FoodBanter.com

-   -   Semi food related, though more marketing related (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/136844-semi-food-related-though.html)

Brian Christiansen 09-10-2007 04:14 AM

Semi food related, though more marketing related

Suppose I owned a potato chip company, and for the sake of this hypothetical
example, we will call the company "lito fray," and you owned a company that
made BBQ sauce, called "CK Pastermiece." Then, suppose we struck a deal
where instead of my BBQ chips simply saying "BBQ flavored" on the package,
they said "Flavored with CK Pastermiece," and had a picture of a bottle of
your BBQ sauce on them.

First, would such a contract be about me exclusively buying BBQ sauce, or
dehydrated BBQ sauce, or whatever goes on BBQ chips from you, or is it more
of a marketing deal allowing me to use your picture and name on my potato
chips, with the actual way they are made changing very little if any.

Second, would I pay you for using your logo's image on my bags of chips
(presumably making more people buy my chips), or would you pay me for
increasing your exposure, and thus advertising.

Third to make this question kind of food related, is there that much
difference between the chips that say "BBQ flavored" and the ones that say
"...CK Pastermiece?" I have had the chips that this hypothetical situation
is based on, and the ones that say simply "BBQ flavored" taste very little,
if any different than those that say "...CK Pastermiece."

Brian Christiansen

Brian Christiansen 09-10-2007 06:14 AM

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> At least that's my take on it.
>
> Why?

No real deep and complex reason. I was just eating some Lay's BBQ chips the
other day, which for a few years said "flavored with KC masterpiece", but
just recently went back to simply saying "BBQ flavored", at least around
here (Tucson, AZ), and these were just some things I got to pondering.

Brian Christiansen

Melba's Jammin' 10-10-2007 12:29 AM

Semi food related, though more marketing related

In article >,
"Brian Christiansen" > wrote:

> Second, would I pay you for using your logo's image on my bags of chips
> (presumably making more people buy my chips),

Yes, indeed. It's what happened to blue jeans some years ago. Guess?
Girbeau? My dear friend, the late Widow Geraldine refused to buy
designer jeans with this rationale: "I'll be damned if I'm giving free
advertising to that company. If I'm wearing anyone's name on my ass,
it'll be my own." She was a woman of few words. God rest her soul.

> or would you pay me for increasing your exposure, and thus
> advertising.

> Brian Christiansen

In your dreams. I believe you'd see the latter only if your chips have
a special cachet about them.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Dinner at Yummy! 9-15-2007 Pictures included.

Brian Christiansen 10-10-2007 01:06 AM

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> Yes, indeed. It's what happened to blue jeans some years ago. Guess?
> Girbeau? My dear friend, the late Widow Geraldine refused to buy
> designer jeans with this rationale: "I'll be damned if I'm giving free
> advertising to that company. If I'm wearing anyone's name on my ass,
> it'll be my own." She was a woman of few words. God rest her soul.

That really has very little to do with my question. In the case you
describe, it is a person making a personal decision who does not have to
really worry about making a profit, advertising, market share, etc.. In the
case I describe, it is 2 companies that do have to worry about making a
profit, advertising, market share, etc.

>> or would you pay me for increasing your exposure, and thus
>> advertising.

> In your dreams. I believe you'd see the latter only if your chips have
> a special cachet about them.

I have no idea exactly what you mean by a "special cachet," but I am very
certain that frito-lay is the best selling chip in the US, and I am pretty
sure that is a "special cachet" as far as business deals go. That is what
would make such a deal attractive to a company that makes BBQ sauce.

Either way, I am quite sure it is business considerations, and not any kind
of personal considerations that brought about such a business deal.

Brian Christiansen.

jmcquown 10-10-2007 04:49 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Brian Christiansen" > wrote:
>
>> Second, would I pay you for using your logo's image on my bags of
>> chips (presumably making more people buy my chips),

> Yes, indeed. It's what happened to blue jeans some years ago. Guess?
> Girbeau? My dear friend, the late Widow Geraldine refused to buy
> designer jeans with this rationale: "I'll be damned if I'm giving
> free advertising to that company. If I'm wearing anyone's name on my
> ass, it'll be my own." She was a woman of few words. God rest her
> soul.

Bless her! I even rip the tags off my Levi's. They don't need my help
selling jeans.

Jill

blake murphy 10-10-2007 07:02 PM

Semi food related, though more marketing related

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 18:29:55 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Brian Christiansen" > wrote:
>
>> Second, would I pay you for using your logo's image on my bags of chips
>> (presumably making more people buy my chips),

>Yes, indeed. It's what happened to blue jeans some years ago. Guess?
>Girbeau? My dear friend, the late Widow Geraldine refused to buy
>designer jeans with this rationale: "I'll be damned if I'm giving free
>advertising to that company. If I'm wearing anyone's name on my ass,
>it'll be my own." She was a woman of few words. God rest her soul.

with some of the butts i've seen galumphing around, the owners would
do well to put somebody else's name on them.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy 10-10-2007 07:04 PM

Semi food related, though more marketing related

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:49:41 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Brian Christiansen" > wrote:
>>
>>> Second, would I pay you for using your logo's image on my bags of
>>> chips (presumably making more people buy my chips),

