Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Circa 1975: LAUSD Peanut Butter Cookie Bars?

For YEARS I have been wishing for the recipe for the peanut butter
cookies that I had as a kid in elementary school in the mid-to
late-70's. They used to sell them for .15 each and they were cut into
big bars. I was in 2nd grade and at "nutrition" break we would run up
to a side door at the cafeteria and could get these cookies and milk
(or chocolate milk, the ultimate combination!) or orange juice (which
was .15; milk was .10)

Anyway, I was going to try and send a note to the LA Times, since they
were so kind as to print the LAUSD coffee cake recipe back in 1995,
and see if they might be able to get the peanut butter cookie recipe.
I made that coffee cake last year and took it to my work, and walked
around asking people if they went to school here in Los Angeles. If
they did, I would say "do you remember the coffee cake?" which was
always met with a heartfelt "Yeah!" then I'd give them a piece of what
I'd made and then just watched the swooning ensue.

I'll post the coffee cake recipe in another message, since I mentioned
it. But if anyone happens to have that cookie recipe, I would be
thrilled. I've made lots of great peanut butter cookies but none of
them are quite the same as the ones from Toluca Lake Elementary around
1976.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> For YEARS I have been wishing for the recipe for the peanut butter
> cookies that I had as a kid in elementary school in the mid-to
> late-70's. They used to sell them for .15 each and they were cut into
> big bars. I was in 2nd grade and at "nutrition" break we would run up
> to a side door at the cafeteria and could get these cookies and milk
> (or chocolate milk, the ultimate combination!) or orange juice (which
> was .15; milk was .10)
>
> Anyway, I was going to try and send a note to the LA Times, since they
> were so kind as to print the LAUSD coffee cake recipe back in 1995,
> and see if they might be able to get the peanut butter cookie recipe.
> I made that coffee cake last year and took it to my work, and walked
> around asking people if they went to school here in Los Angeles. If
> they did, I would say "do you remember the coffee cake?" which was
> always met with a heartfelt "Yeah!" then I'd give them a piece of what
> I'd made and then just watched the swooning ensue.
>
> I'll post the coffee cake recipe in another message, since I mentioned
> it. But if anyone happens to have that cookie recipe, I would be
> thrilled. I've made lots of great peanut butter cookies but none of
> them are quite the same as the ones from Toluca Lake Elementary around
> 1976.

Jen, I look forward to seeing the coffee cake recipe. Good luck on
finding the recipe for the peanut butter cookie bars.

Becca

Ob Food:

Cheesy Chicken & Cauliflower Chowder

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, sliced
3 cups chopped cauliflower (about 1 head)
2 cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon Splenda
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
Kosher salt and black pepper
3 cups cubed cooked chicken
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded

In a large saucepan, saute the garlic and onion in olive oil and butter
until soft. Add carrots, cauliflower, broth, Splenda, nutmeg, basil,
salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes
or until vegetables are tender. Add chicken and heat through. In a small
bowl combine flour and milk until smooth. Add to chicken mixture. Bring
to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove
from heat. Add cream cheese and cheddar. Stir until melted.

Makes 8 servings.