FoodBanter.com

-   -   A Strange Way To Eat That Was Once Common (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/137502-strange-way-eat-once.html)

javawizard 17-10-2007 05:17 PM

A Strange Way To Eat That Was Once Common

It's hard to imagine that until about four hundred years ago, European
people ate everything with their fingers. When a few people started
using forks in England, everyone else thought the idea of using tools
to eat was totally ridiculous. - from the Food History section of
www.odd-info.com

Michael Kuettner 17-10-2007 06:29 PM

A Strange Way To Eat That Was Once Common

"javawizard" > schrieb

> It's hard to imagine that until about four hundred years ago, European
> people ate everything with their fingers. When a few people started
> using forks in England, everyone else thought the idea of using tools
> to eat was totally ridiculous. - from the Food History section of
> www.odd-info.com

Strange. The quarrel about the usage of the fork started in the 11th. century.
In Venezia ...
Then there were spoon and knife ...

odd-info seems to be full of shit.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree 17-10-2007 07:21 PM

"Michael Kuettner" > wrote in message

> "javawizard" > schrieb
>
>> It's hard to imagine that until about four hundred years ago, European
>> people ate everything with their fingers. When a few people started
>> using forks in England, everyone else thought the idea of using tools
>> to eat was totally ridiculous. - from the Food History section of
>> www.odd-info.com
>>

> Strange. The quarrel about the usage of the fork started in the 11th.
> century.
> In Venezia ...
> Then there were spoon and knife ...
>
> odd-info seems to be full of shit.

*snort*

Default User 17-10-2007 08:18 PM

Michael Kuettner wrote:

> "javawizard" > schrieb
>
> > It's hard to imagine that until about four hundred years ago,
> > European people ate everything with their fingers. When a few
> > people started using forks in England, everyone else thought the
> > idea of using tools to eat was totally ridiculous. - from the Food
> > History section of www.odd-info.com
> >

> Strange. The quarrel about the usage of the fork started in the 11th.
> century. In Venezia ...
> Then there were spoon and knife ...

Yeah, the knife used to be the primary eating utensil. In fact, as I
recall the first forks weren't even for eating, they were like minature
carving forks, with two sharp prongs. People used them to hold meat
while they cut it, then ate with the knife. Or something like that.

Brian

won't shut up.

Michael Kuettner 17-10-2007 09:06 PM

"Default User" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Michael Kuettner wrote:
>

>> "javawizard" > schrieb
>>
>> > It's hard to imagine that until about four hundred years ago,
>> > European people ate everything with their fingers. When a few
>> > people started using forks in England, everyone else thought the
>> > idea of using tools to eat was totally ridiculous. - from the Food
>> > History section of www.odd-info.com
>> >

>> Strange. The quarrel about the usage of the fork started in the 11th.
>> century. In Venezia ...
>> Then there were spoon and knife ...

> Yeah, the knife used to be the primary eating utensil. In fact, as I
> recall the first forks weren't even for eating, they were like minature
> carving forks, with two sharp prongs. People used them to hold meat
> while they cut it, then ate with the knife. Or something like that.

No. The fork came from Byzantine. It was used for stuffing food
into the cake-hole.
It was originally two-pronged, as you say.
The problem with the fork was the schism of 1054; first condemnation
of a "tool for emasculated heretics" or something along those lines.
That went on until Luther ...

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

[email protected] 17-10-2007 09:23 PM

Michael Kuettner > wrote:

> "javawizard" > schrieb

> > using forks in England, everyone else thought the idea of using tools
> > to eat was totally ridiculous. - from the Food History section of
> >

> odd-info seems to be full of shit.

This "javawizard" guy seems to be spamming his odd-<whatever>
series of web pages all over the net. I assume he's trying to
drum up business as a web page designer/builder. Either that
or just trying to get click-throughs.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Wayne Boatwright[_2_] 18-10-2007 06:08 AM

A Strange Way To Eat That Was Once Common

Oh pshaw, on Wed 17 Oct 2007 10:11:34a, Janet Baraclough meant to say...

