FoodBanter.com

-   -   When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake)From Falling (Sinking) To (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/142589-when-baking-cake-how.html)

*GED* 08-12-2007 05:08 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake)From Falling (Sinking) To

When ever I bake Cakes for my Family,they generally turn out pretty
good.However there is one thing which (lately) always seems to
happen.After I have Baked the Cake in the Oven and allowed it to cool
down,when I cut
into it the fruit "Always" seems to have "sunk"!?!?!? to the bottom of
the Cake.I have tried everything I know to prevent this
happening.Although the Cakes turn out very good,and my Family eat them
almost straight away,and they always compliment me on my Baking.This
is "One" thing I would like to solve.I was Head Cook in a Old Peoples
Home before I retired 12 years ago,I have thought about it might be
just me losing my touch,but the more I think about it the more
convinced I am that I must just be forgetting to do some rudimentary
preparation would
be most grateful for some of your suggestions to remedy this
fault.Thank you in anticipation.

I must admit this has sometimes kept me awake at night.I just can not
think of the solution????.

sf[_3_] 08-12-2007 05:12 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 08:08:19 -0800 (PST), "*GED*"
> wrote:

>When ever I bake Cakes for my Family,they generally turn out pretty
>good.However there is one thing which (lately) always seems to
>happen.After I have Baked the Cake in the Oven and allowed it to cool
>down,when I cut
>into it the fruit "Always" seems to have "sunk"!?!?!? to the bottom of
>the Cake.I have tried everything I know to prevent this
>happening.Although the Cakes turn out very good,and my Family eat them
>almost straight away,and they always compliment me on my Baking.This
>is "One" thing I would like to solve.I was Head Cook in a Old Peoples
>Home before I retired 12 years ago,I have thought about it might be
>just me losing my touch,but the more I think about it the more
>convinced I am that I must just be forgetting to do some rudimentary
>preparation would
>be most grateful for some of your suggestions to remedy this
>fault.Thank you in anticipation.
>
>I must admit this has sometimes kept me awake at night.I just can not
>think of the solution????.

1. How thick is the batter?
2. Did you toss the fruit in flour first?
3. When all else fails, sprinkle the fruit on top of the cake. It
will sink, but not as far and distribute fairly evenly.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Mark Thorson 08-12-2007 10:49 PM

*GED* wrote:

> When ever I bake Cakes for my Family,they generally turn out pretty
> good.However there is one thing which (lately) always seems to
> happen.After I have Baked the Cake in the Oven and allowed it to cool
> down,when I cut
> into it the fruit "Always" seems to have "sunk"!?!?!? to the bottom of
> the Cake.I have tried everything I know to prevent this

Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
but before the cake batter has completely lost
its liquid consistency?

Mike[_34_] 08-12-2007 10:50 PM

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
> but before the cake batter has completely lost
> its liquid consistency?

You don't bake, do you?

rosie[_1_] 08-12-2007 10:52 PM

On Dec 8, 10:08�am, "*GED*" > wrote:
> When ever I bake Cakes for my Family,they generally turn out pretty
> good.However there is one thing which (lately) always seems to
> happen.After I have Baked the Cake in the Oven and allowed it to cool
> down,when I cut
> into it the fruit "Always" seems to have "sunk"!?!?!? to the bottom of
> the Cake.I have tried everything I know to prevent this
> happening.Although the Cakes turn out very good,and my Family eat them
> almost straight away,and they always compliment me on my Baking.This
> is "One" thing I would like to solve.I was Head Cook in a Old Peoples
> Home before I retired 12 years ago,I have thought about it might be
> just me losing my touch,but the more I think about it the more
> convinced I am that I must just be forgetting to do some rudimentary
> preparation would
> be most grateful for some of your suggestions to remedy this
> fault.Thank you in anticipation.
>
> I must admit this has sometimes kept me awake at night.I just can not
> think of the solution????.

Try flouring the fruit, add it at the end just before you put it into
the pans.
Rosie

Mark Thorson 08-12-2007 11:16 PM

Mike wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>
> > Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
> > but before the cake batter has completely lost
> > its liquid consistency?

> You don't bake, do you?

