Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food Quiz

Holiday Foods Quiz

<http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 20, 10:38 am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Your final score is 10 out of 10 questions."
>
> So what do I win?

I got them all right, too. I think the prize is the realization that
I'm old...... -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

> "Correct!
> Happy holidays to all!
> Your final score is 10 out of 10 questions."
>
> So what do I win?
>
> -sw

Darn, I only got 9 out of 10. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire? I
thought it was chipmunks. It is 80 degrees outside, so I will blame it
on the heat. No? Well, how about medication? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Yesterday I was shopping, and people were buying Christmas decorations.
We have not had Thanksgiving, and they are shopping for Christmas...
and it is 80 degrees.

Trying to get in the holiday spirit.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:45:33 -0600, Becca wrote:
>
>> Holiday Foods Quiz
>>
>> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

> "Correct!
> Happy holidays to all!
> Your final score is 10 out of 10 questions."
>
> So what do I win?
>
> -sw

A tinfoil hat?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote

> On Nov 20, 10:38 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Your final score is 10 out of 10 questions."
>>
>> So what do I win?
>>

> I got them all right, too. I think the prize is the realization that
> I'm old......

I missed one ... but then, I've never even eaten stollen, how
would I guess that answer?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem said...

> On Nov 20, 10:38 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Your final score is 10 out of 10 questions."
>>
>> So what do I win?
>>

> I got them all right, too. I think the prize is the realization that
> I'm old...... -aem

8 of 10.

Stupid quizzes! How am I supposed to know all this below the Mason Dixon line
crap?!?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Holiday Foods Quiz
>
> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

I missed the ones on basting and stollen.
It makes me want to keep basting turkeys the way I've always done and to
try making stollen for the first time.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote in
:

> Becca wrote:
>> Holiday Foods Quiz
>>
>> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

> I missed the ones on basting and stollen.
> It makes me want to keep basting turkeys the way I've always done and

> try making stollen for the first time.
>

> --Lia

those are the 2 I missed as well.
Side note ...when is American Thanksgiving...my Canadian Calendar doesn't
tell me.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> those are the 2 I missed as well.
> Side note ...when is American Thanksgiving...my Canadian Calendar doesn't
> tell me.

It's the fourth Thursday in November (that is, the day after tomorrow).

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> Becca wrote:
>>> Holiday Foods Quiz
>>>
>>> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

>> I missed the ones on basting and stollen.
>> It makes me want to keep basting turkeys the way I've always done and

>> try making stollen for the first time.
>>

>> --Lia
>>

>those are the 2 I missed as well.
>Side note ...when is American Thanksgiving...my Canadian Calendar doesn't
>tell me.

I got them all right. Comes from reading too many cookbooks, food
sites, etc.

American Thanksgiving is always the 4th Thursday in November.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> On Nov 20, 10:38 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > Your final score is 10 out of 10 questions."
> >
> > So what do I win?
> >

> I got them all right, too. I think the prize is the realization that
> I'm old...... -aem

In that case, I'm not even going to click through
to the quiz. If you lose, you lose, and if you
win, you lose. I hate situations like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> aem said...
>
>> On Nov 20, 10:38 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> Your final score is 10 out of 10 questions."
>>>
>>> So what do I win?
>>>

>> I got them all right, too. I think the prize is the realization that
>> I'm old...... -aem
>>

> 8 of 10.
>
> Stupid quizzes! How am I supposed to know all this below the Mason
> Dixon line crap?!?

Stollen is a below the Mason Dixon line thing? Sorry Andy, that just
doesn't make sense!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:45:33 -0600, Becca wrote:
>
>> Holiday Foods Quiz
>>
>> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

> "Correct!
> Happy holidays to all!
> Your final score is 10 out of 10 questions."
>
> So what do I win?
>
> -sw

Praise and admiration from all

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> > Stupid quizzes! How am I supposed to know all this below the Mason
> > Dixon line crap?!?
> >

> Stollen is a below the Mason Dixon line thing? Sorry Andy, that just
> doesn't make sense!

