Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Smashing shallots/onions with hand?

Okay I am watching this ** movie about some gypsies. They stopped their car
along the side of the road and began cooking lunch over a small fire. The
guy peeled a couple of what appeared to be shallots or small onions, then
smashed them onto what looked like a cutting board with his bare hand. They
split into a bunch of small pieces. He threw them into a pan along with a
few tomatoes that he squeezed. It was cooked, then the three of them ate
this stuff out of the pan with forks. The older man referred to the stuff
as salad and said he liked it hot. The scene was set in the winter.

Anyway... My question is... Have you ever heard of doing this? I know you
can smash garlic, but this sure didn't look like garlic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:10:35 GMT, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Okay I am watching this ** movie about some gypsies. They stopped their
>> car
>> along the side of the road and began cooking lunch over a small fire.
>> The
>> guy peeled a couple of what appeared to be shallots or small onions, then
>> smashed them onto what looked like a cutting board with his bare hand.
>> They
>> split into a bunch of small pieces. He threw them into a pan along with
>> few tomatoes that he squeezed. It was cooked, then the three of them ate
>> this stuff out of the pan with forks. The older man referred to the
>> stuff
>> as salad and said he liked it hot. The scene was set in the winter.
>>
>> Anyway... My question is... Have you ever heard of doing this? I know
>> you
>> can smash garlic, but this sure didn't look like garlic.

> What was the movie? What country were they in?
>
> I'm guessing garlic. I don't know of any other fruit or veggie
> that would break into pieces like that.

It's called Transylvania and it's set in Romania. I suppose it might have
been elephant garlic but it didn't look like it to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:31:55 GMT, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> It's called Transylvania and it's set in Romania. I suppose it might
>> have
>> been elephant garlic but it didn't look like it to me.

> Garlic certainly wouldn't be out of place in a Romanian movie
> called "Transylvania".

Heh. Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:26:37 GMT, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Garlic certainly wouldn't be out of place in a Romanian movie
>>> called "Transylvania".

>> Heh. Okay.

> I just started downloading the movie, but it looks like it's
> subtitled and I have trouble with subtitles on my DVD player.
> The subtitles may be French, so I'll find out...

Hmmm... The subtitles on TV were in English. I didn't watch the whole
thing. Just about the last hour of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:31:55 GMT, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > It's called Transylvania and it's set in Romania. I suppose it might have
> > been elephant garlic but it didn't look like it to me.

> Garlic certainly wouldn't be out of place in a Romanian movie
> called "Transylvania".
>
> -sw

Ahhhgh yoour perfume is simply nauseating, it smells like, it smells
like that retched garlichttp://www.draculas.info/_img/gallery/bela_lugosi_as_dracula_75.jpg

http://www.draculas.info/_img/galler...dracula_75.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Okay I am watching this ** movie about some gypsies. They stopped their
> car along the side of the road and began cooking lunch over a small fire.
> The guy peeled a couple of what appeared to be shallots or small onions,
> then smashed them onto what looked like a cutting board with his bare
> hand. They split into a bunch of small pieces. He threw them into a pan
> along with a few tomatoes that he squeezed. It was cooked, then the three
> of them ate this stuff out of the pan with forks. The older man referred
> to the stuff as salad and said he liked it hot. The scene was set in the
> winter.
>
> Anyway... My question is... Have you ever heard of doing this? I know
> you can smash garlic, but this sure didn't look like garlic.

If you cut an onion in half, and then squeeze each half like you were trying
to get juice from a lemon half, the onion's sections will separate easily.
(Probably too easily, and fly off the counter).

So, I see no reason why you couldn't smash an onion hard enough to make that
sorta happen, without cutting it first. I've got a friend who grew up in
that neck of the woods, and from what she's told me about gypsies,
anything's likely to be true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ok, so now they're in ****in' Italy. Sigh.
--