Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default grinding black mustard seed?

How do you grind your mustard seed?
coffee grinder, blender, the old fashion way? Would a peanut butter
maker/ grinder work? TIA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:01:40 +0100, pamjd > wrote:

> How do you grind your mustard seed?
> coffee grinder, blender, the old fashion way? Would a peanut butter
> maker/ grinder work? TIA

"Note: if you use a coffee grinder to grind mustard seed, be sure to wash
the washable parts and clean the electrical parts by wiping it out,
grinding dry bread in it and wiping it out again both before and after
grinding the mustar." [Source:
http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/h...emustard.html]

Best regards,
//Herbert

--
Cheese and Onion Pie
http://kitchen.gandraxa.com/kitchen/copie.asp
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Herbert wrote on Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:38:24 +0100:

??>> How do you grind your mustard seed?
??>> coffee grinder, blender, the old fashion way? Would a
??>> peanut butter maker/ grinder work? TIA

HG> "Note: if you use a coffee grinder to grind mustard seed,
HG> be sure to wash the washable parts and clean the
HG> electrical parts by wiping it out, grinding dry bread in
HG> it and wiping it out again both before and after grinding
HG> the mustar." [Source:
http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/h...emustard.html]

HG> Best regards,
HG> //Herbert

I have a simple spinning-blade coffee grinder that is reserved
for spices and it grinds mustard seed very well. Of course, it
is necessary to wipe it it out with a damp or dry paper towel to
avoid mixing flavors since none of the grinder is washable. . I
do not use the spice grinder for coffee. Come to think of it, I
don't grind mustard seed much since my major use is in Indian
food and I just heat it to popping in a dry pan.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Herbert wrote on Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:38:24 +0100:
>
> ??>> How do you grind your mustard seed?
> ??>> coffee grinder, blender, the old fashion way? Would a
> ??>> peanut butter maker/ grinder work? TIA
>
> HG> "Note: if you use a coffee grinder to grind mustard seed,
> HG> be sure to wash the washable parts and clean the
> HG> electrical parts by wiping it out, grinding dry bread in
> HG> it and wiping it out again both before and after grinding
> HG> the mustar." [Source:
> http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/h...emustard.html]
>
> HG> Best regards,
> HG> //Herbert
>
> I have a simple spinning-blade coffee grinder that is reserved for spices
> and it grinds mustard seed very well. Of course, it is necessary to wipe
> it it out with a damp or dry paper towel to avoid mixing flavors since
> none of the grinder is washable. . I do not use the spice grinder for
> coffee. Come to think of it, I don't grind mustard seed much since my
> major use is in Indian food and I just heat it to popping in a dry pan.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

I've not heard/seen any recipe grind 'black' mustard seed, but I've not seen
'everything.' ;-))

I agree with James that when I think of black mustard seed, visually it's
a-popping.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote:

> I have a simple spinning-blade coffee grinder.

That's not any kind of grinder, it's a mini chopper like a tiny food
processor... it's probably the most useless contraption in your
kitchen and should be tossed in the trash. Those things ruin spices
(ruins coffee too), the texture produced is all wrong and the spices
are over heated which destroys volatile oils so you may as well buy
old ground spices off the stupidmarket shelf. Mustard especially
needs to be milled with a slow burr grinder or much of it's potentcy
will be lost, then you may as well buy your prepared mustard off the
stupidmarket shelves. To grind mustard seed you really need a grain
mill... a burr type coffee grinder won't work with the much smaller
mustard seeds and in fact mustard seeds being much harder and more
abrasive than coffee beans will ruin that type of burr. You can crush
mustard seeds with a mortar and pestal but that's a lot of labor to
get enough to make it worth while. For the quantity most folks need
at home they're much better off buying freshly ground high quality
seeds from Penzeys rather than investing in a quality grain mill.
Penzeys sells both powdered and crushed and various types including
the hot oriental type, and prices are excellent, and they charge the
same for ground as whole so your grinding is free and they use very
high quality and very expensive commercial mills that very few would
be willing to invest in for home use. Btw, be careful with purchasing
ground mustard off stupidmarket shelves, many are not pure mustard,
like Coleman's, they contain wheat flour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message

> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
>

>> I've not heard/seen any recipe grind 'black' mustard seed,
>> but I've not seen 'everything.' ;-))
>>
>> I agree with James that when I think of black mustard seed,
>> visually it's a-popping.
>> Dee Dee

> For what it's worth, me too.
>
> I have a coffee grinder that I reserve for grinding spices,
> although it is not ideal.

Just for interest Janet, and I'm not being sarcastic, what is
your "ideal" spice grinder?

