FoodBanter.com

-   -   Jazzing up baked chicken breasts (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/138913-jazzing-up-baked-chicken.html)

Ken Knecht[_2_] 02-11-2007 02:32 PM

Jazzing up baked chicken breasts

Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.

--
I got used to my arthritis
To my denture I'm resigned

Andy[_2_] 02-11-2007 02:45 PM

Jazzing up baked chicken breasts

Ken Knecht said...

> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
> package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
> What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.

Look at this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Maries-...ke/Detail.aspx

I use chicken tenders and bake at 350° F. turning every 10 minutes, for 40
minutes total. I also use evoo instead of butter to cut back on the sat.
fat.

I just place them on parchment paper directly on a cookie cooling rack in
the oven.

If you use kabob skewers (2 to a skewer) it makes faster work of flipping
the breasts.

You can no doubt find a dipping sauce to your liking, if you're not plating
it with rice, etc.

Andy

Goomba38 02-11-2007 03:06 PM

Ken Knecht wrote:
> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
> package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
> What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.

If I want to bake them, I've been known to dip into an egg wash then
bread them in a mixture of corn flake crumbs mixed with various spices,
perhaps some parmesan, and topped with a pat of butter. Baked about 45
min or so at 350 degrees I've got a nice crusty baked chicken breast.

[email protected] 02-11-2007 04:10 PM

On Nov 2, 9:32 pm, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
> package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
> What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.
>
> --
> I got used to my arthritis
> To my denture I'm resigned
> I can manage my bifocals
> But Lord I miss my mind

There are three methods that I can think of to flavor baked chicken
1. Marinate the chicken before it is cooked
olive oil, lemon zest, black pepper, herb of choice
or maybe you want to do something a little Asian
soy, sesame oil, brown sugar, ginger
just about anything can be put into a marinade just be careful when
marinating with acids as they will cook the meat and if left too long
will break down the connective tissue and turn your meat into mush

2. Place a sauce or crust on the chicken while it is being cooked
Things that work well for this process are tomato base sauces,
breading, and cheese. There are countless things that you could do
just keep in mind that whatever you put on the meat may burn so give
some thought to what it will taste like if it gets slightly burnt /
caramelized. In Asia there are a few recipes where chickens are
wrapped in leaves and then mud before baking, resulting in a leaf
flavored meat that is tender and juicy.

3. Place a sauce or relish on the chicken once is it cooked.
This is likely the most common way to flavor items. You can do
anything from teriyaki, curry (you don't have to put chili into
curry), Moroccan spice in a carrot pure, tomato sauce and cheese,
butter sauce with sage, truffle cream sauce, sweet corn relish,
chocolate mole and the list goes on and on.

Some of the craziest foods that I have tired have been the best so
feel free to try new things. One thing that I do when I am creating
new recipes is that I try my marinades, sauces or other condiments
before I put them on the meat, starch, veg, or fruit. In cases where I
put more than one sauce or use a combination of flavoring techniques I
will taste them together just to make sure that they work.

Good Luck and Good Eats
--
www.p30.com

Steve Pope 02-11-2007 04:12 PM

Jazzing up baked chicken breasts

Another possibility is chicken cacciatore. The simplest method
is to slice up any combination of mushrooms, bell pepper, onion,
tomato and garlic, and bake it along with the chicken. Include
some spices like pepper, salt, and oregano, and a squirt of olive
oil.

The slightly more evolved method is to sautee the chicken for
a few minutes, and sautee the vegetables separately, then
combine them and bake. Perhaps also include a little white wine.

Steve

Dave Smith[_2_] 02-11-2007 04:31 PM

Goomba38 wrote:

> Ken Knecht wrote:
> > Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
> > package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
> > What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.
> >

> If I want to bake them, I've been known to dip into an egg wash then
> bread them in a mixture of corn flake crumbs mixed with various spices,
> perhaps some parmesan, and topped with a pat of butter. Baked about 45
> min or so at 350 degrees I've got a nice crusty baked chicken breast.

