Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food Allergies?

Probably asked before but...

I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain killers.

He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time I
saw him.

I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance. Gout
aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.

Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Probably asked before but...
>
> I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
> milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain killers.
>
> He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time I
> saw him.
>
> I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance. Gout
> aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>
> Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
>
> Andy

Wheat and related grains for me.

Very common.

Only way to really determine them is by doing an Elimination diet.
A good allergist/dietician can aid you as can some googling.

Trust me. Identify the culprits and it makes life a LOT better. :-)

IME, the older you get, the worse the reactions get.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

As the story goes, my parents fed me smoked salmon when I was a toddler.
I threw up so quickly and so violently that they knew I was allergic
and told me of the allergy as I got older. They joked about how I must
have been switched at the hospital. Little Jewish girls are not
supposed to be allergic to smoked salmon.

I had no desire to try salmon until I was in my late teens. I had a
bite, got an instant sore throat and painful blisters on my lips. I've
avoided salmon ever since. When I've gotten some by accident (as today
when the menu said the seafood bento came with shrimp and scallops but
there was clearly a big chunk of salmon in the mix), I get the same
slight sore throat and maybe a little labored breathing. I've never
tried more as I'm afraid I'll be unable to get air through my swollen
wind pipes. I keep Benedryl on me at all times.

Other seafoods do it to me too, but I've never been able to figure out
anything consistent about which ones. I try to err on the side of
caution. I probably avoid some seafoods that I wouldn't hurt me and
that I'd love.

I understand that people can grow into and grow out of allergies, but
the salmon one seems to be consistent for me.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> As the story goes, my parents fed me smoked salmon when I was a toddler.
> I threw up so quickly and so violently that they knew I was allergic
> and told me of the allergy as I got older. They joked about how I must
> have been switched at the hospital. Little Jewish girls are not
> supposed to be allergic to smoked salmon.
>

> I had no desire to try salmon until I was in my late teens. I had a
> bite, got an instant sore throat and painful blisters on my lips. I've
> avoided salmon ever since. When I've gotten some by accident (as today
> when the menu said the seafood bento came with shrimp and scallops but
> there was clearly a big chunk of salmon in the mix), I get the same
> slight sore throat and maybe a little labored breathing. I've never
> tried more as I'm afraid I'll be unable to get air through my swollen
> wind pipes. I keep Benedryl on me at all times.
>

> Other seafoods do it to me too, but I've never been able to figure out
> anything consistent about which ones. I try to err on the side of
> caution. I probably avoid some seafoods that I wouldn't hurt me and
> that I'd love.
>

> I understand that people can grow into and grow out of allergies, but
> the salmon one seems to be consistent for me.
>

> --Lia

Have you considered Iodine? It's a rather common allergy and rules out
just about all ocean foods.

Might be worth checking in to just for safety.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 2:32 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> Probably asked before but...
>
> I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
> milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain killers.
>
> He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time I
> saw him.
>
> I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance. Gout
> aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>
> Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?

No food allergies. Never had any. I'm 50. Luckily, I'm still ok
with lactose.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Have you considered Iodine? It's a rather common allergy and rules out
> just about all ocean foods.

I've considered it off and on over the years. I generally don't have
trouble with calamari, clams, cod, drum, haddock, halibut, lobster,
oysters, shrimp, sole, tilapia. I've had scares over the years with
crab, salmon, snapper, trout, tuna. That's not to say that I'm
definitely allergic to them, only that I thought I was getting a sore
throat and took a Benedryl right away.

I get iodized salt all the time with no symptoms.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> I've considered it off and on over the years. I generally don't have
> trouble with calamari, clams, cod, drum, haddock, halibut, lobster,
> oysters, shrimp, sole, tilapia. I've had scares over the years with
> crab, salmon, snapper, trout, tuna. That's not to say that I'm
> definitely allergic to them, only that I thought I was getting a sore
> throat and took a Benedryl right away.

