Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ancho chilies vs. Guajillo chilies

I am going to make a 1-whole chicken recipe (that calls for 2 ancho dried
chilies in making the sauce, but I only have on hand guajillo chilies. It
also calls for 2 canned chipotle chilies; the only two different chilies in
this recipe. I don't think the recipe will be hot as it also calls for a
slice of bread and 1-1/4 cups of peanuts.

I don't feel that substituting the guajillo's are going to make a
significant difference in this un-tried recipe. Any comments saying I
shouldn't substitute?
Thanks.

--
Dee Dee
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> I am going to make a 1-whole chicken recipe (that calls for 2 ancho dried
> chilies in making the sauce, but I only have on hand guajillo chilies. It
> also calls for 2 canned chipotle chilies; the only two different chilies in
> this recipe. I don't think the recipe will be hot as it also calls for a
> slice of bread and 1-1/4 cups of peanuts.
>
> I don't feel that substituting the guajillo's are going to make a
> significant difference in this un-tried recipe. Any comments saying I
> shouldn't substitute?
> Thanks.

Don't judge the recipe until you make it with anchos. I like guajillo
peppers, but they are entirely different than ancho peppers.

Ancho peppers are almost black and have a sweetish taste reminiscent of
good chewing tobacco. They will also provide some thickening. Guajillo
peppers are brick red, a little hotter, and taste about like any other
New Mexico red chiles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:14:19 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Dee Dee wrote:
>> I am going to make a 1-whole chicken recipe (that calls for 2 ancho dried
>> chilies in making the sauce, but I only have on hand guajillo chilies. It
>> also calls for 2 canned chipotle chilies; the only two different chilies in
>> this recipe. I don't think the recipe will be hot as it also calls for a
>> slice of bread and 1-1/4 cups of peanuts.
>>
>> I don't feel that substituting the guajillo's are going to make a
>> significant difference in this un-tried recipe. Any comments saying I
>> shouldn't substitute?
>> Thanks.
>>

>Don't judge the recipe until you make it with anchos. I like guajillo
>peppers, but they are entirely different than ancho peppers.
>
>Ancho peppers are almost black and have a sweetish taste reminiscent of
>good chewing tobacco. They will also provide some thickening. Guajillo
>peppers are brick red, a little hotter, and taste about like any other
>New Mexico red chiles.

bob, if you were to use either variety (dried) in a batch of chili,
what would you do?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:14:19 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> Dee Dee wrote:
>>> I am going to make a 1-whole chicken recipe (that calls for 2 ancho dried
>>> chilies in making the sauce, but I only have on hand guajillo chilies. It
>>> also calls for 2 canned chipotle chilies; the only two different chilies in
>>> this recipe. I don't think the recipe will be hot as it also calls for a
>>> slice of bread and 1-1/4 cups of peanuts.
>>>
>>> I don't feel that substituting the guajillo's are going to make a
>>> significant difference in this un-tried recipe. Any comments saying I
>>> shouldn't substitute?
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Don't judge the recipe until you make it with anchos. I like guajillo
>> peppers, but they are entirely different than ancho peppers.
>>
>> Ancho peppers are almost black and have a sweetish taste reminiscent of
>> good chewing tobacco. They will also provide some thickening. Guajillo
>> peppers are brick red, a little hotter, and taste about like any other
>> New Mexico red chiles.

> bob, if you were to use either variety (dried) in a batch of chili,
> what would you do?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I use both. If I had to use just one, it would be the guajillos but the
flavor will not be as complex.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:47:57 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
> wrote:
>
>>I am going to make a 1-whole chicken recipe (that calls for 2 ancho dried
>>chilies in making the sauce, but I only have on hand guajillo chilies.
>>It
>>also calls for 2 canned chipotle chilies; the only two different chilies
>>in
>>this recipe. I don't think the recipe will be hot as it also calls for a
>>slice of bread and 1-1/4 cups of peanuts.
>>
>>I don't feel that substituting the guajillo's are going to make a
>>significant difference in this un-tried recipe. Any comments saying I
>>shouldn't substitute?
>>Thanks.

> According to this site, Guajillo are rated at 5,000 Scoville units as
> compared to Ancho at 1,000. Up to you.
> --
> Susan N.

Anchos which I am pretty sure are poblanos, I love the nice taste. I've
never tasted Guajillo, but I will try it. The chicken will not wait past
tomorrow. It's still thawing.

Thanks for your reply.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:19:18 -0400:

DD> "The Cook" > wrote in message
??>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:47:57 -0400, "Dee Dee"
??>> > wrote:
??>>
??>>> I am going to make a 1-whole chicken recipe (that calls
??>>> for 2 ancho dried chilies in making the sauce, but I
??>>> only have on hand guajillo chilies. It also calls for 2
??>>> canned chipotle chilies; the only two different chilies
??>>> in this recipe. I don't think the recipe will be hot as
??>>> it also calls for a slice of bread and 1-1/4 cups of
??>>> peanuts.
??>>>
??>>> I don't feel that substituting the guajillo's are going
??>>> to make a significant difference in this un-tried recipe.
??>>> Any comments saying I shouldn't substitute? Thanks.
??>>
??>> According to this site, Guajillo are rated at 5,000
??>> Scoville units as compared to Ancho at 1,000. Up to you.

I know I've mentioned this before but Guajillos make good Pepper
Vodka, nothing like the wimpy stuff that Absolut makes with
green peppers!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I am going to make a 1-whole chicken recipe (that calls for 2 ancho dried
>chilies in making the sauce, but I only have on hand guajillo chilies. It
>also calls for 2 canned chipotle chilies; the only two different chilies in
>this recipe. I don't think the recipe will be hot as it also calls for a
>slice of bread and 1-1/4 cups of peanuts.
>
>I don't feel that substituting the guajillo's are going to make a
>significant difference in this un-tried recipe. Any comments saying I
>shouldn't substitute?
>Thanks.

