Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Any Use for Canned Cream of Mushroom Soup?

Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
homes, I have accummulated
8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.

Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
fairly disgusting.

However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
it, I'm wondering if there
aren't some reasonable uses for it.

I did a batch of the standard Green Bean Casserole (using fresh grean
beans) for the
Thanksgiving meal (and will sheepishly admit that I actually liked it,
despite having
equally disgusting French's Fried Onions in it).

Now what?

Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)
Spackling prison cell walls?

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote

> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)

Recipes for pot roast often call for it. I have had it made
into a gravy for meatloaf. I hated when it was served as
soup when I was a kid, but it's pretty harmless as an ingredient.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>
> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
> fairly disgusting.
>
> However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
> it, I'm wondering if there
> aren't some reasonable uses for it.
>
> I did a batch of the standard Green Bean Casserole (using fresh grean
> beans) for the
> Thanksgiving meal (and will sheepishly admit that I actually liked it,
> despite having
> equally disgusting French's Fried Onions in it).
>
> Now what?
>
> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

I add a little to gravy sometimes.

In desperation you can feed starving teenagers by either making the soup or
making it thick and putting it over pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:
> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.

This is a pretty good use for some of it and one of the few recipes
where I'll use it-

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

Recipe By :Wuerzburg American Red Cross Cookbook
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casseroles Poultry

16 ounces frozen broccoli flowerets
4 cups leftover cooked chicken, cubed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons sherry
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs or packaged stuffing cubes

Mix together broccoli and chicken in large bowl. In separate bowl
combine soup, sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, sherry, curry powder and
cheese.
Pour over chicken mix and stir to coat. Pour into greased baking dish
and cover with bread crumbs or stuffing cubes (break up largest pieces)
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 min
Posted to rec.food.cooking

None whatsoever.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Crock pot and pot roast
use the dripping for gravy for your potatoes

On Nov 29, 10:54 am, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>
> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
> fairly disgusting.
>
> However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
> it, I'm wondering if there
> aren't some reasonable uses for it.
>
> I did a batch of the standard Green Bean Casserole (using fresh grean
> beans) for the
> Thanksgiving meal (and will sheepishly admit that I actually liked it,
> despite having
> equally disgusting French's Fried Onions in it).
>
> Now what?
>
> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 29, 8:54 am, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> .... I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
> .... it's fairly disgusting.
>
> However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
> it, I'm wondering if there aren't some reasonable uses for it.
> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?

I'd say it depends on the expectations of the people you're cooking
for. You don't really want their appreciation of good food to decline
just to avoid giving some cans to a charity. For example, if you
normally serve them pork chops browned and then covered with a sauté
of fresh mushrooms, shallots and a bit of madeira or marsala then it
would be a travesty to serve them chops smothered in this canned
crap. But if you normally serve them "hamburger helper" then nothing
will be hurt by introducing them to the Campbell's chemical
family. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Silvar Beitel > wrote:

> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in
> my own pantry.

A bonanza!! <grin>

> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
> fairly disgusting.

> Silvar Beitel

If I'm not using it to bind a hotdish, I reconstitute it and use it as
soup. Sue me. I guess your opinion is not similar to mine. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Silvar Beitel > wrote:
>
>> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
>> homes, I have accummulated 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in
>> my own pantry.

> A bonanza!! <grin>
>

>> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
>> fairly disgusting.

>> Silvar Beitel

> If I'm not using it to bind a hotdish, I reconstitute it and use it as
> soup. Sue me. I guess your opinion is not similar to mine. "-)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007

I bought a case of the stuff prior to the holiday (cooked for the homeless
on Turkey Day). It is great as a stretcher. But since the original poster
thinks it the equivelent to spackle, I would suggest giving all and sundry
canned goods still in date to the local food pantry. They are in definite
need this time of year. I'm with Barb, I actually cook with it on occasion.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:

> I did a batch of the standard Green Bean Casserole (using fresh grean
> beans) for the
> Thanksgiving meal (and will sheepishly admit that I actually liked it,
> despite having
> equally disgusting French's Fried Onions in it).
>
> Now what?

