Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2007-11-23) 200th survey on the RFC site: Excess baggage?

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now (or not)

Inspired by:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11..._compensation/
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now (or not)
>
> Inspired by:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11..._compensation/

I'm first... yippeee... I get another hat!

So, are you going to charge me extra, I have an extra large head (8
1/2)... actually I have two extra large heads! heheh

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> I'm first... yippeee... I get another hat!
>
> So, are you going to charge me extra, I have an extra large head (8
> 1/2)... actually I have two extra large heads! heheh

You can have two (hats that is) free of charge

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon said...

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now (or not)
>>
>> Inspired by:
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11..._compensation/

> I'm first... yippeee... I get another hat!
>
> So, are you going to charge me extra, I have an extra large head (8
> 1/2)... actually I have two extra large heads! heheh
>
> Sheldon

Extra large heads and tons of air in both.

In your headcase, just wear one on one head. Let your other grasp reality
for awhile.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 2:07�pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> Sheldon said...
>

> > ChattyCathy wrote:
> >>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> >> Vote now (or not)

> >> Inspired by:

> >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11..._compensation/

> > I'm first... yippeee... I get another hat!

> > So, are you going to charge me extra, I have an extra large head (8
> > 1/2)... actually I have two extra large heads! heheh

> > Sheldon

> Extra large heads and tons of air in both.
>
> In your headcase, just wear one on one head. Let your other grasp reality
> for awhile.
>
> Andy Sore Head

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 2:06�pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > I'm first... yippeee... I get another hat!

> > So, are you going to charge me extra, I have an extra large head (8
> > 1/2)... actually I have two extra large heads! heheh

> You can have two (hats that is) free of charge

Oh, goody.... which should I pick... I think the girls would be more
attracted to me with that propeller on my head... and what do you
think of that French tiara, do you think that would tickle your
fancy?

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon said...

> On Nov 23, 2:07�pm, Andy <q> wrote:
>> Sheldon said...

>> > I'm first... yippeee... I get another hat!

>> > So, are you going to charge me extra, I have an extra large head (8
>> > 1/2)... actually I have two extra large heads! heheh

>> > Sheldon

>> Extra large heads and tons of air in both.
>>
>> In your headcase, just wear one on one head. Let your other grasp

reality
>> for awhile.
>>
>> Andy Sore Head

OH, ONLY SHELDON CAN HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!

Geez, if I'd known sooner.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now (or not)
>
> Inspired by:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11..._compensation/

I don't know about paying extra. I felt bad for a man who sat next to me on
a flight last year. The seatbelt wouldn't fit over his girth. He had to
have the flight attendant bring him an "extension".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now (or not)

If an overweight person is large enough to occupy 1 1/2 seats, leaving
me with the "leftover" half, I would be most irate. This has never
happened to me but my husband, who flies often, has often had to "share"
his seat with a biggie, sometimes one on either side.

Flight attendants are usually sympathetic and will reseat him if (and
that's an iffy "IF") there are any spare seats.

I'd like to see all the large people seated together, forced to get
three huge people into a normal sized row. After a few flights like
that they might be more inclined to buy two seats or fly first class....

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester said...

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now (or not)
>>

> If an overweight person is large enough to occupy 1 1/2 seats, leaving
> me with the "leftover" half, I would be most irate. This has never
> happened to me but my husband, who flies often, has often had to "share"
> his seat with a biggie, sometimes one on either side.
>
> Flight attendants are usually sympathetic and will reseat him if (and
> that's an iffy "IF") there are any spare seats.
>
> I'd like to see all the large people seated together, forced to get
> three huge people into a normal sized row. After a few flights like
> that they might be more inclined to buy two seats or fly first class....
>
> gloria p

Has nobody notice that they've narrowed up the seats to fit more people?

The funniest time was when a heavy woman across my aisle complained about
the food service. She was very agitated.

I tapped her arm and looked her square in the eye and said "think of the
people in luggage!"

She broke out laughing and settled down.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester > wrote:

>If an overweight person is large enough to occupy 1 1/2 seats, leaving
>me with the "leftover" half, I would be most irate.

