Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soup recipes?

Hi all, especially serene and sf the soup experts?!
I've never made my own soup before, but after having tried home made soup on
two occasions in the last week, brought in to work by colleagues, I really
want to have a go. The first soup I tried (my first experience of home made
soup) was a 3 bean soup that contained chicken and bacon, I can't get hold
of the recipe short of torturing the junior doctor that made it. (this may
be an option next week when I'm back at work!) I was a little reluctant, due
to only having had tinned soup, to even partake of the soup, but after one
taste I could have eaten the whole container!
The second was brought in by a colleague, who's Dutch partner had made
tomato and chilli soup, with very small pieces of pasta, like a minestrone,
she wasn't exactly sure how he'd made it.
It may be weird to some people that I can get to 38 years old and only just
discovered soup, but I never had the inclination, not realizing how much
better than tinned it is!
Does anyone have a great soup recipe?
what's your favorite?
please share,

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soup recipes? (Warning: long response)

Sarah wrote:
> Hi all, especially serene and sf the soup experts?!

Hee!

> I've never made my own soup before,

<snip>
> Does anyone have a great soup recipe?
> what's your favorite?

This post might get long. I apologize in advance. :-)

I only started making good soup myself about two years ago. I
recommend the book "Slow and Difficult Soups" as a good, fun read,
and a good starting point toward a love of good soups. It's a short
book with only a few recipes, but it gives good soup inspiration.
Also, to be honest, every soup recipe I've tried from this newsgroup
has been stellar.

A note on one of the soups you mentioned: I don't add uncooked
pasta directly to the soup unless the soup really needs thickening.
Instead, I cook the pasta separately and add it at the end.

My soups didn't start getting really good until I started making my
own stocks (recipes, of a sort, below, along with the celeriac soup
that was my joy all summer and a really easy potato soup that will
have to wait until you move out of your mom's). A good chicken
stock is like gold. Veggie stock is easy and cheap, because you use
scraps you save up in the freezer. I don't personally make beef
stock very often, because I'm not a big fan.

I sort of figured out tom kha gai by myself, but recently, I found a
recipe online that is essentially the method I use:
http://www.ajc.com/living/content/li...oup120904.html

Vegetable Stock

Save vegetable scraps -- some people will say not to use brassicas
for this, or not to use potato peels, but I use both, provided they
don't take over. Usually, though, it's mostly onion and garlic
skins, and celery scraps, and carrot peels, stuff like that. I save
them in a bag in the freezer until the bag is full, then cover them
with cold water in a big pot, bring to a boil, simmer 30 minutes,
then strain and use within 3 days. If there aren't a lot of onion
skins in the scraps, I add another onion, unpeeled but cut in half.

Chicken Stock

I don't add any vegetables or salt to chicken stock. I use chicken
carcasses or whole chickens (cut up or not). First, remove all the
skin and as much of the fat as possible so you can make schmaltz
later. Then boil or pressure-cook the chicken and remove it from
the water. When it's cool enough to handle, take the meat off the
bones, and put the bones back in. At this point, I put the bones
(along with any other bones I've saved in the freezer, and a pound
of chicken feet if I have them) back into the pot and either simmer
for an hour or three, or pressure-cook for another 20 minutes.
Strain and use or freeze. If it's really good, it's this lovely,
clear stuff that turns all gelatinous as it cools.

Celeriac Soup

Sautee a chopped onion and some chopped celery in oil and/or butter,
with salt and pepper to taste. Peel and cube a celery root about
the size of a baby's head. ;-) Add to the sautee, then add 2 quarts
or more of good stock. Bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and
simmer 30-60 minutes. Puree (I use my stick blender). Optionally,
add some heavy cream either to the pot after it's off the heat, or
swirled into each serving.

Potato Soup

1 onion, diced
2-4 T bacon grease
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (russets will fall apart, which
is fine. If you're not going to puree the soup and you want the
potatoes a little more solid, try a waxier potato)
1/4 cup or so cooked bacon
2 quarts stock or water
snipped chives or parsley for garnish (optional)

Sautee onion in bacon grease until it starts to turn translucent.
Add potatoes and sautee a few minutes more. Add stock and bacon and
bring to a boil. Simmer 30 minutes. Optionally, puree the soup.
Serve with chives or parsley on top if desired.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah" > wrote

> The second was brought in by a colleague, who's Dutch partner had made
> tomato and chilli soup, with very small pieces of pasta, like a
> minestrone, she wasn't exactly sure how he'd made it.