Hmmm... that reminds me.... time to head down to the German deli and get
some Stollen for the holidays. It is one of my favourite Christmas treats.

Speaking of which.... it is probably time to make my light fruit cake for
Christmas too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Holiday Foods Quiz
>
> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>
>
> Becca

That wasn't challenging. We need a higher level.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah Gray said...

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:45:33 -0600, Becca wrote:
>>
>>> Holiday Foods Quiz
>>>
>>> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

>> "Correct!
>> Happy holidays to all!
>> Your final score is 10 out of 10 questions."
>>
>> So what do I win?
>>
>> -sw

> Praise and admiration from all

Becca gets to answer another 10 questions.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote in
:

> Becca wrote:
>> Holiday Foods Quiz
>>
>> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

> I missed the ones on basting and stollen.
> It makes me want to keep basting turkeys the way I've always
> done and to try making stollen for the first time.
>

> --Lia

Me 2.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I missed one ... but then, I've never even eaten stollen, how
> would I guess that answer?
>
> nancy

From seeing it for sale in grocery stores and catalogs for ever?
It is good. You'd like it.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Holiday Foods Quiz
>
> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>
>
> Becca

What'd you think, Becca? I got a perfect score and didn't think the
questions were difficult. Fun, though.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>>> Stupid quizzes! How am I supposed to know all this below the Mason
>>> Dixon line crap?!?
>>>

>> Stollen is a below the Mason Dixon line thing? Sorry Andy, that just
>> doesn't make sense!

> Hmmm... that reminds me.... time to head down to the German deli and get
> some Stollen for the holidays. It is one of my favourite Christmas treats.
>
> Speaking of which.... it is probably time to make my light fruit cake for
> Christmas too.

Strufoli! It is time to think strufoli!
I'm actually a freak in that I like fruit cake too. I never make it but
I eat it and like it a lot.
Stollen is good. I have always purchased it also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I missed one ... but then, I've never even eaten stollen, how
>> would I guess that answer?

> From seeing it for sale in grocery stores and catalogs for ever?
> It is good. You'd like it.

I looked at images, it's what I know to be stollen but it doesn't
make me want to try it, or think there are almonds in there.
But, if I come across one this season, I will try it on the strength
of your recommendation.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Becca > wrote:
>
>> Holiday Foods Quiz
>>
>> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>
>>
>> Becca

> What'd you think, Becca? I got a perfect score and didn't think the
> questions were difficult. Fun, though.

Same here. Nothing was unusual. I have no idea why Andy thinks the
Mason-Dixon line even comes into it...?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> I missed one ... but then, I've never even eaten stollen, how
>>> would I guess that answer?

>> From seeing it for sale in grocery stores and catalogs for ever?
>> It is good. You'd like it.

> I looked at images, it's what I know to be stollen but it doesn't
> make me want to try it, or think there are almonds in there.
> But, if I come across one this season, I will try it on the strength
> of your recommendation.
>
> nancy

LOL, oh great.. then you can blame me if you buy an old stale one?
They're not sickeningly sweet, so they're good with hot coffee and tea.
In fact...doesn't Enntamens (sp) make some? Hmmmmmm?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> From seeing it for sale in grocery stores and catalogs for ever?
>>> It is good. You'd like it.

>> I looked at images, it's what I know to be stollen but it doesn't
>> make me want to try it, or think there are almonds in there.
>> But, if I come across one this season, I will try it on the strength
>> of your recommendation.

> LOL, oh great.. then you can blame me if you buy an old stale one?

You catch on *quick!* (laugh)

> They're not sickeningly sweet, so they're good with hot coffee and tea.
> In fact...doesn't Enntamens (sp) make some? Hmmmmmm?

They might. They probably do. I'll look.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Hmmm... that reminds me.... time to head down to the German deli and get
> some Stollen for the holidays. It is one of my favourite Christmas treats.
>
> Speaking of which.... it is probably time to make my light fruit cake for
> Christmas too.