Adding to my own post-- I should add that I take it as a point of pride
that there's always something I can order and enjoy at a seafood
restaurant. I can look at the menu and choose something without having
to drive the waiter crazy with asking the ingredients in every dish.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia wrote on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:57:40 -0400:

JA> Omelet wrote:
??>>
??>> Have you considered Iodine? It's a rather common allergy
??>> and rules out just about all ocean foods.

JA> I've considered it off and on over the years. I generally
JA> don't have trouble with calamari, clams, cod, drum,
JA> haddock, halibut, lobster, oysters, shrimp, sole, tilapia.
JA> I've had scares over the years with crab, salmon, snapper,
JA> trout, tuna. That's not to say that I'm definitely
JA> allergic to them, only that I thought I was getting a sore
JA> throat and took a Benedryl right away.

JA> I get iodized salt all the time with no symptoms.

None of your list bother me but I know I have a serious allergy
to penicillin and a mild one to fibrous dust. Most of the time
when I think I might be getting a food allergy it usually turns
out to be something else, probably an irritation, responding to
Claritin or the like, by pollen or drifting spores depending on
the time of the year.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> > Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
> >
> > Andy

> Wheat and related grains for me.
>
> Very common.
>
> Only way to really determine them is by doing an Elimination diet.
> A good allergist/dietician can aid you as can some googling.
>
> Trust me. Identify the culprits and it makes life a LOT better. :-)

It sure does. I suffered a lot of intestinal problems when I was a kid. I
didn't get tested for allergies until I was about 17 and found out I was
allergic to a lot of things that we regulars in my diet; eggs, milk,
cheese, tomatoes, potatoes, pork, nuts, hops, malt and yeast. I also have a
lactose intolerance and can't handle citrus fruits. Luckily, my allergies
are mild and I can handle small doses of the things I am allergic to, but
not in combinations.

> IME, the older you get, the worse the reactions get.

With some things. I don't eat nuts or citrus at all, though I make
exceptions for the odd Mojito. I can enjoy a beer or three once in a while.
I limit potatoes to once or twice a week at the most.

Knowing what bothers me makes me a lot more careful about the things I eat,
and leaves me feeling better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > Have you considered Iodine? It's a rather common allergy and rules out
> > just about all ocean foods.

> I've considered it off and on over the years. I generally don't have
> trouble with calamari, clams, cod, drum, haddock, halibut, lobster,
> oysters, shrimp, sole, tilapia. I've had scares over the years with
> crab, salmon, snapper, trout, tuna. That's not to say that I'm
> definitely allergic to them, only that I thought I was getting a sore
> throat and took a Benedryl right away.
>

> I get iodized salt all the time with no symptoms.
>

> --Lia

Have you seen an allergist?
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Andy wrote:

> Probably asked before but...
>
> I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
> milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain killers.
>
> He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time I
> saw him.
>
> I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance. Gout
> aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>
> Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
>
> Andy

As a baby/toddler, DS was unable to eat eggs. Well, he could, but it
wasn't a very good idea. When he was 4 mos old and received his 2nd
mandatory immunization shot(s), he screamed -- and I mean blood-curdling
screams too, way beyond vigorously crying -- for hours afterwards; he
also ran a slight fever, which is not uncommon after any immunization.
His pediatrician figured there may have been something (eggs?) in that
immunization to which he may have been allergic, so the pertussis
component was omitted from his subsequent immunizations for quite a few
years since it was egg-based.

Fast forward a few months when DS was started on solid foods. If I fed
him eggs (scrambled, whatever), he'd get a 'mottled' complexion on his
face & skin. So, for a few years, eggs were out of his diet. Luckily,
he grew out of that slight(?) food allergy by the time he started
elementary school (whew!!!!). Now as a grown adult, he eats anything
and everything that's put before him on a plate, unlike his picky parent
(me)!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 2:32 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> Probably asked before but...
>
> I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
> milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain killers.
>
> He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time I
> saw him.
>
> I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance. Gout
> aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>
> Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
>
> Andy

Seems like whenever I post here it's about allergies! I'm allergic to
eggs.