Do you think it was pasta fagioli (fazool)? Sound like it to me.
The small pieces of pasta were probably ditalini.

Speaking of minestrone, I've been meaning to try
making some Tyler Florence had on his Ultimate show.

> It may be weird to some people that I can get to 38 years old and only
> just discovered soup, but I never had the inclination, not realizing how
> much better than tinned it is!

I don't think it's weird because I wasn't much for soup
because all I had growing up was canned. Making your
own is so much better.

> Does anyone have a great soup recipe?
> what's your favorite?

I'm partial to Joan Lunden's chicken tortilla soup, though I
often make it with sausage rather than chicken, and I don't bother
with the tortilla. Heh. It's one of my signature dishes on
recfoodcooking.com.

Today I was planning to make cheddar cauliflower soup.
I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com that looked like what I
wanted. Cauliflower and white cheddar soup:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caulifl...up/Detail.aspx

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Today I was planning to make cheddar cauliflower soup.
> I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com that looked like what I
> wanted. Cauliflower and white cheddar soup:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caulifl...up/Detail.aspx

I just put in the crockpot:

"Autumn Konfusion Soop"

- five big diced sweet potatoes (peeled, natch; my store had sweet potatoes
for 19 cents/lb so I've got like 20 pounds, and will return tomorrow to get
more...)

- six big ribs of diced celery

- one diced red bell pepper

- one bunch of sliced leeks

- two large onions, diced and lightly browned in butter

- one head garlic, cut up and lightly sauteed with the onions above

- three jalapenos, diced and sauteed with the onions and garlic above (I
added some balsamico and a pinch of sugar to "caramelize" a bit these three
ingredients)

- one pound bag of frozen Eye - talian flat green beans

- can of corn

- bag of diced carrots

- quart of homemade chicken stock

- some Eye - talian sausage (link, about 1 3/4 lbs.), sauted and cut into
pieces

- added some curry powder, salt n' peppa, paprika, dried Eye - talian
seasoning, etc. for seasoning...

[Usually with these crockpot soups I'll add a four oz. can of Thai curry
paste (Maesri brand is my usual), makes it nice and spicy. I've only one
can left, "Sour Curry Paste" in the orange can and in looking at the
ingredients I see it's "30% barracuda fish"..uh no, not today, lol. I'll
save it for something "seafood" I guess...]

Near the end of the cooking time I'll prolly add some frozen peas...

I could have put a package of frozen spinach in it but because of gout
spinach is a BIG no - no :-(

It's one of my "garbage" concoctions, made with what I have on hand, I think
it'll be pretty good...could be garnished with shredded cheddar cheese and
served with cornbread I guess.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah" > wrote in
.uk:

> Hi all, especially serene and sf the soup experts?!
> I've never made my own soup before, but after having tried home made
> soup on two occasions in the last week, brought in to work by
> colleagues, I really want to have a go. The first soup I tried (my
> first experience of home made soup) was a 3 bean soup that contained
> chicken and bacon, I can't get hold of the recipe short of torturing
> the junior doctor that made it. (this may be an option next week when
> I'm back at work!) I was a little reluctant, due to only having had
> tinned soup, to even partake of the soup, but after one taste I could
> have eaten the whole container! The second was brought in by a
> colleague, who's Dutch partner had made tomato and chilli soup, with
> very small pieces of pasta, like a minestrone, she wasn't exactly sure
> how he'd made it. It may be weird to some people that I can get to 38
> years old and only just discovered soup, but I never had the
> inclination, not realizing how much better than tinned it is!
> Does anyone have a great soup recipe?
> what's your favorite?
> please share,
>
> Sarah

This one is good

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Vadalia Onion Chowder

Soups/Chowders/Stews

4 slices bacon -chopped bite sized; -not crumbled
2 tbsp olive oil; or use bacon fat
4 vadialia onions; sliced
2-3 cups mashed potatoes (leftovers); I used 3
4 cloves garlic; minced
2 boxes chicken stock (approx 30 oz)
2 cups corn kernels (I used 2 cans)
2 bay leaf; (optional)
1/4 tsp dried thyme
fresh ground black pepper; LOTS
salt to taste
sour cream; see note*

Fry the bacon crisp. drain well the bacon and reserve. (Used later.)
Heat oil in large pot. low medium to med heat.
Make the onions bite sized, add to pot, cook till tender, about 10 min.
Mince the garlic, add to pot, cook 1 minute or so more.
Add broth, potatoes, corn, bay leaves, thyme. Bring the soup to a boil.
Remove the pot from the heat. Remove the bay leaves. Season with
pepper. Add sour cream.

