Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default jasmine rice

For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, "elaine" > wrote:
> For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
> like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

Care to tell us how you cook basmati? Otherwise, how do we know if
that's the problem?

In the meantime, assuming a pot on the stove, it may just be a matter
of adjusting the amount of water to that particular crop of rice. You
didn't say in what way your results were terrible. Was it too soft/
soggy? Use less water. Was it dry and uncooked? Use more water. As
a rule of thumb with jasmine rice I start with a ratio of 1:1.25 rice
to water and adjust later pots to compensate for results. Wash the
rice, add the water, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and let it boil
slowly uncovered for a few minutes until the rice has numerous steam
holes and the water level is about at the level of the rice. Now
cover, reduce heat to the lowest and cook for about 17 minutes.
Remove entirely from any heat, let sit another 5 to 10 minutes,
covered. Fluff and serve. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

aem wrote:

> On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, "elaine" > wrote:
> > For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
> > like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

> Care to tell us how you cook basmati? Otherwise, how do we know if
> that's the problem?
>
> In the meantime, assuming a pot on the stove, it may just be a matter
> of adjusting the amount of water to that particular crop of rice. You
> didn't say in what way your results were terrible. Was it too soft/
> soggy? Use less water. Was it dry and uncooked? Use more water. As
> a rule of thumb with jasmine rice I start with a ratio of 1:1.25 rice
> to water and adjust later pots to compensate for results. Wash the
> rice, add the water, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and let it boil
> slowly uncovered for a few minutes until the rice has numerous steam
> holes and the water level is about at the level of the rice. Now
> cover, reduce heat to the lowest and cook for about 17 minutes.
> Remove entirely from any heat, let sit another 5 to 10 minutes,
> covered. Fluff and serve. -aem

Same here. What ratio of water to rice has the OP used other than to
say "cook it like I would basmati"? I've noticed that jasmine rice
takes less water than regular rice (just don't think Uncle Ben's!).
Although, the directions I've seen for jasmine rice are more like 1:1.5
of rice to water, and I do agree the 1:1.25 ratio works much better.
YMWV (your milage will vary) most definitely, depending on too many
variables.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> aem wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, "elaine" > wrote:
>> > For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook
>> > it
>> > like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

>> Care to tell us how you cook basmati? Otherwise, how do we know if
>> that's the problem?
>>
>> In the meantime, assuming a pot on the stove, it may just be a matter
>> of adjusting the amount of water to that particular crop of rice. You
>> didn't say in what way your results were terrible. Was it too soft/
>> soggy? Use less water. Was it dry and uncooked? Use more water. As
>> a rule of thumb with jasmine rice I start with a ratio of 1:1.25 rice
>> to water and adjust later pots to compensate for results. Wash the
>> rice, add the water, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and let it boil
>> slowly uncovered for a few minutes until the rice has numerous steam
>> holes and the water level is about at the level of the rice. Now
>> cover, reduce heat to the lowest and cook for about 17 minutes.
>> Remove entirely from any heat, let sit another 5 to 10 minutes,
>> covered. Fluff and serve. -aem

> Same here. What ratio of water to rice has the OP used other than to
> say "cook it like I would basmati"? I've noticed that jasmine rice
> takes less water than regular rice (just don't think Uncle Ben's!).
> Although, the directions I've seen for jasmine rice are more like 1:1.5
> of rice to water, and I do agree the 1:1.25 ratio works much better.
> YMWV (your milage will vary) most definitely, depending on too many
> variables.
>
> Sky

Same here for jasmine. 1:1.25.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 19:21:32 -0400, elaine wrote:
>
>> For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
>> like I would basmati. Is that the problem?

> Nope.
>
> Some jasmine requires less water. My current batch is 1.6 cups
> water to 1 cup rice.

I use 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. Boil the water, add the rice then put the
heat way, way down. Leave for about 25 minutes. Basmati is always
perfectly fluffy but the jasmine turns out soggy. Sounds like I'm using too
much water. Thanks. e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

> For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
> like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

I use it all the time. It's my default rice.
I cook it exactly the same way I used to cook
regular, plain old long grain rice. If I were
still cooking it on the stove I would put 1 cup of
rice in the pot, add 2 cups of water, salt, butter
(optional), then bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer,
put the lid on the pot and cook for 20 minutes, exactly.
Perfect every time.