Why not get a stollfrupan? That's a longish piece of
marzipan stuffed inside a fruitcake stuffed inside a
stollen. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> LOL, oh great.. then you can blame me if you buy an old stale one?
> They're not sickeningly sweet, so they're good with hot coffee and tea.
> In fact...doesn't Enntamens (sp) make some? Hmmmmmm?

Oh great, a fat-free stollen. Sawdust would be cheaper,
and have more flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> LOL, oh great.. then you can blame me if you buy an old stale one?
>> They're not sickeningly sweet, so they're good with hot coffee and tea.
>> In fact...doesn't Enntamens (sp) make some? Hmmmmmm?

> Oh great, a fat-free stollen. Sawdust would be cheaper,
> and have more flavor.

Huh? Where did "Fat Free" come into the discussion?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Holiday Foods Quiz
>
><http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

Love it! Thanks

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Holiday Foods Quiz
>
> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>
>
> Becca

9 out of 10...I didn't know the correct nut for stollen.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:26:51 -0600, Becca wrote:
>
>> Darn, I only got 9 out of 10. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire? I
>> thought it was chipmunks.

> Chipmunks eats chestnuts. I would have given it to you.
>
> I thought for sure it was going to ding me for the [lack of]
> basting turkey question, but they actually got it right!
>
> -sw

Yeah...I cringed on that one as well.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:36:50 -0500, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> That wasn't challenging. We need a higher level.

> Without looking anything up, define the following:
>
> 1. Elcampane
> 2. Elvenses
> 3. Matelote
> 4. Oyster nut
> 5. There isn't a #5
> 6. Shirkhand
> 7. Tzimmes
> 8. Coulibiac
> 9. Frumenty
> 10. Maas
> 11. Pastille
> 12. (See #5)
> 13. Calsones
> 14. Apicius
> 15. Argan Oil
>
> -sw

I've got #5.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Kat wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:45:33 -0600, Becca > wrote:
>
>> Holiday Foods Quiz
>>
>> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

> Watching the Food Channel DOES work!
>
> 10 of 10, and maybe 1 minute total time.

Somehow, I don;t feel so impressed with myself on a perfect score..
I guessed the stollen one.

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 20, 2:26 pm, Becca > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> >> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

> > "Correct!
> > Happy holidays to all!
> > Your final score is 10 out of 10 questions."

> > So what do I win?

> > -sw

> Darn, I only got 9 out of 10. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire? I
> thought it was chipmunks. It is 80 degrees outside, so I will blame it
> on the heat. No? Well, how about medication? Yeah, that's the ticket.
>
> Yesterday I was shopping, and people were buying Christmas decorations.
> We have not had Thanksgiving, and they are shopping for Christmas...
> and it is 80 degrees.
>
> Trying to get in the holiday spirit.
>
> Becca

hehe. I was at a friend's Sunday, and her neighbors were out there
overdecorating their houses. The only thing they didn't have was the
strings of lights spread out on the lawn in a crosshatch pattern. We
came back after dark and it looked like it was still daylight across
the street.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 20, 3:49 pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> Becca wrote:
> > Holiday Foods Quiz

> > <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

> I missed the ones on basting and stollen.
> It makes me want to keep basting turkeys the way I've always done and to
> try making stollen for the first time.
>
> --Lia

I tried that once. Came out yummy. But then anything you fill with
almond paste and cover with powdered sugar tastes good to me.<g>

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 20, 7:44 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:36:50 -0500, Jean B. wrote:
> > That wasn't challenging. We need a higher level.

> Without looking anything up, define the following:
>
> 1. Elcampane Herb
> 2. Elvenses midmorning snack
> 3. Matelote no clue
> 4. Oyster nut again no clue
> 5. There isn't a #5
> 6. Shirkhand again no clue
> 7. Tzimmes a casserole made with carrots, prunes and sometimes brisket.
> 8. Coulibiac again no clue
> 9. Frumenty something from Victorian times
> 10. Maas again no clue
> 11. Pastille a flat pastry
> 12. (See #5)
> 13. Calsones that's calZones, a bread dough circle filled and folded in half
> 14. Apicius again no clue
> 15. Argan Oil oil from the nuts/fruit of the ironwood tree, latest food and cosmetic fad
>
> -sw

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 20, 9:33 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

> >> From seeing it for sale in grocery stores and catalogs for ever?
> >> It is good. You'd like it.

