Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

Goomba38 schrieb :
<snip>
> No no.. I don't usually have stale bread sitting around. I usually buy the
> bread, cube it, and let it get stale the day before TG for use in the
> stuffing/dressing.

That doesn't work well.
Stale bread hasn't the right consistency for stuffing.
Let the bread go stale, then cut it into cubes.
Now dry those cubes (in the oven).
Use only white-bread and rolls.
That's how it's done over here.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> On Nov 14, 7:42 am, Sarah Gray > wrote:
>> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>>> Notice that they didn't put INGREDIENTS on their website.
>>> They don't want you to see, "Partially hydrogenated..."
>>> And there in no excuse for putting it in your products.

>> So don't buy them.

> I don't. I bet you don't either.

I try to stay away from trans fats. But I don;t freak out abou it or
anything.

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 4:55 pm, "Michael Kuettner" > wrote:
> Goomba38 schrieb :
> <snip>
>
> > No no.. I don't usually have stale bread sitting around. I usually buy the
> > bread, cube it, and let it get stale the day before TG for use in the
> > stuffing/dressing.

> That doesn't work well.
> Stale bread hasn't the right consistency for stuffing.
> Let the bread go stale, then cut it into cubes.
> Now dry those cubes (in the oven).
> Use only white-bread and rolls.
> That's how it's done over here.

We use completely fresh bread in our house. The only liquid in the
recipe is some butter and whatever comes out of the sausage,
onions, and celery--and, of course, what comes out of the turkey
and soaks into the stuffing.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 11:41 pm, Sarah Gray > wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo(R) wrote:
> >> So don't buy them.

> > I don't. I bet you don't either.

> I try to stay away from trans fats. But I don;t freak out abou it or
> anything.

No, and you'd better not. That's MY schtick around here

> --
>
> Sarah Gray

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo(R) wrote:
> On Nov 14, 11:41 pm, Sarah Gray > wrote:
>> Bobo Bonobo(R) wrote:
>>> I don't. I bet you don't either.

>> I try to stay away from trans fats. But I don;t freak out abou it or
>> anything.

> No, and you'd better not. That's MY schtick around here

Can I at least have preservatives? High fructose corn syrup? ya gotta
give me *something* to bitch about

--

Sarah Gray

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default CORRECTION (was: Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing)

On Nov 14, 7:26 am, Bobo Bonobo(R) > wrote:

> In fact, the only stuffing mix I've ever seen that didn't have crap in
> it came from Whole Foods. I think the brand was Chatham House.

Correction, it is Chatham Village:
http://www.marzetti.com/_admin/_incl...b_Stuffing.pdf

It's a great base. See? No bad ingredients in there.

> --Bryan

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:36:41 -0500, Sarah Gray
> wrote:

>Bobo Bonobo(R) wrote:
>>> I try to stay away from trans fats. But I don;t freak out abou it or
>>> anything.

>> No, and you'd better not. That's MY schtick around here

>Can I at least have preservatives? High fructose corn syrup? ya gotta
>give me *something* to bitch about

bitch about bobo. that's what the rest of us do.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Sarah Gray > wrote:

> Bobo Bonobo(R) wrote:

> > No, and you'd better not. That's MY schtick around here

> Can I at least have preservatives? High fructose corn syrup? ya gotta
> give me *something* to bitch about

You could always bitch about the high prices you are paying for stale
bread with stale spices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:32:03 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® >
wrote:

>On Nov 13, 11:04 pm, Sarah Gray > wrote:
>> Boron Elgar wrote:
>> > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:37:39 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® >

..

>> > No transfats at all in the product itself, as you can see below

>> > Amount Per Serving
>> > Calories 110 Calories from Fat 20
>> > % Daily Value*
>> > Total Fat 2.5g 4%
>> > Saturated Fat 0g 0%
>> > Trans Fat 0g
>> > Cholesterol 0mg 0%
>> > Sodium 460mg 19%
>> > Potassium 1mg 0%

>> > Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
>> > Dietary Fiber <1g 3%
>> > Sugars 2g
>> > Protein 3g

>> > Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
>> > Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%

>> > None of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mixes have transfats, either. See
>> > info at link below.
>> >http://www.campbellwellness.com/prod...atID=743&brand...

