Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Credit Card Skimming in Local Restaurant

A waitress at Mr. B's Restaurant in Germantown, TN was caught using a
concealed card reader to steal customer's credit card numbers. Police
arrested her and the man allegedly behind the scheme to swipe credit card
information in establishments all over the mid-south.

http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=7437236

OB Food: Mr. B's has excellent prime steaks. And the last time I was there
for lunch one of my friends ordered ordered the smothered pork chop. I
couldn't believe the size of it! It was almost 3 inches thick, but so
tender she cut it with a fork. I usually order country fried steak and 2
veggies at lunchtime and a petite filet with a baked potato and a veggie if
I'm there for dinner.

They have a nice selection of vegetables if you prefer a veggie plate (and
no, they aren't cooked to death canned veggies). The choices vary depending
upon what they can get fresh in season, except for the southern-style white
(Great Northern) beans with ham which are canned. But then, I usually use
canned beans when I make them at home. This is one of the few restaurants
where I've seen fresh brussels sprouts on the "sides" menu from time to time

Normally there's a long wait unless you get there very early. It's a shame
the owner is reporting business has dropped off because of this scheme. It
was certainly not her fault.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:23:50 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Normally there's a long wait unless you get there very early. It's a shame
>the owner is reporting business has dropped off because of this scheme. It
>was certainly not her fault.

It's time more restaurants adopted the European style portable card
readers. Your credit card never leaves your sight, so there is less
room for fraud.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 05 Dec 2007 09:23:50p, jmcquown meant to say...

> A waitress at Mr. B's Restaurant in Germantown, TN was caught using a
> concealed card reader to steal customer's credit card numbers. Police
> arrested her and the man allegedly behind the scheme to swipe credit
> card information in establishments all over the mid-south.
>
> http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=7437236
>
> OB Food: Mr. B's has excellent prime steaks. And the last time I was
> there for lunch one of my friends ordered ordered the smothered pork
> chop. I couldn't believe the size of it! It was almost 3 inches thick,
> but so tender she cut it with a fork. I usually order country fried
> steak and 2 veggies at lunchtime and a petite filet with a baked potato
> and a veggie if I'm there for dinner.
>
> They have a nice selection of vegetables if you prefer a veggie plate
> (and no, they aren't cooked to death canned veggies). The choices vary
> depending upon what they can get fresh in season, except for the
> southern-style white (Great Northern) beans with ham which are canned.
> But then, I usually use canned beans when I make them at home. This is
> one of the few restaurants where I've seen fresh brussels sprouts on the
> "sides" menu from time to time
>

> Normally there's a long wait unless you get there very early. It's a
> shame the owner is reporting business has dropped off because of this
> scheme. It was certainly not her fault.
>
> Jill

I think I'd use cash the next time I went.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 5th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 3dys 2hrs
Treason's just another word for
nothing left to lose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 05 Dec 2007 09:23:50p, jmcquown meant to say...

> A waitress at Mr. B's Restaurant in Germantown, TN was caught using a
> concealed card reader to steal customer's credit card numbers. Police
> arrested her and the man allegedly behind the scheme to swipe credit
> card information in establishments all over the mid-south.
>
> http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=7437236
>
> OB Food: Mr. B's has excellent prime steaks. And the last time I was
> there for lunch one of my friends ordered ordered the smothered pork
> chop. I couldn't believe the size of it! It was almost 3 inches thick,
> but so tender she cut it with a fork. I usually order country fried
> steak and 2 veggies at lunchtime and a petite filet with a baked potato
> and a veggie if I'm there for dinner.
>
> They have a nice selection of vegetables if you prefer a veggie plate
> (and no, they aren't cooked to death canned veggies). The choices vary
> depending upon what they can get fresh in season, except for the
> southern-style white (Great Northern) beans with ham which are canned.
> But then, I usually use canned beans when I make them at home. This is
> one of the few restaurants where I've seen fresh brussels sprouts on the
> "sides" menu from time to time
>

> Normally there's a long wait unless you get there very early. It's a
> shame the owner is reporting business has dropped off because of this
> scheme. It was certainly not her fault.
>
> Jill

Come to think of it, the last place I ate at was this very restaurant back
in 2000 when David and I were on our Drive to Phoenix in our move out here.
The food was excellent.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec 5th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 3dys 2hrs
Treason's just another word for
nothing left to lose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf says...
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:23:50 -0600, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
> >Normally there's a long wait unless you get there very early. It's a shame
> >the owner is reporting business has dropped off because of this scheme. It
> >was certainly not her fault.

