Rob

Default Range: Convection or conventional?

Hi,

In two weeks my wife and I will take delivery of a new fridge and range,
to go in our first house. We're considering a ceramic top range, and I'm
thinking of one with a convection oven.

I'd be interested to know what advantages and disadvantages convection
ovens have, compared with conventional ovens. An appliance sales person
told us convection ovens typically save about 30 per cent of cooking
time, and this alone may make the extra $200 Cdn worth the time savings.

Most of the oven cooking we do is simple, such as pork chops, steaks,
the odd roast chicken, pork or beast, and some baking for desserts.

Thanks in advance,

Rob in Winnipeg

Bob Pastorio

Rob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In two weeks my wife and I will take delivery of a new fridge and range,
> to go in our first house. We're considering a ceramic top range, and I'm
> thinking of one with a convection oven.
>
> I'd be interested to know what advantages and disadvantages convection
> ovens have, compared with conventional ovens. An appliance sales person
> told us convection ovens typically save about 30 per cent of cooking
> time, and this alone may make the extra $200 Cdn worth the time savings.
>
> Most of the oven cooking we do is simple, such as pork chops, steaks,
> the odd roast chicken, pork or beast, and some baking for desserts.

I have both kinds. I use the conventional oven for broiling and
everything else get done in the convection.

Pastorio

-L.

Rob > wrote in message news:<mjHkb.130647$6C4.119251@pd7tw1no>...
> Hi,
>
> In two weeks my wife and I will take delivery of a new fridge and range,
> to go in our first house. We're considering a ceramic top range, and I'm
> thinking of one with a convection oven.
>
> I'd be interested to know what advantages and disadvantages convection
> ovens have, compared with conventional ovens. An appliance sales person
> told us convection ovens typically save about 30 per cent of cooking
> time, and this alone may make the extra $200 Cdn worth the time savings.
>
> Most of the oven cooking we do is simple, such as pork chops, steaks,
> the odd roast chicken, pork or beast, and some baking for desserts.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rob in Winnipeg

Hi Rob,

Up until March, I had never had a convection oven. We moved into a
home with a new Jenn-Air gas range with convection roasting and baking
features (as well as regular roasting and baking settings). I love
it! It makes particularly yummy roasted chickens and turkeys (or so
my DH says - I'm veg) - we don't eat pork, so have no data there. I
use the convection roasting feature for reheating meals - 15 minutes
at 350, and it's all good. When I bake desserts or fish, I use the
regular baking setting. When using the convection roasting feature, I
do save a little time - usually 1/4 to 1/3. Not a big difference, but
the end product is much superior to what I produced in my previous
ovens.

I will probably buy ovens with convection features in the future, as
this one has been great. I certainly have no complaints.

HTH,
-L.
Hahabogus

Rob > wrote in news:mjHkb.130647$6C4.119251@pd7tw1no:

> Hi,
>
> In two weeks my wife and I will take delivery of a new fridge and range,
> to go in our first house. We're considering a ceramic top range, and I'm
> thinking of one with a convection oven.
>
> I'd be interested to know what advantages and disadvantages convection
> ovens have, compared with conventional ovens. An appliance sales person
> told us convection ovens typically save about 30 per cent of cooking
> time, and this alone may make the extra $200 Cdn worth the time savings.
>
> Most of the oven cooking we do is simple, such as pork chops, steaks,
> the odd roast chicken, pork or beast, and some baking for desserts.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rob in Winnipeg

I think you'll love the convection oven, but hate the ceramic cook-top.