Curly Sue

Default Craisins

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:30:25 -0500, "Z GIRL" >
wrote:

>Has anyone tried these? They are dried cranberries that are flavored in
>Cherry, Orange and Strawberry . I bought them in the cherry flavor as a
>substitute for dried cherries to put in salads, at a third of the cost of
>the dried cherries.
>
>peace,
>Barbara

I've used the plain ones for baking. I like them. I haven't seen the
flavored ones though it sounds like an interesting idea.

Sue(tm)

tintalle

I have two rabbits and a guinea pig, and Craisins are their favorite
treats! The critters go mad for them, so there is always a package
around the house. I've yet to try cooking with them though, and i find
them just a touch too sweet to snack on myself, but my boyfriend enjoys
them.

Z GIRL wrote:
> Has anyone tried these? They are dried cranberries that are flavored in
> Cherry, Orange and Strawberry . I bought them in the cherry flavor as a
> substitute for dried cherries to put in salads, at a third of the cost of
> the dried cherries.
>
> peace,
> Barbara

Rick & Cyndi

"Z GIRL" > wrote in message
: Has anyone tried these? They are dried cranberries that are
flavored in
: Cherry, Orange and Strawberry . I bought them in the cherry
flavor as a
: substitute for dried cherries to put in salads, at a third of
the cost of
: the dried cherries.
:
: peace,
: Barbara
:
: =======
The Orange Craisins Rock!! I've tried a couple of different
brands that have had berries and cherries... I still prefer the
orange.
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Z GIRL"
> wrote:

> Has anyone tried these? They are dried cranberries that are flavored in
> Cherry, Orange and Strawberry . I bought them in the cherry flavor as a
> substitute for dried cherries to put in salads, at a third of the cost of
> the dried cherries.
>
> peace,
> Barbara

Sure. I've used plain craisins for years. This spring, Dimitri brought
me a coupla bags of orange-flavored oness from Trader Joe's; I put them
into a conserve I made with cherries, plums, apples, the craisins, and
toasted walnuts. It's awesome.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
jacqui{JB}

"Z GIRL" > wrote in message

> Has anyone tried these? They are dried cranberries that
> are flavored in Cherry, Orange and Strawberry . I bought
> them in the cherry flavor as a substitute for dried cherries
> to put in salads, at a third of the cost of the dried cherries.

ObBiasConfession (aka disclaimer): flavoring dried fruit to make it
taste like another fruit seems intensely wrong *to me*.

But I am curious, what are Craisins flavored with?

Of course, one can bypass Ocean Spray and its marketing and other
overhead completely, and purchase dried cranberries from Trader Joe's
or a local healthier-food store -- even some regular grocery stores --
for a lot less, as I recall (Ocean Spray's Craisins haven't made it
here yet, although it is possible to purchase Ocean Spray and other
brands of fresh cranberries, and other brands of dried cranberries).

-j

Gtwy4cb

>I have often used the plain variety in salads, wild rice, stuffings,

I put them in my Curried Pea Soup--YUMMY!!
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jacqui{JB}"
> wrote:

> "Z GIRL" > wrote in message
>
> > Has anyone tried these? They are dried cranberries that
> > are flavored in Cherry, Orange and Strawberry . I bought
> > them in the cherry flavor as a substitute for dried cherries
> > to put in salads, at a third of the cost of the dried cherries.

> ObBiasConfession (aka disclaimer): flavoring dried fruit to make it
> taste like another fruit seems intensely wrong *to me*.

Oh, I understand, Jacqui, but I don't have any dried orange bits for my
conserves. . . . The orange-flavored craisins are still tart and
tangy and cranberry-y, but have an orange note to them.

> > But I am curious, what are Craisins flavored with?

Sugar.

--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
jacqui{JB}

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> Oh, I understand, Jacqui, but I don't have any dried
> orange bits for my conserves. . . . The orange-
> flavored craisins are still tart and tangy and cranberry-y,
> but have an orange note to them.