> > I looked at images, it's what I know to be stollen but it doesn't
> > make me want to try it, or think there are almonds in there.
> > But, if I come across one this season, I will try it on the strength
> > of your recommendation.

> > nancy

> LOL, oh great.. then you can blame me if you buy an old stale one?
> They're not sickeningly sweet, so they're good with hot coffee and tea.
> In fact...doesn't Enntamens (sp) make some? Hmmmmmm?

Stollen is the baby Jesus' swaddling, I learned when I tried to find a
recipe.
While the recipes I found called for that candied fruit cr** - er,
stuff, I used cut up dried fruit (apples, cranberries, apricots,
peaches, pears, raisins) and it was wonderful.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I knew tzimmes off the top of my head.

I was sure Apicius would have something to do with bees or honey, but it
turns out to be an early Roman cookbook.

Matelote is the one that intrigues me that I want to try. I'm not sure
about eels, but I could make do with catfish. How could you go wrong
with seafood coq au vin or poor man's bouillabaise?

--Lia

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Nov 20, 7:44 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:36:50 -0500, Jean B. wrote:
>>
>>>That wasn't challenging. We need a higher level.

>>Without looking anything up, define the following:
>>
>>1. Elcampane Herb
>>2. Elvenses midmorning snack
>>3. Matelote no clue
>>4. Oyster nut again no clue
>>5. There isn't a #5
>>6. Shirkhand again no clue
>>7. Tzimmes a casserole made with carrots, prunes and sometimes brisket.
>>8. Coulibiac again no clue
>>9. Frumenty something from Victorian times
>>10. Maas again no clue
>>11. Pastille a flat pastry
>>12. (See #5)
>>13. Calsones that's calZones, a bread dough circle filled and folded in half
>>14. Apicius again no clue
>>15. Argan Oil oil from the nuts/fruit of the ironwood tree, latest food and cosmetic fad
>>
>>-sw

> maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Nov 20, 3:49 pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>> Becca wrote:
>>> Holiday Foods Quiz
>>> <http://www.wyff4.com/tu/5tuL4p090.html>

>> I missed the ones on basting and stollen.
>> It makes me want to keep basting turkeys the way I've always done and to
>> try making stollen for the first time.
>>
>> --Lia

> I tried that once. Came out yummy. But then anything you fill with
> almond paste and cover with powdered sugar tastes good to me.<g>
>
> maxine in ri

The only ones of those I know are tzimmes, calZones, and pastille.

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote

> I tried that once. Came out yummy. But then anything you fill with
> almond paste and cover with powdered sugar tastes good to me.<g>

Almond paste. I *detest* almond paste. Love almonds. Can't
stand almond extract, either.

I don't think I'll be enjoying the stollen.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Goomba38 wrote:
>>> LOL, oh great.. then you can blame me if you buy an old stale one?
>>> They're not sickeningly sweet, so they're good with hot coffee and
>>> tea. In fact...doesn't Enntamens (sp) make some? Hmmmmmm?

>> Oh great, a fat-free stollen. Sawdust would be cheaper,
>> and have more flavor.

> Huh? Where did "Fat Free" come into the discussion?

A lot of Entemann's baked goods are touted as being fat-free.

Jill

Food Quiz Marion[_2_] General Cooking 8 16-03-2009 04:40 PM
Food Quiz Philip Boerebach Marketplace 0 17-08-2006 04:59 PM
Food Quiz Ralf Hartemink General Cooking 0 29-05-2006 09:48 AM
Food Quiz RALF HARTEMINK General Cooking 2 28-04-2006 05:31 PM
Food Quiz, new ! Food-Info General 0 13-01-2006 09:31 AM