Irate at who -- the airline, or the larger than average individual?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l > wrote:

> I told the stewardess that the seating arrangement was not
> acceptable for the 4 hour STL to SFO. The stewardesses reply
> was that there were no other seats available, though I could
> see one empty seat in 1st class. I mentioned the 1st Class seat
> and the stewardess said she would take it up with the captain;
> a couple of minutes later she came back and told the lady she
> could move to 1st Class. I was major PO'ed and suggested that,
> as a Gold frequent flyer perhaps the 1st Class upgrade should
> be given to me - boy, the over-large lady went ballistic when
> they did decide that it would be better to put me upfront.

You'll notice this is an airline that is no longer in business.

Telling someone they can move to first class, then reneging,
is a no-no (even if it was the wrong decision).

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > Vote now (or not)

> If an overweight person is large enough to occupy 1 1/2 seats, leaving
> me with the "leftover" half, I would be most irate. �This has never
> happened to me but my husband, who flies often, has often had to "share"
> his seat with a biggie, sometimes one on either side.
>
> Flight attendants are usually sympathetic and will reseat him if (and
> that's an iffy "IF") there are any spare seats.
>
> I'd like to see all the large people seated together, forced to get
> three huge people into a normal sized row. �After a few flights like
> that they might be more inclined to buy two seats or fly first class....

But then they'd need to be careful to balance the load port/starboard
lest the plane list... personally I think those large economy sized
passengers, those who require a seat belt extention, should pay double
and get two seats, or have the option to fly first class (if they
fit), or get on a scale to calculate cost and travel in baggage. And
why not, if someone takes up more than one seat then they need to pay
for the second seat... either that or the airlines fly special planes
with all oversized seats and charge fares accordingly. When I go to
the post office and they don't weigh my package then the obese can fly
for the same 41cent stamp as regular mail.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:24:46 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>Has nobody notice that they've narrowed up the seats to fit more people?

I certainly have! It was uncomfortable before, now it's torture. I
usually ask for an isle seat so I don't feel so claustrophobic.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> If an overweight person is large enough to occupy 1 1/2 seats, leaving
> me with the "leftover" half, I would be most irate. This has never
> happened to me but my husband, who flies often, has often had to "share"
> his seat with a biggie, sometimes one on either side.
>
> Flight attendants are usually sympathetic and will reseat him if (and
> that's an iffy "IF") there are any spare seats.
>
> I'd like to see all the large people seated together, forced to get
> three huge people into a normal sized row. After a few flights like
> that they might be more inclined to buy two seats or fly first class....

This topic has passed through some of the travel groups several times and
there are a lot of people there who just have a bad attitude about fat and
consider anyone over some arbitrary number to be obese.

I am a big guy. I don't have any trouble getting into the seats, but my
shoulders are going to be sticking out. The biggest problem is that the
seats are just too damned small and have no leg room. Some airlines have
roomier seats than others. The first time I went to Europe was with Air
Transat and it was like 8 hours in a sardine can. The next time we crossed
the Atlantic I paid a lot extra to fly KLM and found the seating just as
cramped. The last time, I went with Air Canada and the seats were fine.
When I flew Continental to Colorado, in two legs, seating was fine on both
planes.
Some airlines, with very cheap rates, upgrade to roomier seats for a small
surcharge.

The whiners also complain about the extra weight and the fuel it takes.
That doesn't make a lot of sense when you consider that some routes take
people way out of their way. When I was looking for a flight from her to
Colorado, a lot of the options involved back tracking to NYC or even
Atlanta. On a recent trip from Buffalo to SC, my brother had to make a
connection in Chicago. I doubt that a few extra pounds makes up for flying
hundreds of miles out of the way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Has nobody notice that they've narrowed up the seats to fit more people?

They not only narrowed the seats. The shortened the leg room. I am 6 feet
tall, but have short legs, and I don't have enough led room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Vote now (or not)
> >

> If an overweight person is large enough to occupy 1 1/2 seats, leaving
> me with the "leftover" half, I would be most irate. This has never
> happened to me but my husband, who flies often, has often had to "share"
> his seat with a biggie, sometimes one on either side.
>
> Flight attendants are usually sympathetic and will reseat him if (and
> that's an iffy "IF") there are any spare seats.
>
> I'd like to see all the large people seated together, forced to get
> three huge people into a normal sized row. After a few flights like
> that they might be more inclined to buy two seats or fly first class....