> The message .com>
> from javawizard > contains these words:
>
>> It's hard to imagine that until about four hundred years ago, European
>> people ate everything with their fingers. When a few people started
>> using forks in England, everyone else thought the idea of using tools
>> to eat was totally ridiculous. - from the Food History section of
>> www.odd-info.com

> You'll be glad to hear, that history is reversing itself and once
> again, European people are strating to eat with their fingers, even
> adults in restaurants. First they gave up the knife and started holding
> their fork in the right hand, like Americans; then they laid down their
> forks and started picking up food with their hands and wiping it round
> the gravy. Around the same time, many of them started holding their pen
> or pencil by four fingersd against the palm, like a dagger. Soon, we
> will be back to scratching pictograms on rocks, and tearing bits of raw
> meat off the dog while we squat around the log-effect gas fire, grunting
> to each other and fighting over the remote control.
>
> Janet.

I've noticed the "holding the pen" thing with quite a few younger people
lately. Do they not teach penmanship in school anymore? I doubt that I
could scrawl any legible holding it that way.

It has long been proper in the US to eat asparagus with the fingers, as
well as artichokes. Don't think I've witnessed the whole meal eaten that
way yet, except for someone sopping up gravy with bread.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
are still free.

Bobo Bonobo® 18-10-2007 04:36 PM

On Oct 17, 10:17 am, javawizard > wrote:
> It's hard to imagine that until about four hundred years ago, European
> people ate everything with their fingers. When a few people started
> using forks in England, everyone else thought the idea of using tools
> to eat was totally ridiculous. - from the Food History section ofwww.odd-info.com

It's fun eating mashed potatoes and gravy with (scrupulously clean)
fingers :)
I'd never do it in public though.

--Bryan

Wayne Boatwright[_2_] 18-10-2007 05:47 PM

A Strange Way To Eat That Was Once Common

Oh pshaw, on Thu 18 Oct 2007 08:13:16a, l, not -l meant to say...

> On 18-Oct-2007, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I've noticed the "holding the pen" thing with quite a few younger
>> people lately. Do they not teach penmanship in school anymore? I
>> doubt that I could scrawl any legible holding it that way.

> Most schools in the US do not teach, or seem to care about, penmanship.
> The Pen Collectors of America (http://www.pencollectors.com/) has
> adopted the Pens for Kids project as its major mission. Member
> volunteers and teachers are working together to bring the use of
> fountain pens and pride of penmanship to children.

That's really a shame. I won't ever forget my 2nd grade teacher who taught
us penmanship. I'm not artistic with a brush in hand, but I won several
penmanship awards. I've always taken pride in the way my writing looks,
and I still get compliments on it from strangers. I was in 2nd grade in
1952, and we used an inkwell and penpoint in holder for classes.

> If interested in knowing more about the project and how you can help, or
> a school near you can benefit, visit the website and navigate to the
> Projects page, scroll down a half-page and read about "Pens for Kids".

I'll take a look at that.

Thanks l

Dee Dee 18-10-2007 06:52 PM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >

I won't ever forget my 2nd grade teacher who taught
> us penmanship.

> Wayne Boatwright

Oh, I loved penmanship!

I was never enamored with European calligraphy, but I took Chinese and
Japanese writing (calligraphy) for a couple of years, and I fell in love
with it, too.

Smiling,
Dee Dee

Wayne Boatwright[_2_] 18-10-2007 07:46 PM

A Strange Way To Eat That Was Once Common

Oh pshaw, on Thu 18 Oct 2007 10:52:25a, Dee Dee meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
>
> I won't ever forget my 2nd grade teacher who taught
>> us penmanship.

>> Wayne Boatwright

> Oh, I loved penmanship!
>
> I was never enamored with European calligraphy, but I took Chinese and
> Japanese writing (calligraphy) for a couple of years, and I fell in love
> with it, too.
>
> Smiling,
> Dee Dee

I'll bet you're good at it, too!

Dee Dee 18-10-2007 09:15 PM

A Strange Way To Eat That Was Once Common

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 18 Oct 2007 10:52:25a, Dee Dee meant to say...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
>>
>> I won't ever forget my 2nd grade teacher who taught
>>> us penmanship.

>>> Wayne Boatwright

>> Oh, I loved penmanship!
>>
>> I was never enamored with European calligraphy, but I took Chinese and
>> Japanese writing (calligraphy) for a couple of years, and I fell in love
>> with it, too.
>>
>> Smiling,
>> Dee Dee

> I'll bet you're good at it, too!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Well -- sometimes we are good at things we like to do; sometimes not! ;-))
Dee Dee