> It's time more restaurants adopted the European style portable card
> readers. Your credit card never leaves your sight, so there is less
> room for fraud.

There's always room for fraud. Those mobile terminals are wireless
terminals. As it currently stands, a suitably equipped PC can crack WEP
passwords fairly easily. I wouldn't imagine WPA is far behind.

And knowing device manufacturers like I know device manufacturers, they
took the cheap way out as far as encrypting the wireless connection.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Dec 2007 12:26:18a, Sqwertz meant to say...

> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 05:04:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Come to think of it, the last place I ate at was this very restaurant
>> back in 2000 when David and I were on our Drive to Phoenix in our move
>> out here.

> You haven't eaten for over 7 years?
>
> -sw

I would certainly be much thinner if that were true. No, it was the last
time I ate at that particular restaurant. <but you knew that>

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, December 6th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 2dys 23hrs 30mins
E=MC + 3d6

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

>> And knowing device manufacturers like I know device manufacturers, they
>> took the cheap way out as far as encrypting the wireless connection.

> passwords?
>
> When the card is in the machine and has been verified, the payer enters
> a PIN on the keypad (4-digit Personal Id Number). Out of view of the
> waiter.The transaction won't go through without the correct PIN.
>
> Janet. (UK)

That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
> restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.

My American Express information was stolen and used by
someone in a local store where no one took my card out of
my sight. I don't know about this swiping business, all they
need to know is printed right there on the card. I was
lucky I just happened to notice the charges piling up on my
card while it was still only $1700.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Wed 05 Dec 2007 09:23:50p, jmcquown meant to say...
>
>> OB Food: Mr. B's has excellent prime steaks. And the last time I
>> was there for lunch one of my friends ordered ordered the smothered
>> pork chop. I couldn't believe the size of it! It was almost 3
>> inches thick, but so tender she cut it with a fork. I usually order
>> country fried steak and 2 veggies at lunchtime and a petite filet
>> with a baked potato and a veggie if I'm there for dinner.
>>

> Come to think of it, the last place I ate at was this very restaurant
> back in 2000 when David and I were on our Drive to Phoenix in our
> move out here. The food was excellent.

I've never been disappointed with their food. Great prices, too. And very
good service... at least until this particular server decided she needed
free phone cards and a little extra cash was worth stealing people's credit
card numbers.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote
>
>> That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
>> restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.

> My American Express information was stolen and used by
> someone in a local store where no one took my card out of
> my sight. I don't know about this swiping business, all they
> need to know is printed right there on the card. I was
> lucky I just happened to notice the charges piling up on my
> card while it was still only $1700.
>
> nancy

But you didn't have any problems getting it off your bill, did you?
I love my AMEX card.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Goomba38" > wrote
>>
>>> That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
>>> restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.

>> My American Express information was stolen and used by
>> someone in a local store where no one took my card out of
>> my sight. I don't know about this swiping business, all they
>> need to know is printed right there on the card. I was
>> lucky I just happened to notice the charges piling up on my
>> card while it was still only $1700.

> But you didn't have any problems getting it off your bill, did you?
> I love my AMEX card.

Oh, no. You get a lot of attention when you press the number
for fraud.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Goomba38" > wrote
>
>> That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
>> restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.

> My American Express information was stolen and used by
> someone in a local store where no one took my card out of
> my sight. I don't know about this swiping business, all they
> need to know is printed right there on the card. I was
> lucky I just happened to notice the charges piling up on my
> card while it was still only $1700.

I wonder how they did it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 10:23 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> A waitress at Mr. B's Restaurant in Germantown, TN was caught using a
> concealed card reader to steal customer's credit card numbers. Police
> arrested her and the man allegedly behind the scheme to swipe credit card
> information in establishments all over the mid-south.
>
> http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=7437236
>
> OB Food: Mr. B's has excellent prime steaks. And the last time I was there
> for lunch one of my friends ordered ordered the smothered pork chop. I
> couldn't believe the size of it! It was almost 3 inches thick, but so
> tender she cut it with a fork. I usually order country fried steak and 2
> veggies at lunchtime and a petite filet with a baked potato and a veggie if
> I'm there for dinner.
>
> They have a nice selection of vegetables if you prefer a veggie plate (and
> no, they aren't cooked to death canned veggies). The choices vary depending
> upon what they can get fresh in season, except for the southern-style white
> (Great Northern) beans with ham which are canned.