Or go on a diet.

That was cruel, but true.

I worked with a very heavy woman. For three months, she had to fly
every week, roundtrip. She told me that she was very thankful when she
got two seats (it was a very small plane). You might want to think
about how it feels for the heavy person. It isn't any more pleasant for
them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cshenk wrote:

> While some folks who are overweight just eat alot or eat alot and of the
> wrong things (portion control issues), many actually eat the same as their
> thinner counterparts.

or they just eat "alittle" (just teasin you about the "alot")
But seriously, some really fat people can't lose weight even on a
starvation diet. It is freaky how it works some times. For them they
sometimes have to eat *more* to lose weight!

One thing that annoys me is when I hear or read someone claim they're
fat because of thyroid problems. As if they're helpless. Some slowing of
the metabolism is certainly a result of hypothyroidism, but a majority
of the problem is the "hand to mouth" disease.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Has nobody notice that they've narrowed up the seats to fit more
> people?

I have to agree, plane seating has shrunk quite a lot since the first
time I flew in1960. Back then I thought the seats were very spacious,
I really only needed about 3/4 of my seat width and I think they were
large enough to accomodate most obese people. But seating everywhere
has shrunk, for sporting events, movie theaters, even doctor's waiting
room seating seems more child size, and especially restaurant
seating... used to be a booth had tons of room but I've noticed of
late that they jam in so many tables along a wall that even a very
thin person can barely fit between the seat back and the table... and
the way the booths are constructed now with common backs to save space
if the person behind you is fidgety you're in big trouble. And my
biggest gripe is automobile seating, they've shrunk the cars so much
that that most vehicles can't accomodate average sized people
comfortably, and I'm talking what they call full size vehicles...
compared to what I remember today's cars are like those minis you see
at a circus. Just last week a friend came to visit in a brand new
cadilac, I asked if I could sit in it... ya know, the thing was too
small, almost felt like I was squeezed into my '64 TR4A when I was 21
years old and weighed 140 pounds and was much more agile than I am now
at 180 pounds. I couldn't believe that I didn't fit comfortably in a
Cadilac... but I owned a 1978 Biarritz that was more comfy than
anyone's living room sofa.

Perhaps the answer is to sell airplane seating by the inch... if all
you need is a 20 inch width why should you have to pay for more... and
why should small kids have to pay for inches they can't occupy... so
let the biggies buy how many inches they need. And with today's
computers it should be nothing to have a program that assigns seats
accordingly so that the plane remains balanced.

Now has anyone noticed how office furniture seating has shrunk, the
darn computer chair seats are too narrow between the arms and not deep
enough front to back, the cushioning is awful, and the wheel base is
friggin' plastic, the openings that hold the wheels crack... and price
makes no difference, a $500 chair is no better quality than a $100
chair... most PC chairs are labeled for Moderate Use, that means like
no more than 4 hours a day... now you all know that most of us are at
their PCs more than twice that every day. The chair I have now is
expensive, cost me $1,100... you read it right...

http://www.businesschairs.com/mi24inusech31.html

....and everything is nice, it's very comfy and made very well, except
that after 6 months the seat cushioning kinda flattened out and it was
no longer comfortable. The manufacturer would do nothing for me. So
I bought a seat cushion. At first I thought a car seat cushion would
work so I searched, they were expensive for what they were and didn't
look like much. Then in my surfing I came upon wheelchair cushions
(hadn't thought of that), I bought one, it's wonderful.

Anyone who needs more comfort at their PC this is it:

http://tinyurl.com/2nvp6e

http://www.amazon.com/x18-WHEELCHAIR...5867504&sr=8-2

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote

> I don't know about paying extra. I felt bad for a man who sat next to me
> on
> a flight last year. The seatbelt wouldn't fit over his girth. He had to
> have the flight attendant bring him an "extension".

I do not feel they should pay extra, but had to sit once with a lady who
couldnt 'fit' in the seat without removing the 'arm' between us. It was a
packed plane so no extra seats. When you reserve a seat, the airline doesnt
know your size.

She was very nice and we chatted the whole time, but I was happy when we got
off to be able to breathe and was rather 'squished' feeling (grin).

