Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Catering question?

I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business enough
beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone give
me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make 80 some
Shriners full by the end of the night?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Depends upon all the side dishes you are planning, but
in our catering business we figure 3/4 Lb. raw, untrimmed
meat per person. Served with ranch beans, sourdough bread
and a mixed green salad.

Given the fact that your people are "seniors" they may not
comsume much meat, so you may wish to simply go with
the 1/2 Lb, raw, untrimmed.

Hope this helps,
Lewis

"Bushay" > wrote in message
. ..
>I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
>dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business enough
>beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone
>give me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make
>80 some Shriners full by the end of the night?
>

> Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bushay" > wrote:

> I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
> dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business enough
> beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone give
> me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make 80 some
> Shriners full by the end of the night?
>

> Thanks in advance.

Your friend in the grocery store business probably can give you
guidelines. It really depends on what else you plan to serve with the
roast beef. I assume you are talking about roast beef sandwiches.
Probably have a pound per person is a good estimate, but like I said, it
depends on what else is on the menu.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 3, 3:49 pm, "Lewis" > wrote:
> Depends upon all the side dishes you are planning, but
> in our catering business we figure 3/4 Lb. raw, untrimmed
> meat per person. Served with ranch beans, sourdough bread
> and a mixed green salad.
>
> Given the fact that your people are "seniors" they may not
> comsume much meat, so you may wish to simply go with
> the 1/2 Lb, raw, untrimmed.

The Shriners I've known have been quite active party-goers, no matter
what their age, so I'd go with the 3/4 lb. per person. Besides,
leftover roast beef has many easy uses. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bushay wrote:
> I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a
> Shriners dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store
> business enough beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older
> fellows. Can someone give me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I
> need to purchase to make 80 some Shriners full by the end of the
> night?

Plan for 100 to 120, not 80.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredib...fetchart2.html

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from "Lewis" > contains these words:
>
>> Depends upon all the side dishes you are planning, but
>> in our catering business we figure 3/4 Lb. raw, untrimmed
>> meat per person.

> These are "older fellows". Older people often have quite small appetites.

Unless they are not paying for the food or they bought a ticket for the
dinner.

We've been traveling in "Senior Citizen" country for the past 12 years
and I can tell you that they have enormous appetites when they aren't
directly paying. The next time you go to an all you can eat buffet
restaurant, watch how the seniors pile it on even though they are
getting it at a reduced senior citizen price. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 5:31 pm, "Bushay" > wrote:
> I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
> dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business enough
> beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone give
> me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make 80 some
> Shriners full by the end of the night?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Is that your only choice for cut of beef? It is SO tough and has
little flavor. I'd pick something else, frankly.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> On Dec 3, 5:31 pm, "Bushay" > wrote:
>> I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
>> dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business
>> enough
>> beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone
>> give
>> me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make 80
>> some
>> Shriners full by the end of the night?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

> Is that your only choice for cut of beef?

No, any other suggestions?

It is SO tough and has
> little flavor. I'd pick something else, frankly.

Tell me what you have in mind. I have till Friday to decide.

Or anyone else for that matter.

My friend for some reason insists on serving roast beef. I was under the
impression eye of round was the best way to go. He;;, even some different
reciepe suggestions are welcome.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Bushay wrote:

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>
>>On Dec 3, 5:31 pm, "Bushay" > wrote:
>>
>>>I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
>>>dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business
>>>enough
>>>beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone
>>>give
>>>me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make 80
>>>some
>>>Shriners full by the end of the night?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.

>>Is that your only choice for cut of beef?

> No, any other suggestions?

Chuck roll. It's more economical, and if you cook it right
it will turn out better. A full chuck roll will come in
around 18-20 lbs. You can divide in half to cook it if you
want. Depends on how big your cooker is.

I wouldn't serve eye of round without some sort of jus or
sauce on the side. Even if you cook it rare it'll probably
be on the dry side, and it doesn't reheat wel. It's a
relatively uninteresting cut.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" > wrote in message
> Bushay wrote:

>>>Is that your only choice for cut of beef?

>> No, any other suggestions?
>>

> Chuck roll. It's more economical, and if you cook it right
> it will turn out better. A full chuck roll will come in
> around 18-20 lbs. You can divide in half to cook it if you
> want. Depends on how big your cooker is.
>
> I wouldn't serve eye of round without some sort of jus or
> sauce on the side. Even if you cook it rare it'll probably
> be on the dry side, and it doesn't reheat wel. It's a
> relatively uninteresting cut.