I also started developing lactose intolerance, when I stopped drinking
milk during college. But I've gained it back by repeatedly drinking
milk with cereal, chocolate milk, and lots of ice cream. At first I
kept getting the runs but I was determined to get that one back.. cuz
if you can't eat eggs and milk, that eliminates way too much yummy
stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:
> > >
> > > Have you considered Iodine? It's a rather common allergy and rules out
> > > just about all ocean foods.

> > I've considered it off and on over the years. I generally don't have
> > trouble with calamari, clams, cod, drum, haddock, halibut, lobster,
> > oysters, shrimp, sole, tilapia. I've had scares over the years with
> > crab, salmon, snapper, trout, tuna. That's not to say that I'm
> > definitely allergic to them, only that I thought I was getting a sore
> > throat and took a Benedryl right away.
> >

> > I get iodized salt all the time with no symptoms.
> >

> > --Lia

> Have you seen an allergist?
> --
> Peace, Om

I have quite a few allergies, but luckily none is food related (knock on
wood!!!). This I do know, I will never ever again subject myself to the
skin tests done to determine what those allergies are. That was pure
torture and more for me!! Luckily, some (most?) allergies can now be
determined with a simple blood sample (I think?!).

Sky, who's sick of (allergy) meds but without meds gets sick (allergies)

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Have you seen an allergist?

25 years ago I saw an allergist and got scratch tests. I did not enjoy
them. The ones for
non-food items made sense. I was allergic to cigarette smoke, dust,
newspaper ink, and a whole variety of pollens. The ones for food made
less sense.

Now I understand allergy tests can be done with blood and are not nearly
so painful.

Part of me is curious to find out which seafoods I'm allergic to once
and for all. The other part of me knows that as long as I avoid seafood
I might be allergic to, nothing is life-threatening. My quality of life
isn't affected much as there are so many types of seafood I can eat and
enjoy.

I live in a world where it's hard enough to find a doctor who will spend
more than 12 minutes with me no matter what the insurance or how much
I'm willing to pay. These doctors don't pay attention to histories,
don't listen to patients, and don't seem to care much.

If I'm going to choose my battles, I'd rather fight with the doctor who
kept recommending Excendrin Migraine to someone who is allergic to
Tylenol/acetominophen. (Excendrin Migraine contains adcetominophen, but
she didn't seem to believe that even when I reminded her of the fact.)
(I didn't fight the battle. I stopped going to the incompetent doctor.)
I'm only trying to make the point that finding out which sorts of
seafood I'm allergic to is something I'd kind of like to do but not high
on my priority list on information I want from a doctor.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Andy <q> said:
> Probably asked before but...
>
> I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
> milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain killers.
>
> He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time I
> saw him.
>
> I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance. Gout
> aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>
> Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?

Milk, strawberries, chocolate, citrus fruits, and tomatoes, AFAIK.
They all gave me hives. I outgrew the milk thing by the time I was
a teenager and the others are okay as I go easy...

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >

> > > Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
> > >
> > > Andy

> > Wheat and related grains for me.
> >
> > Very common.
> >
> > Only way to really determine them is by doing an Elimination diet.
> > A good allergist/dietician can aid you as can some googling.
> >
> > Trust me. Identify the culprits and it makes life a LOT better. :-)
> >

> It sure does. I suffered a lot of intestinal problems when I was a kid. I
> didn't get tested for allergies until I was about 17 and found out I was
> allergic to a lot of things that we regulars in my diet; eggs, milk,
> cheese, tomatoes, potatoes, pork, nuts, hops, malt and yeast. I also have a
> lactose intolerance and can't handle citrus fruits. Luckily, my allergies
> are mild and I can handle small doses of the things I am allergic to, but
> not in combinations.
>
> > IME, the older you get, the worse the reactions get.

> With some things. I don't eat nuts or citrus at all, though I make
> exceptions for the odd Mojito. I can enjoy a beer or three once in a while.
> I limit potatoes to once or twice a week at the most.
>
> Knowing what bothers me makes me a lot more careful about the things I eat,
> and leaves me feeling better.

Been there, done that. :-)
The suffering I did as a child...

My parents did not recognize what was going on.
I had to discover it myself later in life.

I've also had to give up coffee and severely limit potatoes.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > Have you seen an allergist?