The survey didnt cover situations like that. If a person literally needs 2
seats, they should have 2 assigned and not squish a smaller person in with
the arm raised up. If that means to pay more due to 2 seats assigned, thats
fairer than making some other unsuspecting traveller put up with being
squished. I enjoyed that ladies company but another might be less
forgiving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" wrote.

> Or go on a diet.
>
> That was cruel, but true.

It's not always that simple. Most thin folks (I am one) have a high
metabolizm and no problems with health that cause exercise problems.

While some folks who are overweight just eat alot or eat alot and of the
wrong things (portion control issues), many actually eat the same as their
thinner counterparts.

I think it might be most who are within 50-60 lbs arent eating different
than 'thin people'. I'm told that those much more than that probably have
health problems preventing normal exercise which makes it really hard to
lose it.

> I worked with a very heavy woman. For three months, she had to fly
> every week, roundtrip. She told me that she was very thankful when she
> got two seats (it was a very small plane). You might want to think
> about how it feels for the heavy person. It isn't any more pleasant for
> them.

I am sure it is not. I didnt squeal with the larger lady because there were
no seats open and we did in fact 'fit'. She was also, excellent company.
If my butt hadnt fit in a size 7 at the time though, it might have been
different...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cshenk wrote:

> I do not feel they should pay extra, but had to sit once with a lady who
> couldnt 'fit' in the seat without removing the 'arm' between us. It was a
> packed plane so no extra seats. When you reserve a seat, the airline doesnt
> know your size.
>
> She was very nice and we chatted the whole time, but I was happy when we got
> off to be able to breathe and was rather 'squished' feeling (grin).
>
> The survey didnt cover situations like that. If a person literally needs 2
> seats, they should have 2 assigned and not squish a smaller person in with
> the arm raised up. If that means to pay more due to 2 seats assigned, thats
> fairer than making some other unsuspecting traveller put up with being
> squished. I enjoyed that ladies company but another might be less
> forgiving.

The problem isn't with people's size. The problem is that the airlines
don't give any of us enough room. If I were in a situtation where I
paid for a seat and couldn't use half of it, I'd explain to the flight
attendants that the situation wasn't safe, that the seatbelt wouldn't
buckle, that it wasn't safe, that I didn't have full use of my flotation
device thus making it not safe, and continue repeating the unsafety of a
situation where a person can't occupy his/her seat. Then let the
airline deal with their problem. Leave the size of the person next to
you out of it. It would be just as unsafe if the airline decided to put
a bunch of boxes in your seat or if they chose to put 2 full size people
in one seat. Can't put the arm rest down? Give me a break. No one
should have to put up with those conditions.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:28:14 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>The problem is that the airlines
>don't give any of us enough room.

Much applause. I feel like a sardine when I fly.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> The problem isn't with people's size. The problem is that the airlines
> don't give any of us enough room. If I were in a situtation where I
> paid for a seat and couldn't use half of it, I'd explain to the flight
> attendants that the situation wasn't safe, that the seatbelt wouldn't
> buckle, that it wasn't safe, that I didn't have full use of my flotation
> device thus making it not safe, and continue repeating the unsafety of a
> situation where a person can't occupy his/her seat. Then let the
> airline deal with their problem. Leave the size of the person next to
> you out of it. It would be just as unsafe if the airline decided to put
> a bunch of boxes in your seat or if they chose to put 2 full size people
> in one seat. Can't put the arm rest down? Give me a break. No one
> should have to put up with those conditions.

The airlines could also provide some larger seating on every flight instead
of using a standard size in each category, perhaps with a slight
premium....not second seat charge.

To give you a idea what jerks they can be, one of them....KLM... screwed
some friends who had come to visit me from the Netherlands this fall. They
travelled light, I thought, with just one large suitcase for the two of
them. They bought some wine while they were here and put it in their
suitcase. It was 5 pounds over the maximum, so the airline charged them an
extra $50. I can see that if they each had a bag, but it was one bag
between two of them. That means that each of them was just over 2 1/2
pounds of half the personal maximum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:01:51 -0800:

??>> The problem is that the airlines
??>> don't give any of us enough room.

s> Much applause. I feel like a sardine when I fly.

