Posted to alt.agriculture.beef,alt.cooking-chien,talk.politics.animals,alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

Default Cargill recalls 1 million pounds ground beef in U.S. due to e-coli - China beware!

http://www.reuters.com/article/busin...18729020071104

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Agricultural giant Cargill Inc said on Saturday it
was recalling more than 1 million pounds of ground beef distributed in
the United States because of possible E. coli contamination.

Cargill Meat Solutions said the 1.084 million pounds (491,700 kg) of
ground beef was produced at the Wyalusing, Pennsylvania, facility
between October 8 and October 11, and distributed to retailers across
the country.

The retail chains that sold the beef include Giant, Shop Rite, Stop &
Shop, Wegmans and Weis.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture returned a confirmed positive for
the E. coli bacteria on a sample produced on October 8, the privately
owned company said.

The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service said the problem was
discovered through follow-up investigation and sampling after a
positive E. coli test at another federal establishment.

Symptoms of E. coli 0157:H7 illness, the strain associated with the
recall, include potentially severe stomach cramps, diarrhea and
dehydration. Children, the elderly and people with poor immune systems
are the must vulnerable.

"No illnesses have been associated with this product," John Keating,
president of Cargill Regional Beef, said in a statement. "We are
working closely with the USDA to remove the product from the
marketplace."

Rep. Bart Stupak, chairman of the House Energy and Commerce
Committee's subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, said Cargill
CEO Greg Page had been asked to testify on November 13 at a committee
hearing on food safety.

"This latest recall of more than a million pounds of beef is of great
concern," Stupak, a Michigan Democrat, said in a statement.
_____________________________

So, in light of all the ongoing China bashing in the mainstream US
media, what do you think is worse? Buying (allegedly) lead-paint
contained toys from China (even though Mattel has already admitted
it's mainly their own fault), or eating a dangerous level on a daily
basis and on a mass-scale of US-made, slaughtered beef by Cargill, a
US-based company?

David Huang

Posted to alt.agriculture.beef,alt.cooking-chien,talk.politics.animals,alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://www.reuters.com/article/busin...18729020071104
> So, in light of all the ongoing China bashing in the mainstream US
> media, what do you think is worse? Buying (allegedly) lead-paint
> contained toys from China (even though Mattel has already admitted
> it's mainly their own fault), or eating a dangerous level on a daily
> basis and on a mass-scale of US-made, slaughtered beef by Cargill, a
> US-based company?
>
> David Huang

The difference is pretty simple really. American companies recall their
defective products. Chinese companies never recall their defective
products.

China didn't recall the sunflower seeds with glass in them, Norway did.
China didn't recall the toys with lead paint, an American company did.

Ms P

Posted to alt.agriculture.beef,alt.cooking-chien,talk.politics.animals,alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/busin...18729020071104

The problem of tainted meat is caused by our feed-plot practice, which
necessitated large amount of antibiotics, which in turn engenders a
virulent strain of e. coli. It couldn't happen in Denmark, where
antibiotics in cattle feed is not allowed. Note, however, that there was
a recall. In china, there would have been none because nobody tests.

> So, in light of all the ongoing China bashing in the mainstream US
> media, what do you think is worse? Buying (allegedly) lead-paint
> contained toys from China (even though Mattel has already admitted
> it's mainly their own fault), or eating a dangerous level on a daily
> basis and on a mass-scale of US-made, slaughtered beef by Cargill, a
> US-based company?

Mattel took responsibility for failing to do what the Chinese government
should have done. The "admission" was coerced as a condition of
continuing to do business in China. Even though the U.S. product
inspection program has been drastically been curtailed over the last
seven years, it is still far more active than China's. After some recent
unfortunate experiences, I no longer buy shrimp or tilapia that comes
from China. At least American dumplings aren't made from cardboard.

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I no longer buy shrimp or tilapia that comes from China.

I add crawfish to this list.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

raymond > wrote:

>> I no longer buy shrimp or tilapia that comes from China.

>I add crawfish to this list.

