Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oktoberfest venture

Today we went to Oktoberfest in La Mesa. We met up with daughter
Vicky and son in law Bill
The first thing we did was get some bratwurst and beer. The bratwurst
seemed exceptionally good this year. I don't know if it was because I
was really really hungry or what, but they were really really good. I
like mine with grilled onions and sauerkraut with a little spicy brown
mustard. I cut the end off to show the bratwurst under all that mess
of goodness. See the spices in it mmmmm.
http://i23.tinypic.com/2nvtaom.jpg

After wandering around for a while I was getting hungry for a little
something sweet, and it wasn't a funnel cake I was wanting, and a cup
of coffee. I came across the restaurant Tiramisu Trattoria,
http://i21.tinypic.com/2iv00if.jpg

they are located in downtown La Mesa, right in the heart of
Oktoberfest. I was wanting to sit down in a restaurant and have a cup
of coffee and a little dessert. I walked into the restaurant and saw
the beautiful decor and the tables covered in white tablecloths with
cloth napkins.
http://i22.tinypic.com/2cp7tdl.jpg

Whoa!! I wasn't expecting this, I was afraid just having dessert and
coffee wouldn't be looked upon with much favor. I told the man that
greeted me at the door that I only wanted dessert and coffee. He
happily seated me at a nice booth and a waiter was there quickly with
a dessert and coffee menu. I discussed the desserts with him and found
that most of the desserts are made right there in the restaurant. They
have three different kinds of tiramisu and a baba Amaretto. You have
to click on their link and read the dessert menu, it was so hard to
decide. www.tiramisutrattoria.com
I had a cappuccino
http://i24.tinypic.com/517js.jpg

and the traditional tiramisu.
http://i24.tinypic.com/swpf7p.jpg

http://i23.tinypic.com/54bzw5.jpg

Of course I was taking pictures of my dessert and told the waiter I
have a food blog, he thought I said I kept a food log and wished he
was so disciplined. We both had a laugh over that after I explained
what I meant. The news made it to the kitchen because before long the
chef Anna Maria Baslietto came out and introduced herself to me. She
was so very gracious and explained to me how she makes the tiramisu.
She uses pasteurized eggs and imported Marscapone as well as imported
biscotti. The strawberry tiramisu is her latest creation, I need to
get back there for that one. She is from Genoa and one of the owners
is from Calabria and the other owner is from Mexico City.
Daughter Vicky, and her friend that joined us later, caught up with me
in the restaurant. They weren't hungry and didn't order anything, yet
they were brought glasses of water and were treated as though they had
placed an order.
I was very impressed with the exceptional dessert and service. I am
anxious to go back and try some of their pasta dishes.

After this brief respite, off we were to enjoy more of Oktoberfest,
which of course included more food. Now the girls that were not hungry
for dessert got their appetites back at the beer garden and ate
another bratwurst with potato pancakes, hot German potato salad and
cabbage. I tasted the potato pancakes and the potato salad. The potato
pancakes were delicious and the potato salad was a little flat.
http://i24.tinypic.com/9k9tgy.jpg

Of course it's not Oktoberfest without having a pretzel with mustard,
http://i23.tinypic.com/2mpeihx.jpg

or a piece of lingonberry pie,
http://i22.tinypic.com/2meq3d.jpg

or doing the chicken dance to an oompah band,
http://i24.tinypic.com/10gchdv.jpg

or buying the grandsons marshmallow shooters that came complete with
ammunition.
http://i20.tinypic.com/2me7kfa.jpg

I did buy two, one for each boy, but I had so much fun shooting
marshmallows off in the beer garden that I just might have a hard time
giving one up.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/03

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote in :

> Today we went to Oktoberfest in La Mesa.

Great pics and story, as usual :-)

Only one complaint....... no pictures of any beer!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 08:08:53 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
wrote:

>koko wrote in :
>

>> Today we went to Oktoberfest in La Mesa.

>Great pics and story, as usual :-)
>
>Only one complaint....... no pictures of any beer!!

All that was offered was Samuel Adams lager and Samuel Adams
Octoberfest on tap in plastic 8oz cups.
They were so small and they went down so fast I couldn't get a picture
on any.

Besides, I_was_busy shooting marshmallows into the air.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/03

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote in :

> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 08:08:53 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
> wrote:
>
>>koko wrote in :
>>

>>> Today we went to Oktoberfest in La Mesa.

>>Great pics and story, as usual :-)
>>
>>Only one complaint....... no pictures of any beer!!

> All that was offered was Samuel Adams lager and Samuel Adams
> Octoberfest on tap in plastic 8oz cups.

So an Oktoberfest in food only. Bummer.

> They were so small and they went down so fast I couldn't get a picture
> on any.

LOL!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmbeer&bratwurstMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Whislt in the Barossa, we ducked over to Hahndorf and did our
'Oktoberfest' in August :-)

This was one of the place we went to.........

http://www.webmenu.com.au/menus/SA/G...Hotel/menu/11/

Of course, we had to have the 500ml beers!!

For food, we went for the Bavarian mixed grill and the Trio of Wurst.

http://www.webmenu.com.au/menus/SA/G..._Hotel/menu/6/

> Besides, I_was_busy shooting marshmallows into the air.

Hooligan!!!! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterLucas" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
0.25...
> koko wrote in :
>
>> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 08:08:53 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
>> wrote:

>>>Great pics and story, as usual :-)
>>>
>>>Only one complaint....... no pictures of any beer!!

>> All that was offered was Samuel Adams lager and Samuel Adams
>> Octoberfest on tap in plastic 8oz cups.

> So an Oktoberfest in food only. Bummer.
>

>> They were so small and they went down so fast I couldn't get a picture
>> on any.

> LOL!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmbeer&bratwurstMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>

> Whislt in the Barossa, we ducked over to Hahndorf and did our
> 'Oktoberfest' in August :-)
>
> This was one of the place we went to.........
>
> http://www.webmenu.com.au/menus/SA/G...Hotel/menu/11/
>
> Of course, we had to have the 500ml beers!!

The beers look OK - except for Becks.
And the somewhat funny descriptions...

> For food, we went for the Bavarian mixed grill and the Trio of Wurst.
>
> http://www.webmenu.com.au/menus/SA/G..._Hotel/menu/6/

Blaargh !
Weisswurst on Sauerkraut ?
Barbarians.
Rindsrouladen on Sauerkraut ?
******s.
Selling "Bockwurst" as a Bavarian dish ?
Idiots.

Btw, the "Rindsrouladen" aren't Rindsrouladen.
Those are made with bacon, gerkins, mustard, salt and pepper.

Although I have no great love for the "German cuisine", it's better
than the junk offered at that location.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 00:53:12 -0700, koko wrote:
<snip>

>or buying the grandsons marshmallow shooters that came complete with
>ammunition.
>http://i20.tinypic.com/2me7kfa.jpg

jeez, i thought we were talking liquor here. (what? people drink
jello shooters, don't they?)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" > wrote in news:febkud$8ek$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

> Although I have no great love for the "German cuisine", it's better
> than the junk offered at that location.

It's as German as it's going to get over here, without going to Germany.

Same same, you can only get *authentic* Mexican food in Mexico.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterLucas" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
0.25...
> "Michael Kuettner" > wrote in news:febkud$8ek$1
> @registered.motzarella.org:
>

>> Although I have no great love for the "German cuisine", it's better
>> than the junk offered at that location.
>>

> It's as German as it's going to get over here, without going to Germany.
>
> Same same, you can only get *authentic* Mexican food in Mexico.

Yes and no.
I've heard of some genuine German cooking in the other Australia.
It just saddens me that helpless and innocent dishes are bent beyond
recognition down under.
Weisswurst on Sauerkraut - Shoot the cook !
The only even slightly related sausage to the Weisswurst, which could be
served with Kraut, would be the Augsburger.
And that isn't a Weisswurst, because Weisswurst is boiled and served
with Brez'n and sweet mustard. Always.
And the Rindsroulade is a bad joke.
Do you want a recipe for "Rindsrouladen mit Kartoffelpüree" ?