> 25 years ago I saw an allergist and got scratch tests. I did not enjoy
> them. The ones for
> non-food items made sense. I was allergic to cigarette smoke, dust,
> newspaper ink, and a whole variety of pollens. The ones for food made
> less sense.
>

> Now I understand allergy tests can be done with blood and are not nearly
> so painful.
>

> Part of me is curious to find out which seafoods I'm allergic to once
> and for all. The other part of me knows that as long as I avoid seafood
> I might be allergic to, nothing is life-threatening. My quality of life
> isn't affected much as there are so many types of seafood I can eat and
> enjoy.
>

> I live in a world where it's hard enough to find a doctor who will spend
> more than 12 minutes with me no matter what the insurance or how much
> I'm willing to pay. These doctors don't pay attention to histories,
> don't listen to patients, and don't seem to care much.
>

> If I'm going to choose my battles, I'd rather fight with the doctor who
> kept recommending Excendrin Migraine to someone who is allergic to
> Tylenol/acetominophen. (Excendrin Migraine contains adcetominophen, but
> she didn't seem to believe that even when I reminded her of the fact.)
> (I didn't fight the battle. I stopped going to the incompetent doctor.)
> I'm only trying to make the point that finding out which sorts of
> seafood I'm allergic to is something I'd kind of like to do but not high
> on my priority list on information I want from a doctor.
>

> --Lia

I understand. :-)
I was just curious. I'd be concerned tho' that sometimes experimenting
with allergic reactions can be deadly...

Consider and epi-pen.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I understand. :-)
> I was just curious. I'd be concerned tho' that sometimes experimenting
> with allergic reactions can be deadly...
>
> Consider and epi-pen.

Right. That's why I don't experiment. If there's any chance I'm
allergic to the seafood, I stop trying and just don't eat it. I've
never had a reaction that might necessitate an epipen. I'm sticking
with Benedryl.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:32:18 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Probably asked before but...
>
>I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
>milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain killers.
>
>He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time I
>saw him.
>
>I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance. Gout
>aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>
>Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
>
>Andy

I watched 60 Minutes Sunday night. They reported on a miracle food,
made of peanuts and other things, called Plumpynut, that is saving
tens of thousands from starvation in Africa and other places. The
developers were asked about peanut alergies, and they stated that
there haven't been any reports of allergies, because food allergies
aren't found in underdeveloped environments, only in highly developed
ones. So what is it that we do that causes an allergic reaction to
food?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

raymond wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:32:18 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
> >Probably asked before but...
> >
> >I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
> >milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain killers.
> >
> >He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time I
> >saw him.
> >
> >I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance. Gout
> >aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
> >
> >Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
> >
> >Andy

> I watched 60 Minutes Sunday night. They reported on a miracle food,
> made of peanuts and other things, called Plumpynut, that is saving
> tens of thousands from starvation in Africa and other places. The
> developers were asked about peanut alergies, and they stated that
> there haven't been any reports of allergies, because food allergies
> aren't found in underdeveloped environments, only in highly developed
> ones. So what is it that we do that causes an allergic reaction to
> food?

I watched the same show - and was amazed! I've never heard of
"plumpynut" before and it seems to be a 'miracle' food for those babies,
especially in Niger and other African countries at risk! However, I
think perhaps the allergies might be induced by immunizations at 2, 4, &
6 months of age???? Purely conjecture on my part.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Probably asked before but...
>
> I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
> milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain
> killers.
>
> He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time
> saw him.
>
> I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance.
> Gout
> aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>
> Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?

Oh yeah. As a baby, I wouldn't breast feed and I threw up any and all milk
they gave me. I was born in 1959. Not sure they had any commercial
formulas back then. But they might have. My parents figured I was allergic
to milk, and yet at some point they began giving me milk.

I was sick to my stomach all the time and threw up a lot. If I wasn't
throwing up, I was having trouble with the other end. Drs. said I had
allergies, and they gave me allergy pills which didn't seem to help much and
gave me a lot of side effects.