Yes, airlines are most ungenereous and it's not just "large"
people that are a problem. Others go to sleep and slip over into
the next space and can be most indignant if wakened!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> The problem isn't with people's size. The problem is that the airlines
> don't give any of us enough room. If I were in a situtation where I
> paid for a seat and couldn't use half of it, I'd explain to the flight
> attendants that the situation wasn't safe, that the seatbelt wouldn't
> buckle, that it wasn't safe, that I didn't have full use of my flotation
> device thus making it not safe, and continue repeating the unsafety of a
> situation where a person can't occupy his/her seat. Then let the
> airline deal with their problem. Leave the size of the person next to
> you out of it. It would be just as unsafe if the airline decided to put
> a bunch of boxes in your seat or if they chose to put 2 full size people
> in one seat. Can't put the arm rest down? Give me a break. No one
> should have to put up with those conditions.
>

> --Lia

Well, I agree, the airlines do not allow their passengers enough space.
We keep talking about fat people, which is a valid issue, but their
seats will not accommodate most men who are height/weight proportionate.
My husband is 6' 2" and has narrow hips, but his shoulders are 26"
wide. Most airline seats are 17". Those shoulders are going somewhere.
I always sit in the middle (not fun) and he sits on the aisle or the
window. The rest of his shoulders are in my seat, or they are in the
aisle. Look at seat.guru.com (I love that website).

http://www.seatguru.com/charts/domestic_economy.php

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

> To give you a idea what jerks they can be, one of
> them....KLM... screwed some friends who had come to visit me from
> the Netherlands this fall. They travelled light, I thought,
> with just one large suitcase for the two of them. They bought
> some wine while they were here and put it in their suitcase. It
> was 5 pounds over the maximum, so the airline charged them an
> extra $50. I can see that if they each had a bag, but it was
> one bag between two of them. That means that each of them was
> just over 2 1/2 pounds of half the personal maximum.

That's reasonable airline behavior. It is more strain on the
baggage handlers to handle a single heavier bag. Per-bag weight
limits reduce worker injury. The overweight bags get a
"heavy" tag put on them and are handled more carefully.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Well, I agree, the airlines do not allow their passengers enough space.
> We keep talking about fat people, which is a valid issue, but their
> seats will not accommodate most men who are height/weight proportionate.

I wonder what the airlines would do in this scenario. Someone your
husband's size, or even someone my size, someone the airlines think
should fit in their seats but whom we think don't fit, explains when
buying the seats that they're oversized and need 2 tickets and buys two.
The crazy way the seats are prices, this often comes to less than a
first class ticket. Back in the olden days, fares were more expensive,
but the seats were larger too, so we could think of it as old fashioned
luxury accomodations. The flight is overbooked. Does the airline
decide that they can "bump" the passenger from his extra seat?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Cshenk wrote:
> > While some folks who are overweight just eat alot or eat alot and of the
> > wrong things (portion control issues), many actually eat the same as their
> > thinner counterparts.

> One thing that annoys me is when I hear or read someone claim they're
> fat because of thyroid problems. As if they're helpless. Some slowing of
> the metabolism is certainly a result of hypothyroidism, but a majority
> of the problem is the "hand to mouth" disease.

A lot of the elderly become over weight simply because they become
elderly... folks live a lot longer now than they did just a few short
years ago, but because they live so much longer they also develop
chronic illnesses requiring medications that cause weight gain plus
their illnesses prevent them from exercising. The elderly comprise a
huge proportion of the population. And there are lots of young people
today as well who are experiencing the same situation... young people
who only a few short years ago would not have lived to puberty, many
would have died at birth, or sooner.

I think very few people are overweight simply because they eat too
much... many eat too much because they can't receive enough
nourishment otherwise... there are many reasons beyond ones control...
and genetics plays a huge role, in fact other than for accidental
incapacitation it's all genetics, we are NOT all the same, far from
it, and thankfully. And much of today's employment just does not
require much physical activity, far more people these days work a life
time of very long hours chained to a desk. Children don't play
outdoors much anymore, they can't, it's no longer safe, and both
parents work so they're raised in the day care test tubes, they don't
develop normally, not physically or emotionally and certainly not
socially. The reasons for the increase in obesity involves many
complex compound issues, including societal and economic, it's not
just about food.