Nowadays I do it in the microwave and do almost
exactly the same thing - 1 cup rice, 2 cups water
(or often 2 cups rice, 3 1/2 cups water), salt,
butter (optional), but I put it in my 2 qt. round
pyrex casserole, put a double layer of paper towels
over the casserole then put on the lid (paper towels
keep the water from boiling over into the microwave),
and put it into the microwave for 15 minutes (20 minutes
for larger portion) on high. Perfect every time.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> aem wrote:
>
>>On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, "elaine" > wrote:
>>
>>>For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
>>>like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

>>Care to tell us how you cook basmati? Otherwise, how do we know if
>>that's the problem?
>>
>>In the meantime, assuming a pot on the stove, it may just be a matter
>>of adjusting the amount of water to that particular crop of rice. You
>>didn't say in what way your results were terrible. Was it too soft/
>>soggy? Use less water. Was it dry and uncooked? Use more water. As
>>a rule of thumb with jasmine rice I start with a ratio of 1:1.25 rice
>>to water and adjust later pots to compensate for results. Wash the
>>rice, add the water, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and let it boil
>>slowly uncovered for a few minutes until the rice has numerous steam
>>holes and the water level is about at the level of the rice. Now
>>cover, reduce heat to the lowest and cook for about 17 minutes.
>>Remove entirely from any heat, let sit another 5 to 10 minutes,
>>covered. Fluff and serve. -aem

> Same here. What ratio of water to rice has the OP used other than to
> say "cook it like I would basmati"? I've noticed that jasmine rice
> takes less water than regular rice (just don't think Uncle Ben's!).
> Although, the directions I've seen for jasmine rice are more like 1:1.5
> of rice to water, and I do agree the 1:1.25 ratio works much better.
> YMWV (your milage will vary) most definitely, depending on too many
> variables.

I have not found this to be the case with the rice
I make. I use the exact same proportions as regular
long grain rice - 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, 2 cups
rice to 3 1/2 cupts water, etc.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> I have not found this to be the case with the rice
> I make. I use the exact same proportions as regular
> long grain rice - 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, 2 cups
> rice to 3 1/2 cupts water, etc.

Heh. The basmati rice I buy here (RSA) needs to be soaked in cold water
for about 15 minutes, rinsed, then boiled for ten. (The rice:water ratio
is 1 cup rice to 6 cups water for the "boiling" part). Then I drain the
water from the rice using a sieve, rinse it again, and put it back in
the pot with a tight fitting lid and let it "steam" for about another 20
minutes on very low heat. It turns out just fine. Nice and "fluffy"

I cook jasmine rice exactly the same way, (and the instructions on the
package do say to use 1 cup rice to 6 water) and it's OK too.

We do get "par boiled" long grain white rice that can be done by adding
the rice to cold water in the pot, bring to the boil, then simmer until
the water is "absorbed" (about 25 minutes) That rice/water ratio is
lower tho'. 1 cup rice to 2 and half cups water...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> I have not found this to be the case with the rice
> I make. I use the exact same proportions as regular
> long grain rice - 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, 2 cups
> rice to 3 1/2 cupts water, etc.

Heh. The basmati rice I buy here (RSA) needs to be soaked in cold water
for about 15 minutes, rinsed, then boiled for ten. (The rice:water ratio
is 1 cup rice to 6 cups water for the "boiling" part). Then I drain the
water from the rice using a sieve, rinse it again, and put it back in
the pot with a tight fitting lid and let it "steam" for about another 20
minutes on very low heat. It turns out just fine. Nice and "fluffy"

I cook jasmine rice exactly the same way, (and the instructions on the
package do say to use 1 cup rice to 6 water) and it's OK too.

We do get "par boiled" long grain white rice that can be done by adding
the rice to cold water in the pot, bring to the boil, then simmer until
the water is "absorbed" (about 25 minutes) That rice/water ratio is
lower tho'. 1 cup rice to 2 and half cups water...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:
> For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I
> cook it like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

I've never encountered a bag of rice that didn't have cooking instructions.
The bag of jasmine rice I had said 20 minutes, the water to rice ratio was
listed. Generally 10 minutes uncovered then 10 minutes covered. What does
yours say?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Sky wrote:
>
>> aem wrote:

>>>Care to tell us how you cook basmati? Otherwise, how do we know if
>>>that's the problem?
>>>
>>>In the meantime, assuming a pot on the stove, it may just be a matter
>>>of adjusting the amount of water to that particular crop of rice. You
>>>didn't say in what way your results were terrible. Was it too soft/
>>>soggy? Use less water. Was it dry and uncooked? Use more water. As
>>>a rule of thumb with jasmine rice I start with a ratio of 1:1.25 rice
>>>to water and adjust later pots to compensate for results. Wash the
>>>rice, add the water, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and let it boil
>>>slowly uncovered for a few minutes until the rice has numerous steam
>>>holes and the water level is about at the level of the rice. Now
>>>cover, reduce heat to the lowest and cook for about 17 minutes.
>>>Remove entirely from any heat, let sit another 5 to 10 minutes,
>>>covered. Fluff and serve. -aem

>> Same here. What ratio of water to rice has the OP used other than to
>> say "cook it like I would basmati"? I've noticed that jasmine rice
>> takes less water than regular rice (just don't think Uncle Ben's!).
>> Although, the directions I've seen for jasmine rice are more like 1:1.5
>> of rice to water, and I do agree the 1:1.25 ratio works much better.
>> YMWV (your milage will vary) most definitely, depending on too many
>> variables.

> I have not found this to be the case with the rice
> I make. I use the exact same proportions as regular
> long grain rice - 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, 2 cups
> rice to 3 1/2 cupts water, etc.
>
> Kate

This is the reason I usually don't say the ratio I use and have used for 35
years now, because everytime I do say what I use, there are dozens of
others that use 1:2. So, I must be doing something wrong, heh ;-))

I use 1:1.25 for every rice I make. However, when I make basmati, I do soak
it for 30 minutes, and let it drain for 30 minutes before cooking.
(Sometimes I do this with cheaper Tex-mex grains.)

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Kate Connally wrote:
>

>> I have not found this to be the case with the rice
>> I make. I use the exact same proportions as regular
>> long grain rice - 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, 2 cups
>> rice to 3 1/2 cupts water, etc.

> Heh. The basmati rice I buy here (RSA) needs to be soaked in cold water
> for about 15 minutes, rinsed, then boiled for ten. (The rice:water ratio
> is 1 cup rice to 6 cups water for the "boiling" part). Then I drain the
> water from the rice using a sieve, rinse it again, and put it back in the
> pot with a tight fitting lid and let it "steam" for about another 20
> minutes on very low heat. It turns out just fine. Nice and "fluffy"
>
> I cook jasmine rice exactly the same way, (and the instructions on the
> package do say to use 1 cup rice to 6 water) and it's OK too.
>
> We do get "par boiled" long grain white rice that can be done by adding
> the rice to cold water in the pot, bring to the boil, then simmer until
> the water is "absorbed" (about 25 minutes) That rice/water ratio is lower
> tho'. 1 cup rice to 2 and half cups water...
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

What I say is not a criticism of your method. Sarah Molten, who has been on
foodnetwork for many years and I believe she was and maybe still is the
editor of Gourmet or BonApetit magazine, says that she never learned to make
rice so she just puts a pot of water to boil and puts the rice in, then
strains it.

Obviously this method works, and it is one that could be used if one wants.

Just thought you'd like to know that your method is used by one of the top
chefs.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:55:19 -0500:

j> elaine wrote:
??>> For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine
??>> rice. I cook it like I would basmati. Is that the
??>> problem? e.

j> I've never encountered a bag of rice that didn't have
j> cooking instructions. The bag of jasmine rice I had said 20
j> minutes, the water to rice ratio was listed. Generally 10
j> minutes uncovered then 10 minutes covered. What does yours
j> say?

I never look at the instructions on rice packages (apart from
wild rice) but my automatic cooker: 1 rice: 1 1/2 water works
well even for jasmine rice.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> elaine wrote:
>> For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I
>> cook it like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

> I've never encountered a bag of rice that didn't have cooking
> instructions.
> The bag of jasmine rice I had said 20 minutes, the water to rice ratio was
> listed. Generally 10 minutes uncovered then 10 minutes covered. What
> does
> yours say?
>
> Jill

I just checked. The rice came in a burlap bag with no instructions.
Probably imported from Jasmania or India where they know how to cook it
e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>

>> I have not found this to be the case with the rice
>> I make. I use the exact same proportions as regular
>> long grain rice - 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, 2 cups
>> rice to 3 1/2 cupts water, etc.

> Heh. The basmati rice I buy here (RSA) needs to be soaked in cold water
> for about 15 minutes, rinsed, then boiled for ten. (The rice:water ratio
> is 1 cup rice to 6 cups water for the "boiling" part). Then I drain the
> water from the rice using a sieve, rinse it again, and put it back in
> the pot with a tight fitting lid and let it "steam" for about another 20
> minutes on very low heat. It turns out just fine. Nice and "fluffy"
>
> I cook jasmine rice exactly the same way, (and the instructions on the
> package do say to use 1 cup rice to 6 water) and it's OK too.
>
> We do get "par boiled" long grain white rice that can be done by adding
> the rice to cold water in the pot, bring to the boil, then simmer until
> the water is "absorbed" (about 25 minutes) That rice/water ratio is
> lower tho'. 1 cup rice to 2 and half cups water...

My Jasmine rice is not parboiled. I buy it in 10-lb. bags at
the Asian grocery. Neither is the regular rice I used before
I started using Jasmine all the time. (I have seen and used
parboild rice on occasion but 99.oo% of the time used regular
rice.) I have never seen any instructions on any of the packaging
for a 6-1 ratio of water to rice. I have on occasion used basmati
rice and I treat it exactly like plain long-grain or jasmine rice
and it comes out fine.

And I would never use the complicated procedure you use. I guess
if you want to do it, that's fine, but I don't think all that
is necessary at all, for any kind of rice. I would never do that
much work just to make rice. My rice is always perfect, just
al dente, not over- or under-cooked, nice separate grains, etc.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>

>> I have not found this to be the case with the rice
>> I make. I use the exact same proportions as regular
>> long grain rice - 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, 2 cups
>> rice to 3 1/2 cupts water, etc.

> Heh. The basmati rice I buy here (RSA) needs to be soaked in cold water
> for about 15 minutes, rinsed, then boiled for ten. (The rice:water ratio
> is 1 cup rice to 6 cups water for the "boiling" part). Then I drain the
> water from the rice using a sieve, rinse it again, and put it back in
> the pot with a tight fitting lid and let it "steam" for about another 20
> minutes on very low heat. It turns out just fine. Nice and "fluffy"
>
> I cook jasmine rice exactly the same way, (and the instructions on the
> package do say to use 1 cup rice to 6 water) and it's OK too.
>
> We do get "par boiled" long grain white rice that can be done by adding
> the rice to cold water in the pot, bring to the boil, then simmer until
> the water is "absorbed" (about 25 minutes) That rice/water ratio is
> lower tho'. 1 cup rice to 2 and half cups water...

I just noticed you're in South Africa. Maybe the rice you
get down there is a lot different from the rice we get here
in the US, but I find it hard to believe that it would be all
that different. I mean rice is rice. There's not much you can
do to it to change it much. All long grain rices (basmati, jasmine,
other) are pretty much the same and should cook pretty much the same.
Want to send me some South African basmati rice and I'll see what
happens when I cook it here? ;-)
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> I just noticed you're in South Africa. Maybe the rice you
> get down there is a lot different from the rice we get here
> in the US, but I find it hard to believe that it would be all
> that different. I mean rice is rice. There's not much you can
> do to it to change it much. All long grain rices (basmati, jasmine,
> other) are pretty much the same and should cook pretty much the same.
> Want to send me some South African basmati rice and I'll see what
> happens when I cook it here? ;-)
> Kate

Heh. And I suppose you expect me to pay for the postage of 2kgs of rice
too. Hmph! <Cathy winks at Kate>

Anyway, here's what they say on their website...

http://www.tastic.co.za/Recipes/ROW-Recipes-index.htm

Cooking instructions for Tastic Jasmine Rice
Follow the recommended method for perfect fragrant Thai rice every time.

Stove:
For separate rice:
Soak 250 ml (1 cup) Tastic Jasmine Rice in cold water for 15 minutes.
Drain well. Bring 1½ litres (6 cups) of water to boil together with 3-5
ml (½ – 1 teaspoon) salt. Add the rice. Boil uncovered for 12 – 14
minutes. Drain water and steam on low heat for 5 – 10 minutes. Serve.
For clingy rice:
Follow cooking instructions above, but boil for a further 3 – 5 minutes
to required consistency. Clinginess increases with boiling time.

Microwave:
Soak 250 ml (1 cup) Tastic Jasmine Rice in cold water for 15 minutes.
Drain well. Place 1½ litres (6 cups) of water in a large microwave dish.
Bring to boil, add 3 – 5 ml (½ – 1 teaspoon) salt and drained rice. Cook
on high for 14-16 minutes. Transfer cooked rice into a sieve or colander
and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Available in the rice aisle.

A cup of raw Tastic Jasmine Rice provides 4 – 6 aromatic servings of
slightly sticky, fragrant rice.

Cooking instructions for Tastic Basmati Rice
Follow the recommended method for perfect rice every time.

Stove:
Soak 250 ml (1 cup) of Tastic Basmati Rice in cold water for 15 minutes.
Wash under cold water until water runs clear and then drain well. Bring
500 ml – 1 litre (2 – 4 cups) of water and 3-5 ml (½ – 1 teaspoon) of
salt to boil. Add the rice. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
For a softer rice, add more water and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Drain and rinse under cold running water. Return rice to a saucepan and
cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook on very low heat for 5 – 10
minutes. Transfer to a sieve or colander and allow to stand for 5
minutes before serving.

Microwave:
Soak 250 ml (1 cup) of Tastic Basmati Rice in cold water for 15 minutes.
Wash under cold water until water runs clear and then drain well. Place
500 ml – 1liter (2 – 4 cups) water in a large microwave dish. Bring to
boil, add 3-5 ml (½ – 1 teaspoon) salt and rice. Cook on high for 14 –
16 minutes. Transfer cooked rice to a sieve or colander and allow to
stand for 5 minutes before serving

Available in the rice aisle.

A cup of raw Tastic Basmati Rice provides 4 – 6 fragrant servings of
delicious rice with and superb flavour and texture.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who usually does the RTFM thing when in doubt...

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee > wrote:

> This is the reason I usually don't say the ratio I use and have used for 35
> years now, because everytime I do say what I use, there are dozens of
> others that use 1:2. So, I must be doing something wrong, heh ;-))

> I use 1:1.25 for every rice I make. However, when I make basmati, I do soak
> it for 30 minutes, and let it drain for 30 minutes before cooking.
> (Sometimes I do this with cheaper Tex-mex grains.)

I use 1:1.5 rice:water when cooking rice. Doesn't matter what type.
Seems to work for me. The hard red rice I got recently at the big
Green Festival in DC takes almost twice as long to cook, but comes
out fine. Jasmine is my favorite and staple rice in my kitchen.
15 minutes of simmering, 10 minutes sitting covered after that, and
it fluffs up nicely. Just right, at least for me.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message ...
> Dee Dee > wrote:
>
>> This is the reason I usually don't say the ratio I use and have used for
>> 35
>> years now, because everytime I do say what I use, there are dozens of
>> others that use 1:2. So, I must be doing something wrong, heh ;-))

>> I use 1:1.25 for every rice I make. However, when I make basmati, I do
>> soak
>> it for 30 minutes, and let it drain for 30 minutes before cooking.
>> (Sometimes I do this with cheaper Tex-mex grains.)

> I use 1:1.5 rice:water when cooking rice. Doesn't matter what type.
> Seems to work for me. The hard red rice I got recently at the big
> Green Festival in DC takes almost twice as long to cook, but comes
> out fine. Jasmine is my favorite and staple rice in my kitchen.
> 15 minutes of simmering, 10 minutes sitting covered after that, and
> it fluffs up nicely. Just right, at least for me.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

I like the hard red rice, too. But it's been so long, I can't recall what I
did. I recall though I got the recipe out of a Singapore book I bought on
the spur of the moment while in Singapore. I had never heard of it before
then.

There is not much difference between the amount of water that I use. For
those who are wondering how much to use; I guess Bill's and my answers are
good.

Jasmine is fabulous, I'll definitely agree. Can't go wrong.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>>
>> I just noticed you're in South Africa. Maybe the rice you
>> get down there is a lot different from the rice we get here
>> in the US, but I find it hard to believe that it would be all
>> that different. I mean rice is rice. There's not much you can
>> do to it to change it much. All long grain rices (basmati, jasmine,
>> other) are pretty much the same and should cook pretty much the same.
>> Want to send me some South African basmati rice and I'll see what
>> happens when I cook it here? ;-)
>> Kate
>>

> Heh. And I suppose you expect me to pay for the postage of 2kgs of rice
> too. Hmph! <Cathy winks at Kate>

Well, uh, yeah. It would cost a fortune to ship
it here from there. Sheesh. ;-)

> Anyway, here's what they say on their website...
>
> http://www.tastic.co.za/Recipes/ROW-Recipes-index.htm

Interesting. I can't see the reasoning behind all those
steps though. If I bought this same rice I would just
ignore what they say and do it my way. I'm sure it would
turn out great.

There are many cooking techniques that are overly
complicated and that people swear have to be done
that way to get the best results. I used to do it the
"right" way years ago until I decided to do it an easier
way and in every case it was just as good as the complicated
way.

Kate