>Notice that they didn't put INGREDIENTS on their website.
>They don't want you to see, "Partially hydrogenated..."

There is no saturated fat or transfat in their products. FDA labeling
requires satfats and transfats to be listed.

Read up on the requirements he
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qatrans2.html

The only ingredients list for the product I can find is not from
Campbell's itself and is so old, it uses the nutritional information
format from before the time the transfat listing was FDA required.

>> > Now, what was that about someone being stupid?

>> > Boron

>> um, uh. transfats are bad!

>And there in no excuse for putting it in your products.

And I am still waiting for proof that it is currently in Pepperidge
Farm Stuffing mixes.

Where is your evidence?

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:26:13 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® >
wrote:

>On Nov 13, 4:11 pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:37:39 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® >
>> wrote:

>> >--Bryan

>> It is certainly not something that I use, but its only serious
>> nutritional flaw seems to be a heavy hand with the sodium. No
>> transfats at all in the product itself, as you can see below
>>
>> Amount Per Serving
>> Calories 110 Calories from Fat 20
>> % Daily Value*
>> Total Fat 2.5g 4%
>> Saturated Fat 0g 0%
>> Trans Fat 0g
>> Cholesterol 0mg 0%
>> Sodium 460mg 19%
>> Potassium 1mg 0%
>>
>> Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
>> Dietary Fiber <1g 3%
>> Sugars 2g
>> Protein 3g
>>
>> Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
>> Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%
>>
>> None of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mixes have transfats, either. See
>> info at link below.http://www.campbellwellness.com/prod...atID=743&brand...
>>
>> Now, what was that about someone being stupid?

>Just because the fascist US govt. allows them to put 0g trans fat on
>the label, doesn't mean that it has none, just <0.5g per serving.
>Read the actual INGREDIENTS:

Fascist? What are you , some sort of nut in every way shape and form?

Did you look at the link I enclosed - which goes to Pepperidge Farm
Stuffing MIXES, not Stove Top?

>I didn't spend too much time on looking for the Pep Farms, but look at
>their standards by what's in this other product:
>http://www.campbellwellness.com/prod...93 &catID=378

Yeah, well, since my post referred very specifically to the Pepperidge
Farms stuffing products and NOT Stove Top, maybe you should have.

>In fact, the only stuffing mix I've ever seen that didn't have crap in
>it came from Whole Foods. I think the brand was Chatham House.

>--Bryan

You remind me of Stove Top Stuffing...you are full of crap.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message

> .

..

>>Notice that they didn't put INGREDIENTS on their website.
>>They don't want you to see, "Partially hydrogenated..."

> There is no saturated fat or transfat in their products. FDA labeling
> requires satfats and transfats to be listed.
>
> Read up on the requirements he
> http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qatrans2.html
>
> The only ingredients list for the product I can find is not from
> Campbell's itself and is so old, it uses the nutritional information
> format from before the time the transfat listing was FDA required.

>>> um, uh. transfats are bad!

>>And there in no excuse for putting it in your products.

> And I am still waiting for proof that it is currently in Pepperidge
> Farm Stuffing mixes.
>
> Where is your evidence?
>
> Boron

It's up his ass, along with all of his other evidence

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 17:12:01 -0500, "Strange Brew"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:32:03 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® >
>> wrote:

>> And I am still waiting for proof that it is currently in Pepperidge
>> Farm Stuffing mixes.
>>
>> Where is your evidence?
>>
>> Boron

>It's up his ass, along with all of his other evidence

Bwa-ha-ha-ha.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 4:25 pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 17:12:01 -0500, "Strange Brew"
>

> > wrote:
>
> >"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:32:03 -0800, Bobo Bonobo(R) >
> >> wrote:

> >> And I am still waiting for proof that it is currently in Pepperidge
> >> Farm Stuffing mixes.

> >> Where is your evidence?

My original comment was regarding Stove Top, but I can tell you FOR
SURE that 12 months ago, PF stuffing mix had hydrogenated fats. I saw
a box of Stove Top at Walgreens the other day, and it still has it.

