Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Creamy Banana Pudding

Ingredients
3 medium bananas, sliced and dipped in lemon juice
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 (3 1/2 oz.) package instant vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
2 cups (1 pint) whipped cream, whipped
36 vanilla wafers

Methods
In a large mixing bowl, combine condensed milk and water.
Add pudding mix; beat until well blended. Chill for 5 minutes. Fold in
whipped cream.
Spoon 1 cup of pudding mixture into 2 1/2 quart round glass serving
bowl. Top with one-third each of the vanilla wafers, bananas and
pudding.
Repeat layering ending with pudding mixture. Chill thoroughly. Garnish
as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
TIP: Mixture can be layered in individual serving dishes. Garnish as
desired.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 5:09 am, Best_chef > wrote:

I don't believe that you are even the WORST chef.

Now, finish your roadkill possum stew, or no banana stuff.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 6:49 am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On Oct 11, 5:09 am, Best_chef > wrote:
>
> I don't believe that you are even the WORST chef.
>
> Now, finish your roadkill possum stew, or no banana stuff.
>
> --Bryan

Anyone who has to depend on pudding mix and sweetened condensed milk
should be locked in the freezer. Ugh. I can't make anything with
that disgusting milk stuff.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Oct 11, 6:49 am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>> On Oct 11, 5:09 am, Best_chef > wrote:
>>
>> I don't believe that you are even the WORST chef.
>>
>> Now, finish your roadkill possum stew, or no banana stuff.
>>
>> --Bryan

> Anyone who has to depend on pudding mix and sweetened condensed milk
> should be locked in the freezer. Ugh. I can't make anything with
> that disgusting milk stuff.
>
> N.

I agree. It has a very unpleasant odor and taste to me. Not to mention
that the recipe posted was already sweet with the use of the "instant
pudding" mix.
I'd rather have a homemade custard that isn't as sweet and lets the true
banana flavor shine. I don't want to *only* taste "sweet"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> I agree. It has a very unpleasant odor and taste to me. Not to mention
> that the recipe posted was already sweet with the use of the "instant
> pudding" mix.
> I'd rather have a homemade custard that isn't as sweet and lets the true
> banana flavor shine. I don't want to *only* taste "sweet"

You will notice the recipe below includes cream cheese. It tastes sweet,
but not overly sweet. I use this recipe, but I do not include Cool
Whip, and I do not use that many bananas.

Becca

Banana Pudding

* 1 (3.4-ounce) package vanilla pudding, instant or cooked
* 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
* 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 (8-ounce) container Cool Whip
* 1 to 2 (12-ounce) boxes vanilla wafers
* 6 to 10 bananas, depending on size

Prepare the vanilla pudding according to the directions on the box,
using milk. Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the pudding to the
cream cheese, then the milk and vanilla. Mix well. Fold in the Cool Whip.

Layer the dish alternately with wafers, bananas and pudding; the pudding
layers should be about 1 inch thick. Repeat until you run out of
pudding. Scatter crushed wafers over the top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default From-scratch old-fashioned banana pudding (was: Creamy Banana Pudding

I made this a while back, and it was great. No pre-packaged
anything. (Well, except for the vanilla wafers).

It wasn't difficult.

Old Fashioned Bananan Pudding

Pudding

* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 4 egg yolks
* 1 box of vanilla Wafers
* 4-5 ripe bananas

Meringue

* 4 egg whites, at room temperature
* 5 tablespoons sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375F

Line the bottom of a 9x9-inch baking dish with a layer of
vanilla wafers. (This recipe will not use the whole box, so
you may snack along the way, but don't get carried away.)

Peel the bananas and slice into 3/8-inch rounds. Cover the
banana slices with plastic wrap to keep them from darkening,
and quickly make your pudding.

Combine the sugar, flour and salt in bowl, mix well, and set
aside.

In a heavy saucepan, beat egg yolks well (just use a fork
or a whisk, but beat well). Over medium heat, add the flour
mixture to the egg yolks, alternately, with the milk and
vanilla, stirring constantly.

