Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Saving containers

Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
cruddy margarine tubs.

Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
jar that's joining the jar collection.

I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 26, 9:49 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
[snip]
> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>
> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...

I use small jars for some marinades and salad dressings -- put all the
ingredients in, put top on securely, and shake like crazy. Sometimes
that works easier than a lot of whisking. I have used saved spice
jars for storing excess when I've brought in too much thyme or
rosemary from the garden. Haven't had a Gerber baby food jar for
decades. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Nov 26, 9:49 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> [snip]
>> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
>> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
>> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
>> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
>> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>>
>> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...
>>

> I use small jars for some marinades and salad dressings -- put all the
> ingredients in, put top on securely, and shake like crazy. Sometimes
> that works easier than a lot of whisking. I have used saved spice
> jars for storing excess when I've brought in too much thyme or
> rosemary from the garden. Haven't had a Gerber baby food jar for
> decades. -aem

I keep wide mouth or larger jars for any pan drippings or juices I don't
want to pour down the drain or into the trash directly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
> cruddy margarine tubs.
>
> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>
> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...

Old baby food jars make excellent containers for screws, nuts, bolts
etc. in the shed /garage/store room (sorry not food related) according to DH
I chuck old spice jars away - my bad
I have no idea what a 'Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam jar' looks
like - but it sounds like it's worth keeping...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
> cruddy margarine tubs.
>
> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>
> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...
>
> nancy

I save peanut butter jars (for bullets), and coffee cans (for nuts &
bolts and cartridge brass and stuff.) I may have enough coffee cans
now... I've actually thrown a few out recently.

I used to save margarine tubs and mayonnaise jars (I used the mayo jars
for canning) but have recently thrown away or recycled most of them. My
nature is to hoard things, but I'm working on that; you'd think I lived
during The Depression.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
> cruddy margarine tubs.
>
> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>
> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...
>
> nancy

I zest citrus fruits even if I don't need the zest right away. I dry it
and put it in baby food jars. In my work lunch box I carry extra
peppercorns in a babyfood jar. Also when taking a salad to work for lunch
I put the salad dressing in a baby food jar.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
>> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
>> cruddy margarine tubs.
>>
>> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
>> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
>> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
>> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
>> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>>
>> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...
>>
>> nancy
>>

> I save peanut butter jars (for bullets), and coffee cans (for nuts &
> bolts and cartridge brass and stuff.) I may have enough coffee cans
> now... I've actually thrown a few out recently.
>
> I used to save margarine tubs and mayonnaise jars (I used the mayo
> jars for canning) but have recently thrown away or recycled most of
> them. My nature is to hoard things, but I'm working on that; you'd
> think I lived during The Depression.
>
> Bob

I keep 1 glass peanut butter jar for making mayo in and storing the
results.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

It'll be a sunny day in August,
when the Moon will shine that night- Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote

> On Nov 26, 9:49 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> [snip]
>> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
>> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them!

> I use small jars for some marinades and salad dressings -- put all the
> ingredients in, put top on securely, and shake like crazy.

Great idea. I want to make mayo, and Italian dressing.

> Sometimes
> that works easier than a lot of whisking. I have used saved spice
> jars for storing excess when I've brought in too much thyme or
> rosemary from the garden. Haven't had a Gerber baby food jar for
> decades.

Thanks to rfc and my cat, I just have the one. Too cute to toss.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> I keep wide mouth or larger jars for any pan drippings or juices I don't
> want to pour down the drain or into the trash directly.

There you go, I have a teacup of bacon drippings in the
refrigerator. This will save on plastic wrap.

My new hobby. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
> cruddy margarine tubs.
>
> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>
> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...
>
> nancy

I use the tubs from cool whip to freeze my spaghetti sauce and home made
soups. They are just the right size for one meal for two people. If they
get stained or mis-shapen (from dh heating them in the micro) I toss them in
the recycle bin..
......Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...

> Old baby food jars make excellent containers for screws, nuts, bolts etc.
> in the shed /garage/store room (sorry not food related) according to DH

The coolest hint I ever saw for that is to screw the lid to the
underside of the workbench/whatever, put the screws in the
jar and just screw it on. See through storage.

> I chuck old spice jars away - my bad
> I have no idea what a 'Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam jar' looks
> like - but it sounds like it's worth keeping...

