FoodBanter.com

-   -   San Diego Cook-In (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/1406-san-diego-cook.html)

David Barto 20-10-2003 01:52 AM

San Diego Cook-In

Hello All,

This is Katherine Barto. We had a great time,
even though some people said they would come and didn't.
So of course we had way too much food, oh dear.

Now I finally figured out why so many others
have been hosts: tons of food left here! We ate so much
last night that for dinner we are going to have some of
Christine's Corfu style roasted vegies and bread for the
sopping of the wonderful juices. Oh yeah, and some wine.

I want to thank the Academy, no...no... that is
a different speach. I want to thank everyone who came.
Especially Koko, the B-day girl, who cleaned the kichen.
I kept telling her that David is trained to do that.

Christine spent at least two hours working on
three fantastic vegie dishes. There are left over squash
blossoms and filling too. We will probably cook those up
tonight too. She stopped by our Farmer's market about
a mile down our street and was inspired.

Jamie was a gem of course and took care of the
drawing for charity. Charliam, Koko and I, ha,ha, all
won great food and or wines. Our basket was loaded up
by Mimi Hiller. She is a very classy lady, and knows
everything about cook-ins.

One more thing-someone left a light blue sweatshirt
outside. All in all I think everyone had a good time and
we look forward to hosting again in early June. Koko will
be posting the food list and who brought what.

Debbie and Peter MacLeod know all about the
child labor laws. Son, Stuart, makes sushi, and daughter,
Catherine helped Jamie, by selling tickets. (We had
three "Katherines at the cook-in!)

Thank you everyone! and please come back for
the spring wild flowers.

Katherine Barto

Charles Gifford 20-10-2003 08:55 AM

San Diego Cook-In

"David Barto" > wrote in message
> We ate so much
> last night that for dinner we are going to have some of
> Christine's Corfu style roasted vegies and bread for the
> sopping of the wonderful juices.

I can't see how there could be much of Christine's veggies left - I ate so
very much of it!

> Jamie was a gem of course and took care of the
> drawing for charity. Charliam, Koko and I, ha,ha, all
> won great food and or wines. Our basket was loaded up
> by Mimi Hiller. She is a very classy lady, and knows
> everything about cook-ins.

It was great to see Mimi again. I was too long between times!

> Thank you everyone! and please come back for
> the spring wild flowers.
>
> Katherine Barto

We hope that many of you will start planning on attending a late Spring
Cook-In here in Sandy Eggo in 2004!

Charlie

Christine Dabney 20-10-2003 01:52 PM

San Diego Cook-In

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:55:14 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>We hope that many of you will start planning on attending a late Spring
>Cook-In here in Sandy Eggo in 2004!
>
>Charlie

Yes, indeed!

Debbie Mcleod and I discovered that one of our favorite cookbooks, is
Richard Olney's book, Lulu's Provencal Kitchen. Somehow in talking
about it, we decided it would be fun to make Bouillabaisse along with
it's attendant rouille at the cook-in in 2004, Or at least a
reasonable facsimile, since many people seem to think that a
bouillabaisse cannot be made in this country or outside of the region
it was born in. So, as of this moment, we are planning as our
contribution, a kettle of bouillabaisse or it's facsimile.

Debbie, I had another idea too, if you are reading this. I was just
looking at the book again, and one of the dishes that also intrigues
me, and would also be good for a party is a Grand Aioli. It will be
just about time for the new garlic to come in at that time, so it
would be very appropriate as well. If that idea of bouillabaisse
doesn't come together, maybe we could consider this?

Christine

Melba's Jammin' 20-10-2003 03:56 PM

San Diego Cook-In

In article . net>,
"Charles Gifford" > wrote:

> > Our basket was loaded up by Mimi Hiller. She is a very classy lady,
> > and knows everything about cook-ins.

> It was great to see Mimi again. I was too long between times!

Was Kay there? Debra?
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

Christine Dabney 20-10-2003 04:01 PM

San Diego Cook-In

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:56:52 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article . net>,
>"Charles Gifford" > wrote:
>
>> > Our basket was loaded up by Mimi Hiller. She is a very classy lady,
>> > and knows everything about cook-ins.

>> It was great to see Mimi again. I was too long between times!

>Was Kay there? Debra?

Nope.

Hope you get to the next one, Barb!

Christine

Melba's Jammin' 20-10-2003 10:31 PM

San Diego Cook-In

In article >,
wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:56:52 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> >> It was great to see Mimi again. I was too long between times!

> >Was Kay there? Debra?

> Nope.
>
> Hope you get to the next one, Barb!
>
> Christine

Ironic that I posted the question today -- in today's mail I received a
postcard from Kay and Jack. I'd forgotten their trip to Africa!
(They're having/had a wonderful time.)

Charles Gifford 21-10-2003 10:56 AM

San Diego Cook-In

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:56:52 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > > wrote:

> > >Was Kay there? Debra?

> > Nope.
> >
> > Hope you get to the next one, Barb!
> >
> > Christine

> Ironic that I posted the question today -- in today's mail I received a
> postcard from Kay and Jack. I'd forgotten their trip to Africa!
> (They're having/had a wonderful time.)
> --
> -Barb (
www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab,

too.)