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
>>

>>> I've not heard/seen any recipe grind 'black' mustard seed,
>>> but I've not seen 'everything.' ;-))
>>>
>>> I agree with James that when I think of black mustard seed,
>>> visually it's a-popping.
>>> Dee Dee

>> For what it's worth, me too.
>>
>> I have a coffee grinder that I reserve for grinding spices,
>> although it is not ideal.
>>

> Just for interest Janet, and I'm not being sarcastic, what is
> your "ideal" spice grinder?

I use a maual coffee grinder that I turn using a electric drill. It has
teeth instead of a blade...somewhat like a oversized pepper grinder.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 3:43�pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote innews:zrj2j.13015$ng.9810@trnddc08:
>

> > "Janet" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> For what it's worth, me too.

> >> I have a coffee grinder that I reserve for grinding spices,
> >> although it is not ideal.

> > Just for interest Janet, and I'm not being sarcastic, what is
> > your "ideal" spice grinder?

> I use a maual coffee grinder that I turn using a electric drill. It has
> teeth instead of a blade...somewhat like a oversized pepper grinder.

Those olde tyme coffee mills are designed for coffee beans and a
relatively coarse grind, don't those tiny mustard seeds mostly pass
through only partially ground, I doubt it will produce a powder. And
I assume you are using a variable speed drill motor at a very low RPM.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote on Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:43:35 GMT:

??>> "Janet" > wrote in message
??>> ...
??>>>
??>>> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
??>>> ...
??>>>
??>>>> I've not heard/seen any recipe grind 'black' mustard
??>>>> seed, but I've not seen 'everything.' ;-))
??>>>>
??>>>> I agree with James that when I think of black mustard
??>>>> seed, visually it's a-popping. Dee Dee
??>>>
??>>> For what it's worth, me too.
??>>>
??>>> I have a coffee grinder that I reserve for grinding
??>>> spices, although it is not ideal.
??>>>
??>> Just for interest Janet, and I'm not being sarcastic, what
??>> is your "ideal" spice grinder?
??>>
h> I use a maual coffee grinder that I turn using a electric
h> drill. It has teeth instead of a blade...somewhat like a
h> oversized pepper grinder.

Complicated! But at least it's not a mortar and pestle, which as
a chemist, I still know how to use and detest!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd > wrote:

> How do you grind your mustard seed?

Depending on the quantity needed, just crush it in a mortar with a
pestle.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 25 Nov 2007 07:44:35p, Janet meant to say...

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message

>>> For what it's worth, me too.
>>>
>>> I have a coffee grinder that I reserve for grinding spices, although
>>> it is not ideal.
>>>

>> Just for interest Janet, and I'm not being sarcastic, what is your
>> "ideal" spice grinder?
>>

>> --
>> Jim Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland

> Well, the coffee grinder I use doesn't do a wonderful job. It doesn't
> "grind" finely enough before getting rather hot. So perhaps something
> similarly sized with sharper blades than is normal for a coffee grinder
> would be better? But I've tried using a "mini-chop" kind of thing,--both
> the original Cuisinart thing and the second generation (which was
> superior, although it died too young <G>) and a cheap knockoff that I
> currently own but never use because it's lousy--and and that generally
> doesn't do a great job either: the stuff gets flung around too much and
> not ground enough. The Cuisinart minis tended to be great for stuff like
> garlic cloves and ginger, but not good for things like coriander.
>
> So I'm really somewhat stumped, to tell you the truth. maybe what I need
> is just a better coffee grinder. This one was el-cheapo.

I use a Braun blade-type coffee grinder that I've had since 1970-something
and it does a great job. Never gets hot either.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, November(XI) 25th(XXV),2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
4wks 3hrs 45mins
The entire world is a very strange
carrot, but the farmer isn't worried
at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 1:40�am, hahabogus > wrote:
> (Victor Sack) wrote in news:1i85ot6.myrr7d1hy03juN%
> :
>
> > pamjd > wrote:

> >> How do you grind your mustard seed?

> > Depending on the quantity needed, just crush it in a mortar with a
> > pestle.

> > Victor

> they make a manual poppy seed grinder...perhaps that would fit your need?
> prices vary.