*Note add the sour cream just before serving by the tablespoon per bowl.
This freezes better without the sour cream.
Serve in soup bowls, and sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.
this recipe needs more garlic than called for.
Note: I just stirred the crumbled bacon in with the whole batch.
Don't be shy with the garlic.

I used some turkey Stock in with this (excellent.)
Used 5 or 6 sweet onions
6-7 potatoes served as mashed.

I Didn't have vidalia onions so i used locally grown sweet onions
instead.

I added a grated carrot for colour.

I think some brocolli florets might be nice as well for colour

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene > wrote in news:5qe0j9FvfaunU1
@mid.individual.net:

> A note on one of the soups you mentioned: I don't add uncooked
> pasta directly to the soup unless the soup really needs thickening.
> Instead, I cook the pasta separately and add it at the end.

Only add the cooked pasta to the bowl at serving time. That is if you
attempt to store a pasta soup in the fridge over night or so...the pasta
will suck up the broth and get very soggy and weird tasting plus a fair bit
of the broth will be tied up in the pasta

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dawn > wrote in news:4741d42b$0$24306
:

> Notes: Instead of stuffing the vegetable mixture through a sieve, puree
> it in a food processor. Can be served cold.

I find a wand or stick blender is nice for this part as you can do it right
in the soup pot, no carrying and pouring hot soup, and there's less to
clean afterwards,

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah" wrote:

> I've never made my own soup before, but after having tried home made soup on
> two occasions in the last week, brought in to work by colleagues, I really
> want to have a go. The first soup I tried (my first experience of home made
> soup) was a 3 bean soup that contained chicken and bacon, I can't get hold
> of the recipe short of torturing the junior doctor that made it. (this may
> be an option next week when I'm back at work!) I was a little reluctant, due
> to only having had tinned soup, to even partake of the soup, but after one
> taste I could have eaten the whole container!
> The second was brought in by a colleague, who's Dutch partner had made
> tomato and chilli soup, with very small pieces of pasta, like a minestrone,
> she wasn't exactly sure how he'd made it.
> It may be weird to some people that I can get to 38 years old and only just
> discovered soup, but I never had the inclination, not realizing how much
> better than tinned it is!

You know, people think, oh, it's just soup, if Campbells can do it I
certainly should be able to do much better, wrong! A high quality
soup with balanced flavor, proper texture, and excellent eye appeal is
without any question whatsover the most difficult type of cooking
there is.. no ifs, ands, or buts about it... no soup made following a
recipe can possibly be better than canned... soup made by recipe is
exactly precisely like paint by numbers is art.

You're 38 years old... what can you actually cook... can you cook a
stew better than canned? If not you have about as much chance of
cooking soup better than canned as you do at 38 of becoming an Olympic
gymnast. I seriously suggest you invest in a new can opener and a
bib.

Sheldon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah > wrote:

> Does anyone have a great soup recipe?

Soups are a whole world unto themselves, so it would pay to try to be
more specific as to your preferences regarding ingredients, types,
consistencies, provenience, etc. You say you never cooked them, but
surely you have eaten more than just a couple before? Try this Czech
recipe for bramborová polévka, potato soup, from Time-Life _Recipes: The
Cooking of Vienna's Empire_, compiled by Joseph Wechsberg, as an example
of a simple, but great soup.

Victor

Bramborová Polévka
Potato Soup

To serve 4 to 6

2 pounds (about 4 medium-sized) boiling potatoes
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup diced parsnips (1/2-inch dice)
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup diced carrots (1/2-inch dice)
2 tablespoons flour
1 quart chicken stock, fresh or canned
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 chopped mushrooms, fresh or dried (dried mushrooms should be soaked
and drained)

Cook the unpeeled potatoes for 6 to 8 minutes in boiling water to cover,
then peel and dice them into 1/2-inch chunks. Melt the butter in a
heavy 4-quart saucepan or a soup kettle over medium heat. Add the
potatoes, celery, parsnips, onions and carrots. Let the vegetables
cook, uncovered, in the butter, stirring them occasionally, for about 10
minutes, or until they are lightly browned. Sprinkle the flour evenly
over the vegetables, then stir them until they are all well coated.