The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
the oven.

Mike[_34_] 08-12-2007 11:18 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Mike wrote:
>>
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
>> > but before the cake batter has completely lost
>> > its liquid consistency?

>> You don't bake, do you?

> The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
> that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
> resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
> the oven.

That's about what I figured.

Miche[_3_] 08-12-2007 11:31 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

In article
"*GED*" > wrote:

> When ever I bake Cakes for my Family,they generally turn out pretty
> good.However there is one thing which (lately) always seems to
> happen.After I have Baked the Cake in the Oven and allowed it to cool
> down,when I cut
> into it the fruit "Always" seems to have "sunk"!?!?!? to the bottom of
> the Cake.

Coat the pieces of fruit in some of the flour before adding to the cake.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Miche[_3_] 08-12-2007 11:38 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

In article >,
"Mike" > wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>
> > Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
> > but before the cake batter has completely lost
> > its liquid consistency?

> You don't bake, do you?

He's a known stirrer.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

T[_1_] 08-12-2007 11:51 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

In article >, says...
> Mike wrote:
> >
> > "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
> > > but before the cake batter has completely lost
> > > its liquid consistency?

> > You don't bake, do you?

> The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
> that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
> resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
> the oven.

Speaking of getting around to cleaning the oven, I've noted that I
cannot for the life of me find oven cleaner here in RI supermarkets.
Maybe I'm just flying past it but I've looked and looked to no avail.

Lou Decruss[_2_] 08-12-2007 11:55 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 14:16:21 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Mike wrote:
>>
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
>> > but before the cake batter has completely lost
>> > its liquid consistency?

>> You don't bake, do you?

>The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
>that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
>resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
>the oven.

Buy a new oven. It's easier. <g>

Lou

Mark Thorson 09-12-2007 12:17 AM

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 14:16:21 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >Mike wrote:

> >> You don't bake, do you?

> >The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
> >that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
> >resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
> >the oven.

> Buy a new oven. It's easier. <g>

When I move out of here, the new place will have
a new (presumably, clean) oven. At least, that's
the Plan.

Dave Smith[_2_] 09-12-2007 12:26 AM

*GED* wrote:

> When ever I bake Cakes for my Family,they generally turn out pretty
> good.However there is one thing which (lately) always seems to
> happen.After I have Baked the Cake in the Oven and allowed it to cool
> down,when I cut
> into it the fruit "Always" seems to have "sunk"!?!?!? to the bottom of
> the Cake.I have tried everything I know to prevent this
> happening.Although the Cakes turn out very good,and my Family eat them
> almost straight away,and they always compliment me on my Baking.This
> is "One" thing I would like to solve.I was Head Cook in a Old Peoples
> Home before I retired 12 years ago,I have thought about it might be
> just me losing my touch,but the more I think about it the more
> convinced I am that I must just be forgetting to do some rudimentary
> preparation would
> be most grateful for some of your suggestions to remedy this
> fault.Thank you in anticipation.

I just made my Christmas (light) fruit cake the other day. The recipe I use
makes a very thick batter. The fruit does not budge during the baking.
The batter I use is 2 cups soft butter, 2 cups sugar, 8 eggs, 1 cup sour
cream, 3 Tblsp lemon juice, 2 tsp. lemon rind 5 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp.
baking soda 1 tsp. salt. Then I use 3 cups raisins, 2 cups each green and
red cherries and 2 cups pineapple. I leave out the dates and pecans. I toss
the fruit in the flour mixture before stirring it into the wet ingredients.
It is so think I have to wet a spatula to spread in into the loaf pans.

Lou Decruss[_2_] 09-12-2007 12:54 AM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:17:03 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 14:16:21 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>> wrote:

>> >The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
>> >that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
>> >resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
>> >the oven.

>> Buy a new oven. It's easier. <g>

>When I move out of here, the new place will have
>a new (presumably, clean) oven. At least, that's
>the Plan.

We just got a new one. I wiped it down and ran it for a few hours.
It still left an off taste. I had to let it run for a few more hours
to get rid of whatever factory stuff was in it. It's all good now.