I could never understand that on being an old favourite. I remember my
mother serving us a green bean and mushroom soup dish when I was a kid.
Just a few weeks before that we had been at my great uncle's farm and the
bean dish looked just like the pig slop. Every time I read about the
American classic beans with mushroom soup and French's Fried Onions I
thought of the pig slop. Then about two years ago it was served to me with
dinner somewhere. I tried it and I have to say that I thought it was pretty
good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 11:54�am, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>
> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: �it's
> fairly disgusting.
>
> However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
> it, I'm wondering if there
> aren't some reasonable uses for it.
>
> I did a batch of the standard Green Bean Casserole (using fresh grean
> beans) for the
> Thanksgiving meal (and will sheepishly admit that I actually liked it,
> despite having
> equally disgusting French's Fried Onions in it).
>
> Now what?
>
> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? �(Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy any mind you but the results aren't
bad when used to deglaze a pan from meat loaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:

> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

In this recipe, you could substitute cream of mushroom for the cream of
chicken, and get rid of two cans at once.

King Ranch Chicken

1/4 cup margarine
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can Rotel tomatoes, hot or mild
season to taste (taco seasoning, chili powder, cumin)
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
16 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

In a large saucepan, melt margarine, cook bell pepper and onion until
tender. Add soups, spices, Rotel tomatoes and chicken, stir to blend. In
a 13x9x2-inch baking pan, alternately layer tortillas, soup mixture,
then cheese. Repeat for 3 layers, ending with cheese. Cover with foil
and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>
> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
> fairly disgusting.
>
> However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
> it, I'm wondering if there
> aren't some reasonable uses for it.
>
> I did a batch of the standard Green Bean Casserole (using fresh grean
> beans) for the
> Thanksgiving meal (and will sheepishly admit that I actually liked it,
> despite having
> equally disgusting French's Fried Onions in it).
>
> Now what?
>
> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?

Tuna noodle casserole
Hamburger patties in mushroom sauce
vegetable casserole with cheese

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 4:51 pm, "Cshenk" > wrote:

> My problem is they have upped the salt in the campbells over the years so
> it's no longer as useful. Best bet, omit any salt added to the recipe if
> using canned campbells then salt as needed (if any) at serving time. I
> didnt used to have to do that, but now we do. I use the reduced sodium ones
> when I can find them. (Was in Sasebo Japan for a long time and our
> available stock in items is limited).
>
> Crockpot variation:
> Veggies of choice at bottom
> Pot roast
> Can of cream of mushroom
> Spices or worstershire to taste (I add a little vinegar)
>
> Note, no water added. You want pot roast not boiled meat <grin>.

Campbell's now makes a reduced sodium along with a reduced fat
variation of their canned soups. You might want to give the reduced
sodium flavors a shot.

Cream of mushroom along with cream of celery and cream of chicken in a
crockpot over SKINLESS chicken pieces makes a fabulous gravy. Serve
all over separately cooked white rice. You won't die, I promise.
Most likely you'll make this dish again once you've tried it. Oh and
no water in this recipe either. You know how those sneaky crockpots
are, they make their on liquid when left to their own devices for
several hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:

> However, before I take the time and trouble to find
> a place to donate it, I'm wondering if there
> aren't some reasonable uses for it.

If you have one of those devices for making a
toasted sandwich in which two slices of white
bread are sealed together along the edges,
the cream of mushroom soup can be used as
a filling. Be warned that once the sandwich
is made, the filling will be REALLY HOT.
If you bite down on the sandwich, the filling
can squirt out, causing burns similar to
a World War II flamethrower.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"wally" .

> Crock pot and pot roast
> use the dripping for gravy for your potatoes

Yup. Since you cant reliably add cream or milk to crockpots (until near the
end) without curdling, cream of mushroom (and other cream soups) take the
place of that.