I'm a sucker for glass. Stonewall Kitchen has a line of jams/etc,
that I happened upon when I was in New Hampshi
http://stonewallkitchen.com/navsubsu... erves&L2=Jams

or

http://tinyurl.com/26q9h9

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
>> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
>> cruddy margarine tubs.

> I save peanut butter jars (for bullets), and coffee cans (for nuts & bolts
> and cartridge brass and stuff.) I may have enough coffee cans now... I've
> actually thrown a few out recently.
>
> I used to save margarine tubs and mayonnaise jars (I used the mayo jars
> for canning) but have recently thrown away or recycled most of them. My
> nature is to hoard things, but I'm working on that; you'd think I lived
> during The Depression.

That's funny ... my parents were Depression kids, I know they
never got over it. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, but I
got sick of having so much stuff hanging around. I'm more ruthless.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Old baby food jars make excellent containers for screws, nuts, bolts etc.
> in the shed /garage/store room (sorry not food related) according to DH
> I chuck old spice jars away - my bad
> I have no idea what a 'Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam jar' looks
> like - but it sounds like it's worth keeping...
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

The jars and containers I save are mason jars. I pay for them, so I never
throw them away :-))
I do save yogurt containers - maybe about a half-dozen, that's it. I keep
them mostly just in case I need to encase some particulary nasty liquid-y
stuff for the trash. DH has a hard time parting with empty containers, not
me!

My great-grandmother had 9 children. She visited and stayed with most of
them for a short time each year. Her biggest piece of baggage was a
cardboard box of empty jars. Bless her heart!

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
>> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
>> cruddy margarine tubs.

> I use the tubs from cool whip to freeze my spaghetti sauce and home made
> soups. They are just the right size for one meal for two people. If they
> get stained or mis-shapen (from dh heating them in the micro) I toss them
> in
> the recycle bin..

I'm damaged from having to wash the things all the time, growing
up. I won't wash bags, either.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "zxcvbob" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
>>> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
>>> cruddy margarine tubs.

>> I save peanut butter jars (for bullets), and coffee cans (for nuts &
>> bolts and cartridge brass and stuff.) I may have enough coffee cans
>> now... I've actually thrown a few out recently.
>>
>> I used to save margarine tubs and mayonnaise jars (I used the mayo jars
>> for canning) but have recently thrown away or recycled most of them. My
>> nature is to hoard things, but I'm working on that; you'd think I lived
>> during The Depression.

When I was at Costco last week I bought Imperial sharp cheddar cheese to
make cheese straws. Other years I've been able to buy them in twos; this
year they were in threes. Anywa, made two batches of the straws and saved
the containers. I have no idea why. Maybe because it's getting close to
xmas, and they might come in handy for something. If I don't use them by
January, I'll chuck them. Honest! e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
> cruddy margarine tubs.
>
> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>
> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...

A few weeks ago I rinsed an empty McCormick's spice jar and saved it.
Yesterday I opened a cellophane package of Mexican oregano, used a
little, and I had an empty jar to store to keep the rest.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 2:00 pm, "elaine" > wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>
> . ..

> >> I save peanut butter jars (for bullets), and coffee cans (for nuts &
> >> bolts and cartridge brass and stuff.) I may have enough coffee cans
> >> now... I've actually thrown a few out recently.

> >> I used to save margarine tubs and mayonnaise jars (I used the mayo jars
> >> for canning) but have recently thrown away or recycled most of them. My
> >> nature is to hoard things, but I'm working on that; you'd think I lived
> >> during The Depression.

> When I was at Costco last week I bought Imperial sharp cheddar cheese to
> make cheese straws. Other years I've been able to buy them in twos; this
> year they were in threes. Anywa, made two batches of the straws and saved
> the containers. I have no idea why. Maybe because it's getting close to
> xmas, and they might come in handy for something. If I don't use them by
> January, I'll chuck them. Honest! e.

I like to have them for giving away food. I am always giving away
soups/sauce that I make and I never get back my good containers. I
have a bag stashed away for holidays. It's perfect! I set them out
and tell everyone to help themselves to leftovers (we do buffet).
Robin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote:
>I'm a sucker for glass. Stonewall Kitchen
> has a line of jams/etc, that I happened
> upon when I was in New Hampshi

Yes, aren't they good? My favorite is Champagne Rasberry Peach. I live
in NH and on a recent mini-vacation to Maine we visited the Stonewall
Kitchen Store, what a beautiful place. The grounds are very nicely
decorated, and you can taste test all of their products, jams, jellies,
mustards, chocolate dipping sauces, etc. They sell lots of beautiful
kitchen accessories and they have a sit down restaurant for lunch. It's
on Rt. 1, just North a few miles from the outlet malls in Kittery,
Maine. I can't wait to go back after the holidays.