Bring to a gentle boil and, when mixture begins to thicken,
add butter, continuing to stir to prevent scorching. When
the mixture reaches pudding consistency, remove from heat.

Place a layer of banana slices in the baking dish on top
of the vanilla wafers. Pour, spreading as necessary, half
of the pudding over the wafers and banana slices. Put
down another layer of vanilla wafers and another layer of
bananas, and cover with the remaining pudding.

For the meringue, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer
until they form soft peaks. Add sugar, a tablespoon at a
time, and cream of tartar, and beat until stiff peaks are
formed. Fold the vanilla into the meringue, and spread the
meringue over the pudding.

Place in a preheated 375F oven and bake until browned, 12 to
15 minutes, depending upon your oven.

--
Mike Van Pelt | Wikipedia. The roulette wheel of knowledge.
mvp at calweb.com | --Blair P. Houghton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 03:09:35 -0700, Best_chef >
wrote:

>Ingredients
> 3 medium bananas, sliced and dipped in lemon juice
>1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
>1 1/2 cups cold water
>1 (3 1/2 oz.) package instant vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
>2 cups (1 pint) whipped cream, whipped
>36 vanilla wafers
>

> Methods
> In a large mixing bowl, combine condensed milk and water.
>Add pudding mix; beat until well blended. Chill for 5 minutes. Fold in
>whipped cream.
>Spoon 1 cup of pudding mixture into 2 1/2 quart round glass serving
>bowl. Top with one-third each of the vanilla wafers, bananas and
>pudding.
>Repeat layering ending with pudding mixture. Chill thoroughly. Garnish
>as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
>TIP: Mixture can be layered in individual serving dishes. Garnish as
>desired.
>Makes 8 to 10 servings
>Preparation time: 15 minutes

This recipe won't make what I consider creamy pudding. Any instant
pudding has a grainy texture that is, by any standards, not creamy,
even if it did taste good, which it doesn't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> I made this a while back, and it was great. No pre-packaged
> anything. (Well, except for the vanilla wafers).
>
> It wasn't difficult.
>
> Old Fashioned Bananan Pudding

Sounds like the *ideal* banana pudding recipe! Thank you, Filed and saved.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 13 Oct 2007 07:17:23a, Mike Van Pelt meant to say...

> I made this a while back, and it was great. No pre-packaged
> anything. (Well, except for the vanilla wafers).
>
> It wasn't difficult.
>
> Old Fashioned Bananan Pudding
>
> Pudding
>
> * 1 cup sugar
> * 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
> * 1/2 teaspoon salt
> * 2 cups milk
> * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> * 1 tablespoon butter
> * 4 egg yolks
> * 1 box of vanilla Wafers
> * 4-5 ripe bananas
>
> Meringue
>
> * 4 egg whites, at room temperature
> * 5 tablespoons sugar
> * 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
> * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
>
> Preheat oven to 375F
>
> Line the bottom of a 9x9-inch baking dish with a layer of
> vanilla wafers. (This recipe will not use the whole box, so
> you may snack along the way, but don't get carried away.)
>
> Peel the bananas and slice into 3/8-inch rounds. Cover the
> banana slices with plastic wrap to keep them from darkening,
> and quickly make your pudding.
>
> Combine the sugar, flour and salt in bowl, mix well, and set
> aside.
>
> In a heavy saucepan, beat egg yolks well (just use a fork
> or a whisk, but beat well). Over medium heat, add the flour
> mixture to the egg yolks, alternately, with the milk and
> vanilla, stirring constantly.
>
> Bring to a gentle boil and, when mixture begins to thicken,
> add butter, continuing to stir to prevent scorching. When
> the mixture reaches pudding consistency, remove from heat.
>
> Place a layer of banana slices in the baking dish on top
> of the vanilla wafers. Pour, spreading as necessary, half
> of the pudding over the wafers and banana slices. Put
> down another layer of vanilla wafers and another layer of
> bananas, and cover with the remaining pudding.
>
> For the meringue, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer
> until they form soft peaks. Add sugar, a tablespoon at a
> time, and cream of tartar, and beat until stiff peaks are
> formed. Fold the vanilla into the meringue, and spread the
> meringue over the pudding.
>
> Place in a preheated 375F oven and bake until browned, 12 to
> 15 minutes, depending upon your oven.