G'day,
Michael "Bruce from up over" Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" > wrote in news:febsft$42d$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

>> It's as German as it's going to get over here, without going to Germany.
>>
>> Same same, you can only get *authentic* Mexican food in Mexico.
>>

> Yes and no.
> I've heard of some genuine German cooking in the other Australia.
> It just saddens me that helpless and innocent dishes are bent beyond
> recognition down under.
> Weisswurst on Sauerkraut - Shoot the cook !
> The only even slightly related sausage to the Weisswurst, which could be
> served with Kraut, would be the Augsburger.
> And that isn't a Weisswurst, because Weisswurst is boiled and served
> with Brez'n and sweet mustard. Always.
> And the Rindsroulade is a bad joke.
> Do you want a recipe for "Rindsrouladen mit Kartoffelpüree" ?

Nahhh, s'ok.

Not much into (traditional) German food anyways, too stodgy for me.

But the occassional Brat on a bun, with fried onions and mustard is about
my limit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, koko says...

> Today we went to Oktoberfest in La Mesa. We met up with daughter
> Vicky and son in law Bill
> The first thing we did was get some bratwurst and beer. The bratwurst
> seemed exceptionally good this year. I don't know if it was because I
> was really really hungry or what, but they were really really good. I
> like mine with grilled onions and sauerkraut with a little spicy brown
> mustard. I cut the end off to show the bratwurst under all that mess
> of goodness. See the spices in it mmmmm.
> http://i23.tinypic.com/2nvtaom.jpg
>
> After wandering around for a while I was getting hungry for a little
> something sweet, and it wasn't a funnel cake I was wanting, and a cup
> of coffee. I came across the restaurant Tiramisu Trattoria,
> http://i21.tinypic.com/2iv00if.jpg

It's funny how far Italians have spread in the U.S. Of course I come
from a state that is overwhelmingly Italian, Rhode Island.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 21:05:50 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
wrote:

>koko wrote in :
>
>> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 08:08:53 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
>> wrote:

>>>Great pics and story, as usual :-)
>>>
>>>Only one complaint....... no pictures of any beer!!

>> All that was offered was Samuel Adams lager and Samuel Adams
>> Octoberfest on tap in plastic 8oz cups.

>So an Oktoberfest in food only. Bummer.
>

>> They were so small and they went down so fast I couldn't get a picture
>> on any.

>LOL!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmbeer&bratwurstMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>

>Whislt in the Barossa, we ducked over to Hahndorf and did our
>'Oktoberfest' in August :-)
>
>This was one of the place we went to.........
>
>http://www.webmenu.com.au/menus/SA/G...Hotel/menu/11/
>
>Of course, we had to have the 500ml beers!!
>
>For food, we went for the Bavarian mixed grill and the Trio of Wurst.
>
>http://www.webmenu.com.au/menus/SA/G..._Hotel/menu/6/

That looks fantastic. Actually beyond what I could imagine.
Sigh... someday.

>> Besides, I_was_busy shooting marshmallows into the air.
>>

>Hooligan!!!! :-)

Braggert ;-)

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/06

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote in :

>>> Besides, I_was_busy shooting marshmallows into the air.
>>>

>>Hooligan!!!! :-)

> Braggert ;-)

HA!!! I haven't told more than a 1/4 of what we got up to on our two trips
away!! ;-P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 06:14:41 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
wrote:

>>>Hooligan!!!! :-)

>> Braggert ;-)
>>>

>HA!!! I haven't told more than a 1/4 of what we got up to on our two trips
>away!! ;-P

O.K. then....well...smart a** braggert pttffhhh!!!!

koko
---

Oktoberfest Somebody General Cooking 12 24-09-2012 01:37 PM
Craftbrewed Oktoberfest Kevin Kutskill Beer 10 28-10-2005 03:18 AM