Add the stock, marjoram, salt, a few grindings of pepper and mushrooms.
Bring the soup to a boil on high heat, stirring almost constantly.
Reduce the heat to very low and partially cover the pot. Simmer for 25
to 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Taste for seasoning.

Serve in individual soup bowls or in a heated soup tureen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:51:52 GMT, "Sarah" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

<snip>

>Does anyone have a great soup recipe?
>what's your favorite?
>please share,

Oh, my - I love soup, all sorts of soup, and have quite a few recipes
that are tried and true. If any of the following are of interest, I'd
be happy to either post or email the recipe(s). To name a few:

White Bean and Ham Hock Soup
Classic Black Bean Soup
Beef and Barley Soup
Cheddar Cheese Soup
Gazpacho
Cream of Asparagus Soup
Split Pea Soup
Leak and Potato Soup
Shrimp Bisque
Asparagus and Morel Soup
Mulligatawny
Fresh Mushroom Bisque (which, of course, isn't a traditional bisque,
but I didn't name it!)
Fresh Tomato Bisque
New England Clam Chowder

And then there are the stews, which are another winter favorite!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 4:14 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> "Sarah" wrote:
>
> > I've never made my own soup before, but after having tried home made soup on
> > two occasions in the last week, brought in to work by colleagues, I really
> > want to have a go. The first soup I tried (my first experience of home made
> > soup) was a 3 bean soup that contained chicken and bacon, I can't get hold
> > of the recipe short of torturing the junior doctor that made it. (this may
> > be an option next week when I'm back at work!) I was a little reluctant, due
> > to only having had tinned soup, to even partake of the soup, but after one
> > taste I could have eaten the whole container!
> > The second was brought in by a colleague, who's Dutch partner had made
> > tomato and chilli soup, with very small pieces of pasta, like a minestrone,
> > she wasn't exactly sure how he'd made it.
> > It may be weird to some people that I can get to 38 years old and only just
> > discovered soup, but I never had the inclination, not realizing how much
> > better than tinned it is!

> You know, people think, oh, it's just soup, if Campbells can do it I
> certainly should be able to do much better, wrong! A high quality
> soup with balanced flavor, proper texture, and excellent eye appeal is
> without any question whatsover the most difficult type of cooking
> there is.. no ifs, ands, or buts about it... no soup made following a
> recipe can possibly be better than canned... soup made by recipe is
> exactly precisely like paint by numbers is art.
>
> You're 38 years old... what can you actually cook... can you cook a
> stew better than canned? If not you have about as much chance of
> cooking soup better than canned as you do at 38 of becoming an Olympic
> gymnast. I seriously suggest you invest in a new can opener and a
> bib.
>
> Sheldon.

I presume this is tongue in cheek, as canned soups are awful.

I make soup a lot, but don't really use a recipe, but here goes:

1. Make stock by boiling neck bones of beef for a couple of hours,
then remove the bones.

2. Season up the stock. I like to use left-over pasta sauce as it
gives it a nice color, or pasta sauce from a jar. It is very cheap.
Then add the usual stuff, garlic, salt, pepper, soy sauce,
Worcestershire sauce, parsley, dill, bay leaf. Whatever you fancy.
Just put stuff in until it tastes right, but go easy on the salt and
add a little at a time. There is salt in combination seasoning too, so
don't overdo it.

3. Chop up vegetables, usually celery, carrots, onions, sweet
potatoes. You can use cabbage too, but it can make you fart a lot.
Simmer the vegetables in the stock for an hour, and your soup should
be ready.

4. If you want a beet soup (borsht), you get the most bang for your
buck by grating the fresh beetroots before cooking rather than
slicing. If you make this soup, then don't use a thickener, because it
is nice to have the clear red stock. You CAN use tinned beets, but I
don't recommend. You can stir in sour cream at time of serving.

