- or don't. Eat it. Or refrigerate it for
> >>up to a week.
> >>
> >>If you want to do something else with it, let me know.

> > thanks Melba and thanks to all who replied, even the joke replies
> > that weren't actually funny -- you still brightened my day :-) :-) :-)
> >

> > FYI here's my method: take 1 part Braeburns and 1 part Granny Smiths,
> > core, peel, and quarter, put in a saucepan with enough water to
> > cover them, simmer covered for an hour or so, stirring occasionally.
> > Maybe uncover or partially cover towards the end until the desired
> > thickness/flavor concentration has been achieved. No need to stir
> > constantly. I like it chunky.

> One good recipe posted by the jelly lady ..and you did this?
>
> jay

ROFL! Thanks, Jay, but there's more than one way to skin a cat (nothing
to do with felines, btw) and there's more than one way to cook fruit
sauce.

Applesauce Gloria P General Cooking 17 29-09-2009 02:00 AM
Applesauce Gary Preserving 14 09-08-2008 02:21 AM
Can I use my applesauce maker to make spaghetti sauce? Fishhead Preserving 6 23-08-2005 05:00 AM
Applesauce Read Recipes (moderated) 0 29-09-2004 03:51 AM
How many apples to make applesauce? connie Preserving 2 15-10-2003 06:14 AM