Of all people anyone who works in the medical arena should realize
that so many more folks are surviving via artificial means and obesity
is just as much a result as many other physical and emotional
conditions. Medicine is a wonderful thing but unfortunately those who
live the closest are the first to become short sighted... folks who
work with the sick and dying are the first to develop immunity, RNs
and MDs are by far the most guilty of developing a blindness to the
human condition... they also make the worst patients when it happens
to them and their's. There are none so blind as those who choose not
to see.

There but for the grace... no one is immune, no one gets out alive.

Life is about ones quality, not ones "quantity"... there is no point
in living to 100 if no one can remember anything profound they've
accomplished other than living to 100.

Sheldon Thorninside
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>
>> The problem isn't with people's size. The problem is that the
>> airlines don't give any of us enough room. If I were in a situtation
>> where I paid for a seat and couldn't use half of it, I'd explain to
>> the flight attendants that the situation wasn't safe, that the
>> seatbelt wouldn't buckle, that it wasn't safe, that I didn't have
>> full use of my flotation device thus making it not safe, and continue
>> repeating the unsafety of a situation where a person can't occupy
>> his/her seat. Then let the airline deal with their problem. Leave
>> the size of the person next to you out of it. It would be just as
>> unsafe if the airline decided to put a bunch of boxes in your seat or
>> if they chose to put 2 full size people in one seat. Can't put the
>> arm rest down? Give me a break. No one should have to put up with
>> those conditions.

> The airlines could also provide some larger seating on every flight
> instead of using a standard size in each category, perhaps with a
> slight premium....not second seat charge.

Phone: "Yes, ma'am, I do show a flight out of LAX to O'Hare on that
evening. Departure is 8:34. ...... Yes, I'd be happy to book that for
you. ... <clickety clickety clickety> ... Do you wish to travel First
Class, Coach, or Behemoth? ..... "

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:57:34 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
wrote:

>A lot of the elderly become over weight simply because they become
>elderly... folks live a lot longer now than they did just a few short
>years ago, but because they live so much longer they also develop
>chronic illnesses requiring medications that cause weight gain plus
>their illnesses prevent them from exercising. The elderly comprise a
>huge proportion of the population. And there are lots of young people
>today as well who are experiencing the same situation... young people
>who only a few short years ago would not have lived to puberty, many
>would have died at birth, or sooner.
>
>I think very few people are overweight simply because they eat too
>much... many eat too much because they can't receive enough
>nourishment otherwise... there are many reasons beyond ones control...
>and genetics plays a huge role, in fact other than for accidental
>incapacitation it's all genetics, we are NOT all the same, far from
>it, and thankfully. And much of today's employment just does not
>require much physical activity, far more people these days work a life
>time of very long hours chained to a desk. Children don't play
>outdoors much anymore, they can't, it's no longer safe, and both
>parents work so they're raised in the day care test tubes, they don't
>develop normally, not physically or emotionally and certainly not
>socially. The reasons for the increase in obesity involves many
>complex compound issues, including societal and economic, it's not
>just about food.

<snip>

>There but for the grace... no one is immune, no one gets out alive.
>
>Life is about ones quality, not ones "quantity"... there is no point
>in living to 100 if no one can remember anything profound they've
>accomplished other than living to 100.
>
>Sheldon Thorninside

Wow! How compassionate and perceptive. I can't believe it's you
writing this.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 24 Nov 2007 11:18:44a, Blinky the Shark meant to say...

> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem isn't with people's size. The problem is that the
>>> airlines don't give any of us enough room. If I were in a situtation
>>> where I paid for a seat and couldn't use half of it, I'd explain to
>>> the flight attendants that the situation wasn't safe, that the
>>> seatbelt wouldn't buckle, that it wasn't safe, that I didn't have
>>> full use of my flotation device thus making it not safe, and continue
>>> repeating the unsafety of a situation where a person can't occupy
>>> his/her seat. Then let the airline deal with their problem. Leave
>>> the size of the person next to you out of it. It would be just as
>>> unsafe if the airline decided to put a bunch of boxes in your seat or
>>> if they chose to put 2 full size people in one seat. Can't put the
>>> arm rest down? Give me a break. No one should have to put up with
>>> those conditions.