5. You can add other stuff like mushrooms.

6. Garnish with fresh green onions or parsley. I usually make herb
dumplings, but you can use croutons or something too.

7. You can thicken it with breadcrumbs or with cornflour, or flour,
but be careful after thickening as it will easily burn if not stirred.

8. You can do the same thing with chicken carcass for stock, but with
chicken stock it is best to refrigerate it, then take off the skin and
fat before proceeding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Sarah" > wrote:

> Does anyone have a great soup recipe?
> what's your favorite?
> please share,

Hardwa

A stick blender and a 2 quart pot. Oh, and a spoon.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds of asparagus or broccoli or cauliflower coarse chopped.
1/4 stick butter.
1 pint of cream.
salt and pepper to taste (white or black pepper, your choice)
3 tablespoons flour shaken in a cup of water. (optional for thickening).

Method:

Boil the vegetable of your choice above until very tender (well done) in
enough water to cover but not any more. Add water during cooking if need
be to keep the vegetables barely covered with it. Do not drain.
Apply the stick blender in the pot until the vegetable you chose is to
the consistency you want. Chunky, lightly chunky or finer.
Add the butter and cream.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the flour/water mixture if you want the soup thicker and stir until
the soup thickens. This is for texture only, not for taste.

I make something like this for all three vegetables. I've never measured
anything. What's not to like?

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> "Sarah" wrote:
>>
>> It may be weird to some people that I can get to 38 years old and only
>> just
>> discovered soup, but I never had the inclination, not realizing how much
>> better than tinned it is!

> You know, people think, oh, it's just soup, if Campbells can do it I
> certainly should be able to do much better, wrong! A high quality
> soup with balanced flavor, proper texture, and excellent eye appeal is
> without any question whatsover the most difficult type of cooking
> there is.. no ifs, ands, or buts about it... no soup made following a
> recipe can possibly be better than canned... soup made by recipe is
> exactly precisely like paint by numbers is art.
>
> You're 38 years old... what can you actually cook... can you cook a
> stew better than canned? If not you have about as much chance of
> cooking soup better than canned as you do at 38 of becoming an Olympic
> gymnast. I seriously suggest you invest in a new can opener and a
> bib.
>
> Sheldon.

I can cook a great stew, but never thought soup was worth the trouble of all
the prep, until of course I tried good home made soup.
I don't use a 'recipe' for my stews, but thought for the first attempt at
soup it might be wise.

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:51:52 GMT, "Sarah" >
> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Does anyone have a great soup recipe?
>>what's your favorite?
>>please share,

> Oh, my - I love soup, all sorts of soup, and have quite a few recipes
> that are tried and true. If any of the following are of interest, I'd
> be happy to either post or email the recipe(s). To name a few:
>
> White Bean and Ham Hock Soup
> Classic Black Bean Soup
> Beef and Barley Soup
> Cheddar Cheese Soup
> Gazpacho
> Cream of Asparagus Soup
> Split Pea Soup
> Leak and Potato Soup
> Shrimp Bisque
> Asparagus and Morel Soup
> Mulligatawny
> Fresh Mushroom Bisque (which, of course, isn't a traditional bisque,
> but I didn't name it!)
> Fresh Tomato Bisque
> New England Clam Chowder
>
> And then there are the stews, which are another winter favorite!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> --
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>

> To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Hi Terry,

the fresh tomato bisque sounds interesting, as does the beef and barley,
could you post the recipes please. I think I will be more successful with
ingredients I know, and DH will give these a try!
Thanks

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> [...]

> pepper. Add sour cream.
>

> *Note add the sour cream just before serving by the tablespoon per bowl.
> This freezes better without the sour cream.
> Serve in soup bowls, and sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.
> this recipe needs more garlic than called for.
> Note: I just stirred the crumbled bacon in with the whole batch.
> Don't be shy with the garlic.
>
> I used some turkey Stock in with this (excellent.)
> Used 5 or 6 sweet onions
> 6-7 potatoes served as mashed.
>
> I Didn't have vidalia onions so i used locally grown sweet onions
> instead.
>
> I added a grated carrot for colour.
>
> I think some brocolli florets might be nice as well for colour
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.83 **
>

> --
>
> The house of the burning beet-Alan
>
> It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-

Sounds good, will save to try!

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is another good soup. I got it thru a site I believe is called
http://www.soupsong.com/ mentioned by Jill Q a while ago. I make a turkey
version mostly.

