Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Holidays are here

Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.

http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/
spelling errors abound, but I can figure it out.

Applesauce-Raisin Bread

1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup bread flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg slightly beaten
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325°.

Mix all ingredients and stir each time you add an ingredient. Then
pour into a greased pan (best if it's an 8x4 inch pan).

Cook about 1 hour or until done.

<Not sure why you'd use bread flour in a quick bread recipe. I'll use
all purpose>

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:13:31 -0700, sf wrote:

><Not sure why you'd use bread flour in a quick bread recipe. I'll use
>all purpose>

I wonder what altitude this was based at?

One thing I have learned just recently, is that for many things baked
at higher altitudes, you need a higher gluten flour, than say White
Lily, or cake flour. Otherwise the structure of the baked product
isn't supported without enough gluten in it...and it falls easily.
This was news to me....and it makes sense to me...
Which is why I am wondering if this comes from a higher altitude
baker...

Otherwise, the recipe looks great..and I might try it myself....

What are you baking for the holidays..if anything?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:
:On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:13:31 -0700, sf wrote:

:><Not sure why you'd use bread flour in a quick bread recipe. I'll use
:>all purpose>

:I wonder what altitude this was based at?

:One thing I have learned just recently, is that for many things baked
:at higher altitudes, you need a higher gluten flour, than say White
:Lily, or cake flour. Otherwise the structure of the baked product
:isn't supported without enough gluten in it...and it falls easily.
:This was news to me....and it makes sense to me...
:Which is why I am wondering if this comes from a higher altitude
:baker...

There's also substantial regional variation in flours. Flours sold
in the south tend to be lower in gluten than brands for the upper
midwest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
> In article >, sf says...
>

>> Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
>> Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.
>>

> Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
> Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

I refuse to do a thing for Christmas until at least after Thanksgiving.
(Except I did put up my Limoncello). I even avoid shopping places where
they're hot into the Christmas spirit. I have this perverse pleasure in
enjoying each holiday on its own and not as a "package" deal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
> In article >, sf says...
>

>> Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
>> Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.
>>

> Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
> Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

A big hearty agreement, Peter.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Peter A wrote:
>
>>In article >, sf says...
>>

>>>Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
>>>Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.
>>>

>>Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
>>Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

> A big hearty agreement, Peter.

And the new year starting in January rather than Late April! what's
with that!
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:32:26 -0400, Peter A >
wrote:

>In article >, sf says...
>

>> Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
>> Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.
>>

>Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
>Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

are they insisting on having christmas *again* this year?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:49:30 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Peter A wrote:
>> In article >, sf says...
>>

>>> Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
>>> Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.
>>>

>> Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
>> Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!
>>

>I refuse to do a thing for Christmas until at least after Thanksgiving.
>(Except I did put up my Limoncello). I even avoid shopping places where
>they're hot into the Christmas spirit. I have this perverse pleasure in
>enjoying each holiday on its own and not as a "package" deal.

i got word about a week ago that lord and taylor's (a fairly
hoity-toity women's wear store in d.c.) was already building a
christmas display. and i'm only just now getting over my post-holiday
depression.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I was at a large outlet shopping mall over this past weekend, Birch Run
in Michigan. I used the bathroom at the customer care center and was
dismayed to find the area fully decorated for Christmas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Peter A wrote:
>> In article >, sf says...
>>

>>> Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
>>> Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.
>>>

>> Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months
>> ahead? Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!
>>

> I refuse to do a thing for Christmas until at least after
> Thanksgiving. (Except I did put up my Limoncello). I even avoid
> shopping places where they're hot into the Christmas spirit. I have
> this perverse pleasure in enjoying each holiday on its own and not as
> a "package" deal.

I started getting catalogs in the mailing featuring Christmas stuff in
August! It's ridiculous. The holidays are *not* here! Thanksgiving isn't
here. As I would say to my cat Persia when she begs for food, "It's not
time yet!" It's definitely not time for the December holidays yet.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> Goomba38 wrote:
> > Peter A wrote:
> >> In article >, sf says...

> >> Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months
> >> ahead? Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!
> >>

> > I refuse to do a thing for Christmas until at least after
> > Thanksgiving. (Except I did put up my Limoncello). I even avoid
> > shopping places where they're hot into the Christmas spirit. I have
> > this perverse pleasure in enjoying each holiday on its own and not as
> > a "package" deal.

> I started getting catalogs in the mailing featuring Christmas stuff in
> August! It's ridiculous. The holidays are *not* here! Thanksgiving isn't
> here. As I would say to my cat Persia when she begs for food, "It's not
> time yet!" It's definitely not time for the December holidays yet.
>
> Jill

I think the problem is that retailers are really feeling the crunch. I
cannot believe the increase in the amount of junk mail I'm getting
lately and it's all sales circlulars etc.

A few mention Christmas, but most are just for the sake of trying to
clear out inventory.

But in this oh so glorious economy that Bush and Co. crow about, the
paycheck just doesnt' stretch as far.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:

> But in this oh so glorious economy that Bush and Co. crow about, the
> paycheck just doesnt' stretch as far.