_______________________
# Is it really trans-free? "Trans-free" or "0 grams trans fat" means
less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving. But if a serving of,
say, three cookies has 0.49 grams trans fat and you eat, say, six
cookies, you're getting close to one gram of trans. That's not
trivial.

An advisory panel to the FDA recommended earlier this year that the
agency set a limit of 2 grams of trans fat a day (for people who eat a
typical 2,000-calorie diet.) So watch out for foods--even "trans-free"
foods--that have partially hydrogenated oil in the ingredients list,
especially if you think you'll eat more than the serving size.
source-- http://www.hhs.oregonstate.edu/outrc...ndsJuly05.html
________________________

> >> Boron

> >It's up his ass, along with all of his other evidence

I'll look at the PF a little later when I go to the grocery store. I
hope they HAVE removed it. That's a lot more important to me than
what a clown like you thinks about me.

> Bwa-ha-ha-ha.
>
> Boron

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:43:34 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo(R)"
> wrote:

>On Nov 17, 4:25 pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 17:12:01 -0500, "Strange Brew"
>>

>> > wrote:
>>
>> >"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>My original comment was regarding Stove Top, but I can tell you FOR
>SURE that 12 months ago, PF stuffing mix had hydrogenated fats. I saw
>a box of Stove Top at Walgreens the other day, and it still has it.

I am not interested in Stove Top in this discussion. I told you that
before.

Butter and cheese and beef, and a lot of other foods, have naturally
occurring tans fats, but trans fats, nevertheless. The jury is still
out determining if naturally occurring and created are equally bad,
one good and other bad, or exactly what the differences are.

Boron

>> >It's up his ass, along with all of his other evidence

>I'll look at the PF a little later when I go to the grocery store. I
>hope they HAVE removed it. That's a lot more important to me than
>what a clown like you thinks about me.

Honey, I don't think anything of you at all.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 4:12 pm, "Strange Brew" > wrote:
> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message

> > .

> .

> >>Notice that they didn't put INGREDIENTS on their website.
> >>They don't want you to see, "Partially hydrogenated..."

> > There is no saturated fat or transfat in their products. FDA labeling
> > requires satfats and transfats to be listed.

> > Read up on the requirements he
> >http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qatrans2.html

> > The only ingredients list for the product I can find is not from
> > Campbell's itself and is so old, it uses the nutritional information
> > format from before the time the transfat listing was FDA required.

> >>And there in no excuse for putting it in your products.

> > And I am still waiting for proof that it is currently in Pepperidge
> > Farm Stuffing mixes.

> > Where is your evidence?

> > Boron

> It's up his ass, along with all of his other evidence

Sadly, both bald.n.ugly and Moron Elgar will have to face the fact
that the Pepperidge farm stuffing mix DOES have partially hydrogenated
oil listed in its ingredients. So does Brownberry sage & onion. I
just got back from the supermarket. Notice how they keep their
ingredients OFF the web, while publishing their zero grams per
serving?

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article > ,
> Sarah Gray > wrote:
>
>> Bobo Bonobo(R) wrote:

>>> No, and you'd better not. That's MY schtick around here

>> Can I at least have preservatives? High fructose corn syrup? ya gotta
>> give me *something* to bitch about

> You could always bitch about the high prices you are paying for stale
> bread with stale spices.

Who said I bought that crap?

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Sarah Gray > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
> > In article > ,
> > Sarah Gray > wrote:

> >> Can I at least have preservatives? High fructose corn syrup? ya gotta
> >> give me *something* to bitch about

> > You could always bitch about the high prices you are paying for stale
> > bread with stale spices.

> Who said I bought that crap?

Sorry. Change the "are" to "aren't".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 5:29 pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2:51 pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
> > leftoversslicebeautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
> > won't notice they aren't there. ;-)

> > N.

> Leftoverdressing! What's that?? :-)
>
> Rarely was any left but it wasn't cooked to a state that it wouldslice. That would be my sister-in-law'sdressing. And it requires
> copious amounts of gravy. :-(

After catching part of a Deen program, I can understand why some
people think eggs are necessary to hold it together.

Her dressing, which she declared looked scrumptious, looked like
runny, chunky you-know-what, when she poured (poured!) it into a
casserole dish. Ick. I've never mixed up dressing that looked like
that.