According to this site, Guajillo are rated at 5,000 Scoville units as
compared to Ancho at 1,000. Up to you.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> I am going to make a 1-whole chicken recipe (that calls for 2 ancho dried
> chilies in making the sauce, but I only have on hand guajillo chilies. It
> also calls for 2 canned chipotle chilies; the only two different chilies in
> this recipe. I don't think the recipe will be hot as it also calls for a
> slice of bread and 1-1/4 cups of peanuts.
>
> I don't feel that substituting the guajillo's are going to make a
> significant difference in this un-tried recipe. Any comments saying I
> shouldn't substitute?
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Dee Dee

It will make a difference as anchos don't taste the same as guajillos.
But you won't know the difference unless you make both versions anyway
LOL.

Use what you want.

On another note, had a cookbook about Vietnamese food out of the
library. The American author only ever specified jalapenos where green
chiles were called for, rather than the thin green chiles which would be
more typical. Talk about two different tastes!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Dee Dee wrote:
>>
>> I am going to make a 1-whole chicken recipe (that calls for 2 ancho dried
>> chilies in making the sauce, but I only have on hand guajillo chilies.
>> It
>> also calls for 2 canned chipotle chilies; the only two different chilies
>> in
>> this recipe. I don't think the recipe will be hot as it also calls for a
>> slice of bread and 1-1/4 cups of peanuts.
>>
>> I don't feel that substituting the guajillo's are going to make a
>> significant difference in this un-tried recipe. Any comments saying I
>> shouldn't substitute?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Dee Dee

> It will make a difference as anchos don't taste the same as guajillos.
> But you won't know the difference unless you make both versions anyway
> LOL.
>
> Use what you want.
>
> On another note, had a cookbook about Vietnamese food out of the
> library. The American author only ever specified jalapenos where green
> chiles were called for, rather than the thin green chiles which would be
> more typical. Talk about two different tastes!

Now those two peppers I can really tell the difference.

This dish has so many things in it, that it shouldn't be pronounced, but I
do think I could tell the ancho. I've never had a chicken mexican dish that
included peanuts; that'll be a surprise.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:53:52 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:14:19 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:

>>> Don't judge the recipe until you make it with anchos. I like guajillo
>>> peppers, but they are entirely different than ancho peppers.
>>>
>>> Ancho peppers are almost black and have a sweetish taste reminiscent of
>>> good chewing tobacco. They will also provide some thickening. Guajillo
>>> peppers are brick red, a little hotter, and taste about like any other
>>> New Mexico red chiles.

>> bob, if you were to use either variety (dried) in a batch of chili,
>> what would you do?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>I use both. If I had to use just one, it would be the guajillos but the
>flavor will not be as complex.
>
>Bob

what i meant was, do you rehydrate them, or just chop them up and add
to the chili? about how much for chili with beans with about one
pound of meat? that sort of thing.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:31:50 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>On another note, had a cookbook about Vietnamese food out of the
>library. The American author only ever specified jalapenos where green
>chiles were called for, rather than the thin green chiles which would be
>more typical. Talk about two different tastes!

that's a little strange. was it an older book, assuming maybe the
proper chiles were too hard to get? (though usually such books note
that this would be a necessary substitution, not optimal.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:53:52 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>>blake murphy wrote:

Regarding the chicken dish:

I decided to not make this dish until I bought some anchos. But the main
reason was after I wrote up my recipe, I saw that the chicken had to be
"SKINNED!" I will just buy later some skinned breasts and thigh meat for
this recipe.

Today I'm making instead: Pollito en cazuela (Stewed whole chicken).
However, I did cut off the legs and wings to get it into the pot to brown.
It is a simpler recipe calling for cinnamon, thyme, oregano, etc.

OB: Stewed chicken, Roasted chestnuts, green beans, romaine salad with
tomatoes.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:53:52 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> bob, if you were to use either variety (dried) in a batch of chili,
>>> what would you do?
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> I use both. If I had to use just one, it would be the guajillos but the
>> flavor will not be as complex.
>>
>> Bob

> what i meant was, do you rehydrate them, or just chop them up and add
> to the chili? about how much for chili with beans with about one
> pound of meat? that sort of thing.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I remove the stems and most of the seeds, stew the peppers in water
until they plump up and the anchos get tender, then I liquefy them in a
blender with the soaking water. It makes a dark red paste that I add to
the chili.

How many to use for 1 pound of meat? I dunno, probably about 1 large
ancho and 2 or 3 guajillo or New Mexico peppers. Add chili powder later
if you undershoot it. HTH

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:31:50 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >On another note, had a cookbook about Vietnamese food out of the
> >library. The American author only ever specified jalapenos where green
> >chiles were called for, rather than the thin green chiles which would be
> >more typical. Talk about two different tastes!

> that's a little strange. was it an older book, assuming maybe the
> proper chiles were too hard to get? (though usually such books note
> that this would be a necessary substitution, not optimal.)
>
> your pal,
> blake

No...copyright 2006.
Quick and Easy Vietnamese by Nancie McDermott.

The right sort of chiles have been available in Chinese/Vietnamese shops
for many years, so there's no excuse really.
She also advocates using tinned sugar cane for 'sugar cane shrimp/pork'.
The tinned variety tastes awful and fresh is normally available anywhere
one can buy decent fish sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

noted and logged. thanks, bob.

your pal,