As a teen, I had acne. My Dr. told my mom to stop giving me milk and see if
my acne cleared up. She did and it did. Dr. said I was lactose intolerant.
So for years, this is what I thought I had. Although I wasn't "drinking"
milk, I was still consuming it in other forms. Like mashed potatoes or corn
bread. I'd never liked ice cream, so I rarely ever ate that. I did like
cheese and I ate as much of that as I could, which wasn't a whole lot since
my mom didn't think cheese was particularly good for us. Too much fat, you
know.

I also had lots of respiratory problems. Ear, sinus and throat infections.
Had my tonsils out at something like age 4 or 5. Sought out the help of an
ENT as an adult. I seemed to be sick more than I wasn't sick.

My mom had been diagnosed with food allergies a couple of times, but acted
like she didn't believe it. At times she would avoid some foods. Other
times she would act like she had never heard of the allergies, or she would
seem confused and say that she didn't eat something but she didn't know why
she didn't eat it.

Zoom forward some years. I got married and had a baby. A baby who threw up
all the time. Was cranky and cried and wouldn't sleep. Of course she never
did this at the Drs. office. Was quiet and cooed and smiled. So no Dr.
would believe me. I suspected a milk allergy. I wasn't producing enough
breast milk so we had to supplement with formula. The milk based ones made
her sick. But so did the soy based. No matter what we gave her, she threw
it back up.

She only stopped throwing up when we introduced solid foods. And she seemed
to prefer the solid foods over the formula.

At age 1, I switched her to cow's milk, but I didn't force her to drink it
at every meal like I had been. I wasn't convinced this was all that good
for her. And a favorite food? A whole wheat tortilla spread with peanut
butter and jelly, wrapped around a banana.

At about age 1, the respiratory problems began. If it wasn't that, she was
throwing up, or sitting on the toilet. That was after we got her toilet
trained, which didn't happen until just before her 4th birthday. What I
didn't know then but know now is that food allergic kids are hard to potty
train. They are so sick to their stomachs all the time that they can't tell
by feeling that they need to use the toilet. They just pretty much feel
like crap all of the time.

More problems began when she entered school. They suspected ADHD. She
couldn't concentrate in school. Couldn't sit still. Always had to use the
bathroom so it made it hard to get her out the door to get her to school. I
thought it was nerves. Drs. told me she had allergies, but they said she
didn't have food allergies, as though they were psychic. They never tested.

Long story of going from Dr. to Dr. and getting no help. Then we took her
to my mom's naturopath. Turns out she was allergic to dairy, eggs, wheat,
gluten, soy, peanuts and bananas. All the things I'd been feeding her every
day.

I immediately changed her diet. Took her about 2 weeks to detox. She got
really sick at about the 2 week mark and now I have a new kid. Suddenly she
could pay attention in school. No more outbursts. No more violence. She
used to hit or kick people for no apparent reason. No more dashing to the
bathroom. No more reparatory problems. She fell behind in school and had
to be put in special ed. Now she is in the 4th grade and no longer in
special ed. She is doing well.

Since then, my mom had allergy testing done again. Most of what I already
knew she had was confirmed again. And some new ones. Like chicken. She
still doesn't do a very good job of avoiding her allergens if you ask me.
For instance, she will say "no cheese" on her salad, but then eat some
cornbread that has milk in it.

Then it was my time. Started when I got some egg salad at a local salad
bar. I had stopped eating so many eggs after daughter was diagnosed with
the allergy. Seems once you get the allergen out of your system, the
stronger you react to it if you DO eat it. I got really ill and suspected
food poisoning.

About a month went by and I realized the eggs in my fridge were about to go
bad. So I made egg salad. Ate it and got really ill. Worse than the time
before. Now I knew something was up. I vowed not to eat any more eggs.
But I probably wasn't as careful as I should have been, perhaps consuming
some bread or something in a restaurant that had eggs in it. Like pasta.

My mom insisted I be tested for allergies. I was. By her naturopath.
Turns out I was not only severely allergic to eggs, but also allergic to
dairy and almonds. I can't say that I ate a lot of almonds on a regular
basis so that was no biggie.