>> Yes, indeed. It's what happened to blue jeans some years ago. Guess?
>> Girbeau? My dear friend, the late Widow Geraldine refused to buy
>> designer jeans with this rationale: "I'll be damned if I'm giving
>> free advertising to that company. If I'm wearing anyone's name on my
>> ass, it'll be my own." She was a woman of few words. God rest her
>> soul.
>>

>Bless her! I even rip the tags off my Levi's. They don't need my help
>selling jeans.
>
>Jill

i'm sure anyone seeing your no doubt magnificent ass would run out to
buy a pair otherwise.

your pal,
blake

Dave Smith[_2_] 10-10-2007 07:20 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Yes, indeed. It's what happened to blue jeans some years ago. Guess?
> Girbeau? My dear friend, the late Widow Geraldine refused to buy
> designer jeans with this rationale: "I'll be damned if I'm giving free
> advertising to that company. If I'm wearing anyone's name on my ass,
> it'll be my own." She was a woman of few words. God rest her soul.

Some brand name labels are subtle enough. I draw the line on outright
advertising. I can't believe the number of people who actually pay for
caps, T shirts, jackets etc. emblazoned with the name and pictures of
products. If someone is selling me a product and gives me something like
that I might wear it, but I sure as hell won't pay to do their advertising
for them.

blake murphy 11-10-2007 09:19 PM

Semi food related, though more marketing related

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:20:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Yes, indeed. It's what happened to blue jeans some years ago. Guess?
>> Girbeau? My dear friend, the late Widow Geraldine refused to buy
>> designer jeans with this rationale: "I'll be damned if I'm giving free
>> advertising to that company. If I'm wearing anyone's name on my ass,
>> it'll be my own." She was a woman of few words. God rest her soul.

>Some brand name labels are subtle enough. I draw the line on outright
>advertising. I can't believe the number of people who actually pay for
>caps, T shirts, jackets etc. emblazoned with the name and pictures of
>products. If someone is selling me a product and gives me something like
>that I might wear it, but I sure as hell won't pay to do their advertising
>for them.

not quite the same as ripping the tag off your levis, but anyway...

in "Class: A Guide Through the American Status System"
by Paul Fussell, i believe he credits alison lurie with the term
"legible clothing."

"By wearing a garment reading GATORADE or SPORTS ILLUSTRATED or LESTER
LANIN, the prole associates himself with an enterprise the middle
class and prole world judges successful, and thus, for the moment, he
achieves some importance."

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0671792253/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-1175407-9096941#reader-link>

it's a very funny book, that i think i've recommended here before.

<http://www.amazon.com/Class-Through-American-Status-System/dp/0671792253/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/102-1175407-9096941>

your class-struggle pal,
blake

Gregory Morrow[_33_] 15-10-2007 04:22 AM

blake murphy wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:20:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, indeed. It's what happened to blue jeans some years ago. Guess?
> >> Girbeau? My dear friend, the late Widow Geraldine refused to buy
> >> designer jeans with this rationale: "I'll be damned if I'm giving free
> >> advertising to that company. If I'm wearing anyone's name on my ass,
> >> it'll be my own." She was a woman of few words. God rest her soul.

> >Some brand name labels are subtle enough. I draw the line on outright
> >advertising. I can't believe the number of people who actually pay for
> >caps, T shirts, jackets etc. emblazoned with the name and pictures of
> >products. If someone is selling me a product and gives me something like
> >that I might wear it, but I sure as hell won't pay to do their

advertising
> >for them.

> not quite the same as ripping the tag off your levis, but anyway...
>
> in "Class: A Guide Through the American Status System"
> by Paul Fussell, i believe he credits alison lurie with the term
> "legible clothing."
>
> "By wearing a garment reading GATORADE or SPORTS ILLUSTRATED or LESTER
> LANIN, the prole associates himself with an enterprise the middle
> class and prole world judges successful, and thus, for the moment, he
> achieves some importance."

Lester Lanin, lol...actually I have a CD of his.

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0671...1175407-909694

<http://www.amazon.com/Class-Through-.../0671792253/re
f=si3_rdr_bb_product/102-1175407-9096941>

> your class-struggle pal,
> blake

Fussell is a great writer...

--
Best
Greg

Wayne Boatwright[_2_] 15-10-2007 04:23 AM

Semi food related, though more marketing related

Oh pshaw, on Sun 14 Oct 2007 08:22:58p, Gregory Morrow meant to say...

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:20:11 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> >Some brand name labels are subtle enough. I draw the line on outright
>> >advertising. I can't believe the number of people who actually pay for
>> >caps, T shirts, jackets etc. emblazoned with the name and pictures of
>> >products. If someone is selling me a product and gives me something
>> >like that I might wear it, but I sure as hell won't pay to do their
>> >advertising for them.

>> not quite the same as ripping the tag off your levis, but anyway...
>>
>> in "Class: A Guide Through the American Status System"
>> by Paul Fussell, i believe he credits alison lurie with the term
>> "legible clothing."
>>
>> "By wearing a garment reading GATORADE or SPORTS ILLUSTRATED or LESTER
>> LANIN, the prole associates himself with an enterprise the middle
>> class and prole world judges successful, and thus, for the moment, he
>> achieves some importance."

> Lester Lanin, lol...actually I have a CD of his.

OMG, I used to have a reel-to-reel tape of "Lester Lanin at the Tiffany
Ball" from sometime in the late 50s/early 60s.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
are still free.