Crawfish sold in the U.S. is nearly all farmed domestically
and is on the Seafood Watch's "good" list, unlike the products
mentioned above.

I haven't seen Chinese crawfish sold around here; perhaps because
I live close enough to the crawfish farms in the Sacramento Delta.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 12:40?pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> raymond > wrote:
> >> I no longer buy shrimp or tilapia that comes from China.

> >I add crawfish to this list.

> Crawfish sold in the U.S. is nearly all farmed domestically
> and is on the Seafood Watch's "good" list, unlike the products
> mentioned above.
>
> I haven't seen Chinese crawfish sold around here; perhaps because
> I live close enough to the crawfish farms in the Sacramento Delta.
>
> Steve

I stopped eating Chinese food and returned to calling it Chinks.

Sheldon Bunker

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope said...

> raymond > wrote:
>
>>> I no longer buy shrimp or tilapia that comes from China.

>>I add crawfish to this list.

> Crawfish sold in the U.S. is nearly all farmed domestically
> and is on the Seafood Watch's "good" list, unlike the products
> mentioned above.
>
> I haven't seen Chinese crawfish sold around here; perhaps because
> I live close enough to the crawfish farms in the Sacramento Delta.
>
> Steve

How do farmed fish test for PCBs? Seems these days it's either it's wild with
mercury or farmed with PCBs.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>Steve Pope said...

>> Crawfish sold in the U.S. is nearly all farmed domestically
>> and is on the Seafood Watch's "good" list, unlike the products
>> mentioned above.

>> I haven't seen Chinese crawfish sold around here; perhaps because
>> I live close enough to the crawfish farms in the Sacramento Delta.

> How do farmed fish test for PCBs? Seems these days it's either
> it's wild with mercury or farmed with PCBs.

There was a significant PCB problem with farmed Scottish salmon,
one of the reasons it is last place on the Seafood Watch list.
I assume there are other such problems, but I have not heard
of one with domestic crawfish. Seafood Watch uses EPA contamination
data in forming its list.

One version of the list is he

http://www.eartheasy.com/eat_sustainable_seafoods.htm

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Steve Pope said...

>>>I add crawfish to this list.

>> Crawfish sold in the U.S. is nearly all farmed domestically
>> and is on the Seafood Watch's "good" list, unlike the products
>> mentioned above.
>>
>> I haven't seen Chinese crawfish sold around here; perhaps because
>> I live close enough to the crawfish farms in the Sacramento Delta.
>>
>> Steve

> How do farmed fish test for PCBs? Seems these days it's either it's wild
> with
> mercury or farmed with PCBs.
>
> Andy

On one of the cans of wild salmon, (or maybe it's on the site), they show
the route that the wild salmon take -- it's one helluva route -- now would
they accumulate this mercury close to shore or way out in the ocean where
they spend the most time.

I'll stick with the wild myself, although I know they say that the "con is
on" to retailers and others.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Steve Pope said...

>>> Crawfish sold in the U.S. is nearly all farmed domestically
>>> and is on the Seafood Watch's "good" list, unlike the products
>>> mentioned above.
>>>
>>> I haven't seen Chinese crawfish sold around here; perhaps because
>>> I live close enough to the crawfish farms in the Sacramento Delta.
>>>
>>> Steve

>> How do farmed fish test for PCBs? Seems these days it's either it's wild
>> with
>> mercury or farmed with PCBs.
>>
>> Andy

> On one of the cans of wild salmon, (or maybe it's on the site), they show
> the route that the wild salmon take -- it's one helluva route -- now would
> they accumulate this mercury close to shore or way out in the ocean where
> they spend the most time.
>
> I'll stick with the wild myself, although I know they say that the "con is
> on" to retailers and others.
>
> Dee Dee

I haven't had fish since gout except recently I took a chance and made a tuna
salad sandwich and I paid dearly for that.

Can't picture tuna farming. Big fish in a small pond comes to mind.