The dairy allergy was far harder for me to adjust to. Meant I pretty much
had to cook everything from scratch. Have found only a couple of baked
breads that don't contain dairy and/or eggs. I don't dare have a sandwich
in a restaurant unless they can prove to me that the bread is safe. A lot
of restaurants can not provide you with the ingredients...or perhaps I
should say will not. Can't eat at most chain restaurants like Denny's or
McDonalds (not that I'd want to) because they put milk in things where you
wouldn't suspect it. Like green beans and French fries.

I've discovered things like vegan rice cheese. I can make pizza and nachos
with it! And Smart Squeeze margarine. Before I ate only real butter. Most
margarines contain milk so they are out of the question. And they contain
soy so daughter can't eat them. I only use the Smart Squeeze when I want a
butter flavor. Otherwise, I use coconut or olive oil.

Since changing my diet, I have had only one sinus infection and it cleared
up quickly. And my stomach problems have cleared. I used to go through
Imodium like it was candy.

I have had something weird happen though when I inadvertently ate dairy.
Twice, I found a shred of cheese in my restaurant food and this last week it
was what appeared to be a bit of sour cream on the tomato garnish at the
Mexican restaurant. In all cases, I was careful not to eat any of the food
that was touching or even near the dairy product. But all three times a few
hours later, I felt faint and my BP dropped very low. Not good. I have to
be really careful now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Probably asked before but...
>>
>> I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
>> milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain
>> killers.
>>
>> He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last
>> time I
>> saw him.
>>
>> I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance.
>> Gout
>> aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>>
>> Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
>>
>> Andy

> Wheat and related grains for me.
>
> Very common.
>
> Only way to really determine them is by doing an Elimination diet.
> A good allergist/dietician can aid you as can some googling.
>
> Trust me. Identify the culprits and it makes life a LOT better. :-)
>
> IME, the older you get, the worse the reactions get.

We had the RAST test done. It's done by a simple blood draw. If you have
more than one allergen, then the elimination diet doesn't always work so
well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>>
>> Probably asked before but...
>>
>> I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
>> milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain
>> killers.
>>
>> He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last
>> time I
>> saw him.
>>
>> I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance.
>> Gout
>> aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>>
>> Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
>>
>> Andy

> As a baby/toddler, DS was unable to eat eggs. Well, he could, but it
> wasn't a very good idea. When he was 4 mos old and received his 2nd
> mandatory immunization shot(s), he screamed -- and I mean blood-curdling
> screams too, way beyond vigorously crying -- for hours afterwards; he
> also ran a slight fever, which is not uncommon after any immunization.
> His pediatrician figured there may have been something (eggs?) in that
> immunization to which he may have been allergic, so the pertussis
> component was omitted from his subsequent immunizations for quite a few
> years since it was egg-based.
>
> Fast forward a few months when DS was started on solid foods. If I fed
> him eggs (scrambled, whatever), he'd get a 'mottled' complexion on his
> face & skin. So, for a few years, eggs were out of his diet. Luckily,
> he grew out of that slight(?) food allergy by the time he started
> elementary school (whew!!!!). Now as a grown adult, he eats anything
> and everything that's put before him on a plate, unlike his picky parent
> (me)!

I had only one flu shot and it made me violently ill. We didn't know then
that I was allergic to eggs. Never again!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> I watched the same show - and was amazed! I've never heard of
> "plumpynut" before and it seems to be a 'miracle' food for those babies,

"Plumpynut" sounds like a folky synonym for "elephantiasis".

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> raymond wrote:
>>

>> I watched 60 Minutes Sunday night. They reported on a miracle food,
>> made of peanuts and other things, called Plumpynut, that is saving
>> tens of thousands from starvation in Africa and other places. The
>> developers were asked about peanut alergies, and they stated that
>> there haven't been any reports of allergies, because food allergies
>> aren't found in underdeveloped environments, only in highly developed
>> ones. So what is it that we do that causes an allergic reaction to
>> food?