I dip them in seasoned flour, then into egg wash and then crumbs. Then put
them in an oiled baking dish and drizzle with oil or melted butter. Bake in
a hot oven (425), twenty minutes, turn and give them another 20 minutes.
You can add just about anything to the crumbs; garlic powder, oregano,
parley, paprika, chili powder, grated orange or leon peel.

jmcquown 02-11-2007 04:51 PM

Goomba38 wrote:
> Ken Knecht wrote:
>> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come
>> from the package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more
>> flavorful? What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food
>> - chile, etc.
>>

> If I want to bake them, I've been known to dip into an egg wash then
> bread them in a mixture of corn flake crumbs mixed with various
> spices, perhaps some parmesan, and topped with a pat of butter. Baked
> about 45 min or so at 350 degrees I've got a nice crusty baked
> chicken breast.

I advocate cornflake crumbs, too! I rarely buy chicken breast halves; they
tend to be rather dull and often dry. But when I do, cornflake crumbs
jazzed up with stuff as you say are the way to go. I generally melt the
butter in the baking dish first, get it nice and hot, then add the chicken.
Comes out nice and crispy :)

P.S. Sorry I went off on you in that other thread, Goomba. Mea Culpa.

Jill

aem 02-11-2007 06:27 PM

On Nov 2, 5:32 am, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
> package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
> What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.

The first thing to do if you want more flavor in chicken breasts is to
stop buying them skinned and off the bone. Cook the whole breast. If
you want not to eat the skin, fine, set it aside, the breast will
still be noticeably more flavorful.

The second thing to do is not to overcook them. If you don't see an
obvious glint of moisture when you slice into them, you've cooked all
the juicy flavor out of them.

Other than that, try out some marinades and sauces, there are hundreds
to choose from. -aem

Jessica V. 02-11-2007 07:36 PM

Ken Knecht wrote:
> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
> package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
> What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.
>

> --
> I got used to my arthritis
> To my denture I'm resigned
> I can manage my bifocals
> But Lord I miss my mind

I like to slit them and stuff them with a little something.
Prosciutto, spread with a good mustard and basil leaves, rolled up an
inserted into the breast is one of my favorites. Dip into an egg
wash and seasoned crumbs.

Jessica

cybercat 02-11-2007 07:40 PM

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
> package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
> What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.

Why not whole breasts that you then remove the skin from? You have
to add some fat anyway, right?

Terry[_3_] 03-11-2007 02:32 AM

On 2 Nov 2007 13:32:43 GMT, Ken Knecht > wrote:

>Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
>package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
>What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.

My kids don't like spicy food but they love my grilled chicken. It's
not really that spicy.

First, don't use skinless. Take off the skin after cooking. Skin
keeps it moist, and the calorie count is virtually the same if you
skin after.

Simmer for about ten minutes the following, except the beer:

5 c water
2 T. fine ground black pepper
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/2 c. cider vinegar
2 T. salt
1/4 c. Worcestershire
1 small onion, minced fine
1 really good squirt of cheap yellow mustard
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
At least 2 T. chili powder. (I use about half a cup)
1 six-pack of your favorite beer

Let it cool, marinate the chicken in the fridge for at least a full 24
hours. (and/or inject with the mixture) Then cook it. I grill it,
dunking each piece back in the mixture every 15 minutes or so and
turning it. But it turned out pretty good the time I had to bake it
(ran out of gas on the grill).

The beer? You drink it while grilling, of course. Grilling is hard
work. Whew.

Best -- Terry

Julie Bove 03-11-2007 05:38 AM

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
> package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
> What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.

Add cheese? Actually here is a recipe I tried the other day. Family loved
it. I used the skinless boneless breasts instead of the pieces it called
for. And it's not spicy!!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spanish...ce/Detail.aspx

Julie Bove 03-11-2007 05:40 AM

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Ken Knecht wrote:
>> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
>> package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
>> What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.
>>

> If I want to bake them, I've been known to dip into an egg wash then bread
> them in a mixture of corn flake crumbs mixed with various spices, perhaps
> some parmesan, and topped with a pat of butter. Baked about 45 min or so
> at 350 degrees I've got a nice crusty baked chicken breast.