'cept for the cell phone, acrylic nails, cable tv, McMansions, smokes,
restaurant meals... it always seems to stretch enough for those things.
Go figure?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 7:34 pm, T > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>
> > In article >, sf says...

> > > Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
> > > Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.

> > Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
> > Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

> I remember it always used to be after Thanksgiving. I think we've over-
> commercialized the holidays.

"We all bow down, 'cause we're worshippin' Mammon, alright."
It's America's non-official, de-facto religion.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:59:17 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

> i'm only just now getting over my post-holiday depression.

I think you need a fainting couch for xmas.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 31 Oct 2007 09:36:58p, meant to say...

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:59:17 GMT, blake murphy >
> wrote:
>
>> i'm only just now getting over my post-holiday depression.

> I think you need a fainting couch for xmas.

Funny, we just ordered one for our Victorian themed parlor.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have a rock garden, but three of them died last week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:16:10 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>What are you baking for the holidays..if anything?

No idea. It's not even November yet (my time). I can't begin to
think about xmas until after Thanksgiving, although I made fruitcakes
in August when I was 20 years younger. I also found out that my
holiday cheer was depleted by October, so I stopped doing it.
Personally, I love my fruitcake - but I love the season of cheer more.

For me, the Holiday season, begins just before Halloween but it isn't
called "Christmas" by me until Thanksgiving is completely OVER. I
usually do my main xmas shopping on the afternoon of xmas eve, so now
you know where I stand on the subject.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:08:57 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Peter A wrote:
>> In article >, sf says...
>>

>>> Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
>>> Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.
>>>

>> Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
>> Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!

>A big hearty agreement, Peter.

I think most people here agree. Merchants disagree because they make
the money they need to stay in business during the "Christmas
season"... which (unfortunately) begins in August.

I don't care if merchants push xmas early (because I rarely shop, so
it doesn't bother me), what I care about is that Halloween and
Thanksgiving (especially) are diminished in favor of Christmas.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:34:58 -0400, T >
wrote:

>I remember it always used to be after Thanksgiving. I think we've over-
>commercialized the holidays.

No kidding!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 31 Oct 2007 10:00:36p, meant to say...

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:34:58 -0400, T >
> wrote:
>
>>I remember it always used to be after Thanksgiving. I think we've over-
>>commercialized the holidays.

> No kidding!

We did that at least 30 years ago.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have a rock garden, but three of them died last week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne replied:

>> I think you need a fainting couch for xmas.

> Funny, we just ordered one for our Victorian themed parlor.

I've got one right at my front door, though we always just call it a chaise.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote

> Wayne replied:
>
>>> I think you need a fainting couch for xmas.

>> Funny, we just ordered one for our Victorian themed parlor.

> I've got one right at my front door, though we always just call it a
> chaise.

Cracks me up, on one of those Sell your house shows, the home
owner husband was told to bring down the chaise from the
upstairs bedroom. He looked well confused until his wife said
The big butt chair. Oh!! (laugh)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:51:14 -0700, sf wrote:

>usually do my main xmas shopping on the afternoon of xmas eve, so now
>you know where I stand on the subject.

If you are doing any for me, my wish list is on
Amazon.... I have a load of cookbooks I want...

Christine, running as fast as she can, to get away....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> In article >, sf says...
>>

>> > Halloween is here, so we're officially in the holiday season. Mrs.
>> > Claus is here to help with some fairly simple recipes.
>> >

>> Why can't people wait to start the Christmas season? Two months ahead?
>> Asinine. Wait until after Thanksgiving at least, please!
>>

>I remember it always used to be after Thanksgiving. I think we've over-
>commercialized the holidays.

maybe when the muslims come over here and slit our throats it will be
different.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:51:14 -0700, sf wrote:

> >usually do my main xmas shopping on the afternoon of xmas eve, so now
> >you know where I stand on the subject.

> If you are doing any for me, my wish list is on
> Amazon.... I have a load of cookbooks I want...
>
> Christine, running as fast as she can, to get away....

LOL! My elder bro sent separate emails to me and the maternal unit
asking what the other would like for Christmas. Poor chap didn't know I
read all my mother's emails cos she just won't learn how to deal!

The request was gift certificates from Barnes & Noble; as you know we
have one in town so it makes selecting books that much easier. Last time
I used Amazon (with a gift certificate) just didn't work very well. B &
N have the same books at generally the same price anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 22:44:16 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:34:58 -0400, T >
>wrote:
>

>>I remember it always used to be after Thanksgiving. I think we've over-
>>commercialized the holidays.

>maybe when the muslims come over here and slit our throats it will be
>different.

Here, you're going to need these... in the following order:
http://tinyurl.com/3a7m9m
http://tinyurl.com/39f4ph
http://tinyurl.com/3yn8pd

Happy Holidays to All DaleW Wine 17 25-12-2008 05:59 AM
For the holidays Gwyneð Bennetdottir Mexican Cooking 0 15-12-2007 07:55 PM
Whew! The holidays are (almost) over. Dick R. Wine 1 29-12-2006 09:32 PM
2 Sides Of The Holidays Rly Ngry Vegan 0 01-12-2006 12:24 PM