My problem is they have upped the salt in the campbells over the years so
it's no longer as useful. Best bet, omit any salt added to the recipe if
using canned campbells then salt as needed (if any) at serving time. I
didnt used to have to do that, but now we do. I use the reduced sodium ones
when I can find them. (Was in Sasebo Japan for a long time and our
available stock in items is limited).

Crockpot variation:
Veggies of choice at bottom
Pot roast
Can of cream of mushroom
Spices or worstershire to taste (I add a little vinegar)

Note, no water added. You want pot roast not boiled meat <grin>.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:
> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>
> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
> fairly disgusting.

I'm sorry, I've never found a use for it. I've tried it in various
casseroles such as chicken & broccoli (can't stand canned tuna) casserole.
But in general the soup just annoys me. It's gloppy (even when
reconstituted) and has no appeal. But then again, I don't go so far as to
make a sauteed mushroom redux with cream and sherry and so on. I'm just not
a mushroom fan. I suppose they have their place but everyone wants to make
them out to be the be-all end-all of whatever

A few mushrooms go a long way, AFAIK. Maybe I should consider Campbell's
cream of mushroom as a similar thing to tomato paste. 2 Tbs. here and
there. That might work.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Silvar Beitel > said:

> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>
> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
> fairly disgusting.

<snip>

I don't mind it as an ingredient. I don't think I'd want to eat it on
it's own. That being said, I like it for chicken and rice -- this is
for the crockpot, but one could easily adapt it to the stove top:

Crock Pot Chicken & Rice

10-12 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
1 1/2 C. uncooked brown or white rice
3 1/2 C water
1 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 T. butter or margarine
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 small white onion, diced
2 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, crushed
Black Pepper (to taste)
Worcestershire sauce (to taste)

Put all ingredients into crock pot, mix well. Cover; cook on "low"
setting for 8-10 hours. Stir once or twice during last two hours,
adding more water if necessary.

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 10:54�am, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>
> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: �it's
> fairly disgusting.
>
> However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
> it, I'm wondering if there
> aren't some reasonable uses for it.
>
> I did a batch of the standard Green Bean Casserole (using fresh grean
> beans) for the
> Thanksgiving meal (and will sheepishly admit that I actually liked it,
> despite having
> equally disgusting French's Fried Onions in it).
>
> Now what?
>
> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? �(Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Have you ever watched a movie calle "The Great Santini" ? If you have
you may remember a unique use for a can of the Cream of mushroom soup.
If you have not seen it, watch it....

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>
> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
> fairly disgusting.
>
> However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
> it, I'm wondering if there
> aren't some reasonable uses for it.
>
> I did a batch of the standard Green Bean Casserole (using fresh grean
> beans) for the
> Thanksgiving meal (and will sheepishly admit that I actually liked it,
> despite having
> equally disgusting French's Fried Onions in it).
>
> Now what?
>
> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?

One of the few times I use cream of soups is in a broccoli-rice casserole
that has been a family Thanksgiving favorite for years. (Note: I usually use
one can each of cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup, but you
could use two cans of cream of mushroom.) This recipe also calls for Cheez
Whiz (did I mention that I make this just once a year?).

To three cups of freshly-cooked (hot) long-grain rice, add a jar of Cheez
Whiz. Stir until 'Whiz' is melted. Add 10 oz of (thawed) frozen chopped
broccoli, a can of cream of chicken soup, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a
can of diced green peppers (drained), a can of sliced water chestnuts
(drained), and seasoning to taste. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 " pan,
sprinkle top with grated parmesan, and bake at 350 F for 30 min. (covered
with foil). Remove the foil and bake 30 min. longer.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Silvar Beitel wrote:

> Now what?
>
> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?

I didn't read all the threads on this, but did anyone suggest using it
for a mushroom-soup roast? My kids still beg me to make this when I go
back to visit, and it's the easiest thing in the world to make. It
tastes better when cooked covered all day in a low temp oven (200-250
degrees) but works well with a crock pot, using the low setting all
day. Just doesn't get the brown bits like a pan roast does.