Lou

sf[_3_] 09-12-2007 01:22 AM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 18:26:16 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I just made my Christmas (light) fruit cake the other day. The recipe I use
>makes a very thick batter. The fruit does not budge during the baking.
>The batter I use is 2 cups soft butter, 2 cups sugar, 8 eggs, 1 cup sour
>cream, 3 Tblsp lemon juice, 2 tsp. lemon rind 5 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp.
>baking soda 1 tsp. salt. Then I use 3 cups raisins, 2 cups each green and
>red cherries and 2 cups pineapple. I leave out the dates and pecans. I toss
>the fruit in the flour mixture before stirring it into the wet ingredients.
>It is so think I have to wet a spatula to spread in into the loaf pans.

Is that recipe in your computer? If so, would you please post it?

Mark Thorson 09-12-2007 02:36 AM

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:17:03 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >When I move out of here, the new place will have
> >a new (presumably, clean) oven. At least, that's
> >the Plan.

> We just got a new one. I wiped it down and ran it for a few hours.
> It still left an off taste. I had to let it run for a few more hours
> to get rid of whatever factory stuff was in it. It's all good now.

I meant "new to me", as in the new car I intend
to buy in the near future. Isn't it crazy how much
evil-smelling chemical gas is emitted by new appliances
when used for the first time (and a few subsequent times)?

I can imagine a service that would sell new-in-box
appliances that had already been broken in.

Pennyaline 09-12-2007 06:25 AM

Dave Smith wrote:
> I just made my Christmas (light) fruit cake the other day. The recipe I use
> makes a very thick batter. The fruit does not budge during the baking.
> The batter I use is 2 cups soft butter, 2 cups sugar, 8 eggs, 1 cup sour
> cream, 3 Tblsp lemon juice, 2 tsp. lemon rind 5 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp.
> baking soda 1 tsp. salt. Then I use 3 cups raisins, 2 cups each green and
> red cherries and 2 cups pineapple. I leave out the dates and pecans. I toss
> the fruit in the flour mixture before stirring it into the wet ingredients.
> It is so think I have to wet a spatula to spread in into the loaf pans.

Ack! You omit dates and pecans, yet include icky creepy red and green
cherries?? Argh! You leave out the best part!!

Julie Bove 09-12-2007 07:14 AM

"*GED*" > wrote in message
> When ever I bake Cakes for my Family,they generally turn out pretty
> good.However there is one thing which (lately) always seems to
> happen.After I have Baked the Cake in the Oven and allowed it to cool
> down,when I cut
> into it the fruit "Always" seems to have "sunk"!?!?!? to the bottom of
> the Cake.I have tried everything I know to prevent this
> happening.Although the Cakes turn out very good,and my Family eat them
> almost straight away,and they always compliment me on my Baking.This
> is "One" thing I would like to solve.I was Head Cook in a Old Peoples
> Home before I retired 12 years ago,I have thought about it might be
> just me losing my touch,but the more I think about it the more
> convinced I am that I must just be forgetting to do some rudimentary
> preparation would
> be most grateful for some of your suggestions to remedy this
> fault.Thank you in anticipation.
>
> I must admit this has sometimes kept me awake at night.I just can not
> think of the solution????.

Easy. Coat your fruit in some flour. Works for nuts too.

Julie Bove 09-12-2007 07:15 AM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

"T" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >, says...
>> Mike wrote:

>> > You don't bake, do you?

>> The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
>> that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
>> resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
>> the oven.
>>

> Speaking of getting around to cleaning the oven, I've noted that I
> cannot for the life of me find oven cleaner here in RI supermarkets.
> Maybe I'm just flying past it but I've looked and looked to no avail.

I think most people have self cleaning ovens these days. But maybe not...

Dave Smith[_2_] 09-12-2007 04:41 PM

sf wrote:

> >I just made my Christmas (light) fruit cake the other day. The recipe I use
> >makes a very thick batter. The fruit does not budge during the baking.
> >The batter I use is 2 cups soft butter, 2 cups sugar, 8 eggs, 1 cup sour
> >cream, 3 Tblsp lemon juice, 2 tsp. lemon rind 5 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp.
> >baking soda 1 tsp. salt. Then I use 3 cups raisins, 2 cups each green and
> >red cherries and 2 cups pineapple. I leave out the dates and pecans. I toss
> >the fruit in the flour mixture before stirring it into the wet ingredients.
> >It is so think I have to wet a spatula to spread in into the loaf pans.

> Is that recipe in your computer? If so, would you please post it?

Fruit Cake

3 cups Seedless white raisins
2 cups red glazed cherries
2 cups green glazed cherries
2 cups candied pineapple
2 cups pitted dates (optional)
1 cup coarsely ground pecans (optional)
5 ½ cups All purpose flour
½ tsp Baking Soda
¾ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Mace
2 cups soft butter
2 cups granulated sugar
8 eggs
½ pint sour cream
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 tsp. Grated lemon rind
3 Tbsp. Lemon juice

- Blend butter and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream,
vanilla, lemon juice and granted rind.

- Place the fruits in a large bowl, sift dry ingredients over the fruit and
stir together. Add liquid mixture to the dry and stir to mix thoroughly.

- Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more than
half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.

- Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.

Allow loves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over each
loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit for at
least a few days before eating. If not using them within two weeks they
should be frozen.

PeterLucas[_4_] 09-12-2007 04:52 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> - Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little
> more than half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.
>
> - Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.
>
> Allow loves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over
> each loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit
> for at least a few days before eating. If not using them within two
> weeks they should be frozen.

WTF???!!!!

6-7 loaf pans??? Who the hell has that much room in their damn oven??

And *frozen*???!!!

Pffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttt!!

Subject: REC: The finished Christmas cake.
Newsgroups: AAPT News:rec.food.cooking
To: Sarah >

"Sarah" > wrote in
o.uk:

>>> http://tinyurl.com/2o77tk

>> I love a good fruit cake. Yours looks very yummy!
>> We did like Wayne mentioned. Rum soaked, wrapped in cheese cloth
>> and stored in tins for months. Heavenly.

> Great idea, I've got a litre of Mount Bay Barbados rum waiting for
> something to do with it!
> I'll wait for Peter's recipe, and then add a bit plus feed it til
> Christmas!
>

> Sarah

It's called a Wedding Cake.. or in this instance, Christmas Cake :-)

500g (1 lb) butter
500g (1 lb) Brown Sugar (the darker the better)
2 level tablespoons Mixed Spice
2 level dessertspoons Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
12 eggs
500g (1 lb) Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
Grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1kg (2 lb) Seeded Raisins
500g (1 lb) Sultanas
500g (1 lb) Currants
225g (1/2 lb) Mixed Peel
225g (1/2 lb) Cherries (I used Glace' cherries)
225g (1/2 lb) Almonds
4 tablespoons Wine or Brandy
1&1/2 cups combined red wine and brandy extra

Cream butter sugar and spices together, add egg yolks and beat well.
Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites alternatively with sifted flour and
baking powder. Add grated rind and fruit and nuts. (Chop the cherries up
and whizz the almonds (if whole) in a food processor). Lastly, add all
the booze and mix.

Grease and line your biggest cake tin with baking paper (mine's a 9"
square and as you saw from the pics, still wasn't big enough!!).

Bake approx 5 hours at 120C (250F) and then 2 hours at 100C (200F)

Note: With the egg whites, I put them and the flour in the mix in 3
batches. The egg whites won't properly 'assimilate' by themselves so
rather than spend too long trying to make them mix in, throw some flour
in with them.
And with the extra 1&1/2 cups of booze, mix them together in whatever
quantities you want, and even add more if you wish... it'll just make
the cake moister :-)

My mix was predominately brandy with about 1/2 cup red wine...... it was
*good* red wine, and I wanted to save it for drinking!!

Did mine back thewn, it's still sitting in the bottom of my pantry,
still smelling great.

No freezer in sight.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Wars begin where you will...
but they do not end where you please.