Denise in NH

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

My kitchen life changed when I discovered the ZipLoc containers.

I dumped a pantry-ful of jars, plastic tubs, orphan lids, and raggy tupperware.

ZipLoc.... I love 'em.
The round lid fits all round containers.
The square lid fits all square containers.
And, they're really microwave resistant.

I guess there are "GLAD" fans out there too....

<rj>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
>> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
>> food jar, surely there's a use for that!

> I zest citrus fruits even if I don't need the zest right away.

That's a great idea, especially as I don't keep oranges around,
usually. Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:02:56 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

>On Nov 26, 9:49 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> [snip]
>> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
>> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
>> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
>> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
>> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>>
>> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...
>>

>I use small jars for some marinades and salad dressings -- put all the
>ingredients in, put top on securely, and shake like crazy. Sometimes
>that works easier than a lot of whisking.

i have two or three empty poupon mustard jars for just that purpose.
the neck is a little narrower than my tablespoon, but other than that,
it's ideal. the lids have a nice soft plastic seal on the inside.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 12:21 pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> aem > wrote in news:dc7c9b5d-c453-4c25-a11d-
> :
>

> > On Nov 26, 9:49 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> >> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
> >> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
> >> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> >> jar that's joining the jar collection.

> >> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...

> > I use small jars for some marinades and salad dressings -- put all the
> > ingredients in, put top on securely, and shake like crazy. Sometimes
> > that works easier than a lot of whisking. I have used saved spice
> > jars for storing excess when I've brought in too much thyme or
> > rosemary from the garden. Haven't had a Gerber baby food jar for
> > decades. -aem

> Being a recent grandfather 2 times over the last 5 yrs.... I have access
> to the motherload of babyfood jars.

I don't think we gave my son that stuff more than 20 times at the
most.
Not that it's not healthy. It is. Very much so, but it always
smelled so bad, so I'd make stuff fresh instead, especially carrots.
The Cuisinart got used every day back then.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:49:19 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
>Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
>cruddy margarine tubs.
>
>Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
>to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
>food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
>a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
>jar that's joining the jar collection.
>
>I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...
>
>nancy

I save larger ones for when I make salsa. The smaller ones I put pesto
in. Louise saves a few to store seeds in over the winter. The rest
get tossed.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
> cruddy margarine tubs.
>
> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>
> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...
>
> nancy

My Ma uses jars from just about everything...spaghetti sauce seems to be a
favorite...to keep leftovers in, along with her Smart Balance tubs. Leftovers never
last long with my brother living there anyway ;-)

She regularly sends soup home with my (other) brothers and I in the jars too, and
says "don't worry about brining the jar back!" lol

I have a couple jars I use for non-food things. 2 hold paintbrushes, 2 more hold pens
and pencils. And then there's one in my room where I throw things like loose change,
cough drops, and whatnot. It's a forever evolving mess of stuff ;-)

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
> cruddy margarine tubs.
>
> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>
> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...

Not any more. I used to save those margarine tubs and all the jars I had
because this is what my parents did. I also had several sets of those
square refrigerator dishes because again, this is what they did.

Now I save nothing. If I need a jar, I use a canning jar. I bought some of
the plastic lids to put on them. but mostly I either cover the dish with
plastic or foil or I just put whatever it is in a plastic bag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo(R)" > wrote in message

> I don't think we gave my son that stuff more than 20 times at the
> most.
> Not that it's not healthy. It is. Very much so, but it always
> smelled so bad, so I'd make stuff fresh instead, especially carrots.
> The Cuisinart got used every day back then.

My daughter HATED baby food. I gave most of it away to a food bank. I
tried feeding it to her at home a few times. Mainly she got it at
restaurants when they didn't have any other suitable food. But when she
grabbed the bruschetta off the plate at an Italian place and began scarfing
it down, I decided I might as well give her the real stuff. She got her
teeth early and never choked on anything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message

> Old baby food jars make excellent containers for screws, nuts, bolts etc.
> in the shed /garage/store room (sorry not food related) according to DH

Are you kidding? Almost 40 years ago I worked for a company with a sheet
metal shop. I had some racks made up to hold baby food jars and mounted them
on a piece of plywood. I still have it and many of the original jars from
my kids, as well as a good selection of nuts and bolts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
> cruddy margarine tubs.