1 large chuck, arm, 7-bone or rump roast. A very thick cut of London
broil works, too.
1 package Lipton Onion Soup dry mix
2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup (the Roasted Garlic version is quite
yummy, too)

Place the roast in your pan or crock pot. Sprinkle the Onion Soup Mix
over it, then just dump the two cans of soup over that. Cover (use
foil if you are oven roasting) and cook all day. It makes it's own
gravy that you can serve over mashed potatoes, noodles or rice.

Certainly not haute cuisine, but works on one of those nights when you
know you will be too busy too cook! I use the leftovers for a quick
beef stew.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>
> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
> fairly disgusting.
>
> However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
> it, I'm wondering if there
> aren't some reasonable uses for it.
>
> I did a batch of the standard Green Bean Casserole (using fresh grean
> beans) for the
> Thanksgiving meal (and will sheepishly admit that I actually liked it,
> despite having
> equally disgusting French's Fried Onions in it).
>
> Now what?
>
> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

I like it in Beef Stroganoff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 10:54 am, Silvar Beitel > wrote:

> However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
> it, I'm wondering if there
> aren't some reasonable uses for it.

I say keep the cans and learn to use them. They come in handy for a
quick and easy meal.

We always have a store of cream soups on our sailboat for easy dinners
while underway. After a few weeks at sea and the fresh stores are
getting thin, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of chicken, and a
can of mixed veggies over steamed rice makes for a pretty good dinner.

We also keep and use cream of mushroom soup at home and upon returning
home last week I made a quick dinner using the soup while we unpacked
and settled back into life on land. I don't have a real recipe but
here's what I did...

I browned six chicken thighs and set them aside. After wiping out the
chicken fat I prepared some chicken Rice-A-Roni in the same pan and
sautéed a chopped up onion while browning the rice. Once the rice was
ready for liquid I tossed in a can of cream of mushroom soup, along
with the Rice-A-Roni flavor packet, some water and the chicken. Then
I turned down the heat, set the timer for 20 minutes and went back
unpacking. I think we had some frozen veggies to go with it that
night.

The point is, the soup can add a gravy "comfort food" flavor to many
kinds of meals and it's quick and easy use. That makes it a staple in
my kitchen as well as my galley.

Fair Winds,
Barb

s/y Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Silvar Beitel > wrote:

> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>
> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
> fairly disgusting.
>
> However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
> it, I'm wondering if there
> aren't some reasonable uses for it.
>
> I did a batch of the standard Green Bean Casserole (using fresh grean
> beans) for the
> Thanksgiving meal (and will sheepishly admit that I actually liked it,
> despite having
> equally disgusting French's Fried Onions in it).
>
> Now what?
>
> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

I am sure if you go to Campbell's web site, you can find recipes there
that use that soup. A dish my mom used to make is to pour a can of it
over cut up chicken pieces and roast them in the oven. Its not bad at
all that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OP here again.

Thanks for all the good input. I see a chicken/veggie/CoM casserole
in my family's future.

> Spackling prison cell walls?

That was humor. I'm only about a 6 on the food-snob-o-meter (0 = will
eat cat barf, 10 = will
eat cat barf with a truffle on top :-) )

I have a cheapo cookbook called _Favorite Brand Name Best-Loved
Casseroles_, which
I love dearly because we love casseroles. I would bet that 1/3 to 1/2
of the recipes call
for CoM or some other "Cream-of -X" soup. I will be exploring it more
thoroughly soon.

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Silvar Beitel > said:
>
>> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
>> homes, I have accummulated
>> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>>
>> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
>> fairly disgusting.

> <snip>
>
> I don't mind it as an ingredient. I don't think I'd want to eat it on
> it's own.

I totally love the stuff. Can't eat too much of it without getting a
salt headache, but I can eat it straight from the can, even. I like
it made with water or milk, and even cold mixed with milk. I'm a freak.