Machiavelli

Dave Bugg 09-12-2007 05:27 PM

Pennyaline wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> I just made my Christmas (light) fruit cake the other day. The
>> recipe I use makes a very thick batter. The fruit does not budge
>> during the baking. The batter I use is 2 cups soft butter, 2 cups
>> sugar, 8 eggs, 1 cup sour cream, 3 Tblsp lemon juice, 2 tsp. lemon
>> rind 5 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. salt. Then I
>> use 3 cups raisins, 2 cups each green and red cherries and 2 cups
>> pineapple. I leave out the dates and pecans. I toss the fruit in the
>> flour mixture before stirring it into the wet ingredients. It is so
>> think I have to wet a spatula to spread in into the loaf pans.

> Ack! You omit dates and pecans, yet include icky creepy red and green
> cherries?? Argh! You leave out the best part!!

I absolutely detest dates, myself. I do love pecans, though.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Dave Smith[_2_] 09-12-2007 05:29 PM

PeterLucas wrote:

> > Allow loves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over
> > each loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit
> > for at least a few days before eating. If not using them within two
> > weeks they should be frozen.
> >

> WTF???!!!!
>
> 6-7 loaf pans??? Who the hell has that much room in their damn oven??

I do, and it is a standard size oven.

> And *frozen*???!!!

.... if not using them within 2 weeks. they keep beautifully in the
freezer.

Dave Smith[_2_] 09-12-2007 05:46 PM

Dave Bugg wrote:

> > Ack! You omit dates and pecans, yet include icky creepy red and green
> > cherries?? Argh! You leave out the best part!!

> I absolutely detest dates, myself. I do love pecans, though.

I like pecans but i can't eat them :-(

sf[_3_] 09-12-2007 05:59 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:41:52 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>sf wrote:

snip

>> Is that recipe in your computer? If so, would you please post it?

>Fruit Cake

<snip>

>- Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more than
>half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.

What does NB mean?

Thanks for the recipe!

Dave Bugg 09-12-2007 06:07 PM

Dave Smith wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>

>>> Ack! You omit dates and pecans, yet include icky creepy red and
>>> green cherries?? Argh! You leave out the best part!!

>> I absolutely detest dates, myself. I do love pecans, though.
>>

> I like pecans but i can't eat them :-(

Serious bummer. That's gotta be a hard restriction to follow sometimes,
especially since you love to bake.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Ophelia[_4_] 09-12-2007 07:02 PM

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:41:52 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>>

> snip
>>>
>>> Is that recipe in your computer? If so, would you please post it?

>> Fruit Cake
>>

> <snip>
>>
>> - Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little
>> more than half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.
>>

> What does NB mean?

note particularly!

Dave Smith[_2_] 09-12-2007 07:05 PM

sf wrote:

> >Fruit Cake
> >

> <snip>
> >
> >- Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more than
> >half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.
> >

> What does NB mean?

NOTE

> Thanks for the recipe!

You're welcome.

Dave Smith[_2_] 09-12-2007 07:11 PM

Dave Bugg wrote:

> >> I absolutely detest dates, myself. I do love pecans, though.
> >>

> > I like pecans but i can't eat them :-(

> Serious bummer. That's gotta be a hard restriction to follow sometimes,
> especially since you love to bake.

Literally :-(
I like nuts and always had problems after eating walnuts, but the problem
appears to have expanded to most other nuts. I used to love things like
pecan pie, Baklava and carrot cake but have to avoid them now. Last night I
was at a reading of A Christmas Carol and one of the readers was Anna Olsen
(celebrity chef "Sugar") and after the reading they had goodies including a
Strawberry Shortcake Trifle, a Chocolate Mousse Cake and a German Chocolate
cake that she had made. I opted for the German Chocolate Cake. It was
incredible, but when I got the the middle of it I discovered that it was
loaded with little bits of walnut, so I had to skip that part of it. Not so
bad though because I traded with my wife for some of the Strawberry
Shortcake Trifle, which was also very good.

sf[_3_] 09-12-2007 09:25 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 13:05:36 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> >

>> What does NB mean?

>NOTE
>>
>> Thanks for the recipe!

>You're welcome.

I emailed you via return reply, but it bounced. Is that an invalid
address or are you having trouble your email the server?

sf[_3_] 09-12-2007 09:50 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 13:05:36 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>

>NOTE
>>
>> Thanks for the recipe!

>You're welcome.

