Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fish & Chips

Tonight I made the fish and chips recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

OMG! The fish came out so crunchy and perfect. I gorged myself on
it.

The only cod available to me was frozen.

There were 4 decent sized pieces, and the rest were tiny little sad
things the size of perch filets.

Well, I decided to slap 2 together, battered them as a single unit,
and they stayed together and cooked like a large filet.

YUM!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch@... wrote in
:

> Tonight I made the fish and chips recipe from America's Test
> Kitchen.
>
> OMG! The fish came out so crunchy and perfect. I gorged
> myself on it.
>
> The only cod available to me was frozen.
>
> There were 4 decent sized pieces, and the rest were tiny
> little sad things the size of perch filets.
>
> Well, I decided to slap 2 together, battered them as a single
> unit, and they stayed together and cooked like a large filet.
>
> YUM!

"The full recipe is only available for registered users of
AmericasTestKitchen.com."

Posted to rec.food.cooking
tom tom is offline

sandi wrote:
> Mitch@... wrote in
> :
>
>> Tonight I made the fish and chips recipe from America's Test
>> Kitchen.
>>
>> OMG! The fish came out so crunchy and perfect. I gorged
>> myself on it.
>>
>> The only cod available to me was frozen.
>>
>> There were 4 decent sized pieces, and the rest were tiny
>> little sad things the size of perch filets.
>>
>> Well, I decided to slap 2 together, battered them as a single
>> unit, and they stayed together and cooked like a large filet.
>>
>> YUM!

> "The full recipe is only available for registered users of
> AmericasTestKitchen.com."

Could you post the recipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in
:

> On 15 Oct 2007 02:29:09 GMT, sandi wrote:
>
>> "The full recipe is only available for registered users of
>> AmericasTestKitchen.com."

> And I just posted the recipe with my login (yes, that was one of
> my email addresses).
>
> -sw

I guess the link didn't work that way for me.

Thanks though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

sandi wrote:

> I guess the link didn't work that way for me.
>
> Thanks though.

Goto:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...3416&iSeason=7

Enter " in the box on the RIGHT side
that says "Already Registered" and click submit

If you don't go straight to the recipe page, click on
the above URL again

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
tom tom is offline

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:45:04 -0500, tom wrote:
>
> How hard is it to click a link and cut and paste a simple email
> address? Sheesh.
>
> -sw

twit..........

Fish and Chips
from the Episode: Fish and Chips at Home
Buy the 2007 Cookbook, Get the 2007 DVD Boxed Set FREE!

Ask your fishmonger to remove the thin tail portions of the fish. For
safety, use a Dutch oven with at least a 7-quart capacity. Any beer will
work in this recipe, even nonalcoholic beer, with the exception of dark
stouts and ales. Serve with traditional malt vinegar or with tartar sauce.

Serves 4
3 pounds russet potatoes (about 4 large potatoes), peeled, ends and
sides squared off, and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch by 1/2-inch fries (see
illustrations below)
3 quarts peanut oil (or canola oil), plus 1/4 additional cup
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Table salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 pounds 1-inch-thick cod fillet (or other thick white fish, such
as hake or haddock) cut into eight 3-ounce pieces
1 1/2 cups beer (12 ounces), cold

See Illustrations Below: Getting the Fish and Chips in Sync

1. Place cut fries in large microwaveable bowl, toss with 1/4 cup oil, and
cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high power until potatoes are
partially translucent and pliable but still offer some resistance when
pierced with tip of paring knife, 6 to 8 minutes, tossing them with rubber
spatula halfway through cooking time. Carefully pull back plastic wrap from
side farthest from you and drain potatoes into large mesh strainer set over
sink. Rinse well under cold running water. Spread potatoes onto kitchen
towels and pat dry. Let rest until room temperature, at least 10 minutes and
up to 1 hour.

2. While fries cool, whisk flour, cornstarch, cayenne, paprika, pepper, and
2 teaspoons salt in large mixing bowl; transfer 3/4 cup of mixture to rimmed
baking sheet. Add baking powder to bowl and whisk to combine.

3. In heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat 2 quarts oil over medium heat to 350
degrees. Add fries to hot oil and increase heat to high. Fry, stirring with
mesh spider or slotted metal spoon, until potatoes turn light golden and
just begin to brown at corners, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer fries to thick
paper bag or paper towels to drain.

4. Reduce heat to medium-high, add remaining quart of oil, and heat oil to
375 degrees. Meanwhile, thoroughly dry fish with paper towels and dredge
each piece in flour mixture on baking sheet; transfer pieces to wire rack,
shaking off excess flour. Add 1 1/4 cups beer to flour mixture in mixing
bowl and stir until mixture is just combined (batter will be lumpy). Add
remaining beer as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking after each
addition, until batter falls from whisk in thin, steady stream and leaves
faint trail across surface of batter. Using tongs, dip 1 piece fish in
batter and let excess run off, shaking gently. Place battered fish back onto
baking sheet with flour mixture and turn to coat both sides. Repeat with
remaining fish, keeping pieces in single layer on baking sheet.

5. When oil reaches 375 degrees, increase heat to high and add battered fish
to oil with tongs, gently shaking off excess flour. Fry, stirring
occasionally, until golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer fish to thick
paper bag or paper towels to drain. Allow oil to return to 375 degrees.

6. Add all fries back to oil and fry until golden brown and crisp, 3 to 5
minutes. Transfer to fresh paper bag or paper towels to drain. Season fries
with salt to taste and serve immediately with fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

tom wrote:

> twit..........
>
> Fish and Chips

Dude, you left out all the nifty pictures.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg > wrote in
. net:

> sandi wrote:
>
>> I guess the link didn't work that way for me.
>>
>> Thanks though.

> Goto:
>
> http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...ipeids=3416&iS
> eason=7
>
> Enter " in the box on the RIGHT side
> that says "Already Registered" and click submit
>
> If you don't go straight to the recipe page, click on
> the above URL again

Thank you so very much.
Thank worked!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 03:40:56 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>tom wrote:
>
>> twit..........
>>
>> Fish and Chips

>Dude, you left out all the nifty pictures.

this is a text only news group

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 03:40:56 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>

>>tom wrote:
>>

>>>twit..........
>>>
>>>Fish and Chips

>>Dude, you left out all the nifty pictures.

> this is a text only news group

<whoosh>

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Could you post the recipe?

Okay, I see the recipe is posted.
That site is the best $20 I've ever spent. Their whole archive is in
there.

We love the TV show. We've made something from every episode we've
seen, it's always been excellent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Sqwertz > said:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:38:11 GMT, Mitch@... wrote:
>
> > Tonight I made the fish and chips recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

> I've used the batter recipe to make salmon, tilapia, and roughy
> fish and chips. Mahi Mahi doesn't work. Trust me.
>
> http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...3416&iSeason=7
>
> You can use the email address " to login.

Interesting! My mom used to do the best fish, pan fryed or deep
fried. That was good because we lived on Hood Canal and got a *lot*
of fresh wild fish. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention
to her cooking processesses...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Little Malice" > wrote in message
That was good because we lived on Hood Canal and got a *lot*
> of fresh wild fish. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention
> to her cooking processesses...
>
> --
> Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Little Malice" > wrote in message
That was good because we lived on Hood Canal and got a *lot*
> of fresh wild fish. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention
> to her cooking processesses...
>
> --
> Jani in WA

We went there once to get oysters -- we lived nearby on Vashon Island - once
on Murray Island.
DH still misses it sometimes.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking