Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Knife Sharpener

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) knife sharpener.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:36:27 GMT, "Terry*Insull"
> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) knife sharpener.
>
>TIA

The 120 or 130. Mine is an older version, but it is the 3 stage
model. It makes my knives like razors.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Ch...FQINPAodXRJTQw

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:36:27 GMT, "Terry Insull"
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) knife sharpener.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> The 120 or 130. Mine is an older version, but it is the 3 stage
> model. It makes my knives like razors.

> Lou

I have the 120 also, and love it. Seems to me it was about $120.

Dora
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Insull wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) knife sharpener.
>
> TIA

http://www.accusharp.com/chefs.htm

It costs about $8 and it works well.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:36:27 GMT, "Terry*Insull" > wrote:

>Hi
>
>Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) knife sharpener.
>
>TIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pike-Hard-Arkans...QQcmdZViewItem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Insull" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) knife sharpener.
>
> TIA

Yes http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/ the only person I would allow to
touch my knives other than me. He is located in Pennsylvania and has about a
1 week turn around time.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
> "Terry Insull" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) knife sharpener.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Yes http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/ the only person I would allow
> to touch my knives other than me. He is located in Pennsylvania and has
> about a 1 week turn around time.
>
> Joe Cilinceon

Thanks, Joe.
Do you just send your knives? All I saw was a page that said he was in
Leigh (sp?) Valley.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

> "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
>> "Terry Insull" > wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) knife sharpener.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> Yes http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/ the only person I would allow
>> to touch my knives other than me. He is located in Pennsylvania and has
>> about a 1 week turn around time.
>>
>> Joe Cilinceon

> Thanks, Joe.
> Do you just send your knives? All I saw was a page that said he was in
> Leigh (sp?) Valley.
> Dee Dee

Dee he was out in California with a knife.com group giving sharpening
lessons on Sunday. He should be back in town by tomorrow so I would drop him
and email asking him what he will charge for what ever knives you are
sending. When in town you will hear from him generally back from him within
that day. At that point he will tell you how and where to send your knives
and get your information. He has borrowed 3 of my knives to use making a DVD
on knife sharpening at the moment but I just contact him get the price on
what ever I'm sending and mail it. He acknowledges receiving it and usually
ships it back within a day or two. He has done several knives for me and
hundreds for many in the forum. His work is excellent and with high dollar
Japanese steel like I do own he does it with waterstones to a mirror finish.
As I also said he is now bringing out a DVD on how to sharpen properly
yourself but most won't want to go there.

Joe Cilinceon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

>>> Yes http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/ the only person I would
>>> allow to touch my knives other than me. He is located in Pennsylvania
>>> and has about a 1 week turn around time.
>>>
>>> Joe Cilinceon

>> Thanks, Joe.
>> Do you just send your knives? All I saw was a page that said he was in
>> Leigh (sp?) Valley.
>> Dee Dee
>>>

> Dee he was out in California with a knife.com group giving sharpening
> lessons on Sunday. He should be back in town by tomorrow so I would drop
> him and email asking him what he will charge for what ever knives you are
> sending. When in town you will hear from him generally back from him
> within that day. At that point he will tell you how and where to send your
> knives and get your information. He has borrowed 3 of my knives to use
> making a DVD on knife sharpening at the moment but I just contact him get
> the price on what ever I'm sending and mail it. He acknowledges receiving
> it and usually ships it back within a day or two. He has done several
> knives for me and hundreds for many in the forum. His work is excellent
> and with high dollar Japanese steel like I do own he does it with
> waterstones to a mirror finish. As I also said he is now bringing out a
> DVD on how to sharpen properly yourself but most won't want to go there.
>
> Joe Cilinceon.

Maybe he won't do ordinary knives? You know, the good named brands,
Wusthof, etc.
What I need is to get some good knives back into shape.

Thanks for you answer, Joe.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

> Maybe he won't do ordinary knives? You know, the good named brands,
> Wusthof, etc.
> What I need is to get some good knives back into shape.
>
> Thanks for you answer, Joe.
> Dee Dee

I just saw where he posted in the knifeforum.com group that he got home with
a ton of email that he will answer tomorrow. Oh he will do your knives if
they can be sharpened at all he is the man to do it, Dee. I suggest if you
have any doubts send him one knife then check it out when it returns. Then
make up your own mind as to how good he is and reasonably priced also.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
>>
>> Maybe he won't do ordinary knives? You know, the good named brands,
>> Wusthof, etc.
>> What I need is to get some good knives back into shape.
>>
>> Thanks for you answer, Joe.
>> Dee Dee
>>

> I just saw where he posted in the knifeforum.com group that he got home
> with a ton of email that he will answer tomorrow. Oh he will do your
> knives if they can be sharpened at all he is the man to do it, Dee. I
> suggest if you have any doubts send him one knife then check it out when
> it returns. Then make up your own mind as to how good he is and reasonably
> priced also.
>
> Joe Cilinceon

Thanks again, Joe. This is something I will do in the future. I've saved
the information you sent.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:17:51 -0400, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
>> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Maybe he won't do ordinary knives? You know, the good named brands,
>>> Wusthof, etc.
>>> What I need is to get some good knives back into shape.
>>>
>>> Thanks for you answer, Joe.
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> I just saw where he posted in the knifeforum.com group that he got home
>> with a ton of email that he will answer tomorrow. Oh he will do your
>> knives if they can be sharpened at all he is the man to do it, Dee. I
>> suggest if you have any doubts send him one knife then check it out when
>> it returns. Then make up your own mind as to how good he is and reasonably
>> priced also.
>>
>> Joe Cilinceon

>Thanks again, Joe. This is something I will do in the future. I've saved
>the information you sent.
>Dee Dee

while i won't dispute that the gent in pennsylvania might do a better
job, you might check with your local hardware store. it may not be
in-house, but most have some kind of service.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> while i won't dispute that the gent in pennsylvania might do a better
> job, you might check with your local hardware store. it may not be
> in-house, but most have some kind of service.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Thats a good suggestion about looking for someone local. We had 2 good
local ones. Both were evil small businesses like the one mentioned. One
guy did it to occupy himself when he retired and did excellent work and
could sharpen anything perfectly. He was always busy just through word
of mouth. He passed on last year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:23:14 -0400, "limey" >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:36:27 GMT, "Terry Insull"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) knife sharpener.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> The 120 or 130. Mine is an older version, but it is the 3 stage
>> model. It makes my knives like razors.

>> Lou

>I have the 120 also, and love it. Seems to me it was about $120.
>
>Dora

I got mine at a garage sale for 2 bucks. One of my better kitchen
kinds. The original price tag was still on the box. $80

Lou <---bargain hunter
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message

> while i won't dispute that the gent in pennsylvania might do a better
> job, you might check with your local hardware store. it may not be
> in-house, but most have some kind of service.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yes you very well might have a great sharpening service in your area and if
so by all means use them. Just be careful as many of the services I've seen
have a Chef's Choice or other sharpening devises which will eat a knife up
at worse or won't match the proper bevel angles at best. Many also use high
speed belt sanders or grinders which aren't designed for blade sharpening at
all. If someone has a high quality knife they are better off checking out
the methods used on their knives. Most home cooks with the average number of
knives only need to sharpen a couple of times a year at most.

Joe Cilinceon