Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Paying tribute to Columbus

http://i21.tinypic.com/15zi0cy.jpg

If you are reading, Wayne, here's the new stove (not new anymore), but I've
outgrown it already. You can see all the little circles are RED.

Spaghetti (Del Cecco #12)
Red Sauce (one with meat, one without)
Broccoli Rabe (Patsy's Restaurant recipe)
Baby Portabellas
Parmesian Regg (slivers)

Marchesi di Barolo - Barbara d'Alba 2005 (Piedmont) - would buy again --
quite in-expensive,but good.

--
Dee Dee
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
> http://i21.tinypic.com/15zi0cy.jpg
>
> If you are reading, Wayne, here's the new stove (not new anymore), but
> I've outgrown it already. You can see all the little circles are RED.
>
> Spaghetti (Del Cecco #12)
> Red Sauce (one with meat, one without)
> Broccoli Rabe (Patsy's Restaurant recipe)
> Baby Portabellas
> Parmesian Regg (slivers)
>
> Marchesi di Barolo - Barbara d'Alba 2005 (Piedmont) - would buy again --
> quite in-expensive,but good.

I forgot to mention that also in honor of Columbus Day, I am finishing up
watching tonight Martin Scorsese's "My Voyage to Italy"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173772/

an 8.2 rating, 2 hrs. 46 minutes, a documentary about the Italian cinema.

As Smitty (JL) says, what more could one want,
Food, Art, Film, and did he say wine? Probably.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 08 Oct 2007 12:03:45p, Dee Dee meant to say...

> http://i21.tinypic.com/15zi0cy.jpg

NICE stove, Dee, but what do you DO with all the food you cook? :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

All dogs go to heaven. Cats watch them leave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> Oh pshaw, on Mon 08 Oct 2007 12:03:45p, Dee Dee meant to say...
>
>> http://i21.tinypic.com/15zi0cy.jpg

> NICE stove, Dee, but what do you DO with all the food you cook? :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

After that meal, we have remaining spaghetti, sauce and rabe, so

Tonight DH will probably have a bit of the left-over spaghetti and
meat-sauce and I will graze on the rabe and finish it up.

I do get myself into jams; I have on the counter now a box of tomatoes, box
of mangos and some avocados. I guess I'll be having a tomato with every
meal.

What to do! What to do!

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> I forgot to mention that also in honor of Columbus Day, I am finishing up
> watching tonight Martin Scorsese's "My Voyage to Italy"
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173772/
>
> an 8.2 rating, 2 hrs. 46 minutes, a documentary about the Italian cinema.
>
> As Smitty (JL) says, what more could one want,
> Food, Art, Film, and did he say wine? Probably.
>
> Dee Dee

Also tonight on PBS at 9 eastern they're having a 2 hour special on
Columbus.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote on Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:03:01 -0500:

??>> I forgot to mention that also in honor of Columbus Day, I
??>> am finishing up watching tonight Martin Scorsese's "My
??>> Voyage to Italy" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173772/
??>>
??>> an 8.2 rating, 2 hrs. 46 minutes, a documentary about the
??>> Italian cinema.
??>>
??>> As Smitty (JL) says, what more could one want,
??>> Food, Art, Film, and did he say wine? Probably.
??>>
??>> Dee Dee

Italian food is doubless more interesting than Welsh or English
but I am waiting to celebrate Richard Americk's Day :-)

According to Chamber's Dictionary, America is named for him,
not that Vespucci bum!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 08 Oct 2007 12:58:29p, Dee Dee meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> Oh pshaw, on Mon 08 Oct 2007 12:03:45p, Dee Dee meant to say...
>>
>>> http://i21.tinypic.com/15zi0cy.jpg

>> NICE stove, Dee, but what do you DO with all the food you cook? :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> After that meal, we have remaining spaghetti, sauce and rabe, so
>
> Tonight DH will probably have a bit of the left-over spaghetti and
> meat-sauce and I will graze on the rabe and finish it up.
>
> I do get myself into jams; I have on the counter now a box of tomatoes,
> box of mangos and some avocados. I guess I'll be having a tomato with
> every meal.
>
> What to do! What to do!
>
> Dee Dee

Somehow I just know you manage. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

All dogs go to heaven. Cats watch them leave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 4:03 pm, Scott > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
>
> > I forgot to mention that also in honor of Columbus Day, I am finishing up
> > watching tonight Martin Scorsese's "My Voyage to Italy"
> >http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173772/

> > an 8.2 rating, 2 hrs. 46 minutes, a documentary about the Italian cinema.

> > As Smitty (JL) says, what more could one want,
> > Food, Art, Film, and did he say wine? Probably.

> > Dee Dee

> Also tonight on PBS at 9 eastern they're having a 2 hour special on
> Columbus.

I thought that was one of the worst-produced specials on PBS in a long
time. I just couldn't get interested, even though I love watching
history specials. Speaking of which, the special on the History
channel was really excellent.

I taped the Columbus one on PBS, but turned off the recorder after
about the first twenty minutes - it just never got any better.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:08:00 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Scott wrote on Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:03:01 -0500:
>
> ??>> I forgot to mention that also in honor of Columbus Day, I
> ??>> am finishing up watching tonight Martin Scorsese's "My
> ??>> Voyage to Italy" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173772/
> ??>>
> ??>> an 8.2 rating, 2 hrs. 46 minutes, a documentary about the
> ??>> Italian cinema.
> ??>>
> ??>> As Smitty (JL) says, what more could one want,
> ??>> Food, Art, Film, and did he say wine? Probably.
> ??>>
> ??>> Dee Dee
>
>Italian food is doubless more interesting than Welsh or English
>but I am waiting to celebrate Richard Americk's Day :-)
>
> According to Chamber's Dictionary, America is named for him,
>not that Vespucci bum!
>
>James Silverton

<singing> god bless vespucciland!

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Tue, 09 Oct 2007 19:15:11 GMT:

??>> Italian food is doubless more interesting than Welsh or
??>> English but I am waiting to celebrate Richard Americk's
??>> Day :-)
??>>
??>> According to Chamber's Dictionary, America is named for
??>> him, not that Vespucci bum!
??>>
??>> James Silverton

bm> <singing> god bless vespucciland!

I can't resist sharing the results of my recent research on
Americk since I wanted to find the dates for his life. I wasn't
totally successful but it might be 1445-1503. Another thing that
turned up is that Americk's major investment in Cabots's voyages
might have been an early example of insider trading in that he
knew what Cabot would find. Apparently, he did a considerable
amount of business in the salted cod brought by Portuguese
fishermen from the Grand Banks and they might have told him
about Newfoundland, which almost certainly they discovered
before Cabot.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> I can't resist sharing the results of my recent research on Americk since
> I wanted to find the dates for his life. I wasn't totally successful but
> it might be 1445-1503. Another thing that turned up is that Americk's
> major investment in Cabots's voyages might have been an early example of
> insider trading in that he knew what Cabot would find. Apparently, he did
> a considerable amount of business in the salted cod brought by Portuguese
> fishermen from the Grand Banks and they might have told him about
> Newfoundland, which almost certainly they discovered before Cabot.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Coming from a diffrent perspective: I enjoyed a poem about the Cabots:

I come from the City of Boston,
The home of the bean and the cod;
Where Lowells speak only to Cabots,
And Cabots speak only to God.

Doing genealogy I came across this poem; DH's direct ancestor married a
Cabot.

--
Dee Dee
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> According to Chamber's Dictionary, America is named for him,
> not that Vespucci bum!

It seems that's just one of the less widespread hipothesys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas#Naming
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'