I saw on one list Steve sent me to that said avoid Alaskan king crab. I guess
that goes for all the bottom feeders, wild or farmed.

Makes you wonder how much tastier fish must've been back 200 years ago.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Dee.Dee said...
>

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> Steve Pope said...

>>> How do farmed fish test for PCBs? Seems these days it's either it's wild
>>> with
>>> mercury or farmed with PCBs.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> On one of the cans of wild salmon, (or maybe it's on the site), they show
>> the route that the wild salmon take -- it's one helluva route -- now
>> would
>> they accumulate this mercury close to shore or way out in the ocean where
>> they spend the most time.
>>
>> I'll stick with the wild myself, although I know they say that the "con
>> is
>> on" to retailers and others.
>>
>> Dee Dee

> I haven't had fish since gout except recently I took a chance and made a
> tuna
> salad sandwich and I paid dearly for that.
>
> Can't picture tuna farming. Big fish in a small pond comes to mind.
>
> I saw on one list Steve sent me to that said avoid Alaskan king crab. I
> guess
> that goes for all the bottom feeders, wild or farmed.
>
> Makes you wonder how much tastier fish must've been back 200 years ago.
>
> Andy

DH's mother's family were fishermen for a couple of hundred years in New
England and fished the water down thru to the Chesapeake Bay (I have a list
of the scooners they owned over the years). I've heard a lot of sea
stories. One even opened up a little sea-food restaurant in the very early
1900's, down the street from the local bawdy house. Funny!

Dear mother-in-law (b. 1908) said that when she was growing up that lobster
was an everyday thing at their house. She grew up with tasty fish. Her
later years were spent at Captain Jack's (or something or other fried fast
food fish). The first time I met them I didn't care a lot for seafood, but
that's all that was on the table -- and plenty of it - and a little bread.
They assumed that everyone liked it.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee > wrote:

>On one of the cans of wild salmon, (or maybe it's on the site), they show
>the route that the wild salmon take -- it's one helluva route -- now would
>they accumulate this mercury close to shore or way out in the ocean where
>they spend the most time.

Because salmon at not as far up the food chain as tuna, they do
not have nearly as much mercury.

(They do, however, have more parasites, so take your pick.)

STeve
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking
Val Val is offline

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
>> After some recent

> unfortunate experiences, I no longer buy shrimp or tilapia that comes from
> China. >

Me either, I love that fish and ate tilapia 2-4 times a week, the manager at
my fish market gave me 40% off the price if I bought it in the 20# boxes of
frozen fillets. This market no longer sells any products from China. I tried
the new brand of tilapia they now carry that's farm raised in the U.S. Texas
or Arkansas I think. It tasted "muddy" to me and was $2 more a pound.
bummer. Wonder how much industrial toxins I consumed eating all that China
import tilapia?

>At least American dumplings aren't made from cardboard.

You've obviously never had to gag down Aunty Mildred's dumplings. *sigh*

At least I don't have to worry about the beef recalls, I haven't bought beef
(other than an occasional steak in a good restaurant) for 40 years. There
are certain advantages to hunting red meat for the freezer. I'm not sure but
I don't think even wild game is all that "pure" anymore. These animals are
hunted in very remote areas of Montana but still with rain even being
somewhat polluted and as things run through the food chain, feeding and
grazing where and on what, it makes you wonder. At least I know these
animals haven't been force fed steroids and antibiotics and I know exactly
who is handling the meat and where and how it's being processed.

Val

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

Val wrote:
> "Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
>>> After some recent

>> unfortunate experiences, I no longer buy shrimp or tilapia that comes from
>> China. >

> Me either, I love that fish and ate tilapia 2-4 times a week, the manager at
> my fish market gave me 40% off the price if I bought it in the 20# boxes of
> frozen fillets. This market no longer sells any products from China. I tried
> the new brand of tilapia they now carry that's farm raised in the U.S. Texas
> or Arkansas I think. It tasted "muddy" to me and was $2 more a pound.
> bummer. Wonder how much industrial toxins I consumed eating all that China
> import tilapia?
>
>> At least American dumplings aren't made from cardboard.