I make soups in large quantities (2-4 gallons at a go) and adjust the
ingredients accordingly, but this is the original recipe as far as I
know/remember.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Chicken And Wild Rice Chowder

Soups/Chowders/Stews

4 cooked bonless, skinless chicken breasts sliced
1 cup carrots chopped
1 cup celery chopped
1 cup mushrooms sliced
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
28 oz chicken broth
3/4 cup cooked wild rice
1 1/2 cup half and half
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Over medium heat in the butter cook the carrots, celery and mushrooms
till tender. Stir in the flour and add the broth, chicken breast, wild
rice and pepper...bring to a simmer and simmer till thickened. Add the
half and half heat thru and serve

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah" > wrote in message
.uk...

> Sarah

Hope I don't get flamed for this, but, Sarah, to learn about soups your own
way, and to not get wrapped up in this or that recipe,

buy some what you consider store-bought soup stock. Someone on this site
turned me onto Minor's brand http://www.soupbase.com/

Buy some chicken stock and some beef stock, or even vegetarian if you prefer
it, though it's usually more costly.

Start out by adding any kind of vegetable, onion, garlic, carrots, cut
anyway you wish.

Add any spice or herb you want to experiment with.

Add any noodle, rice or bean you want.

Add any meat you have, left-over, canned, anything.

And you've always got a meal on your table.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah" > wrote in message
.uk...
> Hi all, especially serene and sf the soup experts?!
> I've never made my own soup before, but after having tried home made soup
> on two occasions in the last week, brought in to work by colleagues, I
> really want to have a go. The first soup I tried (my first experience of
> home made soup) was a 3 bean soup that contained chicken and bacon, I
> can't get hold of the recipe short of torturing the junior doctor that
> made it. (this may be an option next week when I'm back at work!) I was a
> little reluctant, due to only having had tinned soup, to even partake of
> the soup, but after one taste I could have eaten the whole container!
> The second was brought in by a colleague, who's Dutch partner had made
> tomato and chilli soup, with very small pieces of pasta, like a
> minestrone, she wasn't exactly sure how he'd made it.
> It may be weird to some people that I can get to 38 years old and only
> just discovered soup, but I never had the inclination, not realizing how
> much better than tinned it is!
> Does anyone have a great soup recipe?
> what's your favorite?
> please share,
>
> Sarah

Turkey Pastina

This is my favorite T-day leftover, I was taught it by a wonderful Sicilian
lady who was a master of soup. It's all about the wonderful stock you get
from the turkey carcass--(you have to figure that out on your own). Once you
have a good turkey stock, bring about 4 cups to a simmer and throw in a
handful of pastina (tiny little pasta bits about the diameter of
spaghetti--use orzo or even alphabets if you can't find it). When the
pastina is tender, stir in a beaten egg, a handful of sliced green onions,
and a handful of grated parmesan. It's really simple, but really, really
good.

Cheers!
Mo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mo wrote:

> Turkey Pastina

My mom's pastina is really good, too. It's onions fried in butter
or schmaltz, chicken hearts and gizzards, pastina, and chicken stock
or water. Oh, man. So good. She cooks it in a slow-cooker until
it's all soupy and delicious. (I pick out the gizzards.)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:24:35 GMT, "Sarah" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>the fresh tomato bisque sounds interesting, as does the beef and barley,
>could you post the recipes please. I think I will be more successful with
>ingredients I know, and DH will give these a try!

My pleasu

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Fresh Tomato Bisque

soups and stews

2 pounds ripe tomatoes; about 6
1 medium onion; sliced thin
1 tablespoon butter
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon brown sugar; heaping
2 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons basil; finely chopped
1/2 pint light cream
1 cup milk
6 large croutons
butter
2 tablespoons chives

Skin and seed tomatoes. Saute onion in butter. Add tomatoes, bay leaf,
sugar, cloves, salt, pepper and basil. Simmer, stirring occasionally,
until tomatoes are thoroughly cooked, about 25 mins. Remove bay leaf
and cloves. Transfer mixture to blend and puree (or strain through a
coarse sieve). Add cream and milk. Heat through.

Serve with toasted buttered croutons. Sprinkle with chopped chives.