My grandmother used to have a stack of them in her pantry. We used them
for crafts sometimes.

> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>
> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...

Ellie steals many empty packages to use in her toy kitchen. I'm going to
have to go through and throw out a bunch of things that are getting
really ratty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in
:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
>> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
>> cruddy margarine tubs.
>>
>> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
>> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
>> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
>> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
>> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>>
>> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...

> Old baby food jars make excellent containers for screws, nuts, bolts
> etc. in the shed /garage/store room (sorry not food related) according
> to DH I chuck old spice jars away - my bad
> I have no idea what a 'Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam jar'
> looks like - but it sounds like it's worth keeping...

My mom uses the glass jars from marinated artichokes (we go through a
case of 12, probably, in a year) for the tool area. She also uses them
for sweing stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in news:5r0gn0F125rvvU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
>> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
>> cruddy margarine tubs.
>>
>> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
>> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
>> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
>> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
>> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>>
>> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...
>>
>> nancy
>>

> I save peanut butter jars (for bullets), and coffee cans (for nuts &
> bolts and cartridge brass and stuff.) I may have enough coffee cans
> now... I've actually thrown a few out recently.
>
> I used to save margarine tubs and mayonnaise jars (I used the mayo

jars
> for canning) but have recently thrown away or recycled most of them.

My
> nature is to hoard things, but I'm working on that; you'd think I

lived
> during The Depression.
>
> Bob

My grandmother hoards *everything*. Her house is scary... I've seen food
in her house older than me. My father has gone through and tried to
throw things away, but all she will let him do it organize the nasty old
jars and cans in the basement, and then she complains that he's throwing
away perfectly good food. Meanwhile, she keeps buying whatever is a deal
atthe grocery store. My dad says it's from growing up during the
Depression, but I think she's just nuts. I am a bit of a hoarder, too,
and I hate passing up a good deal, but I'll purge once in a while, and I
try to keep my stuff organized. She, on the other hand, has had bathtubs
filled with newspapers (most unread), entire rooms made impassable
because of all the junk piled up, etc.
I lived with her for a few months at the end of my senior year of high
school. ::shudder::

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 12:49�pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Not long ago Cathy put up a survey, do you save containers.
> Not me, brings back memories of my mother hoarding those
> cruddy margarine tubs.
>
> Since then, things have changed. �Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> to put in them. �But I'm not tossing them! �I have that Gerber baby
> food jar, surely there's a use for that! �A Penzeys spice jar. �Now,
> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> jar that's joining the jar collection.
>
> I have to start collecting stuff to put into them ...

I tend to save tall narrow glass jars like Gold's horseradish
bottles, those occupy little shelf space (good for spices), and I
save those flattened glass jars they use for honey for my home made
mustards, and lately I've been hoarding Hellman's mayo jars, the glass
ones... won't be too long they'll all be plastic, I like glass mayo
jars for all sorts of things, dried beans, small soup pasta, and
pickled peppers. I don't save plastic food containers, I rather buy
new... I like the rectangular ones for freezing stuff, those take up
much less freezer space than round ones. Pretty soon nothing will be
packaged in glass, glass jars will become a rarity... even
refrigerasted pickled are now in plastic jars, the famous Gulden's
mustasrd jar is no longer glass, and Stan must be appalled thst Heinz
ketchup no longer comes in glass bottles, I know I am, I hate those
plastic bottles... the glass Heinz ketchup bottle is an icon... I
still remember when the glass Heinz ketchup bottle didn't have a screw
cap, it was corked like a wine bottle, then they came out with a metal
flip top cap with a wire tab. The food world is going to hell in a
hand basket... wtf is a hand basket?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:

:"aem" > wrote
:> rosemary from the garden. Haven't had a Gerber baby food jar for
:> decades.

:Thanks to rfc and my cat, I just have the one. Too cute to toss.