Mine, with proper amounts of butter and broth, is scooped or spooned
into a casserole dish, dotted with more butter on top, and when it's
baked for a half hour, you can spoon it out, and it's nice and moist.
Chilled, it slices.

I've never seen a soupy dressing like Paula Deen made. Maybe it's a
Southern thang....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote

> After catching part of a Deen program, I can understand why some
> people think eggs are necessary to hold it together.
>
> Her dressing, which she declared looked scrumptious, looked like
> runny, chunky you-know-what, when she poured (poured!) it into a
> casserole dish. Ick. I've never mixed up dressing that looked like
> that.

Isn't that nauseating looking? I never saw dressing like that,
either, and I sure don't want to again.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:23:24 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Nancy2" > wrote
>
>> After catching part of a Deen program, I can understand why some
>> people think eggs are necessary to hold it together.
>>
>> Her dressing, which she declared looked scrumptious, looked like
>> runny, chunky you-know-what, when she poured (poured!) it into a
>> casserole dish. Ick. I've never mixed up dressing that looked like
>> that.

>Isn't that nauseating looking? I never saw dressing like that,
>either, and I sure don't want to again.
>
>nancy

I can't listen to that hillbilly for more than the time it takes to
change the channel so I didn't see it. But years ago I was invited
for dinner and one of the offerings was something similar. I took a
small spoonful to see if it tasted as bad as it looked. Tasted worse.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote
> After catching part of a Deen program, I can understand why some
> people think eggs are necessary to hold it together.

I used Pepperidge Farm Cornbread for my dressing and it was great.

2.5 cups chicken broth, 2 tablespoons butter, and a cup of sauteed
chopped onions and some cooked celery, barely tossed, baked in
a buttered casserole for 20 minutes at 350F. It came out moist but
lightly crispy on the bottom and top. Good stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 26 Nov 2007 09:17:06a, Nancy2 meant to say...

> On Nov 12, 5:29 pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>> On Nov 12, 2:51 pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
>>
>> > It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
>> > leftoversslicebeautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
>> > won't notice they aren't there. ;-)

>> > N.

>> Leftoverdressing! What's that?? :-)
>>
>> Rarely was any left but it wasn't cooked to a state that it wouldslice.
>> That would be my sister-in-law'sdressing. And it requires copious
>> amounts of gravy. :-(

> After catching part of a Deen program, I can understand why some
> people think eggs are necessary to hold it together.
>
> Her dressing, which she declared looked scrumptious, looked like
> runny, chunky you-know-what, when she poured (poured!) it into a
> casserole dish. Ick. I've never mixed up dressing that looked like
> that.
>
> Mine, with proper amounts of butter and broth, is scooped or spooned
> into a casserole dish, dotted with more butter on top, and when it's
> baked for a half hour, you can spoon it out, and it's nice and moist.
> Chilled, it slices.
>
> I've never seen a soupy dressing like Paula Deen made. Maybe it's a
> Southern thang....
>
> N.

No, it's not a Southern thang! Like yours, my cornbread dressing is
scoopable when it's put in the casserole and scoopable after it's baked.
It's also sliceable when cold. I think that's typical of Southern
cornbread dressing.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, November(XI) 26th(XXVI),2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
4wks 4hrs 57mins 5secs
On the other hand, you have different
fingers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> On Nov 12, 5:29 pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>> On Nov 12, 2:51 pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
>>
>> > It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
>> > leftoversslicebeautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
>> > won't notice they aren't there. ;-)

>> > N.

>> Leftoverdressing! What's that?? :-)
>>
>> Rarely was any left but it wasn't cooked to a state that it wouldslice.
>> That would be my sister-in-law'sdressing. And it requires
>> copious amounts of gravy. :-(

> After catching part of a Deen program, I can understand why some
> people think eggs are necessary to hold it together.
>
> Her dressing, which she declared looked scrumptious, looked like
> runny, chunky you-know-what, when she poured (poured!) it into a
> casserole dish. Ick. I've never mixed up dressing that looked like
> that.
>
> Mine, with proper amounts of butter and broth, is scooped or spooned
> into a casserole dish, dotted with more butter on top, and when it's
> baked for a half hour, you can spoon it out, and it's nice and moist.
> Chilled, it slices.
>
> I've never seen a soupy dressing like Paula Deen made. Maybe it's a
> Southern thang....
>
> N.