>> The airlines could also provide some larger seating on every flight
>> instead of using a standard size in each category, perhaps with a
>> slight premium....not second seat charge.

> Phone: "Yes, ma'am, I do show a flight out of LAX to O'Hare on that
> evening. Departure is 8:34. ...... Yes, I'd be happy to book that for
> you. ... <clickety clickety clickety> ... Do you wish to travel First
> Class, Coach, or Behemoth? ..... "

Naw, just strap me to the one of the wings.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: November(XI) 24th(XXIV),2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
4wks 12hrs 45mins
Curiouser and curiouser. (Alice In
Wonderland)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Sheldon said...
>
>> On Nov 23, 2:07�pm, Andy <q> wrote:
>>> Sheldon said...

yes. the problem is both are on your shoulders.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> A lot of the elderly become over weight simply because they become
> elderly... folks live a lot longer now than they did just a few short
> years ago, but because they live so much longer they also develop
> chronic illnesses requiring medications that cause weight gain plus
> their illnesses prevent them from exercising. The elderly comprise a
> huge proportion of the population. And there are lots of young people
> today as well who are experiencing the same situation... young people
> who only a few short years ago would not have lived to puberty, many
> would have died at birth, or sooner.

One of the recent threads about obese airline passengers came in the wake
of an article about airlines saying that the average weight of passengers
has increased over the last decade or two. Of course all the self righteous
dicks started ranting about fatties. Yet, the article cited did not say
their passengers were obese, only that the average weight had increased.

As you point out, there are a lot of older passengers. Not only do old
people tend to put on an extra few pounds, but the average age of the
population is up. We are not raining as many children, so a greater
percentage of us are, on the average, heavier than a few decades ago when a
greater percentage of us were younger and smaller.

There are also a lot of big people around. Not fat.... big. When I was a
kid you didn't see a lot of men from 30-60 with big muscles who work out in
the gym a lot like you do now. Sure, there are a lot of obese travellers.
The one and only time I was on a flight in the US there were a lot of large
men in the plane, but I would not have called any of them obese. Not even
fat. They were just big strapping men. AAMOF I would have loved to have
seen one of those travel group self righteous dicks call those guys fat to
their face.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> > To give you a idea what jerks they can be, one of
> > them....KLM... screwed some friends who had come to visit me from
> > the Netherlands this fall. They travelled light, I thought,
> > with just one large suitcase for the two of them. They bought
> > some wine while they were here and put it in their suitcase. It
> > was 5 pounds over the maximum, so the airline charged them an
> > extra $50. I can see that if they each had a bag, but it was
> > one bag between two of them. That means that each of them was
> > just over 2 1/2 pounds of half the personal maximum.

> That's reasonable airline behavior. It is more strain on the
> baggage handlers to handle a single heavier bag. Per-bag weight
> limits reduce worker injury. The overweight bags get a
> "heavy" tag put on them and are handled more carefully.

Do you figure that they pay the baggage handlers extra for hoisting that
extra 5 pounds, or that charging $50 extra makes it okay? Does it cost $50
to put that tag on?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 24 Nov 2007 11:23:04a, meant to say...

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:57:34 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
> wrote:
>>
>>A lot of the elderly become over weight simply because they become
>>elderly... folks live a lot longer now than they did just a few short
>>years ago, but because they live so much longer they also develop
>>chronic illnesses requiring medications that cause weight gain plus
>>their illnesses prevent them from exercising. The elderly comprise a
>>huge proportion of the population. And there are lots of young people
>>today as well who are experiencing the same situation... young people
>>who only a few short years ago would not have lived to puberty, many
>>would have died at birth, or sooner.
>>
>>I think very few people are overweight simply because they eat too
>>much... many eat too much because they can't receive enough
>>nourishment otherwise... there are many reasons beyond ones control...
>>and genetics plays a huge role, in fact other than for accidental
>>incapacitation it's all genetics, we are NOT all the same, far from
>>it, and thankfully. And much of today's employment just does not
>>require much physical activity, far more people these days work a life
>>time of very long hours chained to a desk. Children don't play
>>outdoors much anymore, they can't, it's no longer safe, and both
>>parents work so they're raised in the day care test tubes, they don't
>>develop normally, not physically or emotionally and certainly not
>>socially. The reasons for the increase in obesity involves many
>>complex compound issues, including societal and economic, it's not
>>just about food.
>>

> <snip>
>>
>>There but for the grace... no one is immune, no one gets out alive.
>>
>>Life is about ones quality, not ones "quantity"... there is no point
>>in living to 100 if no one can remember anything profound they've
>>accomplished other than living to 100.
>>
>>Sheldon Thorninside

> Wow! How compassionate and perceptive. I can't believe it's you
> writing this.