My mother used to make those. They'd cook all day. We had an
arrangement. She would let me know when she was making them, and I'd
spend the night at my buddy's house because the smell of Great
Northern beans makes me ill.
One day she forgot, and it was not pretty. It was one of the very few
times I ever treated her disrespectfully.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 08:45:47 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Janet Baraclough wrote:
>
>>> And knowing device manufacturers like I know device manufacturers, they
>>> took the cheap way out as far as encrypting the wireless connection.

>> passwords?
>>
>> When the card is in the machine and has been verified, the payer enters
>> a PIN on the keypad (4-digit Personal Id Number). Out of view of the
>> waiter.The transaction won't go through without the correct PIN.
>>
>> Janet. (UK)

>That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
>restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.

I have a Mastercard credit card which has a chip and I do have to
enter my PIN. The problem with chipcards in the US is the NIH
syndrome...

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathalie Chiva wrote:

> I have a Mastercard credit card which has a chip and I do have to
> enter my PIN. The problem with chipcards in the US is the NIH
> syndrome...
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

National Institute of Health?? Huh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> "Goomba38" > wrote
>>
>>> That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
>>> restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.

>> My American Express information was stolen and used by
>> someone in a local store where no one took my card out of
>> my sight. I don't know about this swiping business, all they
>> need to know is printed right there on the card. I was
>> lucky I just happened to notice the charges piling up on my
>> card while it was still only $1700.

> I wonder how they did it?

Got me. They were busted for using other people's card info,
too. They not being the store, they being some employee.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Dec, 05:36, T > wrote:
> In article >, sf says...
>
> > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:23:50 -0600, "jmcquown" >
> > wrote:

> > >Normally there's a long wait unless you get there very early. It's a shame
> > >the owner is reporting business has dropped off because of this scheme. It
> > >was certainly not her fault.

> > It's time more restaurants adopted the European style portable card
> > readers. Your credit card never leaves your sight, so there is less
> > room for fraud.

> There's always room for fraud. Those mobile terminals are wireless
> terminals. As it currently stands, a suitably equipped PC can crack WEP
> passwords fairly easily. I wouldn't imagine WPA is far behind.
>
> And knowing device manufacturers like I know device manufacturers, they
> took the cheap way out as far as encrypting the wireless connection.

There's a lot more to it than WEP or WPA. some of them use cellular
technology and the authorisation piece is done under a separately
encrypted conversation between the card, reader and the authorisation
switch. The PIN pads are encrypted so that no data is transmitted in
the clear and only a valid response from the auth host is acceptable
or the transaction is rejected. If the card is cloned (and here in the
UK we only accept CHIP based transaction, magstrip is old hat) the
Bank will know and the card can be retained

Doc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<<Mr. B's Restaurant in Germantown, TN...Normally there's a long wait
unless you get there very early. It's a shame the owner is reporting
business has dropped off because of this scheme. It was certainly not
her fault. >>

I frequent the Border's Bookstore that's right next to this
restaurant, and the smell of steak wafting from the restaurant is
heavenly. However, I've only eaten at this this restaurant a few
times and I've found the service to be poor. It seems to do very
well, though; I'm sure the business will recover very soon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote in message
. ..
> Nathalie Chiva wrote:
>> I have a Mastercard credit card which has a chip and
>> I do have to enter my PIN. The problem with chipcards
>> in the US is the NIH syndrome...
>>

> National Institute of Health?? Huh?

"Not Invented Here." Not strictly a US-based philosophy but
Industry does like reinventing the wheel often enough...

ObFood: Eggo Waffles, slathered with butter, floating in Log Cabin
syrup.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> "Goomba38" > wrote

>>> My American Express information was stolen and used by someone in
>>> a local store where no one took my card out of my sight. I don't
>>> know about this swiping business, all they need to know is
>>> printed right there on the card. I was lucky I just happened to
>>> notice the charges piling up on my card while it was still only
>>> $1700.

>> I wonder how they did it?

> Got me. They were busted for using other people's card info, too.
> They not being the store, they being some employee.
>
> nancy

How about just a peculiar knack for memorizing numbers? I know that's
low-tech, but it works.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> My American Express information was stolen and used by
>> someone in a local store where no one took my card out of
>> my sight. I don't know about this swiping business, all they
>> need to know is printed right there on the card. I was
>> lucky I just happened to notice the charges piling up on my
>> card while it was still only $1700.