Yes, Mike, that is a "proper" banana pudding, complete with meringue!!!

This was the way my grandmother and my family always made it. When I was a
wee child, my grandfather, who stood barely 5 feet tall, used to tease me
that the meringue was "calf slobber". :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
are still free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:04:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sat 13 Oct 2007 07:17:23a, Mike Van Pelt meant to say...
>
>> I made this a while back, and it was great. No pre-packaged
>> anything. (Well, except for the vanilla wafers).
>>
>> It wasn't difficult.
>>
>> Old Fashioned Bananan Pudding
>>
>> Pudding
>>
>> * 1 cup sugar
>> * 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
>> * 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> * 2 cups milk
>> * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>> * 1 tablespoon butter
>> * 4 egg yolks
>> * 1 box of vanilla Wafers
>> * 4-5 ripe bananas
>>
>> Meringue
>>
>> * 4 egg whites, at room temperature
>> * 5 tablespoons sugar
>> * 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
>> * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
>>
>> Preheat oven to 375F
>>
>> Line the bottom of a 9x9-inch baking dish with a layer of
>> vanilla wafers. (This recipe will not use the whole box, so
>> you may snack along the way, but don't get carried away.)
>>
>> Peel the bananas and slice into 3/8-inch rounds. Cover the
>> banana slices with plastic wrap to keep them from darkening,
>> and quickly make your pudding.
>>
>> Combine the sugar, flour and salt in bowl, mix well, and set
>> aside.
>>
>> In a heavy saucepan, beat egg yolks well (just use a fork
>> or a whisk, but beat well). Over medium heat, add the flour
>> mixture to the egg yolks, alternately, with the milk and
>> vanilla, stirring constantly.
>>
>> Bring to a gentle boil and, when mixture begins to thicken,
>> add butter, continuing to stir to prevent scorching. When
>> the mixture reaches pudding consistency, remove from heat.
>>
>> Place a layer of banana slices in the baking dish on top
>> of the vanilla wafers. Pour, spreading as necessary, half
>> of the pudding over the wafers and banana slices. Put
>> down another layer of vanilla wafers and another layer of
>> bananas, and cover with the remaining pudding.
>>
>> For the meringue, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer
>> until they form soft peaks. Add sugar, a tablespoon at a
>> time, and cream of tartar, and beat until stiff peaks are
>> formed. Fold the vanilla into the meringue, and spread the
>> meringue over the pudding.
>>
>> Place in a preheated 375F oven and bake until browned, 12 to
>> 15 minutes, depending upon your oven.
>>

>Yes, Mike, that is a "proper" banana pudding, complete with meringue!!!
>
>This was the way my grandmother and my family always made it. When I was a
>wee child, my grandfather, who stood barely 5 feet tall, used to tease me
>that the meringue was "calf slobber". :-)

My mother's recipe is similar, with one exception. She did not use all
purpose flour. She always used Softasilk Cake Flour which produces a
noticeably smoother pudding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:38:44 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Mike Van Pelt wrote:
>> I made this a while back, and it was great. No pre-packaged
>> anything. (Well, except for the vanilla wafers).
>>
>> It wasn't difficult.
>>
>> Old Fashioned Bananan Pudding

>Sounds like the *ideal* banana pudding recipe! Thank you, Filed and saved.
>Goomba

It sounds heavenly.

aloha,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
raymond > wrote:
>>> Old Fashioned Bananan Pudding

>My mother's recipe is similar, with one exception. She did
>not use all purpose flour. She always used Softasilk Cake
>Flour which produces a noticeably smoother pudding.

Ah... I'll have to try that the next time I make it.