Sounds remarkably like my Great Grandmother's dressing. My mom said GG
handed her the bowl of dressing one time and told her to beat it. It was a
lot like peanut butter. Great Gram was born in western Kentucky.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

> Sounds remarkably like my Great Grandmother's dressing. My mom said GG
> handed her the bowl of dressing one time and told her to beat it.

....and she took the bowl and they didn't see her again for two days.

(Requires knowledge of USan idiom "beat it" for "get outta here".)

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 10:23 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote
>
> > After catching part of a Deen program, I can understand why some
> > people think eggs are necessary to hold it together.

> > Her dressing, which she declared looked scrumptious, looked like
> > runny, chunky you-know-what, when she poured (poured!) it into a
> > casserole dish. Ick. I've never mixed up dressing that looked like
> > that.

> Isn't that nauseating looking? I never saw dressing like that,
> either, and I sure don't want to again.
>
> nancy

I didn't watch her Thanksgiving show so I can't comment on what she
did. My mom's dressing was always rather 'loose' but that was because
the onion and celery were not sauted before adding to the mixture.
There was plenty of liquid which facilitated in cooking that onion and
celery but her dressing was always firm. I'm pretty sure if she had
sauteed the onion and celery she wouldn't have used/needed as much
liquid. But it was ALWAYS verrrrry flavorful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

> Sounds remarkably like my Great Grandmother's dressing. My mom said GG
> handed her the bowl of dressing one time and told her to beat it. It
> was a lot like peanut butter. Great Gram was born in western Kentucky.
>
> Ms P

I have a friend in KY who tells me of a specialty they do there with
ham. They somehow cook it in a can or something? Boiled. Sounds really
odd to me since boiled ham has never been something I've considered a
treat?
Have you ever heard of such a thing?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 10:22 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:

> I have a friend in KY who tells me of a specialty they do there with
> ham. They somehow cook it in a can or something? Boiled. Sounds really
> odd to me since boiled ham has never been something I've considered a
> treat?
> Have you ever heard of such a thing?

It's probably a ham cooked in a lard stand. I've never cooked one,
but I've heard they're quite good, very tender.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 3:32 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Nov 13, 8:31 am, Cindy Hamilton >
> > wrote:

> >> Leftovers packed into a plastic container, sliced cold the next day,
> >> and panfried
> >> in butter until slightly crispy. Yum.

> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > Oh, I never thought of that - I'll have to try it. ;-)

> > N.

> The most unusual use for leftover stuffing/dressing I ever witnessed-
> the weekend after TG a church I belonged to was in charge of the cooking
> down at the soup kitchen. The woman in charge made a huge vat of soup
> from scratch but also added leftover stuffing, gravy and vegetables to
> the soup and it worked. Perhaps that it was such a huge batch and the
> leftovers didn't amount to such a high proportion helped?- Hide quoted text -

I think I once saw a German recipe for "Bread Soup." Maybe that's
what she was going for.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ms P wrote:
>
>> Sounds remarkably like my Great Grandmother's dressing. My mom said GG
>> handed her the bowl of dressing one time and told her to beat it. It was
>> a lot like peanut butter. Great Gram was born in western Kentucky.
>>
>> Ms P

> I have a friend in KY who tells me of a specialty they do there with ham.
> They somehow cook it in a can or something? Boiled. Sounds really odd to
> me since boiled ham has never been something I've considered a treat?
> Have you ever heard of such a thing?

Interesting. I hadn't ever heard of it. I don't think my G Gram ever
served a canned ham. She was more likely to do a country ham. I don't
specifically remember ham at her house though.

The one thing I'll never forget is her pumpkin pie. <shudder> I'm not
saying she was a bad cook because she truly was a good cook but her pumpkin
pie was awful. She didn't like the spices so she left them out and used
baking soda to get it to turn the right color. You couldn't beat her lemon
meringue though.

Ms P