> I watched the same show - and was amazed! I've never heard of
> "plumpynut" before and it seems to be a 'miracle' food for those babies,
> especially in Niger and other African countries at risk! However, I
> think perhaps the allergies might be induced by immunizations at 2, 4, &
> 6 months of age???? Purely conjecture on my part.
>
> Sky

I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty anymore. Farm
kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma than city kids. They're
exposed to a lot more dirt and germs. It keeps their immune systems
healthy. An immune system that isn't exposed to dirt and germs tends to
turn on the body in numerous ways.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"raymond" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:32:18 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Probably asked before but...
>>
>>I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
>>milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain
>>killers.
>>
>>He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time
>>saw him.
>>
>>I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance.
>>Gout
>>aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>>
>>Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
>>
>>Andy

> I watched 60 Minutes Sunday night. They reported on a miracle food,
> made of peanuts and other things, called Plumpynut, that is saving
> tens of thousands from starvation in Africa and other places. The
> developers were asked about peanut alergies, and they stated that
> there haven't been any reports of allergies, because food allergies
> aren't found in underdeveloped environments, only in highly developed
> ones. So what is it that we do that causes an allergic reaction to
> food?

Or maybe they *have* the food allergies and they're just not *found* because
of lack of medical care.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

> I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty anymore.
> Farm kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma than city kids.
> They're exposed to a lot more dirt and germs. It keeps their immune
> systems healthy. An immune system that isn't exposed to dirt and germs
> tends to turn on the body in numerous ways.
> Ms P

I think you're on the right track there, Mrs.P.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ms P" > wrote in

> I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty
> anymore. Farm kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma
> than city kids. They're exposed to a lot more dirt and germs.
> It keeps their immune systems healthy. An immune system that
> isn't exposed to dirt and germs tends to turn on the body in
> numerous ways.
>

> Ms P

I agree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie,

Those are the most bothersome food allergy stories I've read.

Stay well, to you and yours.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Oh yeah. As a baby, I wouldn't breast feed and I threw up any and all milk
> they gave me.

The mother breastfeeds. The baby nurses. The image I got reading the
above was somewhere between not pretty and quite funny.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

> I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty anymore.
> Farm kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma than city kids.
> They're exposed to a lot more dirt and germs. It keeps their immune
> systems healthy. An immune system that isn't exposed to dirt and
> germs tends to turn on the body in numerous ways.

How true.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ms P wrote:
>
>> I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty anymore.
>> Farm kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma than city kids.
>> They're exposed to a lot more dirt and germs. It keeps their immune
>> systems healthy. An immune system that isn't exposed to dirt and germs
>> tends to turn on the body in numerous ways.
>> Ms P

> I think you're on the right track there, Mrs.P.

Sometimes it doesn't make that big of a difference. I sent my children out
to play in the dirt. They got exposed to all manner of muck and crud. The
oldest one started developing food allergies at about 28. He said he
thought he was going to die from eating a Salted Nut Roll at work one day.
It's only gotten worse from there.

I can't imagine how frail and weak he would be if I hadn't sent him out to
play in the dirt!!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

There's still a lot unknown about what causes one person to become
allergic and the next person not to. Current knowledge points to
overcleanliness to be one factor but hereditary still to be the biggest one.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

> > I think you're on the right track there, Mrs.P.

> Sometimes it doesn't make that big of a difference. I sent my children out
> to play in the dirt. They got exposed to all manner of muck and crud. The
> oldest one started developing food allergies at about 28. He said he
> thought he was going to die from eating a Salted Nut Roll at work one day.
> It's only gotten worse from there.
>
> I can't imagine how frail and weak he would be if I hadn't sent him out to
> play in the dirt!!

I have three brothers. The oldest has no allergy problems at all. The next
oldest has serious hay fever allergies and problems with cats and dogs. I
have very mild problems with hay fever, just swollen eyes and a little
nasal congestion during the worst times, also a slight problem with dogs,
cats and horses, plus few food allergies that I can control by avoiding the
problem foods. My younger brother has serious hay fever, can tolerate dogs
but not cats, horses or birds. He has a few food allergies that cause
sickness if exposed.

We all grew up in the same house and did the same types of things when we
were kids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> There's still a lot unknown about what causes one person to become
> allergic and the next person not to. Current knowledge points to
> overcleanliness to be one factor but hereditary still to be the biggest one.