Well, I just got back and did end up purchasing a 71 pound. Select Blns
BeefRound W/C/H/O[Peeled Knuckle} S/T [This is what was on the label of the
box.] I think I made a big mistake. I should have went with choice. I got
it at a cost of $1.89 a pound. Is there anything I can do marinade wise or
to spice it up other than adding jus or sauce on the side. Also gonna make
some Mostacholi along with a ceasars salad and a couple vegetables as well
as a bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bushay" > wrote in message
. ..
>I was asked by a friend to help cook a roast beef dinner for a Shriners
>dinner. I need to order from a friend in the grocery store business enough
>beef from an eye of round to feed 80. Mostly older fellows. Can someone
>give me a rough idea as to how much roast beef I need to purchase to make
>80 some Shriners full by the end of the night?
>

> Thanks in advance.

Look up the Navy Quartermaster Corps website. Not only do they have
measurements for preparing meat, veg and the lot for large amounts of
people, but also have recipes as well. For senior citizens', I'd do
something in a marinade that breaks down the meat abit. Realize, they may
want to graze like piggies in a trough, but their dentures might remain
where they put their last bite, so make it tender.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bushay wrote:
> "Reg" > wrote in message
>> Bushay wrote:

> Well, I just got back and did end up purchasing a 71 pound. Select
> Blns BeefRound W/C/H/O[Peeled Knuckle} S/T [This is what was on the
> label of the box.] I think I made a big mistake. I should have went
> with choice. I got it at a cost of $1.89 a pound. Is there anything
> I can do marinade wise or to spice it up other than adding jus or
> sauce on the side. Also gonna make some Mostacholi along with a
> ceasars salad and a couple vegetables as well as a bread.

Marinades generally consist of an acidic liquid and some oil, i.e. wine or
wine vinegar or lemon juice with seasonings added. I just wing marinades
depending upon what I have on hand.

In this case I'd go with an *inexpensive* (since you're going to be
marinating a lot of beef!) red wine (dry, not sweet) and a neutral tasting
oil. Onions, quartered to release the flavour. Maybe chopped celery
stalks. And garlic, definitely lots of garlic! Salt & pepper.

I'd marinate the beef (refrigerated, of course) for at least 24 hours based
on the cut you've described. Sorry, I can't begin to suggest quantities for
that amount of beef. Good luck!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 6:26 pm, "Bushay" > wrote:
> "Reg" > wrote in message

> > Bushay wrote:

> >> No, any other suggestions?

> > Chuck roll. It's more economical, and if you cook it right
> > it will turn out better. A full chuck roll will come in
> > around 18-20 lbs. You can divide in half to cook it if you
> > want. Depends on how big your cooker is.

> > I wouldn't serve eye of round without some sort of jus or
> > sauce on the side. Even if you cook it rare it'll probably
> > be on the dry side, and it doesn't reheat wel. It's a
> > relatively uninteresting cut.

> Well, I just got back and did end up purchasing a 71 pound. Select Blns
> BeefRound W/C/H/O[Peeled Knuckle} S/T [This is what was on the label of the
> box.] I think I made a big mistake. I should have went with choice. I got
> it at a cost of $1.89 a pound. Is there anything I can do marinade wise or
> to spice it up other than adding jus or sauce on the side. Also gonna make
> some Mostacholi along with a ceasars salad and a couple vegetables as well
> as a bread.- Hide quoted text -

it looks like you have boneless beef round (roast or steak?) instead
of "eye of round," unless that's the way the purveyor labels his
beef. Wouldn't the label say "eye of round?" Just asking.

I like a marinade mix of red wine (or red wine vinegar),
Worcestershire sauce (small amount, relatively), some olive oil,
garlic, parsley, salt, pepper. Just use your own judgment on amounts,
but the largest amounts should be of the wine or wine vinegar and the
oil. it's the wine that's going to tenderize.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 7:26�pm, "Bushay" > wrote:

> Well, I just got back and did end up purchasing a 71 pound. Select Blns
> BeefRound W/C/H/O[Peeled Knuckle} S/T [This is what was on the label of the
> box.] I think I made a big mistake. I should have went with choice. �I got
> it at a cost of $1.89 a pound. Is there anything I can do marinade wise or
> to spice it up other than adding jus or sauce on the side.

sauerbraten
[SOW-uhr-brah-tihn, ZOW-uhr-brah-tihn]
German for "sour roast," sauerbraten is a German specialty made by
marinating a beef roast in a sour-sweet MARINADE for 2 to 3 days
before browning it, then simmering the meat in the marinade for
several hours. The result is an extremely tender roast and a delicious
sauce. Sauerbraten is traditionally served with dumplings, boiled
potatoes or noodles.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Just get your multiplier out... you can quarter the meat to make it
more manageable... or dry roast part.