> > But I am curious, what are Craisins flavored with?

> Sugar.

Well, yeah, I expected the sugar -- can't seem to get away from that
anywhere. Next thing you know, they'll be sweetening raisins, prunes
and dates! Anyway, I was hoping to hear what the orange (and cherry
and strawberry ... I think those were the other flavors mentioned)
flavor actually is -- real orange peel or juice or some such ... in
which case I'd prolly lose a lot of my anti-flavored bias.

-j
(yes, I'm a freak)

Dimitri

"Z GIRL" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried these? They are dried cranberries that are flavored in
> Cherry, Orange and Strawberry . I bought them in the cherry flavor as a
> substitute for dried cherries to put in salads, at a third of the cost of
> the dried cherries.
>
> peace,
> Barbara

Soak in sherry and add them (orange flavored) to fudge.

Dimitri

Ribitt

Tried the cherry flavoured ones last week in muffins instead of regular
dried cranberries and they made no discernable difference in the finished
muffins.

Nibbling on them gave a mild cherry flavour. But what's wrong with the
regular cranberry flavour?

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "jacqui{JB}"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Z GIRL" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Has anyone tried these? They are dried cranberries that
> > > are flavored in Cherry, Orange and Strawberry . I bought
> > > them in the cherry flavor as a substitute for dried cherries
> > > to put in salads, at a third of the cost of the dried cherries.

> > ObBiasConfession (aka disclaimer): flavoring dried fruit to make it
> > taste like another fruit seems intensely wrong *to me*.

> Oh, I understand, Jacqui, but I don't have any dried orange bits for my
> conserves. . . . The orange-flavored craisins are still tart and
> tangy and cranberry-y, but have an orange note to them.
>
> > > But I am curious, what are Craisins flavored with?

> Sugar.
>
> > -j

> --
> -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab,

too.)

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jacqui{JB}"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
> > Oh, I understand, Jacqui, but I don't have any dried
> > orange bits for my conserves. . . . The orange-
> > flavored craisins are still tart and tangy and cranberry-y,
> > but have an orange note to them.

> > > But I am curious, what are Craisins flavored with?

> > Sugar.

> Well, yeah, I expected the sugar -- can't seem to get away from that
> anywhere. Next thing you know, they'll be sweetening raisins, prunes
> and dates! Anyway, I was hoping to hear what the orange (and cherry
> and strawberry ... I think those were the other flavors mentioned)
> flavor actually is -- real orange peel or juice or some such ... in
> which case I'd prolly lose a lot of my anti-flavored bias.
>
> -j
> (yes, I'm a freak)

Sorry. Here's the poop from the package: cranberries, sugar, natural
orange flavor with other natural flavors, sunflower oil. (Product of
Canada)
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Tara

wrote:

>Has anyone tried these? They are dried cranberries that are flavored in
>Cherry, Orange and Strawberry . I bought them in the cherry flavor as a
>substitute for dried cherries to put in salads, at a third of the cost of
>the dried cherries.

I like the plain Craisins in a salad along with walnuts and blue
cheese.

Tara
alzelt

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "jacqui{JB}"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Z GIRL" > wrote in message
>>

>>>Has anyone tried these? They are dried cranberries that
>>>are flavored in Cherry, Orange and Strawberry . I bought
>>>them in the cherry flavor as a substitute for dried cherries
>>>to put in salads, at a third of the cost of the dried cherries.

>>ObBiasConfession (aka disclaimer): flavoring dried fruit to make it
>>taste like another fruit seems intensely wrong *to me*.

> Oh, I understand, Jacqui, but I don't have any dried orange bits for my
> conserves. . . . The orange-flavored craisins are still tart and
> tangy and cranberry-y, but have an orange note to them.
>

>>>But I am curious, what are Craisins flavored with?