> You've obviously never had to gag down Aunty Mildred's dumplings. *sigh*
>
> At least I don't have to worry about the beef recalls, I haven't bought beef
> (other than an occasional steak in a good restaurant) for 40 years. There
> are certain advantages to hunting red meat for the freezer. I'm not sure but
> I don't think even wild game is all that "pure" anymore. These animals are
> hunted in very remote areas of Montana but still with rain even being
> somewhat polluted and as things run through the food chain, feeding and
> grazing where and on what, it makes you wonder. At least I know these
> animals haven't been force fed steroids and antibiotics and I know exactly
> who is handling the meat and where and how it's being processed.

The trouble with store-bought hamburger is that meat from a hundred or
so cows is ground up at a time and mixed. If any one of them was
infected with something, the whole batch is contaminated. I cut the odds
by grinding up my own hamburger from a single piece of meat. I could buy
it and have the butcher grind it, but I prefer to trim it myself first.

Jerry
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
> DH's mother's family were fishermen for a couple of hundred years in
> New England and fished the water down thru to the Chesapeake Bay (I
> have a list of the scooners they owned over the years). I've heard a
> lot of sea stories. One even opened up a little sea-food restaurant
> in the very early 1900's, down the street from the local bawdy house.
> Funny!
> Dear mother-in-law (b. 1908) said that when she was growing up that
> lobster was an everyday thing at their house. She grew up with tasty
> fish. Her later years were spent at Captain Jack's (or something or
> other fried fast food fish). The first time I met them I didn't care
> a lot for seafood, but that's all that was on the table -- and plenty
> of it - and a little bread. They assumed that everyone liked it.

What a lovely story, Dee Dee Thank you for sharing

In days of yore, salmon and lobster were poor peoples food Changed days
eh?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>> DH's mother's family were fishermen for a couple of hundred years in
>> New England and fished the water down thru to the Chesapeake Bay (I
>> have a list of the scooners they owned over the years). I've heard a
>> lot of sea stories. One even opened up a little sea-food restaurant
>> in the very early 1900's, down the street from the local bawdy house.
>> Funny!
>> Dear mother-in-law (b. 1908) said that when she was growing up that
>> lobster was an everyday thing at their house. She grew up with tasty
>> fish. Her later years were spent at Captain Jack's (or something or
>> other fried fast food fish). The first time I met them I didn't care
>> a lot for seafood, but that's all that was on the table -- and plenty
>> of it - and a little bread. They assumed that everyone liked it.

> What a lovely story, Dee Dee Thank you for sharing
>
> In days of yore, salmon and lobster were poor peoples food Changed days
> eh?)

Yes, even though I didn't use to like it and appreciate it, I now love it.
I know how dear it really has become, so I eat it with almost a feeling of
'reverence,' for lack of a better word to use.

xxoo
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I live in TX (next to the Louisiana delta) and all the shelled,
> frozen crawfish is from either Spain/Portugal or Asia. And the
> shelled tails that are from LA are $25/lb (3 times the cost of
> the imports).
>
> The live crawfish are always from LA, when in season, but China
> ships in tons of the precooked whole, frozen crawfish that is
> just terrible. The frozen pre-pack tails, though, are usually
> quite good and inexpensive ($8/lb).
>
> -sw

Where I live in Louisiana, live crawfish were $1.25/lb, $1.99 if you
want them cooked.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote
> Where I live in Louisiana, live crawfish were $1.25/lb, $1.99 if you want
> them cooked.

Yum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> "Becca" > wrote
>> Where I live in Louisiana, live crawfish were $1.25/lb, $1.99 if you

want
>> them cooked.
>>

> Yum!

I suppose I'd like crawfish but as much trouble as it seems to eat and as
fast as I can eat, I'd be frustrated in short order.

I don't need to be told "you don't know what you're missing." I've seen
picnic tables piled with them and corn and lots of smiles around the table.

A proud tradition, I know.

Someday...

Andy