Poppy seed grinders work well but they crush seeds, they won't make
powder. For making your own prepared mustard you're much better off
buying from Penzeys, the seeds they use are high quality and fresh
plus they grind them for you for free, and grind them properly with
commercial grade mills. Also even though whole mustard seed retains
its potency for a very long time, if not properly stored they absorb
odors like a sponge. I wouldn't take bulk mustard seed from the
typical bulk spice emporium even if they gave them to me for free, I'd
only be wasting my efforts, time, and other ingredients using smelly
seeds... especially since mustard seeds are so inexpensive anyway,
mustard is the least costly of all spices. Btw, all spices absorb
odors, always buy from a reputable supplier who uses proper storage
methods and store spices properly at home, otherwise you're wasting
your money and turning out poorly flavored dishes. Always store
spices in glass or metal containers that can be sealed air tight,
never in plastic, not even plastic lids, lids should be metal or
bakelite. To store mustard glass/ceramic is best, if mustard is
stored in contact with metal (even stainless steel) the mustard is
ruined. Prepared mustard should never come in contact with metal
however so briefly, never dip metal utensils into the mustard jar, use
wood, bone, horn, ceramic, even your finger is better than a metal
utensil.

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 22:28:26 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> hahabogus wrote on Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:43:35 GMT:
>
> ??>> "Janet" > wrote in message
> ??>> ...
> ??>>>
> ??>>> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
> ??>>> ...
> ??>>>
> ??>>>> I've not heard/seen any recipe grind 'black' mustard
> ??>>>> seed, but I've not seen 'everything.' ;-))
> ??>>>>
> ??>>>> I agree with James that when I think of black mustard
> ??>>>> seed, visually it's a-popping. Dee Dee
> ??>>>
> ??>>> For what it's worth, me too.
> ??>>>
> ??>>> I have a coffee grinder that I reserve for grinding
> ??>>> spices, although it is not ideal.
> ??>>>
> ??>> Just for interest Janet, and I'm not being sarcastic, what
> ??>> is your "ideal" spice grinder?
> ??>>
> h> I use a maual coffee grinder that I turn using a electric
> h> drill. It has teeth instead of a blade...somewhat like a
> h> oversized pepper grinder.
>
>Complicated! But at least it's not a mortar and pestle, which as
>a chemist, I still know how to use and detest!
>

>James Silverton

maybe so, but for small amounts of spice, the mortar and pestle is
hard to beat.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 03:27:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sun 25 Nov 2007 07:44:35p, Janet meant to say...
>

>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message

>>> Just for interest Janet, and I'm not being sarcastic, what is your
>>> "ideal" spice grinder?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jim Silverton
>>> Potomac, Maryland

>> Well, the coffee grinder I use doesn't do a wonderful job. It doesn't
>> "grind" finely enough before getting rather hot. So perhaps something
>> similarly sized with sharper blades than is normal for a coffee grinder
>> would be better? But I've tried using a "mini-chop" kind of thing,--both
>> the original Cuisinart thing and the second generation (which was
>> superior, although it died too young <G>) and a cheap knockoff that I
>> currently own but never use because it's lousy--and and that generally
>> doesn't do a great job either: the stuff gets flung around too much and
>> not ground enough. The Cuisinart minis tended to be great for stuff like
>> garlic cloves and ginger, but not good for things like coriander.
>>
>> So I'm really somewhat stumped, to tell you the truth. maybe what I need
>> is just a better coffee grinder. This one was el-cheapo.
>>

>I use a Braun blade-type coffee grinder that I've had since 1970-something
>and it does a great job. Never gets hot either.

i have a moulinex regal coffee/spice grinder that's never seen a
coffee bean. it works pretty well, haven't tried it for mustard
seeds, but i got a bagful from penzeys that may be cruisin' for a
bruisin'.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message

> i have a moulinex regal coffee/spice grinder that's never seen a
> coffee bean. it works pretty well, haven't tried it for mustard
> seeds, but i got a bagful from penzeys that may be cruisin' for a
> bruisin'.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I'm glad yours works well. I had 3 of them and none worked very well. Then
I bought the last one and it's OK. But I don't do as much grinding now that
I've stopped cooking as much Indian food.

Different subject:

I made an order to Spice Barn, Columbus, Ohio, last Friday because I can't
seem to get to a store that sells turmeric (except in a grocery store). They
only have online ordering. They are indeed much less expensive.
I'm hoping everything I ordered will turn out ok.

Orange and Lemon Peel Granules (just to keep on hand)
Curry Powder (I know, I could make my own)
Ground Coriander
Ground chipotle (to add to beans)
Ground Turmeric
Whole Red Chilis (generic, I guess)

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:25:33 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .

>> i have a moulinex regal coffee/spice grinder that's never seen a
>> coffee bean. it works pretty well, haven't tried it for mustard
>> seeds, but i got a bagful from penzeys that may be cruisin' for a
>> bruisin'.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

>I'm glad yours works well. I had 3 of them and none worked very well. Then
>I bought the last one and it's OK. But I don't do as much grinding now that
>I've stopped cooking as much Indian food.
>

>Different subject:
>
>I made an order to Spice Barn, Columbus, Ohio, last Friday because I can't
>seem to get to a store that sells turmeric (except in a grocery store). They
>only have online ordering. They are indeed much less expensive.
>I'm hoping everything I ordered will turn out ok.
>
>Orange and Lemon Peel Granules (just to keep on hand)
>Curry Powder (I know, I could make my own)
>Ground Coriander
>Ground chipotle (to add to beans)
>Ground Turmeric
>Whole Red Chilis (generic, I guess)
>
>Dee Dee

for coriander, i have whole seeds that i put in the moulinex or the
mortar and pestle. i don't know if that would work too well if you
needed a true powder for baking (which i don't know if it's ever used
for). but marinades and such, it works pretty well.

whole red chiles (i assume you mean dried) i usually get at the asian
market. turmeric i just try to ignore.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:25:33 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> i have a moulinex regal coffee/spice grinder that's never seen a
>>> coffee bean. it works pretty well, haven't tried it for mustard
>>> seeds, but i got a bagful from penzeys that may be cruisin' for a
>>> bruisin'.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake
>>>

>>I'm glad yours works well. I had 3 of them and none worked very well.
>>Then
>>I bought the last one and it's OK. But I don't do as much grinding now
>>that
>>I've stopped cooking as much Indian food.
>>

>>Different subject:
>>
>>I made an order to Spice Barn, Columbus, Ohio, last Friday because I
>>can't
>>seem to get to a store that sells turmeric (except in a grocery store).
>>They
>>only have online ordering. They are indeed much less expensive.
>>I'm hoping everything I ordered will turn out ok.
>>
>>Orange and Lemon Peel Granules (just to keep on hand)
>>Curry Powder (I know, I could make my own)
>>Ground Coriander
>>Ground chipotle (to add to beans)
>>Ground Turmeric
>>Whole Red Chilis (generic, I guess)
>>
>>Dee Dee
>>

> for coriander, i have whole seeds that i put in the moulinex or the
> mortar and pestle. i don't know if that would work too well if you
> needed a true powder for baking (which i don't know if it's ever used
> for). but marinades and such, it works pretty well.
>
> whole red chiles (i assume you mean dried) i usually get at the asian
> market. turmeric i just try to ignore.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Turmeric is something that just the mention of makes me salivate at the
mention of it -- just like asafoetida --

Yes, I've tried to grind coriander myself, but I prefer the already ground
when called for.

I usually get these things at the asian market, too -- just can't seem to
get there of late.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> So I'm really somewhat stumped, to tell you the truth. maybe what I need
is
> just a better coffee grinder. This one was el-cheapo.

wouldn't a plain old peppermill work?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 25, 2007 at 8:01:40 AM UTC-7, pamjd wrote:
> How do you grind your mustard seed?
> coffee grinder, blender, the old fashion way? Would a peanut butter
> maker/ grinder work? TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 12:56:59 -0000, Janet wrote:

> I fry mustard seeds in a little hot butter or oil, just like popping
> corn. As soon as they start pinging (just a few seconds) take them off
> the heat and stir them through steamed buttered carrots or cabbage.

Interesting about the ability to pop. I wonder what other seeds do this.

I also have a small question about your choice of buttered vegetable you
use. Mustard is in the family Brassicaceae:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassicaceae

This family is in the order Brassicales:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassicales

All plants in the order produce glucosinolate, which gives them a sort of
consistent taste profile.

It seems to me that your vegetable choice should either be:

1) for consistency, in family (rutabaga, cabbage, cauliflower, brocoli,
radish, nappa) or in order (papaya, caper, nasturnium).

2) for contrast, completely out of order (carrot, beets, corn, peas, beans,
etc.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 8:59:55 AM UTC-5, Mike_Duffy wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 12:56:59 -0000, Janet wrote:
>
> > I fry mustard seeds in a little hot butter or oil, just like popping
> > corn. As soon as they start pinging (just a few seconds) take them off
> > the heat and stir them through steamed buttered carrots or cabbage.

> Interesting about the ability to pop. I wonder what other seeds do this.
>

> I also have a small question about your choice of buttered vegetable you
> use. Mustard is in the family Brassicaceae:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassicaceae
>
> This family is in the order Brassicales:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassicales
>
> All plants in the order produce glucosinolate, which gives them a sort of
> consistent taste profile.
>
> It seems to me that your vegetable choice should either be:
>
> 1) for consistency, in family (rutabaga, cabbage, cauliflower, brocoli,
> radish, nappa) or in order (papaya, caper, nasturnium).
>
> 2) for contrast, completely out of order (carrot, beets, corn, peas, beans,
> etc.)

It doesn't need to be one thing or the other. It could be case 1 sometimes
and case 2 other times.

Last week I had cabbage and charnushka, an example of case 2.

Cindy Hamilton