Agreed... Apparently he's back on his meds.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sat, 11(XI)/24(XXIV)/2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
4wks 12hrs 30mins
How long will a floating point
operation float?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> > To give you a idea what jerks they can be, one of
>> > them....KLM... screwed some friends who had come to visit me from
>> > the Netherlands this fall. They travelled light, I thought,
>> > with just one large suitcase for the two of them. They bought
>> > some wine while they were here and put it in their suitcase. It
>> > was 5 pounds over the maximum, so the airline charged them an
>> > extra $50. I can see that if they each had a bag, but it was
>> > one bag between two of them. That means that each of them was
>> > just over 2 1/2 pounds of half the personal maximum.

>> That's reasonable airline behavior. It is more strain on the
>> baggage handlers to handle a single heavier bag. Per-bag weight
>> limits reduce worker injury. The overweight bags get a
>> "heavy" tag put on them and are handled more carefully.

>Do you figure that they pay the baggage handlers extra for hoisting that
>extra 5 pounds, or that charging $50 extra makes it okay? Does it cost $50
>to put that tag on?

I figure only a subgroup of handlers handles the "heavy" bags,
and they pay more for insurance on these individuals.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Dave Smith > wrote:

>>> That's reasonable airline behavior. It is more strain on the
>>> baggage handlers to handle a single heavier bag. Per-bag weight
>>> limits reduce worker injury. The overweight bags get a "heavy" tag
>>> put on them and are handled more carefully.

>>Do you figure that they pay the baggage handlers extra for hoisting
>>that extra 5 pounds, or that charging $50 extra makes it okay? Does it
>>cost $50 to put that tag on?

> I figure only a subgroup of handlers handles the "heavy" bags, and
> they pay more for insurance on these individuals.

Perhaps the specially tagged overweight bag is handled by a pair of
workers. That wouldn't be a surprising or unreasonable clause for their
union contract.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> Cshenk wrote:
>>> While some folks who are overweight just eat alot or eat alot and of the
>>> wrong things (portion control issues), many actually eat the same as their
>>> thinner counterparts.

>> One thing that annoys me is when I hear or read someone claim they're
>> fat because of thyroid problems. As if they're helpless. Some slowing of
>> the metabolism is certainly a result of hypothyroidism, but a majority
>> of the problem is the "hand to mouth" disease.

> A lot of the elderly become over weight simply because they become
> elderly... folks live a lot longer now than they did just a few short
> years ago, but because they live so much longer they also develop
> chronic illnesses requiring medications that cause weight gain plus
> their illnesses prevent them from exercising. The elderly comprise a
> huge proportion of the population. And there are lots of young people
> today as well who are experiencing the same situation... young people
> who only a few short years ago would not have lived to puberty, many
> would have died at birth, or sooner.

No Shel... the people I am thinking about are not elderly nor on any
particular medication that can cause weight gain (steroids, for
example). What they do is make poor food choices, over eat, under
excercise and in general take poor care of themselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

>> Do you figure that they pay the baggage handlers extra for hoisting that
>> extra 5 pounds, or that charging $50 extra makes it okay? Does it cost $50
>> to put that tag on?

> I figure only a subgroup of handlers handles the "heavy" bags,
> and they pay more for insurance on these individuals.
>
> Steve

Last year one of the 24 bed Medical ICUs had 4 bariatric patients with a
combined weight of 1800 pounds. None were expected admissions (such as
post gastric bypass) so it was just a freak coincidence yet at any time
there will usually be someone there so large. It was a logistical
nightmare for staffing as it takes a LOT of brute strength to turn and
move those patients. Back injuries in health care personnel are an
enormous problem.