As I pointed out in another post, my four brothers shared the same parents,
the same environment and the same activities. Two had bad allergy
problems, one had no allergies and I have mild allergies, and the allergies
are to different things. Neither of my parents had allergy problems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Ms P wrote:
>
>> > I think you're on the right track there, Mrs.P.

>> Sometimes it doesn't make that big of a difference. I sent my children
>> out
>> to play in the dirt. They got exposed to all manner of muck and crud.
>> The
>> oldest one started developing food allergies at about 28. He said he
>> thought he was going to die from eating a Salted Nut Roll at work one
>> day.
>> It's only gotten worse from there.
>>
>> I can't imagine how frail and weak he would be if I hadn't sent him out
>> play in the dirt!!

> I have three brothers. The oldest has no allergy problems at all. The next
> oldest has serious hay fever allergies and problems with cats and dogs. I
> have very mild problems with hay fever, just swollen eyes and a little
> nasal congestion during the worst times, also a slight problem with dogs,
> cats and horses, plus few food allergies that I can control by avoiding
> the
> problem foods. My younger brother has serious hay fever, can tolerate dogs
> but not cats, horses or birds. He has a few food allergies that cause
> sickness if exposed.
>
> We all grew up in the same house and did the same types of things when we
> were kids.

My youngest son doesn't have any allergies to speak of now. He started off
allergic to milk and got soy formula before he left the hospital.

We had cats and dogs when they were kids and we lived on a farm for a while.
Even after we moved from the farm the kids spent a fair amount of time there
with their grandparents.

I think the oldest inherited his allergies. His grandmother and great aunts
all have allergies to a variety of things. I have some allergies myself but
not to food.

Allergies, asthma and auto immune diseases are becoming a lot more prevelent
now than they were in my mother's generation and they have all been linked
to too much cleanliness.

There is a Newsweek article on the subject.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/57368/page/1

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> IME, the older you get, the worse the reactions get.
> --
> Peace, Om

I think it's more likely that the more times you have a reaction, the
worse the reactions get (they compound), not age. That's what my
physicians have told me. Therefore, I just don't take any chances any
more. I already end up in the emergency room with a microscopic
taste....

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
> Andy <q> wrote:
>
> > Probably asked before but...

> > I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
> > milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain killers.

Undetected food intolerances are FAR more common than people
think. If you assert you have none, what evidence do you have to
support the assertion?

> > He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time I
> > saw him.

Intolerances tend to trigger addictive behavior patterns. With a
food intolerance that's overeating.

> > I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance. Gout
> > aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.

> > Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?

> Wheat and related grains for me.
> Very common.

For me it's quite specific to wheat. Not a gluten intolerance as I
don't
have problems with rye bread, oatmeal, rheinhatsgobot quality beer.

> Only way to really determine them is by doing an Elimination diet.

That's the deal. Asserting you don't have food intolerances simply
means you don't know of any. That's NOT the same as knowing
for real you don't have any. Only an elimination process can teach
you that.

> A good allergist/dietician can aid you as can some googling.

Much more expensive than an elimination plan.

> Trust me. Identify the culprits and it makes life a LOT better. :-)
> IME, the older you get, the worse the reactions get.

One day I went on Atkins (which is an elimination system in
addition to a low carb weight loss system). Suddenly I felt better.
The list of "normal" health stuff from my whole life before then that
suddenly became "symptoms" was long. Chronic cough, indigestion,
you name it. The first time I ate they all came back. But before
Atkins I'd never gone more than one day in my life without wheat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 24, 8:17 am, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > Oh yeah. As a baby, I wouldn't breast feed and I threw up any and all milk
> > they gave me.

> The mother breastfeeds. The baby nurses. The image I got reading the
> above was somewhere between not pretty and quite funny.

Send that milk to Venezuela!

> --Lia

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger > wrote:

>Asserting you don't have food intolerances simply
>means you don't know of any. That's NOT the same as knowing
>for real you don't have any.

It is hypochondriac to believe that you have a medical
condition unless there are observed symptoms pointing in
that direction. (And even then, it may be hypochondriac.)

Steve