> Sugar.
>

>>-j

FYI: Craisins are cheaply available at Costco.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
alzelt > wrote:
(snip)
> > Oh, I understand, Jacqui, but I don't have any dried orange bits for my
> > conserves. . . . The orange-flavored craisins are still tart and
> > tangy and cranberry-y, but have an orange note to them.

> FYI: Craisins are cheaply available at Costco.

Thanks. We don't belong to the one and only in the area -- about 40
minutes away.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> Thanks. We don't belong to the one and only in the area -- about 40
> minutes away.
> --
> -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab,

too.)

If I ever get back to Minneapolis, or you ever come to Winnipeg, we can
always use my membership! We often just go for the Polish sausage (it's a
better buy here, I think--$1.99 for that and a refillable soft drink).
Sometimes we get fries, but never with gravy and never poutine.

rona (always thinking of eating)

Z GIRL

"Ribitt" > wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
> Tried the cherry flavoured ones last week in muffins instead of regular
> dried cranberries and they made no discernable difference in the finished
> muffins.
>
> Nibbling on them gave a mild cherry flavour. But what's wrong with the
> regular cranberry flavour?

Nothing is wrong with them. I discovered Crasins when I was shopping to have
our Vegan friend over for dinner. I went to buy dried cherries, they were
$6.99 for a small container . I am not sure if it was even a whole pound.
Right next to the dried cherries were the Craisins. I saw them in the
cherry flavor for $2.29 a bag so I bought them for my salad. I was impressed
with the flavor for the price.

peace,
Barbara

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "jacqui{JB}"
> > > wrote:

> > > ObBiasConfession (aka disclaimer): flavoring dried fruit to make it
> > > taste like another fruit seems intensely wrong *to me*.

> > Oh, I understand, Jacqui, but I don't have any dried orange bits for my
> > conserves. . . . The orange-flavored craisins are still tart and
> > tangy and cranberry-y, but have an orange note to them.

> > Sugar.
> >
> > > -j

> > --
> > -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats

tab,
> too.)

sf

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:13:13 GMT, "Ribitt"
> wrote:

> Tried the cherry flavoured ones last week in muffins instead of regular
> dried cranberries and they made no discernable difference in the finished
> muffins.
>
> Nibbling on them gave a mild cherry flavour. But what's wrong with the
> regular cranberry flavour?

I thought a "craisin" was a dried cranberry. What's with
this cherry flavoring? I've never heard of it. Why not
just use dried cherries?
Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:13:13 GMT, "Ribitt"
> > wrote:
>
>> Tried the cherry flavoured ones last week in muffins instead of
>> regular dried cranberries and they made no discernable difference in
>> the finished muffins.
>>
>> Nibbling on them gave a mild cherry flavour. But what's wrong with
>> the regular cranberry flavour?
>>

> I thought a "craisin" was a dried cranberry. What's with
> this cherry flavoring? I've never heard of it. Why not
> just use dried cherries?

Price mostly. Dried cherries can easily run 3-4 times as must as dried
cranberries. Plain craisins caught on first. Since then, various
flavorings have been introduced, including cherry, orange, and raspberry.

Personally, I'd just as soon stick with the original cranberry flavor.

Wayne

sf

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:34:53 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> Plain craisins caught on first. Since then, various
> flavorings have been introduced, including cherry, orange, and raspberry.

woah! I must live a very insulated life! I've never even
heard of those flavors.

> Personally, I'd just as soon stick with the original cranberry flavor.

Me too. <W>

lea

Tara wrote:
> "Z GIRL" <> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried these? They are dried cranberries that are flavored
>> in Cherry, Orange and Strawberry . I bought them in the cherry
>> flavor as a substitute for dried cherries to put in salads, at a
>> third of the cost of the dried cherries.

> I like the plain Craisins in a salad along with walnuts and blue
> cheese.

I like plain Craisins as a snack at work.
Not sure I could 'go' the 'flavoured' ones .. it just seems ... wrong...

--
Respomnsibility is my husband's middle name