--
Mike Van Pelt | Wikipedia. The roulette wheel of knowledge.
mvp at calweb.com | --Blair P. Houghton
KE6BVH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 9:17 am, (Mike Van Pelt) wrote:
> I made this a while back, and it was great. No pre-packaged
> anything. (Well, except for the vanilla wafers).
>
> It wasn't difficult.
>
> Old Fashioned Bananan Pudding
>
> Pudding
>
> * 1 cup sugar
> * 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
> * 1/2 teaspoon salt
> * 2 cups milk
> * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> * 1 tablespoon butter
> * 4 egg yolks
> * 1 box of vanilla Wafers
> * 4-5 ripe bananas
> --
> Mike Van Pelt | Wikipedia. The roulette wheel of knowledge.
> mvp at calweb.com | --Blair P. Houghton
> KE6BVH

Sounds like a keeper, although vanilla wafers and meringue don't
belong in pudding. I'd call this a banana cream pie, not a pudding.
But that's just me. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 17 Oct 2007 07:11:35a, Mike Van Pelt meant to say...

>>My mother's recipe is similar, with one exception. She did
>>not use all purpose flour. She always used Softasilk Cake
>>Flour which produces a noticeably smoother pudding.

> Ah... I'll have to try that the next time I make it.

Cornstarch works well, too, and has a less "starchy" taste.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
are still free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 17 Oct 2007 08:40:07a, Nancy2 meant to say...

> On Oct 13, 9:17 am, (Mike Van Pelt) wrote:
>> I made this a while back, and it was great. No pre-packaged
>> anything. (Well, except for the vanilla wafers).
>>
>> It wasn't difficult.
>>
>> Old Fashioned Bananan Pudding
>>
>> Pudding
>>
>> * 1 cup sugar
>> * 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
>> * 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> * 2 cups milk
>> * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>> * 1 tablespoon butter
>> * 4 egg yolks
>> * 1 box of vanilla Wafers
>> * 4-5 ripe bananas --
>> Mike Van Pelt | Wikipedia. The roulette wheel of knowledge.
>> mvp at calweb.com | --Blair P. Houghton
>> KE6BVH

> Sounds like a keeper, although vanilla wafers and meringue don't
> belong in pudding. I'd call this a banana cream pie, not a pudding.
> But that's just me. ;-)
>
> N.

A traditional "southern" banana pudding _always_ has vanilla wafers and
meringue. A banana cream pie of any merit has a pastry crust and either
whipped cream or meringue on top. In the South, "that's the law"!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
are still free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 10:40 am, Nancy2 > wrote:

> although vanilla wafers and meringue don't
> belong in pudding. I'd call this a banana cream pie, not a pudding.
> But that's just me. ;-)

Oh but it does!! This version and other similar versions have been
around for decades, at the very least 60 years. Probably longer.
Have you ever had a real, honest to goodness, bonafide, banana
pudding??? They are absolutely just delicious, no doubt about it.
Probably the reason they are a favorite at family get togethers and
Sunday dinner here in the South.

Banana cream pie is entirely a different animal. The only similarity
is that they both have bananas as their main ingredient. Other than
that, they are as different as night and day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 05:04:30 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>A traditional "southern" banana pudding _always_ has vanilla wafers and
>meringue. A banana cream pie of any merit has a pastry crust and either
>whipped cream or meringue on top. In the South, "that's the law"!
>
>--
>Wayne Boatwright

Dayumn, man. It's soooo good to see you back here on a regular basis!
I still can't believe my eyes when I see your name.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 19 Oct 2007 07:19:40p, meant to say...

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 05:04:30 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>A traditional "southern" banana pudding _always_ has vanilla wafers and
>>meringue. A banana cream pie of any merit has a pastry crust and either
>>whipped cream or meringue on top. In the South, "that's the law"!
>>
>>--
>>Wayne Boatwright

> Dayumn, man. It's soooo good to see you back here on a regular basis!
> I still can't believe my eyes when I see your name.

Thankee, Barbara!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright

The meek are getting ready.