Contributor: rec.food.cooking (Kay Hartman via Mimi Hiller)

Yield: 6 servings

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Beef Barley Soup

soups and stews

1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch c; ubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 large stalk celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
1/2 cup uncooked barley

Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the bouillon through
the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
35 minutes.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Sarah" > wrote:

> Hi all, especially serene and sf the soup experts?!
> I've never made my own soup before, but after having tried home made soup on
> two occasions in the last week, brought in to work by colleagues, I really
> want to have a go.

My favorite is stone soup. You take a big pot of water, and add a stone.

That's it. It needs to be a community effort, though, and people tend
to add other stuff. Nobody knows what, just whatever people bring.

My wife will be doing this at church. The kids will each bring
something in to add. No telling what.

How's that for a recipe?

My wife has done this many times. It is always delicious. There needs
to be supervision. Dried beans don't work, unless they are precooked.
Some meats need to be precooked. If there are vegetarians (which there
are at our church), then meat needs to go in a different pot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> My favorite is stone soup. You take a big pot of water, and add a stone.

Oh, yes, how could I forget! Stone soup is a fave of mine, too. If
I hold a cook-in in the spring, we're definitely having stone soup.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:38:27 -0800, Serene >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Dan Abel wrote:
>
>> My favorite is stone soup. You take a big pot of water, and add a stone.

>Oh, yes, how could I forget! Stone soup is a fave of mine, too. If
>I hold a cook-in in the spring, we're definitely having stone soup.

So, Serene - where would this cookin be? <blink!><blink!><blink!>

And where are all the Sandy Eggo/Orange County foodies? Our dear aulde
Charlie has faded off the scene - anyone hear from him lately?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:38:27 -0800, Serene >
> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>> Dan Abel wrote:
>>
>>> My favorite is stone soup. You take a big pot of water, and add a stone.

>> Oh, yes, how could I forget! Stone soup is a fave of mine, too. If
>> I hold a cook-in in the spring, we're definitely having stone soup.

> So, Serene - where would this cookin be? <blink!><blink!><blink!>

Christine and I were talking about maybe doing one in the SF Bay
Area in the spring. She may be moving back here in the winter.

Serene, who managed to miss all the SD cookins when she lived there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:21:32 -0800, Serene >
wrote:

>Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>> So, Serene - where would this cookin be? <blink!><blink!><blink!>

>Christine and I were talking about maybe doing one in the SF Bay
>Area in the spring. She may be moving back here in the winter.
>
>Serene, who managed to miss all the SD cookins when she lived there

Ack!!! Not so fast!!

If I get there during the winter, it would be a traveling contract and
not permanent. I would be there for my usual 13 week contract.

If the winter isn't bad, I will try to stay here til summer... I don't
like snow and ice. Depends on if I can get a contract here where I
want it, and if the forces combine to give us milder, dry winter.

If not, California here I come for at least 13 weeks.

Permanent would be like a year or so from now...maybe less, but more
than likely fall and even then it will more than likely be with
company provided housing. At least for the time being...until I can
find a house and get all my stuff back there.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:21:32 -0800, Serene >
> wrote:
>
>> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>>> So, Serene - where would this cookin be? <blink!><blink!><blink!>

>> Christine and I were talking about maybe doing one in the SF Bay
>> Area in the spring. She may be moving back here in the winter.
>>
>> Serene, who managed to miss all the SD cookins when she lived there

> Ack!!! Not so fast!!

Oops, sorry. I have this ability to get details all wrong. :-)

> If I get there during the winter, it would be a traveling contract and
> not permanent. I would be there for my usual 13 week contract.

Well, 13 weeks is a long time. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:40:56 -0800, Serene >
wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:

>> If I get there during the winter, it would be a traveling contract and
>> not permanent. I would be there for my usual 13 week contract.

>Well, 13 weeks is a long time. :-)
>
>Serene

Yes, and we could certainly plan for something!! Even if it is a
small northern Cal cook-in.

Christine

Soup recipes Dimitri General Cooking 54 01-11-2009 06:19 PM
Tomato Soup recipes? Michael O'Connor General Cooking 9 21-12-2008 01:33 PM
Holiday Soup Recipes [email protected] Baking 0 11-12-2006 02:01 PM
Two soup recipes Zhaohui Zhou General 0 24-12-2003 12:04 AM
Vegetable Soup Recipes Rubystars Vegan 7 09-11-2003 02:55 PM