Old 31-10-2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Holidays are here

Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.

http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/
spelling errors abound, but I can figure it out.

Applesauce-Raisin Bread

1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup bread flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg slightly beaten
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325░.

Mix all ingredients and stir each time you add an ingredient. Then
pour into a greased pan (best if it's an 8x4 inch pan).

Cook about 1 hour or until done.

Not sure why you'd use bread flour in a quick bread recipe. I'll use
all purpose

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Old 31-10-2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:13:31 -0700, sf wrote:

Not sure why you'd use bread flour in a quick bread recipe. I'll use
all purpose

I wonder what altitude this was based at?

One thing I have learned just recently, is that for many things baked
at higher altitudes, you need a higher gluten flour, than say White
Lily, or cake flour. Otherwise the structure of the baked product
isn't supported without enough gluten in it...and it falls easily.
This was news to me....and it makes sense to me...
Which is why I am wondering if this comes from a higher altitude
baker...

Otherwise, the recipe looks great..and I might try it myself....

What are you baking for the holidays..if anything?

Christine
Old 31-10-2007, 04:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
:On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:13:31 -0700, sf wrote:

:Not sure why you'd use bread flour in a quick bread recipe. I'll use
:all purpose

:I wonder what altitude this was based at?

:One thing I have learned just recently, is that for many things baked
:at higher altitudes, you need a higher gluten flour, than say White
:Lily, or cake flour. Otherwise the structure of the baked product
:isn't supported without enough gluten in it...and it falls easily.
:This was news to me....and it makes sense to me...
:Which is why I am wondering if this comes from a higher altitude
:baker...

There's also substantial regional variation in flours. Flours sold
in the south tend to be lower in gluten than brands for the upper
midwest.
Old 31-10-2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
In article , sf says...

Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.

Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

I refuse to do a thing for Christmas until at least after Thanksgiving.
(Except I did put up my Limoncello). I even avoid shopping places where
they're hot into the Christmas spirit. I have this perverse pleasure in
enjoying each holiday on its own and not as a "package" deal.
Old 31-10-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
In article , sf says...

Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.

Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

A big hearty agreement, Peter.

--
Dave

Old 31-10-2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
Peter A wrote:

In article , sf says...

Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.

Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

A big hearty agreement, Peter.

And the new year starting in January rather than Late April! what's
with that!
--
JL
Old 31-10-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:32:26 -0400, Peter A
wrote:

In article , sf says...

Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.

Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

are they insisting on having christmas *again* this year?

your pal,
blake
Old 31-10-2007, 05:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:49:30 -0400, Goomba38
wrote:

Peter A wrote:
In article , sf says...

Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.

Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

I refuse to do a thing for Christmas until at least after Thanksgiving.
(Except I did put up my Limoncello). I even avoid shopping places where
they're hot into the Christmas spirit. I have this perverse pleasure in
enjoying each holiday on its own and not as a "package" deal.

i got word about a week ago that lord and taylor's (a fairly
hoity-toity women's wear store in d.c.) was already building a
christmas display. and i'm only just now getting over my post-holiday
depression.

your pal,
blake
Old 31-10-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I was at a large outlet shopping mall over this past weekend, Birch Run
in Michigan. I used the bathroom at the customer care center and was
dismayed to find the area fully decorated for Christmas.

Old 31-10-2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Peter A wrote:
In article , sf says...

Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.

Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months
ahead? Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

I refuse to do a thing for Christmas until at least after
Thanksgiving. (Except I did put up my Limoncello). I even avoid
shopping places where they're hot into the Christmas spirit. I have
this perverse pleasure in enjoying each holiday on its own and not as
a "package" deal.

I started getting catalogs in the mailing featuring Christmas stuff in
August! It's ridiculous. The holidays are *not* here! Thanksgiving isn't
here. As I would say to my cat Persia when she begs for food, "It's not
time yet!" It's definitely not time for the December holidays yet.

Jill

Old 01-11-2007, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:

But in this oh so glorious economy that Bush and Co. crow about, the
paycheck just doesnt' stretch as far.

'cept for the cell phone, acrylic nails, cable tv, McMansions, smokes,
restaurant meals... it always seems to stretch enough for those things.
Go figure?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 7:34 pm, T wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article , sf says...

Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.

Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

I remember it always used to be after Thanksgiving. I think we've over-
commercialized the holidays.

"We all bow down, 'cause we're worshippin' Mammon, alright."
It's America's non-official, de-facto religion.

--Bryan

Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:59:17 GMT, blake murphy
wrote:

i'm only just now getting over my post-holiday depression.

I think you need a fainting couch for xmas.

Happy Holidays to All DaleW Wine 17 25-12-2008 04:59 AM
For the holidays Gwyne­ Bennetdottir Mexican Cooking 0 15-12-2007 06:55 PM
Whew! The holidays are (almost) over. Dick R. Wine 1 29-12-2006 08:32 PM
2 Sides Of The Holidays Rly Ngry Vegan 0 01-12-2006 11:24 AM