> I just saw a news report on this. All a criminal has to do is plug in a
> reader to the terminal using a machine and a USB cord.

Gotcha. I confess that I could pay more attention when I
hand over my card, I'm usually more concerned about bagging,
whatever else catches my attention, but I didn't see the guy do
anything funny.

> You can capture the credit card numbers and in some cases, the reader will
> record a person's pin if they're using a debit card. The news report was
> stressing the importance of using credit vs. debit this holiday season.

Debit cards do not offer enough protection for my taste. I
only use debit at the cash machine, even then I don't use them
just anywhere if I can help it, like the machine at the gas station.
Credit cards have so many more advantages, then you just pay
when the bill comes. Debit card actually attached to my bank
account? No thanks, that's too much exposure for me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "cybercat" > wrote
>>
>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I wonder how they did it?

>> Got me. They were busted for using other people's card info, too.
>> They not being the store, they being some employee.

> How about just a peculiar knack for memorizing numbers? I know that's
> low-tech, but it works.

(laugh!) I actually said that, then deleted it. All the information they
need is printed right on the card, if someone is so inclined, what's to
stop them from memorizing it?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> "cybercat" > wrote

>>> Got me. They were busted for using other people's card info, too.
>>> They not being the store, they being some employee.

>> How about just a peculiar knack for memorizing numbers? I know
>> that's low-tech, but it works.

> (laugh!) I actually said that, then deleted it. All the information
> they need is printed right on the card, if someone is so inclined,
> what's to stop them from memorizing it?
>
> nancy

Do stores still use those clunky things that produce a carbon copy of card
information? (You can tell I don't use credit cards to shop much, eh?)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 8:55�am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote
>
> > That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
> > restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.

> My American Express information was stolen and used by
> someone in a local store where no one took my card out of
> my sight. �I don't know about this swiping business, all they
> need to know is printed right there on the card. �I was
> lucky I just happened to notice the charges piling up on my
> card while it was still only $1700.
>
> nancy

This is true... all someone needs is the credit card number,
expiration date, code number from the back of the card, and the
billing address... no one needs to swipe a credit card to make a
purchase on line or over the phone... and one can give any shipping
address.

But, the thing is the major credit card companys have very
sophisticated safeties built in so that a card can't make multiple
purchases, can't make simultaneous purchases, can't make purchases
within a short time frame, can't make purchases of similar items
within a particular time frame (ie. will reject for more than one TV,
vacuum cleaner, auto tires, etc. within say a one month period), and
many other features. I know this works because on a few occasions my
Visa has been rejected when I purchased an item and then went back the
next day to buy another identical item... happened at Staples when I
bought a cannon printer, and went the next day to buy one for my
brother as a gift... had to speak with a visa rep on the phone to
explain and supply certain identifying info.

It's a good idea to ask for a new card number with each new card
issued... my visa is good for three years, costs me $5 to get a new
number each time, same fee as for a reissue if you report a card lost/
stolen.

And of course everyone needs a paper shredder, and use it.. makes a
great holiday gift.

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 11:22:56 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>(laugh!) I actually said that, then deleted it. All the information they
>need is printed right on the card, if someone is so inclined, what's to
>stop them from memorizing it?
>
>nancy

I saw something on TV about how meth gives people the ability to do
things like that. It was sad and scarry. I don't have a pure past
but I'm glad that's something I never got into.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 08:45:47 -0500, in rec.food.cooking, Goomba38 wrote:

>Janet Baraclough wrote:
>
>>> And knowing device manufacturers like I know device manufacturers, they
>>> took the cheap way out as far as encrypting the wireless connection.

>> passwords?
>>
>> When the card is in the machine and has been verified, the payer enters
>> a PIN on the keypad (4-digit Personal Id Number). Out of view of the
>> waiter.The transaction won't go through without the correct PIN.
>>
>> Janet. (UK)

>That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
>restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.

In the UK? I doubt it. If you don't use your pin, the vendor is
responsible for any fraud.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 11:22:56 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>(laugh!) I actually said that, then deleted it. All the information they
>>need is printed right on the card, if someone is so inclined, what's to
>>stop them from memorizing it?

> I saw something on TV about how meth gives people the ability to do
> things like that.

Who'd have thought. Very interesting.

> It was sad and scarry. I don't have a pure past
> but I'm glad that's something I never got into.

