Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Indian flat bread - Rotis!

Does anyone know of any tips to make rotis? I can't seem to get it
done right. Here are my questions:

1. What temperature water?
2. Salt or no salt in the wheat/water batter?
3. What flame fire do I use on the pan (i.e. high, low, medium)?
4. Should I heat it directly on the fire after briefly heating on the
pan? Another words, right after it's resilient enough to be handled
with my hand, can/should I transfer it to the fire?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 03:45:14 -0000, Stem sells
> wrote:

>Does anyone know of any tips to make rotis? I can't seem to get it
>done right. Here are my questions:
>
>1. What temperature water?

Room tempurature

>2. Salt or no salt in the wheat/water batter?

no salt for rotis. Add salt and they are chapatis. The flour should be
chapati/atta flour. You can substitute a 75/25 mix of finely sifted (to
remove coarse particles) whole wheat and all-purpose flour.

>3. What flame fire do I use on the pan (i.e. high, low, medium)?

medium-high to high

>4. Should I heat it directly on the fire after briefly heating on the
>pan? Another words, right after it's resilient enough to be handled
>with my hand, can/should I transfer it to the fire?

Just cooking on the griddle is fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Subject : Indian flat bread - Rotis!
> From : Stem sells

> Does anyone know of any tips to make rotis? I can't seem to get it
> done right. Here are my questions:

Can you tell me what type of flour are you using and what you mean by not
right? Are they too dry? Too heavy? How do they taste?

> 1. What temperature water?

Luke warm. Leave the dough for about 20-30 minutes then knead it again and
leave it for a further 15-20 minutes before rolling out and cooking.

> 2. Salt or no salt in the wheat/water batter?

No salt but if you find the roti's are too dry add a bit of butter.

> 3. What flame fire do I use on the pan (i.e. high, low, medium)?

Medium but make sure the pan/tawa/skillet or whatever you are using is HOT
before you put the roti on.

> 4. Should I heat it directly on the fire after briefly heating on the
> pan? Another words, right after it's resilient enough to be handled
> with my hand, can/should I transfer it to the fire?

Yes for 20-30 seconds on each side. During this process the roti should puff
up to several times it's size, like this :

http://sherlyisaac.com/images/sherly...flat-bread.jpg

Instead of directly placing the roti over the fire these are also used :

http://www.ishopindian.com/shop/cata...2-p-22702.html

Indian flat breads Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 4 16-10-2011 10:44 AM
How to make rotis (Indian flat bread), paratha (layered flat bread), and other Indian breads... Amanda General Cooking 3 01-01-2007 07:23 PM
flat bread dougcullen Sourdough 16 31-12-2004 06:25 PM
flat bread dougcullen Sourdough 0 25-12-2004 11:07 PM
Bhature (Deep fried indian flat bread ) Ronnie Rao General Cooking 0 23-09-2004 11:04 PM