I posted about the chicken and rice casserole I made of my mom's. It
looks like a lot of liquid, but it's correct; using less liquid gave
me a lot of undercooked or uncooked rice. Use a BIG casserole dish:

(Baking dish. Six chicken thighs or a cut-up chicken, with bones.
Garlic powder. A layer of sliced
onions. Pour a mixture of the soup -- One can EACH of cream of
mushroom, cream of chicken, and cream of celery, or any combination
of 3 cans total -- some pepper, 3 cans of water, 3
cans of milk, and 2 cups of uncooked white rice on top. Sprinkle
paprika on top. Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes, until the chicken
doesn't bleed when you pierce it.)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> (Baking dish. Six chicken thighs or a cut-up chicken, with bones. Garlic
> powder. A layer of sliced
> onions. Pour a mixture of the soup -- One can EACH of cream of
> mushroom, cream of chicken, and cream of celery, or any combination of 3
> cans total -- some pepper, 3 cans of water, 3
> cans of milk, and 2 cups of uncooked white rice on top. Sprinkle
> paprika on top. Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes, until the chicken
> doesn't bleed when you pierce it.)

Sorry. Meant to say that 60-90 minutes is probably more appropriate,
depending on your oven.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

It makes an OK soup for lunch on Saturdays.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 4:03 pm, Serene > wrote:
> Little Malice wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, Silvar Beitel > said:

> >> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> >> homes, I have accummulated
> >> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.

> >> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
> >> fairly disgusting.

> > <snip>

> > I don't mind it as an ingredient. I don't think I'd want to eat it on
> > it's own.

> I totally love the stuff. Can't eat too much of it without getting a
> salt headache, but I can eat it straight from the can, even. I like
> it made with water or milk, and even cold mixed with milk. I'm a freak.
>
> I posted about the chicken and rice casserole I made of my mom's. It
> looks like a lot of liquid, but it's correct; using less liquid gave
> me a lot of undercooked or uncooked rice. Use a BIG casserole dish:
>
> (Baking dish. Six chicken thighs or a cut-up chicken, with bones.
> Garlic powder. A layer of sliced
> onions. Pour a mixture of the soup -- One can EACH of cream of
> mushroom, cream of chicken, and cream of celery, or any combination
> of 3 cans total -- some pepper, 3 cans of water, 3
> cans of milk, and 2 cups of uncooked white rice on top. Sprinkle
> paprika on top. Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes, until the chicken
> doesn't bleed when you pierce it.)

No wonder people in the USA are more obese than in the 50s and 60s.
That's the kind of crap that middle income White housewives served for
dinner. Who'd want to overeat?

> Serene

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> Being the designated family cleaner-outer of deceased relatives'
> homes, I have accummulated
> 8 or 10 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup in my own pantry.
>
> Now, my own opinion of the stuff is probably similar to yours: it's
> fairly disgusting.
>
> However, before I take the time and trouble to find a place to donate
> it, I'm wondering if there
> aren't some reasonable uses for it.
>
> I did a batch of the standard Green Bean Casserole (using fresh grean
> beans) for the
> Thanksgiving meal (and will sheepishly admit that I actually liked it,
> despite having
> equally disgusting French's Fried Onions in it).
>
> Now what?
>
> Make it disappear into a nicer mushroom soup recipe?
> Casseroles? (Name it, I'm there.)
> Spackling prison cell walls?
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Tater Tot hot dish.
or
saute some onions, brown some pork chops, pour the soup over, put in
oven.
or
pot roast, lipton onion soup, cream of mushroom soup

Or if you are too snobby to choke it down, the local food shelf would
love to have it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You can use it to make chicken, turkey or tuna (or even ham)
casserole. Dice 2 cups of leftover chicken, turkey or ham, or drain 2
cans of tuna.
Cook 8 ounces of medium width egg noodles until "almost" cooked
through.
Drain well. Return to the pot. Add the meat to the noodles. Stir in a
16 oz bag of frozen peas and carrots. Chopped raw veggies can also go
in: celery, onion, etc.
Stir in 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup and parmasan cheese if
desired. If you want additional flavor, stir in some spices (chives,
garlic, dill etc)

Pour into a buttered 9x13 baking casserole dish.
Top with some buttered bread crumbs mixed with more parma cheese.
Bake until bubbly, 35-45 minutes at 350.