And Debra has been very busy with the recall thing. Silly person. ;-)

Charlie

Rich McCormack 21-10-2003 03:42 PM

San Diego Cook-In

Great people + great food = great time. Thank you all, with a special
thanks to Charlie for bringing the SD Cook-In to my attention and to
David and Katherine for being such great hosts.

Rich and Patti

--
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created
by the individual who can labor in freedom.

-- Albert Einstein

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/

Debbie MacLeod 21-10-2003 04:10 PM

San Diego Cook-In

Christine Dabney > wrote in message >. ..
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:55:14 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>

> >We hope that many of you will start planning on attending a late Spring
> >Cook-In here in Sandy Eggo in 2004!
> >
> >Charlie
> >

> Yes, indeed!
>
> Debbie Mcleod and I discovered that one of our favorite cookbooks, is
> Richard Olney's book, Lulu's Provencal Kitchen. Somehow in talking
> about it, we decided it would be fun to make Bouillabaisse along with
> it's attendant rouille at the cook-in in 2004, Or at least a
> reasonable facsimile, since many people seem to think that a
> bouillabaisse cannot be made in this country or outside of the region
> it was born in. So, as of this moment, we are planning as our
> contribution, a kettle of bouillabaisse or it's facsimile.

"Chez Panisse Cooking" has instructions for a "fish soup in the style
of a bouillabaisse." Either we can make that, or we can have the
cook-in in Bandol.

> Debbie, I had another idea too, if you are reading this. I was just
> looking at the book again, and one of the dishes that also intrigues
> me, and would also be good for a party is a Grand Aioli. It will be
> just about time for the new garlic to come in at that time, so it
> would be very appropriate as well. If that idea of bouillabaisse
> doesn't come together, maybe we could consider this?
>
> Christine

Sounds great! I've made that particular Grand Aioli (complete with
stewed octopus) for a friend from Menton who loved it. The garlic in
my garden should be just about ready by mid-June...

Debbie

alzelt 22-10-2003 04:08 AM

San Diego Cook-In

wrote:

>>>Nope.
>>>
>>>Hope you get to the next one, Barb!
>>>
>>>Christine

>>Ironic that I posted the question today -- in today's mail I received a
>>postcard from Kay and Jack. I'd forgotten their trip to Africa!
>>(They're having/had a wonderful time.)
>>--
>>-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab,

> too.)
>
> And Debra has been very busy with the recall thing. Silly person. ;-)
>
> Charlie

So, who's up next, Dennis Miller. Wasn't this very same GOP that
constantly spews out their vitriolism about Dem celebrities talking
politics?

Ask Deb if she can get Ahnold's recipe for Linzertorte.(without steroids)
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Debra Fritz 27-10-2003 12:25 AM

San Diego Cook-In

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:56:52 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article . net>,
>"Charles Gifford" > wrote:
>
>> > Our basket was loaded up by Mimi Hiller. She is a very classy lady,
>> > and knows everything about cook-ins.

>> It was great to see Mimi again. I was too long between times!

>Was Kay there? Debra?

No, unfortunately, I had made a commitment for that day long before
the cookin was set up and couldn't weasel out of it:(:(

I talked to Jamie and explained it to her, and I hope she explained to
Charlie...because it just killed me to miss seeing him again, and all
the other folks.

Debra

Debra Fritz 27-10-2003 12:27 AM

San Diego Cook-In

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:31:57 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Ironic that I posted the question today -- in today's mail I received a
>postcard from Kay and Jack. I'd forgotten their trip to Africa!
>(They're having/had a wonderful time.)

I got a post card too...They got home I **think** last Friday. I'm
going to call them tonight to find out about the trip.

Debra

Debra Fritz 27-10-2003 12:31 AM

San Diego Cook-In

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:08:10 GMT, alzelt
> wrote:

>> So, who's up next, Dennis Miller. Wasn't this very same GOP that

>constantly spews out their vitriolism about Dem celebrities talking
>politics?

LOL....Look Alan, both sides spew their garbage equally....one is no
better than the other. As for "next", I hope we are done for a while.

>Ask Deb if she can get Ahnold's recipe for Linzertorte.(without steroids)

I did get to meet him but no luck with the recipe. He wanted to talk
about other things...like winning the election:):) Perhaps after he
takes office I can see if he will publish some of his favorites..and
use the proceeds to pay off some of the debt we have!

Debra

alzelt 27-10-2003 03:16 AM

San Diego Cook-In

Debra Fritz wrote:

> I did get to meet him but no luck with the recipe. He wanted to talk
> about other things...like winning the election:):) Perhaps after he
> takes office I can see if he will publish some of his favorites..and
> use the proceeds to pay off some of the debt we have!
>
> Debra

Must be tough. Poor guy has to find another way to make money. Oh well,
he was getting too old for the muscle flicks. Maybe he and Stalone can
make one together, in an old folks home. :)

Charles Gifford 27-10-2003 09:18 AM

San Diego Cook-In

"Debra Fritz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:56:52 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> >> It was great to see Mimi again. I was too long between times!

> >Was Kay there? Debra?

> No, unfortunately, I had made a commitment for that day long before
> the cookin was set up and couldn't weasel out of it:(:(
>
> I talked to Jamie and explained it to her, and I hope she explained to
> Charlie...because it just killed me to miss seeing him again, and all
> the other folks.
>
> Debra

She did and I missed you Debra. I'm looking forward to next time!

Charlie