I emailed you via return reply, but it bounced. Is that an invalid
address or are you having trouble with your email server?

Mark Thorson 09-12-2007 10:33 PM

Julie Bove wrote:

> "T" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > In article >, says...
> >>
> >> The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
> >> that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
> >> resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
> >> the oven.

> > Speaking of getting around to cleaning the oven, I've noted that I
> > cannot for the life of me find oven cleaner here in RI supermarkets.
> > Maybe I'm just flying past it but I've looked and looked to no avail.

> I think most people have self cleaning ovens these days. But maybe not...

My oven is gas. Every self-cleaning oven I've ever
see was electric.

I think the war on drugs may have had something to do
with the disappearance of oven cleaner. Didn't that
contain a lot of lye? Red Devil lye has disappeared
from stores because it is used in making amphetamine
or something.

Nancy Young 09-12-2007 10:51 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

"Mark Thorson" > wrote

> My oven is gas. Every self-cleaning oven I've ever
> see was electric.

I guess you don't look at a lot of ovens?

nancy

Mark Thorson 09-12-2007 11:10 PM

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote
>
> > My oven is gas. Every self-cleaning oven I've ever
> > see was electric.

> I guess you don't look at a lot of ovens?

Roger that, chief!

Nancy Young 09-12-2007 11:10 PM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

"Mark Thorson" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote
>>
>> > My oven is gas. Every self-cleaning oven I've ever
>> > see was electric.

>> I guess you don't look at a lot of ovens?

> Roger that, chief!

Heh. I figured that out all by myself. Even low end gas ovens
tend to be self-cleaning anymore.

nancy

Mark Thorson 09-12-2007 11:16 PM

Pennyaline wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > I just made my Christmas (light) fruit cake the other day. The recipe I use
> > makes a very thick batter. The fruit does not budge during the baking.
> > The batter I use is 2 cups soft butter, 2 cups sugar, 8 eggs, 1 cup sour
> > cream, 3 Tblsp lemon juice, 2 tsp. lemon rind 5 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp.
> > baking soda 1 tsp. salt. Then I use 3 cups raisins, 2 cups each green and
> > red cherries and 2 cups pineapple. I leave out the dates and pecans. I toss
> > the fruit in the flour mixture before stirring it into the wet ingredients.
> > It is so think I have to wet a spatula to spread in into the loaf pans.

> Ack! You omit dates and pecans, yet include icky creepy red and green
> cherries?? Argh! You leave out the best part!!

Creepy, yes, but in the traditional style.
I guess Canadian traditional fruitcake is
the same as in the U.S.

Who knows? Maybe we learned it from them.

Mark Thorson 09-12-2007 11:20 PM

Dave Smith wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > What does NB mean?

> NOTE

Actually, _nota_bene_.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nota_bene

sf[_3_] 10-12-2007 06:35 AM

When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake) From Falling (Sinking) To

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:19:43 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>

>sf wrote:
>>
>> I emailed you via return reply, but it bounced. Is that an invalid
>> address or are you having trouble your email the server?
>>

>Son of a gun. When I configured my reader I must have omitted the .
>between my first name and last name. I don't know when that happened
>because I used to get mail back to my address. This one should work.

We'll see.... it's in the mail and haven't gotten it back yet.

Ophelia[_4_] 10-12-2007 09:30 AM

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> What does NB mean?

>> NOTE

> Actually, _nota_bene_.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nota_bene

true but it does mean note particularly:)

Dave Smith[_4_] 10-12-2007 03:43 PM

Now if you has only said you were batting your big Bambi eyes.... :-)

> Think of it this way... I could be saving you from having "the niece
> from hell" finding and inhaling it in one swoop... :)

LOL
One day last Christmas the big niece phoned around 5 pm on a Saturday night
to say they were in the neighbourhood on a winery tour and wanted to stop
by and say hello.... and that they couldn't stay for dinner because they
were going to stop at the Manadarin (Chinese buffet) on the way home.....
not that I was going to invite them for dinner.

Wonder why some people have a weight problem? She smeared butter on
fruitcake. IMO, that is like sprinkling sugar on a slice of cake, or
dipping candies in syrup.