I keep yeast in one. I buy dried yeast by the pound, which comes in
an awkward bag, especially since I use yeast by the teaspoon or so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:14:39 -0700, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>My kitchen life changed when I discovered the ZipLoc containers.
>
>I dumped a pantry-ful of jars, plastic tubs, orphan lids, and raggy tupperware.
>
>ZipLoc.... I love 'em.
>The round lid fits all round containers.
>The square lid fits all square containers.
>And, they're really microwave resistant.
>
>I guess there are "GLAD" fans out there too....
>
><rj>

see, but then you have 'well, i don't want to use my 'good' zip-locks,
so i'll use this cruddy old margarine tub...'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Scheidt wrote:
> Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> :"aem" > wrote
> :> rosemary from the garden. Haven't had a Gerber baby food jar for
> :> decades.
>
> :Thanks to rfc and my cat, I just have the one. Too cute to toss.
>
> I keep yeast in one. I buy dried yeast by the pound, which comes in
> an awkward bag, especially since I use yeast by the teaspoon or so.

I keep my yeast in an old Fleischmann's jar from before I knew you
could buy yeast in bulk.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cshenk" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" wrote
>
>> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
>> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
>> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
>> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
>> jar that's joining the jar collection.

> Hi Nancy! I can give you a use for the small ones (not sure of the Jam
> jar size). If you have a garage with a work bench, aint it a pain to find
> a neat way to store all them little nails and such? Ours has an overhead
> shelf. We nailed the lids of baby jars up there neatly, fill with them
> 'little bits' and screw them to the lids. Now we can easily see what we
> need yet its neatly out of the way.

Ha, so funny, that's the hint I thought was so clever. I do have
a gazillion things like that to store, it'll probably wind up in my
tool box.

> Since I hate waste and filling landfill uselessly, I reuse any suitable
> sized jar instead of purchasing plastic keepers. Jars of soup go to
> neighbors in them, stuff like that.

Yeah, most of my jars go to recycling. It gets to be too much
trying to save everything, for me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote

> Since then, things have changed. Now I have 3 jars and nothing
> to put in them. But I'm not tossing them! I have that Gerber baby
> food jar, surely there's a use for that! A Penzeys spice jar. Now,
> a Stonewall Kitchen golden raspberry jam (damn was that stuff good!)
> jar that's joining the jar collection.

Hi Nancy! I can give you a use for the small ones (not sure of the Jam jar
size). If you have a garage with a work bench, aint it a pain to find a
neat way to store all them little nails and such? Ours has an overhead
shelf. We nailed the lids of baby jars up there neatly, fill with them
'little bits' and screw them to the lids. Now we can easily see what we
need yet its neatly out of the way.

Since I hate waste and filling landfill uselessly, I reuse any suitable
sized jar instead of purchasing plastic keepers. Jars of soup go to
neighbors in them, stuff like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote
> "Cshenk" wrote

>> Hi Nancy! I can give you a use for the small ones (not sure of the Jam
>> jar size). If you have a garage with a work bench, aint it a pain to
>> find a neat way to store all them little nails and such? Ours has an
>> overhead shelf. We nailed the lids of baby jars up there neatly, fill
>> with them 'little bits' and screw them to the lids. Now we can easily
>> see what we need yet its neatly out of the way.

> Ha, so funny, that's the hint I thought was so clever. I do have
> a gazillion things like that to store, it'll probably wind up in my
> tool box.

I think we saw that one somplace with a close use, and made it up with all
the baby jars we had when Charlotte was that age. Works and we are looking
for a friend now with a baby food jar load to glom onto <grin>. Our renters
disappeared most of the jars we had screwed up there. 7 on each side, and
20 across <g>. We kinda grew the idea as we used it.

Big-ish plastic Jiffy peanutbutter jars along the back held candlemaking
wicks and dyes. Along the sides were various bolts and nuts. Front was
nails and whatnot. Just unscrew what you need then put it back up. Much
easier to find than hunting the bottom of a toolbox.

>> Since I hate waste and filling landfill uselessly, I reuse any suitable
>> sized jar instead of purchasing plastic keepers. Jars of soup go to
>> neighbors in them, stuff like that.

> Yeah, most of my jars go to recycling. It gets to be too much
> trying to save everything, for me.

Oh sure, we dont save everthing either once we have a load but as we just
got here, we are still saving them all. I'm actually buying some sizes of
foods with reuse of the jar in mind at this stage.

used plastic containers Wm Watt Preserving 4 14-12-2007 12:17 PM
what containers should I use for aging? alien Winemaking 7 25-10-2004 01:34 AM
Finally found a good alternative for freezer containers! CPET containers anita Preserving 0 15-01-2004 07:44 AM
Containers WoWers Tea 4 21-12-2003 01:49 PM
Looking for containers McLemore Tea 3 08-10-2003 09:41 PM