Sauerbraten
House & Garden
January 1963

6 pound rump of beef or rolled boned chuck
1 1/2 cups of red wine vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
5 peppercorns
3 whole cloves
2 tablespoons salt
2 onions, sliced
4 tablespoons shortening or oil
5 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup crushed gingersnaps

It is best to have the meat in one solid piece, but if it is boned and
rolled, make sure it has no added covering of suet. Combine the
vinegar, wine, water and seasonings, pour this mixture over the meat.
Add the sliced onions. Keep meat in the refrigerator, covered with
marinade, for 1-3 days, turning occasionally. (Purists say it should
be 3 days; I find 1 day sufficient.) Remove meat from marinade, wipe
dry with paper towels and brown in the shortening over high heat,
sprinkling with 1 tablespoon flour. Strain and add marinade, cover,
lower heat and cook gently for 4-5 hours, until fork-tender. Remove
meat and keep in warm place. Pour off the stock. In the same kettle,
melt the butter, add the remaining flour and the sugar, stirring until
smooth and browned. Slowly add the stock, cooking until smooth and
thickened. Add the crushed gingersnaps, and cook until dissolved.
Replace meat in the sauce and cook 1/2 hour longer. Meanwhile, cook
noodles to serve with the sauerbraten. This dish tastes better the
second day.
---

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Bushay" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Chuck roll. It's more economical, and if you cook it right
>>> it will turn out better. A full chuck roll will come in
>>> around 18-20 lbs. You can divide in half to cook it if you
>>> want. Depends on how big your cooker is.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't serve eye of round without some sort of jus or
>>> sauce on the side. Even if you cook it rare it'll probably
>>> be on the dry side, and it doesn't reheat wel. It's a
>>> relatively uninteresting cut.

>> Well, I just got back and did end up purchasing a 71 pound. Select Blns
>> BeefRound W/C/H/O[Peeled Knuckle} S/T [This is what was on the label of
>> the box.] I think I made a big mistake. I should have went with choice.
>> I got it at a cost of $1.89 a pound. Is there anything I can do marinade
>> wise or to spice it up other than adding jus or sauce on the side. Also
>> gonna make some Mostacholi along with a ceasars salad and a couple
>> vegetables as well as a bread.
>>

> What you bought is commonly called a Steamship Round of Beef, and is a
> venerable buffet delight. In fact, probably half of the pubs in Canada
> would have to close for lunch if Steamship Rounds were not available.
> They are served along with a large bowl of au jus for dipping, rolls for
> eating and horseradish and mayo for fun. If it is carved thin, which
> isn't
> hard to do, there shouldn't be too many dentures left on the floor. You
> should check around (local restaurant supply, rental stores) for a rack to
> hold the Steamship Round for cutting; it is a bit bigger than a standard
> cutting rack for a ham. And have a sharp knife. Yummy, you are going
> to have some fun with it. The suggestion of going into the Navy website
> for recipes is excellent.

Thank you. I did a google search but was unable to find the area she was
describing. Any links?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Bushay" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "pavane" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bushay" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>

>>> What you bought is commonly called a Steamship Round of Beef, and is a
>>> venerable buffet delight. In fact, probably half of the pubs in Canada
>>> would have to close for lunch if Steamship Rounds were not available.
>>> They are served along with a large bowl of au jus for dipping, rolls for
>>> eating and horseradish and mayo for fun. If it is carved thin, which
>>> isn't
>>> hard to do, there shouldn't be too many dentures left on the floor. You
>>> should check around (local restaurant supply, rental stores) for a rack
>>> hold the Steamship Round for cutting; it is a bit bigger than a standard
>>> cutting rack for a ham. And have a sharp knife. Yummy, you are going
>>> to have some fun with it. The suggestion of going into the Navy website
>>> for recipes is excellent.

>> Thank you. I did a google search but was unable to find the area she was
>> describing. Any links?
>>

> Well, I thought that I did...this was my link:
> http://www.nll.navsup.navy.mil/recipe/default.cfm
> and I haven't used it for a couple of years. It now tells me
> that I can't enter for "security reasons" or whatever.
> Perhaps Sheldon has another link into the mess hall system,
> sorry that I can't do better right now.

Hey...dont worry about it. Everyone's been great so far in helping me out
with this. I'll be sure and let you know how things turned out after
Saturday.