If you have to do drugs, Meth is a nasty choice.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Dec 2007 03:01:11p, Sqwertz meant to say...

> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 07:32:40 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Dec 2007 12:26:18a, Sqwertz meant to say...

>>> You haven't eaten for over 7 years?

>> I would certainly be much thinner if that were true. No, it was the

last
>> time I ate at that particular restaurant. <but you knew that>

> Not really. The way you worded it left a few avenues of
> speculation open.
>
> Just trying to get in as many wiseass remarks to tide you over
> for that week you'll be offline :-)
>
> -sw

Oh, well, one can surmise anything. Obviously, I omitted "When I was in
Memphis". No one else seemed to have a comprehension problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: December 6th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 2dys 8hrs 30mins
Will the information superhighway have
any rest stops?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> If you have to do drugs, Meth is a nasty choice.

The WORST. My #1 Bud has a non-stop 24-hour voice (except during sleep which
takes alcohol to accomplish) in his head from a long meth binge. The only way
he can shut it off is by talking. When we speak, I can hardly get a word in
edgewise. Began 1991. Refuses medical help. He was convinced it was his
father until he died, then he found someone else to blame.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 10:20�am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > "cybercat" > wrote

> >> "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> I wonder how they did it?

> > Got me. �They were busted for using other people's card info, too.
> > They not being the store, they being some employee.

> > nancy

> How about just a peculiar knack for memorizing numbers? �I know that's
> low-tech, but it works.
>
> Bob- Hide quoted text -

Right , I know my AMEX number and , very handy.
Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Goomba38" > wrote
>
>> That is for debit cards, not charge cards. When I use my AMEX at
>> restaurants I'm never asked for a PIN.

> My American Express information was stolen and used by
> someone in a local store where no one took my card out of
> my sight. I don't know about this swiping business, all they
> need to know is printed right there on the card. I was
> lucky I just happened to notice the charges piling up on my
> card while it was still only $1700.

Happened to me with my debit card. Some guy tried to buy a laptop computer
at Overstock.com with it. Luckily, Overstock realized it wasn't me. Now
how my Paypal account got hacked the other day is beyond me. Luckily I was
online at the time but what a horrible thing to watch the hack taking place
right before your eyes. Two charges were put on the account. I got a
refund on the first one but am waiting to for the second one to respond.
Since that's a porn site, I am not too hopeful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Dec 2007 03:01:11p, Sqwertz meant to say...
>
>> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 07:32:40 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Dec 2007 12:26:18a, Sqwertz meant to say...

>>> I would certainly be much thinner if that were true. No, it was
>>> the last time I ate at that particular restaurant. <but you knew
>>> that>

>> Not really. The way you worded it left a few avenues of
>> speculation open.
>>
>> Just trying to get in as many wiseass remarks to tide you over
>> for that week you'll be offline :-)
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Oh, well, one can surmise anything. Obviously, I omitted "When I was
> in Memphis". No one else seemed to have a comprehension problem.

Except technically, the restaurant is in Germantown

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Dec 2007 05:13:14p, jmcquown meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Dec 2007 03:01:11p, Sqwertz meant to say...

>>> Not really. The way you worded it left a few avenues of
>>> speculation open.
>>>
>>> Just trying to get in as many wiseass remarks to tide you over
>>> for that week you'll be offline :-)
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Oh, well, one can surmise anything. Obviously, I omitted "When I was
>> in Memphis". No one else seemed to have a comprehension problem.

> Except technically, the restaurant is in Germantown

Well, yes, so is my cousin's house, but I staying in Memphis.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Dec(XII) 6(VI),2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
2wks 2dys 6hrs 45mins
Microsoft - We put the 'backwards'
into backwards compatibility.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> My American Express information was stolen and used by
>> someone in a local store where no one took my card out of
>> my sight. I don't know about this swiping business, all they
>> need to know is printed right there on the card. I was
>> lucky I just happened to notice the charges piling up on my
>> card while it was still only $1700.

> Now how my Paypal account got hacked the other day is beyond me.

Oh, no!

> Luckily I was online at the time but what a horrible thing to watch the
> hack taking place right before your eyes. Two charges were put on the
> account. I got a refund on the first one but am waiting to for the second
> one to respond. Since that's a porn site, I am not too hopeful.