I used to make something like this but I used crushed cheese crackers like
Cheezits as the coating. Always got rave reviews.

blake murphy 03-11-2007 05:28 PM

Jazzing up baked chicken breasts

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:55:18 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>Ken Knecht > dropped this
: in rec.food.cooking

>> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from
>> the package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more
>> flavorful? What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food -
>> chile, etc.

>I doesn't have to be spicy. When I'm not sure what I want to do with a cut
>of beef, chicken or pork I cube it and throw it in the wok. There are a
>Godzillion wok recipes out there. Just go to Google and type in 'wok
>chicken' and you'll get a bazillion hits.
>
>Me, I don't really use a recipe for wok cooking unless I want something
>specific and then I'll use a recipe. I usually just use a decent oil such
>as peanut oil and a good sauce for flavoring, like fish sauce or a soy
>based sauce. I like the wok because it's one area of cooking I can really
>use my imagination and not really screw it up... not really.
>
>Michael

i hope you're at least using some fresh ginger root when you do this.
it's dirt cheap and readily available.

your pal,
blake

Kathleen[_4_] 03-11-2007 08:25 PM

aem wrote:

> On Nov 2, 5:32 am, Ken Knecht > wrote:
>
>>Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
>>package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
>>What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.
>>

> The first thing to do if you want more flavor in chicken breasts is to
> stop buying them skinned and off the bone. Cook the whole breast. If
> you want not to eat the skin, fine, set it aside, the breast will
> still be noticeably more flavorful.
>
> The second thing to do is not to overcook them. If you don't see an
> obvious glint of moisture when you slice into them, you've cooked all
> the juicy flavor out of them.
>
> Other than that, try out some marinades and sauces, there are hundreds
> to choose from. -aem

I think the best of both worlds are boneless chicken breasts with the
skin left on. I make up a seasoned butter with garlic, pepper, tyme or
whatever happens to sound good at the moment. Slide a teaspoon or so of
the butter under the skin of the breasts. Then sprinkle on salt, pepper
and a little paprika.

I cook these on the grill with indirect heat and some mesquite chunks
for smoke. I always make roughly twice what my family will consume in a
single meal. I pull the skins off of the leftovers and fry them slowly
over low heat to make a crunchy snack. Not exactly health food but
probably harmless as an occasional treat. My 13 year-old son and his
friends love these and were wondering where all the leftover chicken
skins go and wouldn't it be great to be able to buy a whole bag of skin
so you could eat cracklings until you explode. I told them I think they
use them along with god knows what else to make Chicken McNuggets.

The meat is shredded for use in tacos, enchiladas, salads, etc. and is
much tastier and juicier than plain baked or poached skinless boneless
breasts.

Stan Horwitz[_2_] 03-11-2007 10:34 PM

Jazzing up baked chicken breasts

In article >,
Ken Knecht > wrote:

> Whan I bake skinless chicken breasts, it is usually as they come from the
> package. Not bad, but how can I easily make them a bit more flavorful?
> What's your favorite method? I am not fond of spicy food - chile, etc.

For something incredibly easy, just slather some of your favorite
barbecue sauce on the chicken before you bake it.

You could also saute up some sliced onions and peppers until they're
slightly soft, layer them on top of the chicken and pour on a can of
stewed tomatoes for an Italian style meal that would go great with white
rice or pasta.

blake murphy 04-11-2007 06:27 PM

Jazzing up baked chicken breasts

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 17:48:13 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>blake murphy > dropped this
: in rec.food.cooking

>> i hope you're at least using some fresh ginger root when you do this.
>> it's dirt cheap and readily available.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>I almost always have a chunk on hand. I've always got ground ginger. I
>also keep some rice wine vinegar in the pantry.
>
>Michael

ground ginger is a poor substitute in a stir-fry. probably more
expensive as well.

your pal,
blake