Couple other question though. That is a HUGE hunk of meat that I've never
attempted to cook before. And I plan on quartering it to cut down on cook
time. Thats 4 hunks of beef at around oh..17-18 pounds a piece. The dinner
is set for 7pm on Saturday night. How much time does anyone think I'll need
to cook that much beef to tenderness? What time should I need to put the
beef in the ovens? I can make the Mostocholi the day before and reheat it
and the salad as well. And while the beef is cooking I will be peeling and
cooking the mashed potatoes. In culinary school we used a good sized Hobart
mixer to make mashed potatoes for a large group. I wont have access to one
unless I use a friend of mines who owns a local bar which is close by and
possible. Otherwise all I have to work with is a good Kitchenaid mixer or an
electric hand mixer. Did I mention I'm volunteering my services for this
event? Crazy huh? Well, this is my first big event and I'm just looking to
gain some valuable experience. Plus, the guy I'm doing this for is my boss.
So unless half the room comes down the next day with a food borne illness, I
think I'll be ok.

> pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 3:09 pm, "Bushay" > wrote:

> Thank you. I did a google search but was unable to find the area she was
> describing. Any links?

Here's a site with recipes that serve 100:

https://nll1.ahf.nmci.navy.mil/recipe/

Myra
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Bushay wrote:

>> Well, I just got back and did end up purchasing a 71 pound. Select
>> Blns BeefRound W/C/H/O[Peeled Knuckle} S/T [This is what was on the
>> label of the box.] I think I made a big mistake. I should have went
>> with choice. I got it at a cost of $1.89 a pound. Is there anything
>> I can do marinade wise or to spice it up other than adding jus or
>> sauce on the side. Also gonna make some Mostacholi along with a
>> ceasars salad and a couple vegetables as well as a bread.

> Marinades generally consist of an acidic liquid and some oil, i.e. wine or
> wine vinegar or lemon juice with seasonings added. I just wing marinades
> depending upon what I have on hand.
>
> In this case I'd go with an *inexpensive* (since you're going to be
> marinating a lot of beef!) red wine (dry, not sweet) and a neutral tasting
> oil. Onions, quartered to release the flavour. Maybe chopped celery
> stalks. And garlic, definitely lots of garlic! Salt & pepper.
>
> I'd marinate the beef (refrigerated, of course) for at least 24 hours
> based
> on the cut you've described. Sorry, I can't begin to suggest quantities
> for
> that amount of beef. Good luck!
>
> Jill

Well, for those still interested in this story, I'm very happy to say that
everything turned out fantastic. I took a cheap, tough, huge piece of beef
and after marinating it for a day and a half turned it into a very tasty,
flavorful, and for the most part, untough piece of meat. I marinated it in a
LOT of cheap dry wine, garlic, onions,parsly and olive oil. Got a relitively
late start so I began cooking it at 400 for a couple hours and thought I had
over cooked it halfway before serving time but turned the temp down to
100-150 for the last 2-4 hours and it slowly cooked to the desired temp of
around 140+. Sliced it thin and let it sit in its own juices till eating
time and at first after trying some, 3/4 of the way thru thought it tasted
far too much of the red wine, in the end the finnished product had no wine
taste at all and had a simply delious flavor. I served it with a ceasars
salad, frozen corn, dinner rolls, a Mostacholli I put together from scratch
that actually won the hearts of everyone and mashed potatoes that were the
biggest pain I had all day long. I peeled 3, 15 pound bags of Yukon Golds
for at least 2+ hours aand although I got many nice compliments about the
potatoes, they were a nightmare to mash with a single kitchenaid mixer and a
meddlesome mother in law of my boss wanting to help in the kitchen a little
TOO much.

I began the day at 9am, they ate an hour late at 8pm[which I needed] and
after finishing all the dishes, got home by 1am. The wife tried to wake me
this afternoon at 2pm before leaving for the afternoon but I was still
sawing logs. Probably 50 or 60 of the expected 80-100 showed up which meant
plenty of leftovers to which many were asking for were available. All in
all, expect for the meddelsome mother in law wanting to help [in any way
with the mashed potatoes], I did the whole thing by myself and had a
terrific amount of people after the event tell me the food was fantastic and
I did a great job. All that on my first job that I voulenteered for and
didnt make a penny. I think another couple of these and I'm gonna have to
start asking for some cold,hard cash.

catering equipment [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 02-06-2007 12:33 AM
Any one own/operate a catering biz? kuvasz guy General Cooking 11 25-01-2007 01:31 AM
question on catering services [email protected] General Cooking 4 08-02-2006 04:57 PM
Catering [email protected] Restaurants 0 29-07-2005 09:14 PM
FS: Catering Trucks Chaz Cooking Equipment 0 27-02-2004 09:14 AM