Do you have your Paypal attached to a bank account? Mine only
has a credit card. I wonder what recourse you have there. Yikes.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <94e8268a-85ff-4994-bbd0-fdab721cb9c2
@e67g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, says...
> On 6 Dec, 05:36, T > wrote:
> > In article >, sf says...

> > > It's time more restaurants adopted the European style portable card
> > > readers. Your credit card never leaves your sight, so there is less
> > > room for fraud.

> > There's always room for fraud. Those mobile terminals are wireless
> > terminals. As it currently stands, a suitably equipped PC can crack WEP
> > passwords fairly easily. I wouldn't imagine WPA is far behind.
> >
> > And knowing device manufacturers like I know device manufacturers, they
> > took the cheap way out as far as encrypting the wireless connection.

> There's a lot more to it than WEP or WPA. some of them use cellular
> technology and the authorisation piece is done under a separately
> encrypted conversation between the card, reader and the authorisation
> switch. The PIN pads are encrypted so that no data is transmitted in
> the clear and only a valid response from the auth host is acceptable
> or the transaction is rejected. If the card is cloned (and here in the
> UK we only accept CHIP based transaction, magstrip is old hat) the
> Bank will know and the card can be retained
>
> Doc

All well and good. They probably use a keying algorithm. All you need to
do is get one of the machines and you can figure out all the encryption.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Dec, 04:49, T > wrote:
> In article <94e8268a-85ff-4994-bbd0-fdab721cb9c2
> @e67g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, says...
>

> > On 6 Dec, 05:36, T > wrote:
> > > In article >, sf says...

> > > There's always room for fraud. Those mobile terminals are wireless
> > > terminals. As it currently stands, a suitably equipped PC can crack WEP
> > > passwords fairly easily. I wouldn't imagine WPA is far behind.

> > > And knowing device manufacturers like I know device manufacturers, they
> > > took the cheap way out as far as encrypting the wireless connection.

> > There's a lot more to it than WEP or WPA. some of them use cellular
> > technology and the authorisation piece is done under a separately
> > encrypted conversation between the card, reader and the authorisation
> > switch. The PIN pads are encrypted so that no data is transmitted in
> > the clear and only a valid response from the auth host is acceptable
> > or the transaction is rejected. If the card is cloned (and here in the
> > UK we only accept CHIP based transaction, magstrip is old hat) the
> > Bank will know and the card can be retained

> > Doc

> All well and good. They probably use a keying algorithm. All you need to
> do is get one of the machines and you can figure out all the encryption

Nope. There is encryption per machine (they 'should' all be different)
and per card and the responses to the card have to be valid in terms
of Issuer 'fingerprints' .

Doc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough said...

> The message >
> from "Andy <q>" <q> contains these words:
>
> . My #1 Bud has a non-stop 24-hour voice (except during sleep which
>> takes alcohol to accomplish) in his head from a long meth binge. The
>> only way
>> he can shut it off is by talking. When we speak, I can hardly get a
>> word in edgewise. Began 1991. Refuses medical help.

> Has he tried listening to a walkman with ear plugs? Some people with
> that problem find it helps to either drown out the voice, or even shut
> it up.
>
> Janet

He tried some psycho meds but it layed him out for days. Might have worked
if he didn't have a job and kids and a wife to support.

He does have a blue tooth earpiece in one ear to his iPhone but how could
you work under those circumstances. Hardly a solution to the problem.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:29:00 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote
>
>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 11:22:56 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>(laugh!) I actually said that, then deleted it. All the information they
>>>need is printed right on the card, if someone is so inclined, what's to
>>>stop them from memorizing it?

>> I saw something on TV about how meth gives people the ability to do
>> things like that.

>Who'd have thought. Very interesting.

People take garbage bags from the curbs in affluent neighborhoods and
dig through them for information. The meth gives them the ability to
sit for days piecing together things that have been torn up or even
shredded.

>> It was sad and scarry. I don't have a pure past
>> but I'm glad that's something I never got into.

>If you have to do drugs, Meth is a nasty choice.

They're all bad choices.

Lou

How to Buy a car from a bad Credit card jack assain General Cooking 1 19-04-2011 01:49 AM
Credit card rates Paul M. Cook General Cooking 0 22-08-2009 02:48 AM
CREDIT CARD RAJINI General Cooking 0 29-06-2008 02:10 AM
Credit Card for Bad Credit NO Credit Check! joliek General Cooking 2 03-03-2008 05:20 AM
credit card companies business credit card with reward credit card companies Tea 0 15-03-2006 02:32 PM